Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 15:01   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Not going into the legality or sensibility of the whole judgement, but am quite amused to see all those reactions about how my car is going to look without sun films. Boy oh boy, people are talking as if life is being sucked out of their car.
Try visiting some other sections too, you'd be even more amazed how people react to a teeny tiny scratch (almost invisible to the naked eye) on their car. Boy o boy you'd be amazed, its like life had been sucked out of them and their car!

Signed the petition and shared with 16 facebook friends (16 is the limit)

Petition: the supreme court of india: Reconsider decision on a blanket ban on car films. | Change.org#
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 15:23   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Try visiting some other sections too, you'd be even more amazed how people react to a teeny tiny scratch (almost invisible to the naked eye) on their car. Boy o boy you'd be amazed, its like life had been sucked out of them and their car!

Petition: the supreme court of india: Reconsider decision on a blanket ban on car films. | Change.org#
Good god, no!
On an automotive forum?
You must be joking.

On T, reporting from central delhi/india gate to NDLS, didnt run into any checks.

So they apparently aint doing it during rush hours for obvious reasons, and not on a holiday so far.
how did they manage 5000 challans on the first day?
Old 5th May 2012, 15:32   #708
Senior - BHPian

Went from dwarka to vikas puri, janak puri and back, no action regarding films today too. Let's see, how many more days, i can continue with them .

Sameer
Old 5th May 2012, 15:58   #709
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Totally agree with you.

But for many the judgement is also about dilly dallying by Supreme Court and Delhi Police (the most active force in implementing the ruling).

Remember, in Delhi films were totally banned. Only a few daring types had it on their cars. Then film manufacturers went to court against Delhi Police's order. Supreme Court set aside the objection of Delhi Police and legalised 70/50 films. That was 2/3 years ago.

It was from here that the films really caught on. Manufacturers made investments, shopkeepers increased their stocks and car owners went for it.

And now comes this 'enlightened' interpretation by SC. The hallmark of the confusing times, evident in every sphere of policy making, the country is going through.
Old 5th May 2012, 16:50   #710
BHPian

I am happy that I was one of the first few to sign it. Not just signing the petition will do let's share it through all possible ways. I have posted in my FB wall. Hope that will influence at least 30-40 of my buddies. I believe this is the easiest and the least thing we can do as internet-savvy. Let's spread it.

Petition: the supreme court of india: Reconsider decision on a blanket ban on car films. | Change.org

Last edited by rajni : 5th May 2012 at 16:51.
Old 5th May 2012, 16:57   #711
Senior - BHPian

@mayankk - the only reason my car still has "then legal" film is because i know this for a fact that i wouldn't be taking my car out except for going to the office and the traffic cops in delhi aren't going to add to the traffic woes during rush hour.

Update on petition, got 2 more friends to sign it in the last hour. Can anyone tell me how much more signatures before this would make sense to any authority?
Old 5th May 2012, 17:00   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Petition: the supreme court of india: Reconsider decision on a blanket ban on car films. | Change.org

If the fool who filed a PIL could get an SC order with only 25 cases, lets give him 10000+ signatures on this.
I for a change welcome this decision, ruling.

1. The thick tinted glasses makes drivers to use high beam/ high powered lights. This creates nuisance for other drivers.

2. People use thick tint and leave small gaps for viewing the mirrors. THis reduces overall visibility and increases possibility of accidents.

I hope SC bans alterations to lights/ horns also.

The only aspect I dont like in this ruling is such short notice and no provision for education of public, police. So far, I didnt see the cops catching cars for this - here at chennai.
druva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 17:05   #713
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post

1. The thick tinted glasses makes drivers to use high beam/ high powered lights. This creates nuisance for other drivers.

2. People use thick tint and leave small gaps for viewing the mirrors. THis reduces overall visibility and increases possibility of accidents.
So because jet black films cause the above, the solution is to ban films altogether? They should be sensible and enforce the 50/70% rule if anything. Banning films altogether is nonsense.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 17:05   #714
BHPian

In Bangalore, the electronic traffic board on Bannerghatta Road (opp. Shoopers Stop) had a message saying that tints have been banned and to avoid tints.

Hope this is not a precursor to a crackdown in Bangalore.
Old 5th May 2012, 17:06   #715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva

This could be one of the better reasons for tint removal. Atleast it would decrease this headlight nuisance on Bangalore roads.

btw people Bangalore traffic police have recently put up poster on facebook regarding use of high beams. I think they maybe challaning on the spot as well. I Am not sure about the challaning part though.

And "fine69" i think we would need around 10000 signatures for the petition to gain some momentum.

Cheers!
Old 5th May 2012, 18:10   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know that the Supreme Court would even notice a billion signatures. I don't think they have to notice anything unless someone brings it to them. So I guess that what is needed is not a billion signatures, but one individual with time, money, knowledge of procedure, etc, to plead the matter before the court. Or the film manufacturers? Didn't someone post that they are taking the whole thing up with govt and or court?

EDIT... Ah, yes, here it is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Dont know if this is true but https://www.facebook.com/movementagainstsc
Quote:
Breaking News :- Garware , 3M , V Kool managers just had a meeting with Mr.Kapil Sibbal in New Delhi one hour ago . The meeting ended on a hot argument & the companies are saying their dealers & the customers not to worry . According to our sources A formal PIL petition is going to be filed against this decision on MONDAY morning in Supreme Court Of India. We will keep you updated, We are in contact with all companies & Ministry ..but until then please keep spreading & Sharing the page wherever you can .. !!
I'm not sure that the meeting "ending on a hot argument" (due to no sunfilm? ) is exactly compatible with suppliers and customers not having to worry...

I do not have a facebook account.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th May 2012 at 18:17. Reason: Searched and found Jaggu's post
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 18:13   #717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
On T, reporting from central delhi/india gate to NDLS, didnt run into any checks.

So they apparently aint doing it during rush hours for obvious reasons, and not on a holiday so far.
how did they manage 5000 challans on the first day?
Interesting question. I wouldn't be too surprised to find out the five o' were juking stats to show they were on their tippy toes in reaction to the order of the overlord supremo court of the universe. (PS: I've watched the wire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Went from dwarka to vikas puri, janak puri and back, no action regarding films today too. Let's see, how many more days, i can continue with them .

Sameer
Same story. Mainly drive to office and back, just saw one poor taxi guys tints being torn off. Other than that, traffic's flowing pretty smooth.

I'm waiting for a full bench revision of this hearing. There's loads of dealers/manufacturers/suppliers of tints and films who'd be aggrieved by this order. Hopefully they'll file a joint petition, possibly cite a couple of things regarding freedom of trade, principles of natural justice, the status quo being terribly disrupted and all that sort of thing.

Safe driving chaps
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 18:40   #718
BHPian

Major crack down at the Arjan Garh metro station road going towards Gurgaon. Almost every car was being stopped! Though I took the service lane and avoided them :P

This was about 11am today.
Old 5th May 2012, 18:44   #719
Team-BHP Support

I didn't see any cops catching people in Bangalore today. Perhaps they are awaiting the formal orders before they begin the removal drive.
P.S - shockingly, no one in Bangalore still seems to know about this rule. Why is the media not going gaga over this issue? I don't see a mention of this anywhere in any newspaper. Everyone I tell this to asks me if it is a rumour or is it real, since it is not mentioned in any form of mass media yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post

I hope SC bans alterations to lights/ horns also.
While I agree with point no.2, I disagree with point no.1. What is the relation between tinted glasses and more powerful headlights/high beam? 99% of the people don't tint the front windshield with black sunfilm, it is just the sides and the rear. So how will a more powerful headlight help to see through the side windows and rear glass, if at all that is the purpose of upgrading headlamps? I myself have black sunfilm on the sides and back, and it doesn't affect front visibility in any manner (how can it?)

Sorry for going slightly OT regarding banning of headlight upgradation - Headlight upgradation is a necessity in some cars either

1. if the OEM lamps are not sufficiently powerful for highway journeys or
2. If the route the particular car uses, might not have enough street lamps or might have too many sudden potholes/speedbreakers which need sufficient braking distance like in suburban areas. Not everyone lives in posh metros with thousands of mercury lamps illuminating every road.

Instead of outright banning, drivers must be taught how to use the high beam judiciously and avoid glaring light at the opposite side traffic! High beam usage is the main cause of concern here, not headlight upgradation.

Last edited by KarthikK : 5th May 2012 at 18:53.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 19:06   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
The last two paragraphs of the Supreme Court Judgement:

26. The manufacturer of the vehicle may manufacture the vehicles with tinted glasses which have Visual Light Transmission (VLT) of safety glasses windscreen (front and rear) as 70 per cent VLT and side glasses as 40 per cent VLT, respectively.No black film or any other material can be pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.
Thanks jalex77.

My views about the ban withstanding, hope this does induce the manufacturers/ OEMs to provide tinted glass within the prescribed limit, at least as an optional accessory. Would be expensive thant the films, i guess, but would be better than having nothing.

Long back I remember seeing curtains in many cars (during the ambassador era). Looks that doesnt come under the purview of this judgement. Curtain time now?

I wonder what would happen to the luxury/ intercity buses especially the ones which ply during the day. All those volvos and mercs...

Last edited by vinjosep : 5th May 2012 at 19:08.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed