Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 23:07   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
I guess the term "Black Film" is used as it was also used in the SC ruling. The correct term would be Sun Control Film, not even Sun Film.
If I'm not mistaken it wasn't even the SC that used the phrase "black film". It was the petitioner who used it. Even if the SC used it, it may simply have been a reference to text in the PIL rather than as a technical term with an implicit meaning.

I clearly recollect the cop in Gurgaon who caught me also refer to the film on my car as "black film" although it's anything but black in colour.

Guess this 'black film' phrase is going to go down as one of those "in letter and in spirit" things. Once again, unfortunate as far as the mango man is concerned. Misinterpretation or lack of knowledge of law doesn't preclude one from getting caught nor does it let one off the hook once caught.

Regards,
spadix
Old 30th May 2012, 09:11   #2147
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Here's presenting an all natural sun control film courtesy rain and dust gods.

I think someone had mentioned something like this sometime back on this thread.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-20120527_113155.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-20120527_113203.jpg
Old 30th May 2012, 09:52   #2148
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Here's presenting an all natural sun control film courtesy rain and dust gods.

I think someone had mentioned something like this sometime back on this thread.
You can be fined for that too. I think someone had mentioned on this thread about being pulled over and warned for having dirty glass with reduced visiblity. A super clean glass with increased reflectivity would be a better option. I dont think the police can fine you for keeping your car clean and shiny

Rajan
Old 30th May 2012, 10:21   #2149
Senior - BHPian

First (at least known) incident of lack of film aiding the thieves to steal jewelry worth 10 lakh has been reported in Bangalore mirror
Old 30th May 2012, 10:27   #2150
BHPian

Here is the link to this article - Sun-film-removed-and-Rs-10L-jewellery-stolen-from-car
Here is a statement that caught my eye:

Quote:
One of the police officers pursuing the case said: “This is the first instance of a major theft having occurred in a four-wheeler without tinted glass. The thieves must have seen the bag through the transparent glass. Their task would have been difficult had the van been fitted with tinted glass.”
Rajan
Old 30th May 2012, 10:28   #2151

Hi,

For those who are interested, attached is a copy of the SC judgment on the sun control film issue. (I went through the thread, but did not find the entire judgment anywhere, so thought I'd do the honours.. )

[Source: www.keralaw.com]

Cheers,

M_83.
Old 30th May 2012, 10:57   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
You can be fined for that too. I think someone had mentioned on this thread about being pulled over and warned for having dirty glass with reduced visiblity. A super clean glass with increased reflectivity would be a better option. I dont think the police can fine you for keeping your car clean and shiny

Rajan
Ha ha, yes I remember reading about 'getting caught by the cops for dirty windows' as well.

Good idea you have posted in the previous page. Will surely try that out.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:02   #2153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
First (at least known) incident of lack of film aiding the thieves to steal jewelry worth 10 lakh has been reported in Bangalore mirror
I had the same concern when court verdict was announced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
On the contrary, clear glasses will give clear idea of who is inside the car and the stuff they are carrying. Somebody might be going to a wedding with the jewelry, kids might be in the backseat, office goers might be carrying laptops, tablets, which would have been discreet (with sun films) will now be clearly visible. It will help criminals plan better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
A super clean glass with increased reflectivity would be a better option. I dont think the police can fine you for keeping your car clean and shiny

Rajan
Since this method involves modification of glass by applying a chemical and is not done by the manufacturer, this may not comply with CMV Rules. But since police check only for sun-films, this technique will pass.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:34   #2154
Senior - BHPian

I have just been wondering as to why did the SC not impose a restriction on the sun-film manufacturers to only manufacture the legal sun-films. Because of the availability of such illegal sun-films & their access to people, they were being installed & rule or no rule, somebody who has to do something wrong would still do it & give a damn about the law.

Because of one "intellectual" person, all of us people who in fact had gotten the legal sun-films installed are under the scanner & for no fault.

Is anybody aware of the status of the review petition that was filed by Garware?
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 11:41   #2155
BANNED

@blackfire_9; One issue which has been confeswed to by some is that unaware of the windscreen tint, they installed film on top. Thus 70% on a 70% tint led to 49% transmission! I wonder if we have a poll on this what response will we get! There may have to be two parts, one whether I was aware of the transmission of my glass, and then was the combo still legal! It may be educative.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 13:49   #2156
Distinguished - BHPian

Chennai...

We went out by cab yesterday, due not to sunfilm, but to fuel shortage. I noticed several police SUVs with clear glass windscreens. I didn't see any checks or action against sun film.

Our cabbie had removed his sunfilm.
Old 30th May 2012, 13:58   #2157
BHPian

The order has affected all of us in one way or the other but seeing some of the recent posts in the thread, I wonder whether we are moving to irrational territory. I do understand there is inconvenience around Glare/ UV rays etc. but what of these reasons below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Today I had to attend a function and on way back peeping toms were staring at the car an experience I never had when the tints were on I had to keep telling my 6year old son to sit properly and behave as people were staring. Not really sure why people do that.
It is unfortunate if one is subject to hooliganism/ eve-teasing as someone else has also reported. However saying that a car should give you privacy on the road is not reasonable at least in my opinion. A road is a public place which has pedestrians, cyclists, two wheeler riders, autos and what not. Rowdy behaviour can be targetted at them as well. None of them get and expect any sort of 'privacy' on their respective rides - why should car owners be any different? At least we have the privilege of being insulated from dust, noise and heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Seriously, is that carelessness or not? As long as there were dark sunfilms we were leaving behind laptops/mobiles/wallets and nobody knew. How much does it take to change this behaviour pattern, which was never advisable to begin with? Stashing something away in the glovebox or under the seat takes no time. Blaming such losses on absence of sunfilm is no way justifiable - though I'm not too sure how to keep expensive looking car audio from prying eyes.

Well my point is yes there is inconvenience around not having sunfilms in your car, but it is also a matter of getting used to. There are many amongst us who never put any sunfilm at all and were doing just fine. Has this order impacted them in anyway? SC order is a reality and it is quite unlikely that there will be any real change going forward too. We would probably be better off in complying with it and moving on than whining endlessly.
gvivek75 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 14:33   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvivek75 View Post
A road is a public place which has pedestrians, cyclists, two wheeler riders, autos and what not. Rowdy behaviour can be targetted at them as well. None of them get and expect any sort of 'privacy' on their respective rides - why should car owners be any different?
That's like saying why should you have the latest Godrej lock on your door when majority of Indians can afford only a cheap 100Rs lock.

When the Bajaj Sunny was launched, thousands of middle class fathers bought one for their college going daughters, so that they don't have go through the harassment from eve-teasers in crowded buses. As per your theory that's an immoral act. Right? In the past 10 years middle class India has grown, and many young women commute to offices in i10s and Estilos with sunfilm aided privacy. It shields them from our notorious sex-starved road side romeos.
Ask any father who has a daughter who commutes daily in a car all alone, and i bet you'll change your stand.

Last edited by Daewood : 30th May 2012 at 14:35.
Daewood is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 15:04   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Since this method involves modification of glass by applying a chemical and is not done by the manufacturer, this may not comply with CMV Rules. But since police check only for sun-films, this technique will pass.
What modification? It is just a polish which gets washed off easily. It is not like it is a chemical treatment which modifies the molecular composition of glass or something

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvivek75 View Post
It is unfortunate if one is subject to hooliganism/ eve-teasing as someone else has also reported. However saying that a car should give you privacy on the road is not reasonable at least in my opinion. A road is a public place which has pedestrians, cyclists, two wheeler riders, autos and what not. Rowdy behaviour can be targetted at them as well. None of them get and expect any sort of 'privacy' on their respective rides - why should car owners be any different?
SC order is a reality and it is quite unlikely that there will be any real change going forward too. We would probably be better off in complying with it and moving on than whining endlessly.
Looks like you are forgetting something fundamental here.

Quote:
Now that sunfilms are coming off, it is difficult to prevent the heat from getting onto our children sitting in baby seats. At least we have sun visors in front and can keep adjusting the same. But what about children who are bucked up behind and are asleep?

I would probably have to depend more on sun-shades or traditionally used moist towels.
Source

Are you trying to say that we should not have used sun control film to protect our children here, because the road side urchin is exposed to the sun all day long? None of us here are advocating the we should not follow the SC ruling and if you see the other thread on this subject, the poll very clearly indicates that no one here is wanting to disrespect the SC ruling.

The question is, what is the objective of the PIL? Was it well thought of, taking all aspects and affected users into consideration? Do we have an effective enforcement mechanism? Was this really necessary? Did this whole exercise do more harm than help?

I am sure you do not think twice before buying a bottle of water on your road trips. You do not hesitate for a minute and consider that more than 50% of our population do not have access to clean drinking water. Why not? Because it is available and because you can afford it, not to mention also makes you feel safe and comfortable.

The same applies for the car users who were using sun control films. I do not think they are whining.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 30th May 2012 at 15:23. Reason: typo
PatchyBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 16:00   #2160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
I was stopped by Cops today in Kasturba Nagar, Adyar for Tints and then I was waived off. Guess my Garware 50% VLT saved me. The cops are present in many interior roads these days than on the main roads.
Yeah, i think they are targeting vehicles with dark film. They were in action near velachery mahindra showroom and all the vehicles that they stopped, were the ones with dark films.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed