Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 13:30   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
This company already has automotive application ready..is this acceptable alternate??
AGP Glass :: Products
Product looks good, they have an office in India which area not sure. BUt i guess that switching on/off would be cumbersome. Another alternative to maintain visibility with heat rejection is Windshield Experts Coolglas

WE CoolGlas
Old 6th June 2012, 13:37   #2387
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I drove from Sarjapur road to Whitefield sticking to non main roads as much as possible, and didnt see police action anywhere against sunfilms. Looks like the its the lull before the storm.
Old 6th June 2012, 13:48   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
This company already has automotive application ready..is this acceptable alternate??
AGP Glass :: Products
I guess the cost of putting this up in our regular cars (read <10lakhs) would amount to shelling out the ex-showrrom price of the vehicle itself

But seriously this is a very good technology and probably if mass produced would become affordable to some extent.
Old 6th June 2012, 13:48   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The stranage thing I noticed was that density of cops was much less today when compared to other days )
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
In fact, as someone already mentioned, the number of traffic cops was lesser and traffic was lighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Fewer than usual cops today on my normal route to work i.e.
:
Found the probable reason why many of us have noted a reduction in number of traffic cops in most roads of Bangalore today..
Bangalore mirror reports: To ensure the city’s infamous traffic chaos does not become a talking point among international guests during GIM II, the traffic police are pulling out all stops — literally — to ensure smooth flow of traffic. A contingent of 450 traffic policemen will be taken off routine duty and deployed in and around the Bangalore International Exhibition Centre on Tumkur Road, the venue of GIM II, on both days of the meet.
Here is the link:
Article Window

Although the GIM starts only tomorrow, there might be some dress rehearsal or some trials on traffic management being done today on Tumkur road and large number of the cops are posted there today!
So expect serious action against sun films only from Saturday..

Last edited by sandsun7 : 6th June 2012 at 13:50.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 14:05   #2390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Product looks good...
With the market for sun-control films literally crashing given this verdict, there is a huge business opportunity for such ventures. I am sure many of us will replace our existing glasses with ones that have a "legal" degree of tint and keep the car cool at the same time. I, for one, am considering doing so for both my cars in the near future.

Last edited by cool_dube : 6th June 2012 at 14:06.
Old 6th June 2012, 14:22   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
With the market for sun-control films literally crashing given this verdict, there is a huge business opportunity for such ventures. I am sure many of us will replace our existing glasses with ones that have a "legal" degree of tint and keep the car cool at the same time. I, for one, am considering doing so for both my cars in the near future.
Any idea how much would it cost to replace our existing glasses with tinted ones? Even a ballpark would do.
Old 6th June 2012, 14:25   #2392
BHPian

Any idea of what is the situation in Kerala ?

With regards to Chennai, I hope they are lenient, the rain gods have not visited us during this summer, and the heat is yet to be reduced. Most of the roads leading to the IT corridor is being targeted at various times. My friend got caught last week on ecr.
Old 6th June 2012, 14:27   #2393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Situation is getting bad in Chennai. I was already fined for Rs.100. This happened at the turning opposite Adyar Cancer Institute. The Road that comes from Kotturpuram bridge to cancer Institute. I was taking a left to go to my office in OMR and cops caught me in that narrow turning.
Today again cops tried to catch me near Medavakkam Toll plaza ( The one in front of Wipro CDC-5 ). I had a narrow escape.
Is this during the peak hours? do you have dark sunfilm? I came around the same time but from OMR to Adyar but i didnt find any cops. Btw, i stopped using the bypass all together. it seems to be the perfect place for cops.
Old 6th June 2012, 14:31   #2394
BHPian

For all those wanting to know why no one is being pulled up for not removing tints in Bangalore:

I read in the Deccan Chronicle this morning (Page 5) that Bangalore cops will be giving another week to vehicle owners to remove the tints. The article stated that the cops will stop and warn drivers this week post which they will start enforcing my slapping fines and booking charges. Did not see this article in any other paper though

However, the same article carried a statement by the RTO spokesperson that they have appointed 10 squads to check vehicles in Blr and they will be imposing fines as the grace period of 1 month has elapsed.

Also, the same article stated that BMTC Volvos have been exempted from removal of films for another 3 months due to the "contractual obligations" with the cos whose ads they sport as well as the fact that removal will cause drop in revenues of ~5-6crores monthly. BMTC has also stated that as DTC is exempt from removal in Delhi, they are expecting more clarity on applicability of the rules in Blr !

Am in Chennai today and did not see any action = over 80% of cars still sport tints !!!

Attaching the link for the online version of the paper which carries this item under the "Other Stories" heading

http://dc-epaper.com/Publications/DC...06/INDEX.SHTML

Last edited by aroonanand : 6th June 2012 at 14:43. Reason: Added link for the article referred to in the post
Old 6th June 2012, 14:50   #2395
BANNED

Quote:

Its not the end of the world for these companies. There is still architectural glass film sold in huge quantities..

--R
Old 6th June 2012, 15:25   #2396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Ironically, the VLT % was determined after extensive research and experiments to ensure that the driver of the vehicle has sufficient visiblity of the surroundings - not for visibilty into the vehicle. .....Come to think of it, how can fully loaded trucks use an inside mirror? They will have to rely only on the ORVMs, right?
+1
Lot of people think that the law is there, so that the cops or public can peep into the car and get a clear view. If so the Cargo OMNI would have never made it past the RTO, as it has no rear windows at all.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 16:08   #2397
Distinguished - BHPian

JP Nagar/Bannerghatta Road - JC Road - Basaveshwara Circle - Sankey Rd - Mekhri Circle - Hebbal flyover - Manyata Tech Park.

Morning 10 am &
Afternoon 2.30 pm

No action seen. Cars with all hues of tints going around.
Old 6th June 2012, 16:32   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
+1
If so the Cargo OMNI would have never made it past the RTO, as it has no rear windows at all.
That's a great point to ponder. I like it !! Would you ever dare to make this point if you are pulled over by a cop ? I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
JP Nagar/Bannerghatta Road - JC Road - Basaveshwara Circle - Sankey Rd - Mekhri Circle - Hebbal flyover - Manyata Tech Park.

Morning 10 am &
Afternoon 2.30 pm

No action seen. Cars with all hues of tints going around.
Kengeri satellite town> uttarahalli main road>j.p.nagar 24th main> jayanagar>basavanagudi>magadi road>rajajinagar>peenya>nagarbhavi>kengeri satellite town.

This is the route i did today with my car with tints. No one stopped me. i was in the traffic signals with cops around. Nobody seems to be interested. All types of car with tint of all kinds could be seen. Should get my tints removed as soon as possible anyway.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 6th June 2012 at 16:34.
Old 6th June 2012, 16:36   #2399

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

In Bangalore, our Volvo buses are totally covered with advertising material preventing anone from outside, looking in. At the risk of being cynical, does this mean we can legally carry a bus lod of terrorists ?
Jokes aside, I do hope the Judiciary stays out of such hasty decisions and allow the administration to implement laws which already exist.
Old 6th June 2012, 16:37   #2400
BHPian

Got my sunfilm removed today during my car servicing. Now I'm afraid to keep my mobile in the car even when I'm driving. Seems like an open invitation for the muggers .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks