Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 11:26   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
One more problem for traffic police. The movie stars have removed sun-films in their cars. Guess what? They are being mobbed by people at traffic junctions, to have a glimpse, get autograph, get photo etc. The traffic was held up for half an hour at one such instance.

Black film tinted glass banned supreme court order - Oneindia Kannada
Good to see them follow the order and law. They could have easily constructed a story or would not have been bothered by the Police in the first place.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:31   #2612
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I was thinking of starting a new thread, but adding here.

Since we all are talking about possible effects of removing sunfilms, I believe someone would have already thought about it [hence did not think of creating new thread].

I just wanted to highlight on how the sunfilms are dumped on the streets.

Whom to blame?
1. Govt. who banned it without any fore-thought.
2. End user who has to follow some crazy ban.
3. The person who is removing [can be end user, in case of DIY].

Sunfilms are not biodegradable and can cause more environmental hazards. Remember reading article in Bangalore Mirror on this, but unable to find it.

Off late, I have been seeing similar scene on streets a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-sunfilm.jpg  

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 12th June 2012 at 11:36. Reason: Adding some more content
500ContyCruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 11:34   #2613
BHPian

Traveled through IRR today morning but did not see any BTP stopping any vehicles for sunflims. I even saw a cop standing in front of Taco Bell in Sony World signal to catch signal jumpers even he was not bothered about sunflims.
On the other note number of vehicles with sunflims has reduced by huge number in Bangalore, I am still holding to my 50% VLT 3Ms till I get finned.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:43   #2614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes I agree. If visibility is required into the vehicle from outside at all times then the law needs to be amended and manufacturers need to design all cars in India with glass doors along with windows. This way 100% visibility is assured.
I had proposed the use of convertibles with the top open. That's visibility guaranteed for sure.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 11:44   #2615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
I am still holding to my 50% VLT 3Ms till I get finned.
This is a good strategy to hold on to. There are instances here cops checking with the Lux meters to the CMV rule!

Cheers!
Old 12th June 2012, 11:49   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
How badly I wish I was a car accessory shop owner now

I could have made money charging 500 Rs. per car for removal all these days, and the next few months I will make 5000 Rs. per car for re-applying sunfilms. Wow!
Well, I posted in mid May on the Facebook page of Chennai Traffic Police on the legality of the portion of the Supreme Court's verdict that bans the use of "any material". I am of the view that our Hon' Judiciary should not delve into legislation, the domain of the Executive.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:58   #2617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This is a good strategy to hold on to. There are instances here cops checking with the Lux meters to the CMV rule!

Cheers!
I initially thought of getting rid of it but then I realized that public safety authorities can easily check what is inside if they want. Bangalore is still OK to travel without sunflims I can only imagine how the Delhi and Chennai people are suffering.
Crimes will continue to happen even if sunflim is banned, thugs will move on and get curtains for their cars (which according to SC verdict is not illegal).
Old 12th June 2012, 13:25   #2618
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It looks like someone has lifted the curtains of the show inside all cars. You never see all this when they had sunfilm.
This is what courts wanted i guess, to kill all "show/activities" inside the cars but since generation Y and Z are on the seat you will soon see more shows soon enough!

After 1 week of no sun control (had very light ones earlier) my thoughts:
  1. Hot as hell. 3 Km drive to office at 9 am requires AC, sometimes at blower position 2. I could manage without AC and sometime with just few min running towards the end.
  2. Absolutely no privacy, jokers on road are always peeping insde. Since i travel alone not in pain, but women folks would have issues.
  3. Have to remove the faceplate and sun glass and store it, maybe a mental block, but my car was broken into and cant take chances.
  4. Visibility hasnt improved! since i started wearing shades all through out the day lol. Night the blidning lights from ORVM irritates and distracts more. Maybe put some sun film on them i guess. Only reversing at night feels better.
  5. Miss seeing few signals coz the sun blinds are down! Without the earlier front patti i had to keep it since the sun fries the hands at noon. But this is my issue.
  6. FE i haven't checked but till rains start, am sure its gonna drop by a km atleast.
  7. Aeshetic wise, i hate the looks on my white car! I had light greenish brown film earlier.

Will it bring down crime rate? Don't think so, unless we have a better policing systems in our country. Hopefully some people will get some better sense and will allow lighter films, and i will be one of the first to get them back on.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 13:32   #2619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
  1. Night the blidning lights from ORVM irritates and distracts more. Maybe put some sun film on them i guess. Only reversing at night feels better
This is my biggest irritant. It has become a real pain at night as majority of cars use high beam at night. All sumo cabs drive only with high beam. The ORVM glare is so bad that sometimes you are blinded by it.

The IRVM can atleast be flipped to night position but the ORVM's are useless at night as the car behind with high beam makes sure you can't even see anything when changing lanes.

I have some unused left over Garware film from the front glass. Planning on DIY and applying them on both ORVM's to reduce the glare.
Old 12th June 2012, 13:42   #2620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i will be one of the first to get them back on.
Score one for Team Sunfilm Manufacturers.

I am keeping mine on. Till they fine me or make me peel it off.
Old 12th June 2012, 14:24   #2621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I think I have said enough and more on this thread.
I agree with you completely, Ranjan. I do not know if my point is different. I have mentioned it earlier here as well as in other forums that I think it is very lame for the Supreme Court to blame sun films for crimes against women and kidnappings etc. It is ridiculously silly. I bet my car if at the end of a year or even more years, if they can link reduction of such crimes (if it has reduced) to cars without tints. Its like banning cars on roads because of car related accidents or banning houses because of domestic violence inside houses. Rules and Laws need to fight the "bad" not contributing factors. Root cause needs to be eradicated, then, even if you have fully opaque car windows, you will see no more crimes. Its the attitude that needs to be fixed, not the windows.
Anyway, I have removed them, and I wish the SC had mentioned something like this too "to increase visibility" because I personally feel visibility has indeed increased, the car feels airier, fresher, cleaner and actually roomier. I ma quite happy I removed the tints - but still unhappy about the reason why I had to remove it.
Old 12th June 2012, 14:32   #2622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[/list]The IRVM can atleast be flipped to night position but the ORVM's are useless at night as the car behind with high beam makes sure you can't even see anything when changing lanes.
With rear window sunfilms, I never had to use 'night' mode in RVM. Now with the film gone, I have to start flipping back & forth at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Please read this article in today's Hindu about whether the law has been correctly interpreted. The Hindu : NATIONAL / KARNATAKA : Did Supreme Court verdict err on banning sun films?
Former Advocate General B.V. Acharya's views (quoted from the article)
Quote:
The former Advocate General B.V. Acharya points out that the rule clearly states that glasses should not have a VLT less than 70 per cent on the front and the rear windscreen and not less than 50 per cent on the side windows.

“However, the rule does not forbid the manufacture or use of glass with a higher VLT than the minimum prescribed, nor does the rule forbid altering the VLT level using films on the windscreens and side windows, so long as it is not reduced below the minimum level prescribed. Hence, the rule gives absolute right to the user/owner of the vehicle to choose or alter percentage of VLT within the permitted range or limit and not to the manufacturer,” says Mr. Acharya.
Quote:
By wrongly interpreting the rules, Mr. Acharya points out, the Supreme Court has virtually legislated a new law, having far-reaching consequences and with retrospective effect, which it is not competent to do.
Quote:
Uday Holla, another former Advocate General, said the Supreme Court should have referred the issue to an experts' panel first.

Last edited by msdivy : 12th June 2012 at 14:39.
Old 12th June 2012, 14:41   #2623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Miss seeing few signals coz the sun blinds are down! Without the earlier front patti i had to keep it since the sun fries the hands at noon. But this is my issue.
Get the top 4-5inches of your windscreen sunfilmed with super-dark film. Like a amby taxi i dont think thats illegal, planning to do it in my AG.
Old 12th June 2012, 14:41   #2624
Senior - BHPian

I read in today's Times of India that police are saying not even curtains are allowed. How ridiculous can it be, when police cars have curtains. I saw one today, and posted the photo here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2806003

Our cops are so busy solving the problems that they think exist, but the 99% of the public (who they should be serving) think not.
Old 12th June 2012, 14:47   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I have mentioned it earlier here as well as in other forums that I think it is very lame for the Supreme Court to blame sun films for crimes against women and kidnappings etc.
I do not believe that the court endorsed the view that is quoted above. What it did have to do was interpret whether or not these films were allowed per law and hence the ruling. Not that I agree with it.

I do subscribe to the popular view that the relevant sections quoted in the judgement are provisions introduced to ensure that the driver had adequate visibility and hence increased road safety. I do not believe that the intention of the law was to prevent people from using sun film as long as the prescribed VLT levels are maintained.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks