Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2012, 21:41   #2416
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
... If you meant those with deficiencies, then I'm with you. Although, the rest; those with "well made skin", can get by if they stuck to the right diet. I spend a good amount of time on the road, that can include driving and/or riding and walking in the sun for most of the day. Most of them, try to do the impossible, that is shy away from direct sunlight. Considering that we are required to soak in a bit of sunlight, its ok if you ask me.
I meant deficient [skin] by genetic specification --- as a pale-skinned Brit. The stupid thing is that nature might not have needed to proof us against tropical sunshine, but it didn't even proof us against our own sickly version.

As to the security aspects: sadly, I can only say, "welcome to the world." Ever had your glass shattered because you left an empty bag, or a coat with nothing in the pockets on the back seat? Plenty of Londoners have. We quickly learnt not to do it. As quickly as we learnt to have head units with removable fronts and to always take them out of the car. You just leave your car visibly empty, as a discipline.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 21:54   #2417
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The stupid thing is that nature might not have needed to proof us against tropical sunshine, but it didn't even proof us against our own sickly version.
Oh no. I guess nature did not take global warming into consideration . At the pace we are going, everyone in the world, including Alaskans will evolve to have dark skins in about another million years or so, if we are around till then, that is.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 6th June 2012 at 22:01.
Old 6th June 2012, 22:10   #2418
BHPian

The supreme court judgement clearly states its for 'ALL' vehicles. And BMTC buses are vehicles and they need to remove the ads/films. Period. While the rationale behind the judgement is another story, I don't understand what is not clear with the judgement.

There was an article on TOI sometime ago that any advertisement on any moving vehicle is illegal and that BMTC is already on the wrong side of the law.
Old 6th June 2012, 22:39   #2419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
The supreme court judgement clearly states its for 'ALL' vehicles. And BMTC buses are vehicles and they need to remove the ads/films. Period. While the rationale behind the judgement is another story, I don't understand what is not clear with the judgement.

There was an article on TOI sometime ago that any advertisement on any moving vehicle is illegal and that BMTC is already on the wrong side of the law.
Sadly, thanks to the media for the way they sensationalize everything, there is a real and more important rationale which is not discussed anywhere - accidents due to poor visibilty. As a matter of fact, that is discussed in length in the judgement too.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 6th June 2012 at 22:40.
Old 6th June 2012, 22:53   #2420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Sadly, thanks to the media for the way they sensationalize everything, there is a real and more important rationale which is not discussed anywhere - accidents due to poor visibilty. As a matter of fact, that is discussed in length in the judgement too.

Rajan
Now that will open the Pandora's box - They dont even look at the ORVMs in the first place. They make their own way on the road (especially those Red volvos) swerve the bus abruptly, jump signals as if Red is Green.
Old 6th June 2012, 23:02   #2421
BHPian

^^ I have to agree with that one. You can only preach and facilitate safety. Practicing the same is ones own prerogative. A BTP FB post claims that thousands of BMTC and Cab drivers have been trained in lane discipline. The learning is not all that obvious, don't you think?

Rajan
Old 6th June 2012, 23:40   #2422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Any idea of what is the situation in Kerala ?

With regards to Chennai, I hope they are lenient, the rain gods have not visited us during this summer, and the heat is yet to be reduced. Most of the roads leading to the IT corridor is being targeted at various times. My friend got caught last week on ecr.
The situation is very smooth in Kerala. I haven't removed tints from my car and I drive everyday through the main roads of the capital city. I was never stopped by cops, regarding this sun film issue. I've some friends who got full black sunfilms on their cars and they also dont have any plan to remove those. I think the cops haven't taken this seriously. Yesterday I saw a Fiesta which is used by a superior police person with full black tints!
Anand123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 00:31   #2423
BHPian

The petitioner has blamed safety of women, criminal activities and blabla for an apt reason to remove sunfilm. What amaze me why in the USofA they have not made sun films illegal in spite of all the terror attacks and car bombs and what not. The rear windows and windshield are allowed to be dark in most states. Why not in India? If you are a common man in this country then you are a criminal. And people who are expecting bmtc to remove all ads haha its never gonna happen even if we cry ourselves hoarse about it.
Rajan sir your quoting of that incident makes it all the more important for private buses to remove tints.
Old 7th June 2012, 08:30   #2424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post

I think BMTC has agreed to remove the advertisements from the volvo buses but they have requested for 3 months time for the same.
Old 7th June 2012, 08:41   #2425
Senior - BHPian

In Chennai, the cops are not troubling all the cars with sunfilms but with the darker ones. I am still driving around through the city around peak traffic hours in the morning crossing many points where the cops were stopping cars.

My Figo, used by my wife was caught twice as the black interiors of the Figo with the contrasting white colour made the sunfilms look darker than normal. So I had to remove the sunfilms from the rear windows alone and now the tints look much better and lighter. I am planning to put 70% VLT films on all glasses and I am sure there wont be much trouble (atleast in Chennai)!

Last edited by anachronix : 7th June 2012 at 08:42.
Old 7th June 2012, 08:42   #2426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A BTP FB post claims that thousands of BMTC and Cab drivers have been trained in lane discipline. The learning is not all that obvious, don't you think?
OT, but Rajan, I would like to hear you say the same AFTER you do for a week what they do every day. I would like to see your reaction/ response to driving a bus in Bangalore city traffic, during peak hours, catering to the passengers, maneuvering through the dynamic maze created by two wheelers and auto's ..

You have given us a lot of information in this thread on the topic of the Sun-film ban .. Shall we stick to the topic of this thread, please ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 10:10   #2427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
OT, but Rajan, I would like to hear you say the same AFTER you do for a week what they do every day. I would like to see your reaction/ response to driving a bus in Bangalore city traffic, during peak hours, catering to the passengers, maneuvering through the dynamic maze created by two wheelers and auto's ..

You have given us a lot of information in this thread on the topic of the Sun-film ban .. Shall we stick to the topic of this thread, please ?
Sorry Parwath. The fact that there are frustrations in my chosen profession does not automatically entitle me to drive irresponsibly.

Back to topic now: My regular commute - OMR>Kadugodi>Whitefiled>ITPL>EPIP Zone

Traffic police present in 2 places, but did not seem to be stopping cars for dark films. Just the regular policing.

Rajan
Old 7th June 2012, 10:18   #2428
Team-BHP Support

On my office commute via Jayanagar -> Domlur IRR -> Marathahalli -> ITPL, I saw a cop near Brand factory on old airport road, taking pictures of some car with a digital camera in hand. I'm not sure what it was for, could be number plate violation also because that car which got photographed had a kannada registration plate as well as black tints.

Either way, I think the first violations which they might bill on offenders might be through this digital camera picture system itself. Easier for them to capture photos and send the challans home now, the subsequent offenses might result in stopping of the vehicle and all the arguing scenes.

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th June 2012 at 10:19.
Old 7th June 2012, 10:26   #2429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Either way, I think the first violations which they might bill on offenders might be through this digital camera picture system itself.
I don't think this will be such a good idea. A lot of times, due to reflection or just the angle of vision, it might appear that the glasses have tints.

It would be very difficult to prove otherwise in case the challan is sent home.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 10:29   #2430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My regular commute - OMR>Kadugodi>Whitefiled>ITPL>EPIP Zone

Traffic police present in 2 places, but did not seem to be stopping cars for dark films. Just the regular policing.

Rajan
Deadline extended due to Global Investors Meet 2012 - B'lore: June 9 New Deadline To Remove Sun Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
What amaze me why in the USofA they have not made sun films illegal in spite of all the terror attacks and car bombs and what not. The rear windows and windshield are allowed to be dark in most states.
Almost all states in US have a law against tinted glass. Most of them ban any tint on windshield and allow only certain percentage on sides.
Glass/Window Tinting | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

Since its different states have different laws, most rent cars don't have any sun film at all.

Last edited by msdivy : 7th June 2012 at 10:38.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed