Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 16:54   #2401
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Now I'm afraid to keep my mobile in the car even when I'm driving.
Why? dont you lock the doors while you start to drive? and yes, a car with naked glass is too much temptation to anti social elements. Even with the dark tints, stuff inside the car were always at risk. Now, it is all the more dangerous. I am sure , many thefts would be reported and then the tints may come back
Old 6th June 2012, 16:56   #2402
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamwestwind View Post
In Bangalore, our Volvo buses are totally covered with advertising material preventing anone from outside, looking in.
Read in newspaper that BMTC is given 3 months grace period to remove all the tints and advertising. The 3 month grace period is for the advertising contract to get over.
Old 6th June 2012, 17:02   #2403
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Looks like RTO has started penalizing from yesterday evening in Bangalore. Read the below for details!

Tinted glass: Over 200 booked
Selective is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 17:09   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
Any idea how much would it cost to replace our existing glasses with tinted ones? Even a ballpark would do.
I wish I knew I will be removing my tints this weekend (or before that, if I get fined) and once done, the hunt for good glasses shall begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Its not the end of the world for these companies. There is still architectural glass film sold in huge quantities
Agreed - but this will hit their topline in a big way for sure.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 17:11   #2405
BHPian

Slightly OT,

Had a '6month before christmas miracle'. My avg. 45-65min journey home took only 30-35 mins today. Definitely lesser number of cars on the road, maybe owing to the ban.

Very few cops around, probably due to the reasons pointed out some posts back. Didn't see anyone with sunfilms getting stopped.

Last edited by superutp : 6th June 2012 at 17:14.
Old 6th June 2012, 17:36   #2406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
For all those wanting to know why no one is being pulled up for not removing tints in Bangalore:

Also, the same article stated that BMTC Volvos have been exempted from removal of films for another 3 months due to the "contractual obligations" with the cos whose ads they sport as well as the fact that removal will cause drop in revenues of ~5-6crores monthly. BMTC has also stated that as DTC is exempt from removal in Delhi, they are expecting more clarity on applicability of the rules in Blr !
BMTC will get exemption because the person in charge of enforcement and exemption of the rule in Karnataka is same. Supreme court has also made speed governors mandatory for all commercial vehicles and public transport vehicles with effective from November 2, 2011, but why it has not been enforced strictly and why a special extension has been given to trucks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th June 2012 at 23:03. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 6th June 2012, 18:26   #2407

Going through the last few pages, it is interesting to see how exercised we BHPians are (as we ought to be!) about the law (and incumbent penalty fine) at Bangalore and Chennai. Just wanted to share the view up here in 'Millenium City' Gurgaon - it is somewhat different - some would say typically so!

Firstly, the fine is not INR 100 as it seems to be down south - or even in Delhi - but a whopping INR 1000 (yes, all of 10x). I am not sure whether we need extra incentive to turn law abiding citizens; or that the average car-owner on the streets of Gurgaon is amenable to instant change-of-heart (recall how a toll-booth operator was shot dead for asking for ~INR 20 on NCR's pride, the Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway). However the one thing the higher amount certainly creates is additional 'margin' for on-the-spot bargaining by the local traffic cop. It is an easy guess as to which way this one blows.

And yes, if you do want to take the route of explaining how your tints are <20% and well within legal limits, you are told that you need to peel off a portion, take a picture and then argue it out in court, until which time you need to deposit car papers with the said cop. It takes special courage to continue when communicated such terms in chaste Haryanvi. So pay.

Heads I lose, tails you win :-/
ElDekko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 19:09   #2408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
.. BMTC Volvos have been exempted from removal of films for another 3 months due to the "contractual obligations"
Neither BMTC nor the contract is not above the Supreme Court. Hence, the ad's must go.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 19:22   #2409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Neither BMTC nor the contract is not above the Supreme Court. Hence, the ad's must go.
And the pigs will fly.

I am amazed at the confidence people have in the competence of our bureaucrats.

I am meanwhile staying put. Not taking them off till they force me to peel it off.
Old 6th June 2012, 19:52   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1

As per article in today's Deccan Chronicle, Page 5 -
"“BMTC buses that sport ads on windows have been given three months to take them off as they are in contract with advertisers,” said Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic) M.A. Saleem. In the state where the home minister also holds the transport portfolio, the breather seems like an easy way out to avoid a standoff between the two departments. The BMTC, however, does not seem content with a three month breather.

The Supreme Court has apparently exempted the Delhi Transport Corporation from the rule. “As of now, we’re not too sure what exactly the ruling is, and whether public transport buses can be allowed to have ads. This is why we have requested time from the traffic police. I'm waiting for the judgment copy from the apex court to make further decisions on the issue,“ said BMTC MD K.R. Srinivasa. “Removing ads from buses will definitely cause a huge loss to BMTC. By a conservative estimate, we will lose Rs 56 crores per month.“
The Supreme Court order, which led to the Bengaluru City Traffic police imposing a deadline to remove tints from vehicles, is about visibility of interiors of vehicles to ensure security. Ads on buses do hamper the visibility and therefore is in violation of the law. "

My question:
The advertisements are so dark, that it is impossible to see inside the bus, even in broad daylight. If the law abiding tax paying common man can be suspected to be a criminal and be made to remove sun control film to enable visibilty inside the vehicle, then what exactly prevents BMTC bus drivers and conductors from commiting crimes? The explanation that there will be revenue loss is invalid. Did anyone think how much the common man has paid as tax to the government when installing the so called "RTO approved" films, leave alone the cost of the film itself? I for example paid 18,500 for the films in my car - the so called "RTO approved" variety and was forced to remove it to be on the right side of the law. There is a reason why Lady Justice is blindfolded.

And please Mr. K.R. Srinivasa. Don't tell me you do not know that all SC judgements are available on their website

Rajan
Old 6th June 2012, 19:58   #2411
Senior - BHPian

I was not aware that the ruling covered buses also - thought it applied to only cars. And if we go by the logic behind the ruling, do the buses really need to comply, given that they are public transportation which means most of the time there would be many people present inside reducing possibility of crime and the fact that the vehicle's bulk does not really help it being used for the crimes - you know, they can't just drive the Volvo and park it in a secluded street to use in crimes, like some criminal could use a car.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 6th June 2012 at 19:59.
Old 6th June 2012, 20:00   #2412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Why? dont you lock the doors while you start to drive? and yes, a car with naked glass is too much temptation to anti social elements. Even with the dark tints, stuff inside the car were always at risk. Now, it is all the more dangerous. I am sure , many thefts would be reported and then the tints may come back
I do lock my windows and doors when I'm driving but the issue is that the anti social elements can now see my costly mobiles/ laptops clearly. The muggers who were looking for singly occupied cars to target, will be cheering this verdict as this makes their job much easier.
Old 6th June 2012, 20:04   #2413
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

The chaps at 3M HSR did the job on my car and my dad's car. Good guys. Very helpful and very diligent.

I wonder if putting a completely transparent anti UV film is an option at all in this new scenario. Simply in order to avoid rashes and UV radiation related hassles as well as attempt to preserve the vehicle's interiors to an extent.

Removing the llumar film was a real ordeal because the gum was horribly sticky. Glad I didnt attempt a DIY and preferred to go to the professionals for this. No damage to the defogger etc because of the diligent work by Sidhu and his team. Thanks guys!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th June 2012 at 20:07.
Old 6th June 2012, 20:23   #2414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
download2live : And the pigs will fly.

Quote:
download2live : I am amazed at the confidence people have in the competence of our bureaucrats.
Or the confidence the bureaucrats have that they will get thru even a SC judgement !
Old 6th June 2012, 20:23   #2415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I was not aware that the ruling covered buses also - thought it applied to only cars. And if we go by the logic behind the ruling, do the buses really need to comply, given that they are public transportation which means most of the time there would be many people present inside reducing possibility of crime and the fact that the vehicle's bulk does not really help it being used for the crimes - you know, they can't just drive the Volvo and park it in a secluded street to use in crimes, like some criminal could use a car.
Quote:
27. For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country.
Thus ruled the Hon'ble Apex Court.

So tell me something, what prevents a crime happening in a running bus? Highly improbable, right? Check this out.

Anything is possible Sir.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 6th June 2012 at 20:29.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed