Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 18:18   #2131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel

This is almost a permanent place for catching speed and film violators. Saw DTP 9 out of 10 times at the same place.

Last week, they were removing films of a Toyota Prius alongwith other cars.
Where else are they catching film violators?
Old 28th May 2012, 18:58   #2132
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Can you please share where do you get the polish and what is the approximate cost? Thanks for the tip anyways.
I had picked up a 90 ml bottle from Hypercity, for polishing bathroom fittings

Do not remember the price, but am sure it is less expensive than most car cleaning products. Now that I found another use for it, will pickup a bigger bottle next time. Will update the price then.

Here is a pic, as promised. Though this treatment does not make the window completely like a mirror, there is enough reflection to ensure the insides of the car are not in plain sight. This pic was shot at 6 PM. During bright sunlight, the glass is shinier

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-shiny-windows.jpg

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 22:54   #2133
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Lumar has more glue then 3m , there is no issue with quality of Lumar sunfilms . I had ultra performance lumar at sides and when i got it removed , it left lot of glue .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
gave a try removing my punto's 3 month old Llumar sunfilms and ended up leaving the job half finished! Started with the passenger side front window. Film came off easily, but liberal amount of glue was still left over! Tried using colin but found it to be not so easy. Finally left the job half done after it became dark! Will attempt again tomorrow evening.
Seems to be more difficult that I thought!! Probably has to do with the quality of the film used!
Old 28th May 2012, 22:56   #2134
BHPian

Great Idea. I will first try carnauba wax rubbing compound on glass. If it does not work then Silvo it is!

Kerala Police chief had announced on TV that they are not going to chase down sunfilm users. Now, I think he really meant that.
Old 29th May 2012, 08:01   #2135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
End result - Your window glasses have an almost mirror like finish. From 3 feet distance outside the car, all you can see is your own reflection. One has to come less than a feet to the glass to be able to see inside. I did notice far lesser stares when we went out yesterday evening.
3M's RE35 does this by default. Of course, with 35% VLT to boot.

Thanks for the idea!

Quote:
Since there is no film pasted, I am confident I haven't broken the law .
Brilliance!

It'll be tough to explain this to a cop, though. They'll feel the window for film edges first. Then it's time for some knives out. As long as the glass doesn't get scratched you could have a laugh at their expense, I guess.

Quote:
]Not sure how long the gloss will last. Will try and post pictures later.
If it lasts at least a week with the neighbourhood car cleaner's cleaning procedure, it's worth the effort.

Regards,
spadix
Old 29th May 2012, 08:54   #2136
BHPian

In Chennai a colleague was stopped near Spencers Jn and fined for sunfilm over the weekend. Very helpfully there was a guy near the cop offering to just "tear" off the film - without any cleanup of glue etc for Rs 150! Also heard from others that cops are working with such people to make money - the one removing the film gets some amount and the cops get some amount. They are not taking bribes you see !
Old 29th May 2012, 13:54   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I had picked up a 90 ml bottle from Hypercity, for polishing bathroom fittings
Rajan
Boy oh Boy. You are doing wonders.

Was wondering if you applied the polish on the inside or the outside of the glass. Concern in here is if it is on the inside, due to climate controlled conditions, how does it effect in the long term on the health of the passengers inside. If we can apply the same on the outside, it might be just more than worth the price of the smile on the cops faces !

Got the answer after reading your effort. Thanks again

Last edited by lambuhere1 : 29th May 2012 at 14:00. Reason: Found the answer in the explanation provided
Old 29th May 2012, 14:01   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Boy oh Boy. You are doing wonders.

Was wondering if you applied the polish on the inside or the outside of the glass. Concern in here is if it is on the inside, due to climate controlled conditions, how does it effect in the long term on the health of the passengers inside. If we can apply the same on the outside, it might be just more than worth the price of the smile on the cops faces !

Got the answer after reading your effort. Thanks again
Cool. Did not do the inside, as I did not want to be seeing myself in the window

Rajan
Old 29th May 2012, 14:48   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
Cool. Did not do the inside, as I did not want to be seeing myself in the window

Rajan
Great Idea Rajan. I am planning to do rear window as well.. This will teach a proper lesson to high beam wallas.. :-)
Old 29th May 2012, 16:20   #2140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Clean the glass using whatever is your normal method and dry completely
2. Apply Silvo silver polish ( it comes in metal bottles similar to Brasso)
3. Allow to dry completely
4. Polish with soft cloth. The polish becomes a powdery substance and you may have to dust the car again
5. Once the powdery stuff has come off, polish vigourously with another clean dry soft cloth
6. Repeat process if required
I hope this doesn't leave marks on the glass if used repeatedly; you never know if the chemicals in the polish harm the glass in any way.
Old 29th May 2012, 16:55   #2141
BHPian

The container itself says can be used on glass, which is where the idea originated from

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 17:11   #2142
BHPian

Quote:
The container itself says can be used on glass, which is where the idea originated from

Rajan

Thanks Rajan. Looks like this solution already tried by our bhpian. This polish costs Rs.400 on ebay.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1971837
Old 29th May 2012, 19:49   #2143
BHPian

Looks like Bangalore Traffic Police are serious. They have just posted this picture on their FB page here

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-btp.jpg

The comments are a clear indication of the lack of understanding of the SC ruling amongst the average car user. Hope the BTP does something about making them aware, instead of just fining.

Rajan
Old 29th May 2012, 20:31   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like Bangalore Traffic Police are serious. They have just posted this picture on their FB page here

Attachment 933711

The comments are a clear indication of the lack of understanding of the SC ruling amongst the average car user. Hope the BTP does something about making them aware, instead of just fining.

Rajan
Though I was keen on following this thread but stopped reading as most of the comments are not worth the effort. I read this thread only if it is updated with any post of yours. So please clarify that why time and again the BTP is using the term "Black Films" instead of "Sun Films". I might have missed it if explained earlier.
Big Thanks for your efforts and Keep it up!
Old 29th May 2012, 20:52   #2145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Though I was keen on following this thread but stopped reading as most of the comments are not worth the effort. I read this thread only if it is updated with any post of yours. So please clarify that why time and again the BTP is using the term "Black Films" instead of "Sun Films". I might have missed it if explained earlier.
Big Thanks for your efforts and Keep it up!
Hey, come on. There are a lot of others who have contributed very useful info on this thread.

I guess the term "Black Film" is used as it was also used in the SC ruling. The correct term would be Sun Control Film, not even Sun Film.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 29th May 2012 at 21:01.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks