Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 10:44   #481
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

DELHI UPDATE

No special checking for tints on Delhi Roads (Ring Road between ISBT and Ashram). During the rush hour the cops were busy in handling the traffic jams so may be they will start a bit late.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 4th May 2012, 10:53   #482
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Hello,

Thank you everyone from Dehli for the updates.

This is what I am streching since last few days. Guys, let us wait & watch. Let us not be in hurry & get the Sunfilms removed.

Though the SUpreme Court Judgement is pretty clear to everyone by now, but I feel the actual implementation (if it is implemented) will be only for Black & dark Sunfilms with little or no inside Car visibility.

By all means it seems impractical to for all the Car Owners to remove the Sunfilms, specially those which are RTO approved.

Thanks,
Old 4th May 2012, 10:54   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I have CR70 in front and back and CR50 on sides of my linea. I amhere for company . Even today there is no report in TOI chennai edition about such order. It is in one way good. These Maamu's will not know anything
I think Punto/Linea already have tinted glass with 90% VLT - so by further having film with 70% VLT on front windshield and 50% VLT on the sides aren't you mathematically falling into the illegal VLT range? (I mean, even without the latest SC judgement)?
Old 4th May 2012, 11:06   #484
Team-BHP Support

Am sure the 3M, Garware, Vkools of this world will file for an appeal of sorts
Old 4th May 2012, 11:11   #485
BHPian

Got my car's tints removed yesterday evening.
What was most frustrating was there was absolutely no checking today morning and many guys were still driving with tints on!
Old 4th May 2012, 11:18   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
Got my car's tints removed yesterday evening.
I think you jumped the gun too soon, with no clarity on how and when its going to be implemented most are waiting and watching. This morning on Bangalore roads there was no sign of cops even thinking of any action against glass with films.

For the next 2-3 days my cars are grounded. Will wait for some clarity on the situation and then either i would remove the films or leave them as it is, even though they are completely see through.
Old 4th May 2012, 11:22   #487
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why the court is not following the rules as per MV Act. If visibility of 70% for front and rear, and 50% of sides is allowed in the same, why make another requirement ? Court is not legislating authority, only enforcing rule of law and dealing out justice, no ? And why are transparent films a problem ? What about blinds from car manufacturers like Skoda Superb or Passat ?

@ajmat, looks logical. And we have to thank them if they do!

Last edited by lancer_rit : 4th May 2012 at 11:26.
Old 4th May 2012, 11:22   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I think you jumped the gun too soon, with no clarity on how and when its going to be implemented most are waiting and watching. This morning on Bangalore roads there was no sign of cops even thinking of any action against glass with films.

For the next 2-3 days my cars are grounded. Will wait for some clarity on the situation and then either i would remove the films or leave them as it is, even though they are completely see through.
I know I might have jumped too soon!
Anyways, my car tints were not anywhere near to the earlier permissible limit.
If all goes well, I am planning to put 50% VLT on sides and 70% VLT on front and back.
Lets see what happens!
Old 4th May 2012, 11:37   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think Punto/Linea already have tinted glass with 90% VLT - so by further having film with 70% VLT on front windshield and 50% VLT on the sides aren't you mathematically falling into the illegal VLT range? (I mean, even without the latest SC judgement)?
No idea about Linea 2012 but Punto 2012 comes with 70% transparency on all sides (plus rear windscreen) except for front windscreen which has got 75% visibility. The same can be seen on the respective glasses (bottom right side or bottom left side).

And as per the judgement, cars can have tints provided by the manufacturer but within the limits (i.e. 70% and 50%).

Cheers!
Irish
Old 4th May 2012, 11:38   #490
BHPian

Its still wait and watch here...no communication whatsoever in both Mumbai & Pune (please feel free to refute if any of you have seen anything otherwise).
Old 4th May 2012, 11:58   #491
Senior - BHPian

I am in no way inclined to remove the tints on my car esp after having spent a good amount of money in getting them installed. I have 3M RE35 on the sides and rear and CR70 on the front for both my Esteem and the Civic.

Took a chance today and came to office by car and I could not sense anything that was abnormal on the roads. All cars had their sunfilms on. I did pass quite a few cops and they seemed to mind their own business.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 12:08   #492
BHPian

I think only a court order/some action from the Govt can solve this issue. Some fellow tbhpans have been saying that everything will be back to normal in a month or so. That might be true but I don't think anybody can drive peacefully with sunfilms on his/her car as long as that rule exists. If the cops stop us one day for the tints, all we can do is pay the fine and if they insist on removing the film on the spot, we will have to do that as well. But I too believe that we should wait for some time to see how our Governments implement this.

And there's another possible issue IMO.
New car owners are unlikely to put sunfilms on their cars with this new rule in place which will bring a change in ratio between cars with sunfilms and the ones without them. The cops then will have to take action against the ones with sunfilms.

Any SC lawyer here ?
Old 4th May 2012, 12:15   #493
BHPian

Jug Suraiya has an easier solution:

Quote:
1st cop: You know what? Instead of banning this and banning that, there's only one sure-fire way to prevent crimes against women. And that's to ban women. No women, no crimes committed against them.
Shady deal : Jug Suraiya's blog-The Times Of India

darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 12:19   #494
Senior - BHPian

i just dropped my Dad at the railway station (Thrissur) and on my way back saw couple of private cars parked on the side and people sitting inside and removing the tints

irony of the situation was that there was a MLA's Amby parked right opposite with super dark tints and the driver was standing, having a ciggy and smiling at these guys!
Old 4th May 2012, 12:28   #495
BHPian

Rules on use of tinted glass in cars soon in karnataka

Quote:
Rules related to use of tinted glass in vehicles in City and State will be fine-tuned at a meeting of Transport and other department officials to be convened shortly, according to Transport Minister R Ashoka

source : Rules on use of tinted glass in cars soon
Closed Thread

Most Viewed