Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 12:49   #691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So what about the Volvo buses plying with the huge advertisement stickers on the side over the windows. You can't see inside one of them at all.

Isn't that reducing visibility as well?
But Volvo buses haven't been used for rape, molestation or any other security breaching activity apart from Rash driving.

Not going into the legality or sensibility of the whole judgement, but am quite amused to see all those reactions about how my car is going to look without sun films. Boy oh boy, people are talking as if life is being sucked out of their car. I understand for a lot of people it will be a good amount of money gone waste, but then a law is a law and the judgement notes that and comments thus
Quote:
As opposed to this constitutional mandate, a trivial individual protection or inconvenience, if any, must yield in favour of the larger public interest.
And as regards to your car, it will look just like any other car.

Personally I'm not affected by this rule as I don't use films in any of my cars because it hinders my night time peripheral vision especially on long drives.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 12:53   #692
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I have not seen anyone implement this in Chennai as yet.

I wonder if the crime rate still does not stop, would the next step be ban cars/vans altogether.

I feel even though this might have immediate effects, I think the government should find a more mature solution such as have active cameras throughout the city, because in Chennai they have installed cameras everywhere but only a few are active. Increase night survailence.

Also, let the cops be more accessible to the public, have very strict consequences to rapists rather than not even file a FIR like what we saw in the news in Noida/Delhi. Even the politicians should not escape if they are caught. I am sure if there are strict consequences the crime rate will automatically die down.

But in this land everyone just finds the easy solution rather than the root of the problem, sigh, hope that this changes with the new generation.

Last edited by xtremeshock : 5th May 2012 at 12:55.
Old 5th May 2012, 12:55   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
But Volvo buses haven't been used for rape, molestation or any other security breaching activity apart from Rash driving.

Not going into the legality or sensibility of the whole judgement, but am quite amused to see all those reactions about how my car is going to look without sun films. Boy oh boy, people are talking as if life is being sucked out of their car. I understand for a lot of people it will be a good amount of money gone waste, but then a law is a law and the judgement notes that and comments thus

And as regards to your car, it will look just like any other car.

Personally I'm not affected by this rule as I don't use films in any of my cars because it hinders my night time peripheral vision especially on long drives.

Cheers
I agree with you milecruncher , i see a lot of noise made about the chennai heat and how will everyone work without sunfilm on thier cars , Dubai which has much higher tempratures than anywhere in India follows a strict no film approach , i have lived and worked there for a long time and it has never been a real problem .

I also do not have sunfilm on any of my cars and i live in Delhi.
wbd8779 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 13:05   #694
BHPian

i think this is all just a cheap trick to find another way to extort money from helpless motorists! its insane and unreasonable if they ban sun films completely.

P. S. - they may not have started full fledge harassment in mumbai yet but if started and working in rest of india then i think its only a matter of time they will start a full blown attack in mumbai! wake up guys! sign the petition today. if only our team-bhp army starts reacting, i think it will be more than enough! we are more than enough for producing a lac signatures if we want!

EDIT: by the way I signed my petition. did you?!

Last edited by magikrider : 5th May 2012 at 13:23.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 13:07   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkings View Post
Nothing in Pune yesterday and nothing so far. Can anyone else from Mumbai/Pune corroborate please?
Nothing in Mumbai yet, travelled form Juhu to goregaon and saw no cops stopping anyone for tints. Havent removed tints from my car and don't intend to
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 13:17   #696
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
I agree with you milecruncher , i see a lot of noise made about the chennai heat and how will everyone work without sunfilm on thier cars , Dubai which has much higher tempratures than anywhere in India follows a strict no film approach , i have lived and worked there for a long time and it has never been a real problem .

I also do not have sunfilm on any of my cars and i live in Delhi.
I had no AC in my car 25 years back, I'm still alive. The point is not, whether you can survive the sun, it's about how will it help crimes by making 30% sunfilm illegal.

If you see the globe, you can try google maps as well, Chennai is bound to have much more sun than Dubai, just that its not a desert.

I'm sure 3M in Dubai must be an illegal company, openly providing illegal services, Automotive Window Films :: 3M Authorised Autocare Center
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 13:22   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
I have not seen anyone implement this in Chennai as yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Nothing in Mumbai
Since this is a Supreme Court order, States will have no option than acting on violations. No worries, you too will feel the heat soon
Old 5th May 2012, 13:43   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saty View Post
This is the order of a Full Bench, and not a division bench order. So not much hope at all. The only likely changes might come from a review petition and that too any changes are not likely to be substantial!
As far as my knowledge goes it was a Division Bench. And there is plenty of room for a change in matters on appeal.
jalex77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 13:46   #699
Team-BHP Support

Update: Drove from Dwarka to Naraina via Mayapuri & back. Saw no action whatsoever.
Old 5th May 2012, 13:51   #700
Senior - BHPian

Went around Airport Road (Old), Indranagar, Kormangala, HSR and finally Sarjapur Road. There are cops on the road but not interested in Sun-film related checking.

I saw some of them checking for seat-belts, helmets, and signal violations and the likes but none on Sun-film related order of the SC. Didn't dare to stop and ask some of them .
Old 5th May 2012, 13:52   #701
Senior - BHPian

Just a quick update:

There is no action whatsoever in Mumbai yet. Drove my car in western suburns yesterday & today morning, but Cops were not stopping anyone for dark films.

Also read news in Times of India that 4600+ Car were caught & fined on day one in Delhi & NCR, which is quite a high number.

Hope this does not spread to other cities.

Thanks,
Old 5th May 2012, 14:21   #702
BHPian

I too signed up for the petition.

I'm just worried about one thing, what if the crime rate increases because it would be easier to target lonely women (or even men) driving? A lot of car jacking has happened in Bangalore Outer Ring Roads where lonely drivers are targeted.
Consider this, cars with tints offer some privacy & it is quite difficult for folks with a criminal intent to target such people, unless they know for sure by some other means. Now with no tints, such people are at the mercy of everyone's prying eyes, who is to say, crime rates may escalate even further.

Only wish the SC had looked at this angle too (not sure if they already did, didn't find any such counter argument in the judgement).

IMO, the way to tackle such crimes are to enforce strict checking & patrolling, beef up the police force (if they have a shortage, then they need to re-look at the issue why there is a shortage, why don't common folks join the force, what is in it form people joining the force, are they incentivised properly etc.)

In Bangalore, I have seen a lot of policemen doing rounds even late at night. I was stopped once when returning from office at around 2am, was asked where I was coming from & where my house was. Pretty good.

Ok, the rule states: [(2) The glass of the windscreen and rear window of every motor vehicle shall be such and shall be maintained in such a condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 70%. The glasses used for side windows are such and shall be maintained in such condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 50%, and shall conform to Indian Standards [IS: 2553— Part 2—1992].

I have a Verna where the front windshield is at 75% VLT & all the rest are at 70% VLT. Hyundai has complied to the Indian standards & even going further complying with the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations (UN/ECE) and in Britain which states [In Europe, Regulation No. 43 of the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations (UN/ECE) and in Britain, the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations, 1986, respectively, refer to the International Standard ISO 3538 on this issue, providing for VLT percentage of 70 and 75 per cent respectively].
Not sure why, guess its easier to maintain inventory when 1 size fits both India & EU.

Since Indian standards allows 50% VLT, wouldn't it be within the law to reduce my side windows' VLT from 70% to 50%?

My tints are really light & the insides are quite visible, so I will wait & watch.
Old 5th May 2012, 14:42   #703
BHPian

Was driving around central Delhi yesterday saw cops removing films on about 4-5 occasions.
While driving on UP link road today saw Noida police stopping cars with black film.
And on one occasion saw a jet black tinted Linea and passengers were going away after ONLY interrogation. Some contacts still working
Old 5th May 2012, 14:56   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234
All I can say is share this petition as much as possible and get as many people as you can to sign in. Only some 300 people have signed it already which is nothing. This is one way of possibly getting some media attention to the topic. But many more signatures are needed.

Petition: the supreme court of india: Reconsider decision on a blanket ban on car films. | Change.org

If the fool who filed a PIL could get an SC order with only 25 cases, lets give him 10000+ signatures on this.
I also suggest the same; please sign the petition and circulate as much as possible. I have already signed the petition yesterday.
Old 5th May 2012, 14:57   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibzi View Post
This is getting quite confusing. Some people are saying upto certain % it is being allowed while some are saying its totally not allowed. Could somebody please clear the air, for the benefit of all?

Thanks.
The last two paragraphs of the Supreme Court Judgement:

26. The manufacturer of the vehicle may manufacture the vehicles with tinted glasses which have Visual Light Transmission (VLT) of safety glasses windscreen (front and rear) as 70 per cent VLT and side glasses as 40 per cent VLT, respectively. No black film or any other material can be pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.

27. For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country. The Home Secretary, Director General/Commissioner of Police of the respective States/Centre shall ensure compliance with this direction. The directions contained in this judgment shall become operative and enforceable with effect from 4thMay, 2012. 28. With the above directions, we partially allow this writ petition and prohibit use of black films of any percentage VLT upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses. However, there shall be no order as to costs.

Are we clear now?
jalex77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks