Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 02:43   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
It will definitely serve as a deterrent.

As long as my vehicle is in a public place, I have certain responsibilities.

It's very different from other rules which the cops might use to milk the civilians.
I doubt it will act as much of a deterrent.

And secondly who says the cops cannot use this rule to milk civilians. They will start fining people on their own whims if they don't have the correct machinery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan1981 View Post
Thank you so much fast and furious, appreciate the link. Just wanted to check if the professional tint vendors like vkool etc also do this or is that not recommended?
Yes vkool does remove film. But don't worry, yours should be in permissible limits. Also I think they will penalize only cars with very dark tints. Even 35% tints might be fine for now.

Quote:
T By the way, for cars with rear defogger tinting is sometimes done from the outside.
Really? Where have you seen this? No tinting happens outside
Old 30th April 2012, 04:01   #212
BHPian

Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

I'm sure this is now beyond the 'discussion' level. It's kinda like a debate now. Your last post itself indicates that.
This is your reply to me:
Quote:
And secondly who says the cops cannot use this rule to milk civilians. They will start fining people on their own whims if they don't have the correct machinery.
And this is your reply to Karan1981
Quote:
But don't worry, yours should be in permissible limits. Also I think they will penalize only cars with very dark tints. Even 35% tints might be fine for now.
Now what's that buddy!
I know that this law is somewhat an issue for many of us in a way that can't be expressed in words. But I can see the good side of it while some others can't. That's it.

And this is my last post on this particular topic.

And about the outside tinting. Read this thread some time ago.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1331262
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1331300

It's not a common practice, I know. But I've heard about tinting outside too. And I know about exterior window films(used for buildings) that are scratch resistant, heat resistant etc.
Exterior Window Film | Tint Industry
So I thought the Audi guys might have used something like that (made for vehicles) on his car since they are unlikely to do/recommend something that is likely to cause damage to the car in the future.

Last edited by fast&furious : 30th April 2012 at 04:13.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:26   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm sure this is now beyond the 'discussion' level. It's kinda like a debate now. Your last post itself indicates that.
This is your reply to me:
And this is your reply to Karan1981
Now what's that buddy!

I know that this law is somewhat an issue for many of us in a way that can't be expressed in words. But I can see the good side of it while some others can't. That's it.

And this is my last post on this particular topic.

And about the outside tinting. Read this thread some time ago.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1331262
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1331300
I was telling Karan about what the Mumbai scenario has been till now, and hopefully will continue to be like that. I'm sure he would have got 50% tints anyway since they are from the dealer.

But if you think cops cannot misuse it then you are highly mistaken. What about the cops just pulling off tints in Delhi? Isn't it written somewhere the person is supposed to be given a few days after which there should be an inspection by a transport officer?

The law is fine, I've always said that. But the reason given for it saying many crimes happen in cars with dark tints is nothing but idiotic.

As for the outside film, I'm yet to see a car which has it. The thread you pointed me to has people talking about it, but no one has actually done it.

And I thought we were talking about car tinting, and not buildings.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:34   #214
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
But the reason given for it saying many crimes happen in cars with dark tints is nothing but idiotic.
+1 to that Akshay. Do the cops actually have statistics to prove that cars with tinted glasses are responsible for crime?

Bangalore has low crime rates compared to Gurgaon for example and yet Bangalore's cars are the most heavily tinted.

Crime thrives due to the nexus between the criminal, the cop and the politician. Period.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 13:09   #215
Team-BHP Support

re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

The Bangalore police have Lux meters, they once held a camp to measure cars but then the rule was rescinded.

Tints banned - what next- folks will simply put curtains all around and permainently fix them!
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:17   #216
BHPian

Re: Sun Film

Well here is how a bad situation becomes atrocious From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal - The Times of India

Now there is a good chance that since this is TOI there could be still some hope but then banning all tints on cars irrespective of the CMVR guidelines? Isn't that stretching quite far? It is now penalizing folks who abide by the law of the land to prosecute those who don't abide by it. Hope somebody files a review petition in the SC to a larger bench and gets clarity.
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:15   #217
Senior - BHPian

re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Today's news in Times of India says the Supreme Court has banned tinted film of any kind (even if it is within the 70% & 50% permissible limits)! Posting a link -
From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal - The Times of India
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:45   #218
Senior - BHPian

This mornings news, starting this Friday all kind of films need to be removed whatever be the percentage. Sounds odd to me, has anyone been caught by the cops and explained. Are we on a run to remove all kids of films?

The news report says its applicable across the country.

Here is the news : From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal - The Times of India
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:39   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Well here is how a bad situation becomes atrocious From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal - The Times of India

Now there is a good chance that since this is TOI there could be still some hope but then banning all tints on cars irrespective of the CMVR guidelines? Isn't that stretching quite far? It is now penalizing folks who abide by the law of the land to prosecute those who don't abide by it. Hope somebody files a review petition in the SC to a larger bench and gets clarity.
Reading this news in TOI in the morning is definitely not a good start to the day!
I had got Vkool installed last month and I am already staring at 16.5K going down the drain

For now I will be avoiding taking out the car with tints.
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:14   #220
Senior - BHPian

Posted earlier on this thread, which specifically talks about this situation, but saw the discussion happening here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ble-limit.html

The timelines mentioned in the article are too tight (Friday is just 2 days away), its does not sound right (But maybe true). I would rather wait till Friday to see how the news is received and if there is any relief granted to remove tints.

Usually when such drastic changes are implemented the owners are given a few weeks time to willingly comply, until its enforced.
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:32   #221
BANNED

I have a feeling that some of us have brought it on, like the HSRP stuff. We will always try and work beyond the law. How many of us have seen illegal number plates, incl. UP Govt ones in Devanagri using Uttar Pradesh for UP amongst other things.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:02   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The news report says its applicable across the country.

Here is the news : From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal - The Times of India
Man, the cops will be so happy to see this.

I don't have sun film in my car. But it is so difficult to drive on our highways in the hot sun without sun film.

I hope the court allows 70% transparency films at least. I feel its a very valid need in our country.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:04   #223
BHPian

So I thought I was clear on the ruling, but reading the ToI articles and a few of the posts here, I'm a bit confused.

Tints are allowed, with 50% visibility on the windows and 70% on the windscreens, but only if theyre from the manufacturer? DTP on FB seems to be harping the same thing as well.

So essentially any tints that we may have, V-Kool, Lumar or otherwise; are not allowed? Or they are allowed, just as long as theyre under the limits?

Thanks for the clarification.

* Also, recently a friend of mine was stopped by the cops for his tints but when he showed them the certificate from Lumar/V-Kool, whichever one it was, stating the VLT; he was let go. So would it help if we had the same? Or this is just a blanket ban on tints whatsoever?

Last edited by anantnehru : 2nd May 2012 at 10:07.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:38   #224
BHPian

So, does this mean that we all have to start removing the tints from our existing cars?

The article clearly mentions, and I quote, "...The apex court's judgment said, "We prohibit the use of black films of any visual light transmission (VLT) percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country...".

So that means that not only in Delhi, but people all over India need to remove the tints ASAP, right? And the impounding rule? Is that valid all over India as well? This is going to be a massive inconvenience for a lot of people. Just because New Delhi has a very high crime rate, does not mean that people all over the country should be penalized for putting up tints on their cars.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:41   #225
Senior - BHPian

The article talks about Banning Tinted glasses in Delhi !! where does it talk about ban across the country ?

Here in bangalore, there has been no communication about this so far. how can they suddenly stop you one day and ask for fine ?

It takes time for someone to visit the qualified person to get the tinted glasses checked/removed etc.

When they started the drive for seat belts, alot of information was provided in advance so that people took it seriously.

I dont see any such communication happening about tinted glasses atleast in Bangalore
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks