Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 13:17   #2206
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I am not sure about the more recent batch of Altos but the earlier Altos including mine never had any glasses that were anything like 65% or 79% VLT. If there was any titing, it was way above 90% for sure.
I had checked the VLT ratings printed on my friend's 2009 Alto.

Have you checked the rating printed on the glasses of your Alto or just making a guess based on the physical appearance of the glass ?

A glass with 65-70% VLT looks quite transparent. But technically it is not passing all the light.

Rohan
Old 31st May 2012, 13:28   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Another update from Hyderabad - is basically no update. I drove around for an hour in some really busy parts of Secunderabad and the Cantonment area. There is cop presence because of the bandh but no one stopped the Indigo for having window film.

I checked the markings on the glasses for the Indigo. The glass comes from Saint Gobain and VLT information, if any, isn't mentioned explicitly. I guess I will have to decode it using PatchyBoy's instructions from earlier in this thread.

Father-in-law's 2009 i10 (Magna 1.2) has Asahi glass with "75% minimum" and "70% minimum" inscribed very clearly on the front windscreen and side windows respectively. Didn't check the rear windscreen.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 31st May 2012 at 13:31. Reason: Corrected typo
Old 31st May 2012, 13:55   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It had to happen. I'm wondering when we'll see the first vehicle with curtains across the front windscreen!

IIRC, you have 3M CR70 on your car. Have you removed them or still planning to stick to it until told by a cop?. At least in Chennai, the perception among many people is that Cops are targetting only dark films and films with higher VLT may still be fine despite the supreme court order banning all films.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:46   #2209
Senior - BHPian

I had my car with me till about 3 months back but it's now sold. However, only the manufacturer details were imprinted on the glass & no information about the VLT was explicitly mentioned on my car.

Let me also check at a few other Altos in my parking lot today evening & then get back.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I had checked the VLT ratings printed on my friend's 2009 Alto.

Have you checked the rating printed on the glasses of your Alto or just making a guess based on the physical appearance of the glass ?

A glass with 65-70% VLT looks quite transparent. But technically it is not passing all the light.

Rohan
Old 31st May 2012, 15:21   #2210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K

IIRC, you have 3M CR70 on your car. Have you removed them or still planning to stick to it until told by a cop?. At least in Chennai, the perception among many people is that Cops are targetting only dark films and films with higher VLT may still be fine despite the supreme court order banning all films.
Its not perception. I was caught by the cops for usage of dark films. The SI clearly told me that they cannot allow dark tints and it has to be lighter. There should be atleast 50% visibility. Usage of CR70 may not be a problem in Chennai.
Old 31st May 2012, 15:29   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Its not perception. I was caught by the cops for usage of dark films. The SI clearly told me that they cannot allow dark tints and it has to be lighter. There should be atleast 50% visibility. Usage of CR70 may not be a problem in Chennai.
All it will take is one cop looking to make some money and one unlucky day. Since the ruling disallows any kind of film, it is just a matter of time. CR70 is expensive and will surely hurt to take it off, but I think the peace of mind would be worth it.

On a lighter note, after Silvo experiment, I am now seriously considering cling wrap

Rajan
Old 31st May 2012, 15:41   #2212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
Please explain what you mean by tinted glass here. Blue / Gray tint or just the inherent greenish tinge of glass? Also, did the glass have any VLT specification on it?
Now that you mention 3 colors (blue / gray / green), I am a little confused - can checkout this weekend when I am home. But what I meant is, the glass is not clear - it has a slight tint to it which provides a bit of cooling compared to clear-glass. Same with my Baleno, which also has a tint (grayish I would think) - but the glass does not mention any VLT %ages.
Old 31st May 2012, 15:55   #2213
BHPian

I am getting to see new and Innovative ideas now a days. Btw, did any of you notice that the heavily curtained Scorpio is owned by a advocate !
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-image2548443803.jpg  

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-image2151337854.jpg  

Old 31st May 2012, 16:08   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
I am getting to see new and Innovative ideas now a days. Btw, did any of you notice that the heavily curtained Scorpio is owned by a advocate !
Advocate?
I've noticed similar curtains in the official cars of senior police officers here. The Kerala leader of opposition too uses curtains in his Corolla.
Old 31st May 2012, 16:15   #2215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Sorry I did not get your point here. Breaking the law happily and feigning ignorance about the same is not something to be proud off. When there is a law you need to follow it, period.

The SC should have ideally continued with the earlier law and rather tried to put a stop on the sale of any sunfilm beyond the permissible limit.
Completely agree. I am not feigning ignorance. All I am saying is that the law itself is so archaic that the Supreme Court should have taken that into cognizance before interpreting it. We had laws of untouchability, repressing women, caste-based laws etc. Would the Supreme court interpret these in its true letter and spirit? When the Supreme Court has been able to refer at least some of these laws back to the Parliament to either amend or replace these laws, how different is it that this archaic law is accepted as fit for purpose?

When the auto industry has got something more modern that is helpful for each citizen in India who owns a car, its imperative that both the Supreme court and the Parliament re-look at this and amend this. What's next? Banning xenon headlights because some people find it hard to drive onto oncoming vehicles equipped with these?

The PIL asked for 100% VLT. In answer, the Supreme Court should have said "we agree that the current law states this but given the modernization and available products in the market, we request the Parliament to re-look at this law and pass an amendment to the current law with required provisions and appropriate safeguards". I'd have expected our Honorable Judges to at least have that level of intelligence than just providing an interpretation.

Please note: I too am NOT in support of blacked out sun-films. All I'd like is a bit of protection and cooling comfort in this really hot country.

And your last statement is absolutely what is correct.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 16:31   #2216
BHPian

Update from Asahi:

Asahi has communicated that the standard tempered glass (Brand Name - Temperlite-LT) that they provide to most car manufacturers in India is 87% +/- 0.5% VLT (Actual). Therefore it would be safe to assume that any vehicle with Asahi glass without tint / sunfilm is 87%. The explanation given for not printing the actual VLT is -

Since IS 2553 Part 2 specifies that Visual light transmission of safety glass shall be 70 percent Min for windscreen and 50 percent Min for glasses other than windscreen, when tested in accordance with Annex C of IS 2553 (Part I):1990, by printing the ISI logo and the relevant standard, IS 2553 Part 2 in this case, it is understood that the glass complies with the requirement as specified.

Minor variances in the actual VLT is inherent to the glass manufacturing process and it is not feasible to print the actual VLT on the glass. Moreover, it is not mandated by the standards or by the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989.

There is no answer to the amount of UV filtered though.

Rajan

This would mean that application of 70% VLT film, with heat rejection and UV filtering properties on the side windows, will not reduce the VLT low enough to be non-compliant (87 *.7 = 60.9).

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 31st May 2012 at 16:35. Reason: added text
Old 31st May 2012, 17:10   #2217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy

Minor variances in the actual VLT is inherent to the glass manufacturing process and it is not feasible to print the actual VLT on the glass. Moreover, it is not mandated by the standards or by the Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989.
Interesting. But, Asahi has printed the VLT on the glasses used in Fiat Punto and Linea. It is printed as 70%.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:15   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Interesting. But, Asahi has printed the VLT on the glasses used in Fiat Punto and Linea. It is printed as 70%.
That might be as requested by car manufacturer. Also it would read "Minimum". What they are saying is, the do not print the ACTUAL VLT.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 17:18   #2219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
This would mean that application of 70% VLT film, with heat rejection and UV filtering properties on the side windows, will not reduce the VLT low enough to be non-compliant (87 *.7 = 60.9).
So in theory if you were to apply 3M RE70 (70%VLT) sunfilm which is priced reasonable on the side glasses but provides a very decent 34% TSER, the cops should not catch you.

I say theory since now all tints are banned but this RE70 is actually ok for the sides if they decide to amend the ruling to stay within VLT specs.
Old 31st May 2012, 18:50   #2220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So in theory if you were to apply 3M RE70 (70%VLT) sunfilm which is priced reasonable on the side glasses but provides a very decent 34% TSER, the cops should not catch you.

I say theory since now all tints are banned but this RE70 is actually ok for the sides if they decide to amend the ruling to stay within VLT specs.
Correct. In theory yes. But as you have yourself pointed out, going by the SC ruling, no. That would be illegal

Also note, though the product is labelled RE70, the tested VLT is only 66% and not 70%.

I am not too hopeful of any correction in the near future. Afterall, the SC judges cannot come back from vacation and say "We misinterpreted the rule", can they? As far as I can see, the only respite would be if the SC recommends that the parliament must review the CMVR

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 31st May 2012 at 18:53.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed