Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:42   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I don't mind removing the films, only need a safer DIY way to do this, read the earlier post from @mayankk, it needs some Ammonia spray. Isn't there a simpler non chemical way to do this?
same article, ignore the ammonia method.
there's a couple of other methods which sound logical enough, and dont need industrial chems...
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:51   #257
BHPian

re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Point no. 27 states as follows -

"For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black
films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the
safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of
all vehicles throughout the country. The Home Secretary,
Director General/Commissioner of Police of the respective
States/Centre shall ensure compliance with this direction.
The directions contained in this judgment shall become
operative and enforceable with effect from 4 th May, 2012."

Basically no sort of film is now allowed.

Attaching the copy of the order that I searched from the official website of Supreme Court of India
I did skim through the attachment. In the initial points they have discussed some difference between "Black" and "Tinted" but I was unable to conclude exactly if there is difference between the two.

Even Point 27 says "Black". Does it imply that other color tints within permissable limits is OK
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:00   #258
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I read & try to understand the Suprement Court Rulling on Tinted Glasses.

The last point in Judgement, i.e. Point No. 28 States that:
With the above directions, we partially allow this writ petition and prohibit use of black films of any percentage VLT upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses. However, there shall be no order as to costs.

Now, petition filed was to ban all types of films on Cars, but the Judgement clearly states that "We partially allow", this means that all the requests made by Petitioner are not accepted.

Thus my understanding say that Black Films of any VLT percentage are banned. But the Judgement is not clear on other films. may be some lawyer on T-BHP will able to understand & explain the judgement better.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:03   #259
Senior - BHPian

I was just about to put sunfilm on my car - and now this. I will wait for all the confusion to clear before going any further with sunfilm.

The cynic in me thinks that this is all a game. The sunfilm manufacturers could be behind this. Now all films are banned, people will take out whatever films they are using. A few months down the time, someone will file a petition to review the order and the earlier limits will get reinstated. Voila! People will rush to put sunfilms on their cars and the manufacturers will be very happy.

EDIT: If only black films are banned, as is being suggested here, then this will lead to even more confusion. There will certainly be differences of opinion between police and car owners on what is black film and what is not.

Last edited by StarrySky : 2nd May 2012 at 13:19.
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:04   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within
Even Point 27 says "Black". Does it imply that other color tints within permissable limits is OK
Minutiae. Last sentence in para 26.
Begin quote.
No black film or any other material can be pasted on windscreens and side glasses of vehicles.
End quote.
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:06   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

Now, petition filed was to ban all types of films on Cars, but the Judgement clearly states that "We partially allow", this means that all the requests made by Petitioner are not accepted.

Thus my understanding say that Black Films of any VLT percentage are banned. But the Judgement is not clear on other films. may be some lawyer on T-BHP will able to understand & explain the judgement better.

Thanks,
From what I understand, the petition was for banning all tinted glasses. However, the court partially allowed the petition by banning black films, but they did not ban "manufacturer tinted glasses" conforming to the VLT specifications.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:13   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I was just about to put sunfilm on my car - and now this. I will wait for all the confusion to clear before going any further with sunfilm.
Hello StarrySky,

wait for a couple of day & dust will settle down. I strongly feel that there is a confusion here. It seems to me that Supreme Court has banned Black Sun Films of any VLT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
From what I understand, the petition was for banning all tinted glasses. However, the court partially allowed the petition by banning black films, but they did not ban "manufacturer tinted glasses" conforming to the VLT specifications.
Hello Holyghost,

Yes. The Court the partially accepted the petition which means that all the request made are not accepted & only black films are banned.

Thanks,
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:14   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Para No. 24. Another issue that has been raised in the present Writ Petition is that certain VIPs/VVIPs are using black films on their vehicles for security reasons.Even this practice is not supported by law, as no notification by the competent authority has been brought to our notice, giving exemption to such vehicles from the operation of Rule 100 or any of its provisions. Be that as it may, we do not wish to enter upon the arena of the security and safety measures when the police department and Home Ministry consider such exemption appropriate. The cases of the persons who have been provided with Z and Z+ security category may be considered by a Committee consisting of the Director General of Police/Commissioner of Police of the concerned State and the Home Secretary of that State/Centre. It will be for that Committee to examine such cases for grant of exemption in accordance with law and upon due application of mind. These certificates should be provided only in relation to official cars of VIPs/VVIPs, depending upon the category of security that such person has been awarded by the competent authority. The appropriate government is free to make any regulations that it may consider appropriate in this regard.
This is clear that VVIPs can still use the black tints if they have got their respective DGP / Commissioner's approval.

Quote:
Para No. 26. The manufacturer of the vehicle may manufacture the vehicles with tinted glasses which have Visual Light Transmission (VLT) of safety glasses windscreen (front and rear) as 70 per cent VLT and side glasses as 40 per cent VLT, respectively. No black film or any other material can be pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.

Para No. 27. For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country.
This is also clear that the manufacturer can manufacture the vehicle using permissible limit of tints and NO BLACK film or ANY OTHER MATERIAL can be pasted on windscreen or side glasses.

Hope these doubts are now much clear!

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 2nd May 2012 at 13:16.
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:25   #264
BHPian

Now it is pretty much clear that the SC has banned films, or any material on the windscreens and window glasses. The court has also allowed "factory tinted glasses" which do not contain any kind of films (material similar to our sunglasses).

Now the question is, can we replace our window glasses and put tinted glasses? As long as it is not any kind of film stuck on the glasses, they are legal according to this ruling.
How much do they cost?
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:39   #265
BHPian

This is sort of an ongoing trend in Delhi. Ban any kind of sunfilms first, prosecute atleast 10,000 vehicles & remove their sunfilms. When quota is achieved, ease off & gradually 'tolerate' sunfilms of 50%VLT sides & 70% front.

I expect the sunfilm removal drive to be the most active for 2 weeks of May, starting from the 4th.

It is still left to see what the Sunfilm manufacturers have to say on this. 3M & VKool,Llumar stand to lose plenty if this regulation stays. Not to mention the various accessory shops that have stocked up on sunfilms for this summer season.

I think we all need to wait for the dust to settle down, as pointed out earlier in the thread. It isn't worth ripping off your expensive sunfilm only to find out that they have been partially legalized after 10 days. Do note driving your tinted car in this period is at your own peril.

Last edited by JustCause : 2nd May 2012 at 13:41.
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:52   #266
BHPian

Please note that if you still drive your car with sun films from 4th May onwards then Delhi Traffic Police will remove the sun film ON THE SPOT. If you don't agree then your car will be IMPOUNDED and you will be issued a COURT CHALLAN. Please be prepared for this.

If someone wants a modification in this law then he / she can challenge this judgement in the full bench of the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India.

Please check the message of Mr. Satyendra Garg - JCP, Delhi Traffic Police here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2763933

Cheers!
Irish
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:53   #267
BHPian

Some years back they banned smoking in public places. The following three days even a terrorist could've walked around wading a AK47 and reams of ammo, but every smoker was fined. We all know what happened then. And then came Gutka ban. Blah!! With all due respects (actually nah!), I wonder why the apex court is so bent on making itself an object of ridicule. Do they want to kill a whole industry in the country over their thoughtless whim!! In all likely hood, there will be an appeal from the industry body. Is it even the judiciary's domain to rewrite rules?!
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:12   #268
Team-BHP Support

Interesting! The sun-film installers may soon will have to make a living by adapting themselves to become professional sun-film removers.
If the law stays on, very soon we may have manufacturers advertising factory fitted tints as a feature – better tints for higher variants.

Edit: Majority of the references are from TOI. Is it that other publications have not clearly indicated the rules around this?

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd May 2012 at 14:14. Reason: comment added
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:18   #269
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Supreme court has only banned use of sun films which are extra dark and beyond the specified limit of 70% and 50%. It doesn't change anything for those who stick to this limit
The actual court order text is here:
http://courtnic.nic.in/supremecourt/...c%2026511p.txt

What the The times of india article says is true: What I could understand from the order is that the manufacturers if they wish may manufacture the car with tinted glasses with minimum 70% VLT in the front and 50% on the sides, and adding any other film on the original glasses is banned, w e f May 4, 2012.

The last paragraph clearly states that :

For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black
films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the
safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of
all vehicles throughout the country. The Home Secretary,
Director General/Commissioner of Police of the respective
States/Centre shall ensure compliance with this direction.
The directions contained in this judgment shall become
operative and enforceable with effect from 4 th May, 2012

Last edited by sandsun7 : 2nd May 2012 at 14:23.
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:27   #270
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Irish(?) - its quite clear:
23. In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in
holding that use of black films or any other material upon
safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible.

Bah
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks