Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 21:19   #616
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Do you actually think, clicking some button on Facebook is going move SC or its order? Yes, discussing here also will not affect the order but it will make us aware of the situation. If some one or some group of companies who are most affected can file for a stay order in a full bench and that application is accepted by the Apex court then only thibg will start moving.
Dada how do you think the Arab uprising started in Tunisia, Libya and spread till egypt

The power of networking!!!
Alter_Ego is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 21:27   #617
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Dada how do you think the Arab uprising started in Tunisia, Libya and spread till egypt

Oh!!! Good one, that was Arab, this is India, there were lashes, eye for eye hand for hand rules and etc... But yes networking does have its own power, but not in a Democracy like India, at least not till now, may be we see one soon.Till that day comes, one judgement can have "+"/"-", but till the time you legally challange it, it stays as a law of the land. Thid does not mean I am in for this ruling but I removed my tints, so that in Rs 100/- I can have 2 Ltrs of Diesel rather than feeding cops.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 21:28   #618
BHPian

This ruling will hardly last unless it is amended.
OEM tinted glasses dont block out UV rays that much. 3m films have been certified by the Skin cancer foundation that use of such films also reduces the incidence of Skin cancer.
With due respect to the Apex court, this decision needs to be amended. The film companies need to point out the pros and cons of using the sun films. A blanket ban is not justified as it will inconvenience the commuters on the road.
As it is the weather in India has only become worse over the years. Without tints ac wouldnt cool much and also leading to expenditure of fuel.

Further lack of sun films make things worse for the occupants of the car. Small babies, people prone to skin allergies etc all will have problem with direct exposure to the sun.

If the blanket ban continues and companies have to close shop, then unemployment wil rise. Unemployment and lack of income will lead to rise in crime. So it will in fact serve the opposite purpose of what this ruling was intended to do.

When this case was being judged in court, i wonder where the film companies were? Or is this going to be a charade in which film companies stand to make a lot of money in the long run? First dump the films and then buy it again from us. :

What i am 100% clear about is we the law abiding citizens are the ones that stand to lose in the whole ordeal.

I wonder why Arnab Goswami of timesnow and Barkha Dutt of the Buck Stops Here arent debating on this on their respective shows. Or are they?
Old 4th May 2012, 21:28   #619
BHPian

Re: Sun Film

Bangalore Traffic Police have issue this in their FB page.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-btp.png

It says "Black film of any transparency not allowed"

The news from NDTV states " New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday banned the use of tinted glass, restricting visions beyond permissible limit as fixed under the Motor Vehicles Act, in vehicles."

I am confused with the Supreme Court verdict.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 4th May 2012 at 21:34.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:36   #620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040
Seems they were stopping only cars with reflective tints e.g. the silvery ones. I have RE35 and was not stopped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel
If yes, only sides and rear (RE35) or Front (CR70) also?
I am in Gurgaon (Rs.1,000/- zone) and can manage not to take out my car till Sunday.
It doesn't matter what tints you have. I have CR70 on the front and RE35 all around and was stopped. There were no lux meters. The cop just asked for the window to be rolled up, felt the film edge and then the rest followed.

As per the ruling, *no* film is allowed. It *may* *just* happen that cops don't catch CR70 or RE50 easily, but RE35 is definitely easily spotted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious
AFAIK, tinted glass offered by most manufacturers is just coloured glass(I'm not sure). I don't think it's a sunfilm in between two layers of glass. Though the VLT is low, it doesn't offer UV protection or heat rejection like the sunfilms.
That's the whole problem. All I really care about is the heat and UV rejection, although I can understand my wife's PoV when she would like a little light blocked as well when wearing jewellery or when passing through shady areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
Any action in Cochin/Kerala? I saw many cops standing at many junctions waiting anxiously. Then while coming back, saw many bikes being checked at various points.
That's another thing I'm wary about now. Riding an AP-registered bike now in Gurgaon with a challan in place of a DL is bound to lure me into more trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
BTW, when this rule came into effect I just noticed the number of cars with tints. Guess almost 95% of the cars in Cochin got tints. If the rule is going to be strict guess shops will be busy with cars waiting for the tints to be removed.
I won't be surprised to see the installers charge premium prices for de-installation now. This is their chance to make an absolute killing before closing that line of business for good. Something tells me that no amount of armchair petitioning and activism will see this ruling get reversed or become less severe in any way. :(

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th May 2012, 21:36   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Can someone please translate the following post from Bangalore Traffic Police? I can see that it talks about 70% and 50% but not sure if it's talking about exact dates/fines/whether sunfilm is allowed with 70% and 50% VLT or not. Seems to me that we'll have to get rid of the tints (and I was thinking about putting a transparent film in front for heat rejection )

Check these links too - Wall Photos | Facebook

and a post by a police officer MA Saleem.

Here is what it says -
Quote:
As you are aware, Hon'ble Supreme court of India in W.P. no 265/2011 has directed removal of tincted material on the front, back and side glasses of vehicles. The visiblity of front and rear glass should be 70% and for side glasses it should be 50% as per rule 100 of Cenral Motor vehicle rules. The Hon'ble court has directed enforecement of this rule from 4th May 2012 onwards.
We had extensive discussions with Transport department officials about the modalities of implementation of this ruls. As per the directions of the Supreme court we will be enforcing this rule forthwith and will commence a campaign for removal of all tincted material from glasses of the vehicle.
All the vehicle owners are requested to remove black films/ tinted material on all safety glasses (windscreen, rear glass and side glasses) in their vehicles at the earliest.

Last edited by Eddy : 4th May 2012 at 21:45. Reason: Quoting, instead of the bold font
triedeverything is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 21:37   #622
BHPian

I just signed Petition: the supreme court of india: Reconsider decision on a blanket ban on car films. | Change.org. I sincerely hope it will be considered.
rajni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 21:44   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Do you actually think, clicking some button on Facebook is going move SC or its order? Yes, discussing here also will not affect the order but it will make us aware of the situation. If some one or some group of companies who are most affected can file for a stay order in a full bench and that application is accepted by the Apex court then only thibg will start moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post

Ben Rattray - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 04/23/12 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Please watch the video, an interview with the founder of the website "change.org" wherein he explains how 'Clicking a link on facebook' can change the world around you. Also, ek click mein kya jaata hai (what do you lose by clicking ONE measly link) ?

Please do not stand by and stay silent, people have regretted it over the years, across history, from Rome to Germany to ... (lets not get into this )

Please click and vote.

Please also share the link after you sign the petition. That's how a petition works.

Last edited by godog : 4th May 2012 at 21:49.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:46   #624
BHPian

Bangalore Traffic Police have uploaded this on their facebook portal, looks like we bangaloreans are to do away with the sun flim as well
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-btp.jpg  

xstream_nos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 21:52   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godog View Post

Also, ek click mein kya jaata hai (what do you lose by clicking ONE measly link) ?

Please do not stand by and stay silent, people have regretted it over the years, across history, from Rome to Germany to ... (lets not get into this )

Please click and vote.
I am fully with you on this, but what makes me sad is, in past also such online campaign came and gone nothing changed, I did sign it but don't think this will change anything, so if some one has to challange it, have to do it in a court, that was my point.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:53   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstream_nos View Post
Bangalore Traffic Police have uploaded this on their facebook portal, looks like we bangaloreans are to do away with the sun flim as well
Mine is dark film and I am going to do away with this tomorrow :(
BTP is now equipped with digital cameras and they shoot everything which they can fine
Old 4th May 2012, 21:56   #627
Senior - BHPian

Here is a common petition that is being sent via facebook to reconsider this decision:

Petition: the supreme court of india: Reconsider decision on a blanket ban on car films. | Change.org

I'd suggest all bhpians to participate as well.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 22:06   #628
BHPian

Re: Sun Film

In the petition "Reconsider Decision On Blanket Ban on Films", the first point noted is:
Quote:
1. Existing guidelines (70% front and rear VLT, 50% side glass VLT) need to be enforced rather than relegated to history books.
This ruling further takes away basic rights of the common man in the name of the "Rule of Law", as even ex-MLAs and councillors ride in cars that are blacked out or have shiny/silver films on the glasses. The timing is further questionable as it is the onset of summer, nee SCORCHING summer. The view that ALL films are criminal is an extreme view, an unjustified view. It is as unjust and as extreme as calling all Politicians "Corrupt".
Old 4th May 2012, 22:11   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I won't be surprised to see the installers charge premium prices for de-installation now. This is their chance to make an absolute killing before closing that line of business for good.
if someone in our members is aware of the procedure to remove the sun film safely and the proper way, he/she can post it here for the benefit of the community. i'm sure we can safe a couple of hundred bucks in this way. maybe a DIY thread?

anyone tried it already?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 4th May 2012 at 22:17.
Old 4th May 2012, 22:12   #630
Senior - BHPian

and what about the huge eco burden of having so much plastic to dump, all of a sudden?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks