Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:26   #376
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

And I got the Films installed just 10 days backs because of the extremely hot sun. It is ok to drive in winter but places in AP and most of India are like ovens in Summer even with AC at full blow.

Seriously this is one of the most irrational Judgment passed by the Court. What is the point of having a court if they listen to only one side of the argument.

If they are saying it promotes crime against women after being kidnapped, I will vouch for it saying that in the first instance, they protect more women from prying eyes day or night.
They reduce the chance of theft. It is easy to spot a car with valuables without tint. But with Tint, they have to actually stand very close to see if they can loot anything or target a car. Chance of someone spotting a thief is higher in the above case.

No wonder Kasab is still living like a King in India. If the court has time to pass a judgment on the source of crime, I hope they will sometime pass judgment on actual crime.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:30   #377
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Nope nobody is allowed, unless specifically reviewed and approval taken from Govt for security concerns.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:30   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'm having trouble understanding this statement. VLT as far as I know is a % of light. How does that change with night and day ?
I know and I find it very funny for something like that to be written in the judgement document. Also, the repeated quotes about "this court has never said yada yada..", I found it extremely condescending.

The judgement itself leaves a lot of holes. Why would they want to use the term 'black film' instead of any colour film?
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:31   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
What about VIP cars? Are they allowed to sport these tints and films?
An excerpt from the judgement:

"Another issue that has been raised in the present Writ
Petition is that certain VIPs/VVIPs are using black films on
their vehicles for security reasons. Even this practice is not
supported by law, as no notification by the competent
authority has been brought to our notice, giving exemption to
such vehicles from the operation of Rule 100 or any of its
provisions. Be that as it may, we do not wish to enter upon
the arena of the security and safety measures when the police
department and Home Ministry consider such exemption
appropriate. The cases of the persons who have been
provided with Z and Z+ security category may be considered
by a Committee consisting of the Director General of
Police/Commissioner of Police of the concerned State and the
Home Secretary of that State/Centre. It will be for that
Committee to examine such cases for grant of exemption in
accordance with law and upon due application of mind.
These certificates should be provided only in relation to official
cars of VIPs/VVIPs, depending upon the category of security
that such person has been awarded by the competent
authority. The appropriate government is free to make any
regulations that it may consider appropriate in this regard"

VVIPs under Z and Z+ categories may have sunfilms on their cars with certification from the Director General of police and the home secretary of the state.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:37   #380
Team-BHP Support

There are no holes my friend, its a very clear judgement unlike other orders which has lot of things to read in between. Hard reality is no one is going forward to change this and soon the mamu's on road will make some money and you and me will sit and fry in the sun.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:40   #381
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
What about VIP cars? Are they allowed to sport these tints and films?
You think there wouldnt be a provision for that?!
This is from the ruling :

Quote:
Another issue that has been raised in the present Writ Petition is that certain VIPs/VVIPs are using black films on their vehicles for security reasons. Even this practice is not supported by law, as no notification by the competent authority has been brought to our notice, giving exemption to such vehicles from the operation of Rule 100 or any of its provisions. Be that as it may, we do not wish to enter upon the arena of the security and safety measures when the police department and Home Ministry consider such exemption appropriate. The cases of the persons who have been provided with Z and Z+ security category may be considered by a Committee consisting of the Director General of Police/Commissioner of Police of the concerned State and the Home Secretary of that State/Centre. It will be for that Committee to examine such cases for grant of exemption in accordance with law and upon due application of mind. These certificates should be provided only in relation to official cars of VIPs/VVIPs, depending upon the category of security that such person has been awarded by the competent authority. The appropriate government is free to make any regulations that it may consider appropriate in this regard.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:41   #382
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I read in this thread that in Delhi Newpapers there is a Advertisement (public information) from Delhi Police in this regard.

Are similar advertisements appreared in newspapers in other cities / states? I stay in Mumbai & there is no official communication what-so-ever from Traffic Police department.

Friends, please share if you have seen such announcements in your respective Cities.

Also I feel let us all (except Delhi / NCR car-owners) wait & watch. In any other City there is absolutely no communication from authorities & drive against Sunfilms may not start from tomorrow itself.

Thanks,
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:48   #383
Senior - BHPian

Well I don't favor banning of all types of black films used in cars. The films used in legal limits i.e. 50% and 70% respectively are essentials of any car. As a man I feel uncomfortable while driving around Delhi-NCR at night, I wonder how women drivers will cope over this.

Legal sun film benefits - Better A/C performance + Better Mileage + Privacy for women + protection of expensive ICE and gadgets like laptops/bags/mobiles/camera etc + car definitely looks cool with tints.

Next order will be to tear off all curtains of your house and let neighbors/passerby see what you do inside your house as well.

Anyhow I will be still using these two types of sun shades while my car is parked to prevent clear view of interiors of my Honda City.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-car_1.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-mys002s.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I feel this is a ill thought judgement. Sun films are a boon in metro's for women, especially at night since they can avoid so much of unwanted attention. If the reason is criminal activities like rape, i would say more number of women are saved because of sun film. More car break in's are avoided since valuables are away from prying eyes.
I 100% agree with your post and it is infact the summary of the discussion going on this thread for last few days!

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd May 2012 at 11:52.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:56   #384
Senior - BHPian

i'm guessing other than Delhi and NCR, people intend to wait and watch, meaning not take their cars out; don't wanna look like a fool if the rule is retracted a week later!

do you know the impact of this? no cars on road = less traffic!
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:04   #385
Team-BHP Support

I forwarded this thread link to many of my colleagues who have sun films on their cars and they are ok with the judgement. Their argument is that the Supreme court has passed many such rulings that are hardly enforced beyond a month of the order.

I am not affected by this ruling since I do not have sun films on both of my cars. I did receive a couple of calls from 3M to follow up on my enquiry regarding sun films. Seems their business is down.
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:08   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I forwarded this thread link to many of my colleagues who have sun films on their cars and they are ok with the judgement. Their argument is that the Supreme court has passed many such rulings that are hardly enforced beyond a month of the order.

I am not affected by this ruling since I do not have sun films on both of my cars. I did receive a couple of calls from 3M to follow up on my enquiry regarding sun films. Seems their business is down.
Well Just like 2G ruling.. what a waste of money :( we have put on Sunfilms. Ultimately we will have also to write the losses off
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:12   #387
BHPian

What a ridiculous new law.

So sun films are still allowed for VIPS and VVIPS because all of a sudden sun-films help in adding to their safety, while for normal folk it does the reverse?

Just another one to my list of 'things I dont get in India'.

Maybe Ill take public transport next week to work just in case the ruling gets reversed.
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:13   #388
Senior - BHPian

Does this judgment hold for all vehicles, say buses for instance? I'm wondering if the police would stop the private buses, tourist buses etc and tear off the sunfilms(with literally 0% VLT) on the rear windshield, curtains put on the side glasses etc.

Since the law says that nothing can be stuck on windshield, should I go ahead and remove the PALIO sticker placed on the top of the front windshield? If yes, I might need to replace the windshield as it has a crack at the top right corner. (Ah yes, the previous owner put the PALIO sticker on black sunfilm so as to prevent the windshield from further damage)
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:40   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
First they make us remove the films. After 3 months, when everything cools off, we go & fix the films again!

Crores made, Lakhs shared.

I really love our India.
Exactly! The Govt had to prevent the hike of fuel prices due to the recent elections. Now they could impose fine on this and make up a percentage on this. Later they can make money out of the films themselves!
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:44   #390
BHPian

Spoke to Amit who owns the 3M joint in Bangalore, It seems RTO has given time till the 13th of May to remove the tints. Also tints which comply to legal limits (50&70%) can still be used it seems. Guess people from Bangalore will have to wait and watch and then take a call,

P.s - Removal of film will be charged 400 Rs :-)
Knight Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed