Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 17:35   #2026
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by noopster : 24th May 2012 at 23:05. Reason: Refer mod note
Ragul is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th May 2012, 18:15   #2027
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Guys

Are the Traffic dept/RTO the only cops allowed to penalize vehicles for tints? I mean if a brown shirted regular cop out on a bribe hunt decides to rake up a list of offenses and starts talking about my tints, Can I tell him to FO ..?

--R
As per regulations, only a traffic cop can stop for traffic offense. Motor Vehicles related violations are traffic related and hence a regular non-traffic cops has no jurisdiction unless a criminal activity of some nature is involved. Having films is not a "criminal activity" but a mere violation of law.

Further only a cop of the rank of 2 Star (Sub Inspector) or above is authorized to issue a challan and no less. A mere traffic cop can note down the number (or take pictures as in Bangalore) and file in the station for further action but not authorized to issue a challan or collect a fine.

You can argue with them stating these provisions if you want and you will be right. If they wish to harass, they still will in some other form.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 18:24   #2028
MAS
Senior - BHPian

In Chennai, one can see atleast 95% of the cars with sun flims intact. The SC order seems to have reached only a portion of the car owners and most of them seem to have not bothered to follow it. I also saw a TBhpian's car (Punto) at Chromepet with dark tints yesterday evening.

I did see many cabs without sun control films and with glue still on the glass. I did not see any kind of checking today. Were any of you guys stopped like Jebs mentioned in the last page?
Old 24th May 2012, 18:43   #2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyspikey View Post
Woah ! I Still haven't removed mine yet .. It's about time I do it I guess ..

Guess The cops would do a very messy job removing the films .

Is it still legal to have CMVR Approved Films ?

By The Way Have You removed Vijay ?
Hey, sorry I couldn't respond yesterday.

No, I haven't removed mine yet; will wait and watch.

Infact, I rode all the way from near the Trident Hotel on the GST road up to the Chola Sheraton yesterday evening. There was absolutely no police activity on Anna Salai, Cathedral road etc. I also see that most vehicles have sun film on. There were a few which clearly had them removed (could see the residual glue).

Just now (about 15 mts back), rode all the way from T. Nagar up to Porur; absolutely no cop activity.

Vijay
Old 24th May 2012, 18:45   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
If you go through the order SC has mentioned
So don't waste on curtains, get some Petrol/Diesel.
"" 23. In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in holding that use of black films or any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible." "

Curtains are used outside the safety glass. They are suspended from the roof lining. So Technically & legally, I am not putting anything on the glass.
Old 24th May 2012, 19:24   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
"" 23. In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in holding that use of black films or any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible." "

Curtains are used outside the safety glass. They are suspended from the roof lining. So Technically & legally, I am not putting anything on the glass.
The rest of 23. reads thus " It is the VLT of the safety glass without any additional material being pasted upon the safety glasses which must conform with manufacture specifications."

On one hand, "black films or any other material upon safety glass" unequivocally prohibits anything - Sun Control Film, Roll up curtains, regular curtains, newspaper, etc., etc.

However, the usage of the word "pasted" adds to the confusion

My interpretation - In the words of the SC ruling, anything that is not pasted to the glass is permissible, as it will not alter the VLT of the glass. However, explaining to and convincing the cops is going to be very difficult, considering that any detachable curtains, unlike Sun Control Film, is reusable and can be taken away and fitted in another car

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 19:55   #2032
BHPian

I haven't see anything here in Hyderabad yet thankfully. And I really don't agree with this ruling at all. With all the due respect for the court of law - I see no sense in this ruling.
How can just banning sun films reduce crime rate?
If government really wants to enforce the standard, do not allow manufacturing of any sunfilms which go beyond the previous standards and ensure no person gets access to dark ones.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope there will be a change to this ruling soon.
Old 24th May 2012, 20:25   #2033
BHPian

This is a good read and covers most aspects discussed here.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-has-many.html
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 20:27   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
However, the usage of the word "pasted" adds to the confusion
I Agree - Window curtains are allowed i guess since its not "pasted" on the glass.

Privacy is a basic human right which cannot be curtailed. Ideally some intelligent people would want everyone to roam naked so that a "concealed" weapon can be deteced but since "Privacy" is a basic human right, i dont think anything will be done, BUT This is INDIA and anything can happen here. It would be very very difficult to intrude into privacy, but not impossible
Old 24th May 2012, 20:37   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Today, I was caught by the Chennai Cops :(.

I was nearing the Camp Road Juntion at Selaiyur. The traffic cop who was regulating the movement there asked me to proceed. I did the same but caught by another Cop. I told him that I was asked to move by the other cop. He politely told me that I was now caught for the usage of dark tint in my car. They asked my vehicle registration number and entered the same in their device. It gave them all information including the name and address. They collected Rs. 100 as penalty and asked me to remove the dark tint. The cop told me that, there should be 100% visibility on front and back and 50% visibility on sides. They did not tell that I should not use sunfilm at all. They gave me the challan which read "Alteration of transparency of vehicle glass by sun control flim".

If I am caught again, I may need to pay Rs. 300.
Old 24th May 2012, 21:22   #2036
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please post a link to the product? I searched high and low on ebay.in, but am unable to find any such device for 1-2k
Alright! I said lux meters and here it is ebay.in

Its not a tint meter. So how to use this? Hold it right next to the window, note the lux reading, keep holding it there, roll down the window, note the reading again, do a little math and you should have a reasonably correct number.

Quote:
Here is where that novice resides. And they seem to be manufacturing these meters as well as training law enforcement officers.
Right! I don't know the source and the background of this information, but you can search around and see the VLT of the same glass with different thickness. By your logic, a 5mm glass will have less than half VLT compared to a 2mm glass of the same material but that's not true. The reflective index of the extra 3mm does not reflect and hence more VLT from the remaining 3mm. See one example here. . . Glass Properties, Technical Data for Borosilicate and Silica Quartz

You removed your film, right? once you removed a window, did you try comparing it to the other ones still on? the film would seem to have less VLT than the one that is still bonded to the glass.

I think all here have access to google, and can search as well as you can, if not better! but I don't have the time to go around searching and digging old posts to prove my point.

In case you have trouble understanding any of this please use google again. I don't have time to argue on this anymore.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:54   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramv View Post
Hi Jebs,

How much did it cost to remove the sunfilm at Bosch service center? My friend got it removed at GP road for Rs. 200. They use a paper cutter knife to remove it and then clean the windshield with glass cleaner. Do they do the same procedure at Bosch or is it something more professional?

-r
BOSCH guys did a good job. They charged me Rs.500 for the same. It took nearly 4 hours to complete the job due to rear windshield defogger with full of bubbles.
Old 25th May 2012, 11:23   #2038
Senior - BHPian

Its getting funny interpreting the judgement. We can put a wooden board on the inside and tell the cops, the VLT of the glass is unchanged

I think most people are removing the films because they were not in conformance even before the judgement (myself included on side windows)
Old 25th May 2012, 11:27   #2039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
BOSCH guys did a good job. They charged me Rs.500 for the same. It took nearly 4 hours to complete the job due to rear windshield defogger with full of bubbles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Its getting funny interpreting the judgement. We can put a wooden board on the inside and tell the cops, the VLT of the glass is unchanged

I think most people are removing the films because they were not in conformance even before the judgement (myself included on side windows)
500/200 Rs thats expensive. I removed my Xylo's sunfilm myself in less than 30. All i did was, i pulled out the sunfilm at one edge using a normal shaving blade (Without scratching the glass) and then removed/pulled out the entire sunfilm in one piece slowly.The clened the glass using my armourall glass cleaner and the glass is as shiny as the day i bought the car.

Disclaimer : DIY at own risk. my cars sunfilm came out in one piece so it worked well for me.

Last edited by rocky080 : 25th May 2012 at 11:31.
Old 25th May 2012, 11:33   #2040
Senior - BHPian

I do notice that police in Chennai have been having a sudden checking methodology.

They were checking for tints few days back, then there was no activity. And yesterday again they were checking for tints and stopping cars on the OMR. So even if you dont get caught, I would assume there would conduct some surprise search someday for sure.

BTW, can someone refer me to a good DIY guide for removing the sun-films. I did get one to remove the back glass using news papers. Is that the only one ?
Can someone IM me the link if there is a good link available.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed