Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 19:12   #2221
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Also note, though the product is labelled RE70, the tested VLT is only 66% and not 70%.
Are you referring to the same RE70 as this:

3M India: RE Series

It says 70% VLT unless some outside agency has tested it otherwise.
Old 31st May 2012, 19:23   #2222
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Every individual has the right to privacy within his property, be it a house or a car. It doesn't matter where the house or the car is. Even on a public road, you can not just walk up to another person's car and get in. It is his car. His car and everything in it is NOT a 'public space'. So long as the person is not breaking any existing laws in order to protect his privacy, no one can take it away from him.
SedatedDrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 19:27   #2223
BHPian

A grievance from a Bangalorean ----June 4 is coming soon . I do not know what to do till now. Both my cars wear heavy films.
Old 31st May 2012, 19:50   #2224
M.R
BANNED

Judges relatives/friends must be cursing them & requesting them to life the ban, what say ?
Old 31st May 2012, 20:27   #2225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
When the auto industry has got something more modern that is helpful for each citizen in India who owns a car, its imperative that both the Supreme court and the Parliament re-look at this and amend this. What's next? Banning xenon headlights because some people find it hard to drive onto oncoming vehicles equipped with these?
Well to be very honest both me and my dad find ourselves go totally blind whenever an oncoming car is coming with its "Hi tech" Xenons on in there full glory. I dunno how safe it is since you end up blinding the other driver and thereby probably increase the chances of a head on collision or the other person crashing into something else. On an empty road they are good. But on a highway or city roads with oncoming traffic its a nightmare. And I would be really glad if the SC banned it. Sorry for going off-topic.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 20:31   #2226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy

Sorry to burst the bubble. In letter and spirit of the ruling and CMRV, usage of these curtains is already illegal.

Rajan
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Indeed. More illegal than having dark film I would think, going by the reason why the whole sun-film ban came in.
So here is an update: most high end cars come with retractable sun-blinds for rear side windows as well as rear glass, FACTORY INSTALLED. Our Merc has manual sun-blinds for rear side and auto for rear windshield and these are made of dark black perforated material. We checked with local Merc dealer about legality of these sun-blinds and as per dealer, since the sun-blinds are not stuck on glass and are actually an inch or so away from glass on door panel, they are perfectly legal. Moreover, these cars are homologated with these blinds installed, so actually they are CMRV approved. However, I do not know about the curtains installed after market.

Note: None of our car has sun films installed anyway.
Old 31st May 2012, 20:40   #2227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
A grievance from a Bangalorean ----June 4 is coming soon . I do not know what to do till now. Both my cars wear heavy films.
Remove it if you have no alternate mode of transport after June 4th.

If your current film is not to the 70/50 VLT, either way you need to remove them.(assuming they revert to the 70/50 VLT film being legal)

Cheers!
Old 31st May 2012, 20:43   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Are you referring to the same RE70 as this:

3M India: RE Series

It says 70% VLT unless some outside agency has tested it otherwise.
Sorry. My mistake. I was on VPN with Malaysia and the search returned Malaysian Authorized Applicators.

Strangely enough, all Malaysian and SG vendors state RE70 as 66% VLT, but the India website says 70% VLT. Wierd that specs for the same product manufactured by the same vendor are different for different countries.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 31st May 2012 at 21:02.
Old 1st June 2012, 06:55   #2229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
So in theory if you were to apply 3M RE70 (70%VLT) sunfilm which is priced reasonable on the side glasses but provides a very decent 34% TSER, the cops should not catch you.
3M also has CR90 film. They never sold it in India, maybe because it's expensive or because they thought people won't appreciate "clear" film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
Well to be very honest both me and my dad find ourselves go totally blind whenever an oncoming car is coming with its "Hi tech" Xenons on in there full glory.
Do you find this with the best applications/implementations of bi-Xenon (such as on the Beemers) as well? I think blinding due to oncoming Xenon headlamp-fitted cars is due to bad reflector/projector design and not due to the bulb itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power
Moreover, these cars are homologated with these blinds installed, so actually they are CMRV approved. However, I do not know about the curtains installed after market.
This is the key. As long as you can prove (to the cop that catches you) they are factory-fitted, you'll be fine. This won't be a problem though because cops seem not to mind the suction-fitted black wire pads (kind of proves the uselessness of the PIL and the lack of proper understanding of the CMV Rule and SC verdict on the ground).

By the way, there is a certain class of cars that isn't homologated, no? There was a gentleman on this thread reporting his Touareg comes with near 50% VLT rear windscreen, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
Wierd that specs for the same product manufactured by the same vendor are different for different countries.
Glocalization?

Regards,
spadix
Old 1st June 2012, 07:07   #2230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix

Do you find this with the best applications/implementations of bi-Xenon

This is the key. As long as you can prove (to the cop that catches you) they are factory-fitted, you'll be fine. This won't be a problem though because cops seem not to mind the suction-fitted black wire pads (kind of proves the uselessness of the PIL and the lack of proper understanding of the CMV Rule and SC verdict on the ground).

Regards,
spadix
Aftermarket xenon conversions are usually not oncoming traffic friendly. I see lot of people fitting xenons in place of fog lamps and these really irritate.

I was going to the CSK / MI match when I saw a silver ford ikon near cubbon park fitted with curtains - Totally opaque could not click a pic though.
Old 1st June 2012, 08:15   #2231
BHPian

Slightly OT : Is this allowed instead of Sun Films ?
Source : Someone from Facebook.
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-sunfilm.jpg  

eyesice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 08:50   #2232
Senior - BHPian

In chennai the cops are ok with mild tints as long as the interiors are visible. If the films are too dark you are asked to remove the same.

Best time to travel is during peak traffic. With so much construction happening you can actually survive witthout getting caught during peak hours.

The weather has not been friendly either. Blistering hot. I am still on my trustworthy bull. The place where i installed the sun films told me to drive and not remove now. The industry as such provides huge employment oppurtunity and from that angle there could be a minor change allowing sun film with the %visibility parameter redefined.

At the end i will remove after i get caught for i paid high price and want to test my luck.
Old 1st June 2012, 10:06   #2233
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Someone should send this to the CJI and others who are behind this draconian and idiotic piece of legislation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 10:47   #2234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Someone should send this to the CJI and others who are behind this draconian and idiotic piece of legislation!
There are always multiple loopholes for a law in India. So what's the point?
Old 1st June 2012, 11:17   #2235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
now crime can happen in privacy!

i'm guessing the Goenka fella didn't think this one through
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks