Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 00:58   #751
BANNED

Just saw 4 cops pounce upon a car with dark tints from all sides like heynas near fort high school grounds around 9:30pm.
Then I saw cops had gathered more than 2 dozen 2 wheelers near kr puram bridge, even chasing 2 wheelers with lathis at full sprint at 11pm. Looks like a major extortion drive...
Old 6th May 2012, 01:01   #752
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Justification given by the Govt for banning sun films is to curb rapes in delhi....Hmmmmmm. Well, yesterday a rape was reported from a Ghaziabad mall's "basement". Now i want to see Govt banning "basements " and making there walls transparent to avoid these kind of crimes.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 01:31   #753
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Just saw 4 cops pounce upon a car with dark tints from all sides like heynas near fort high school grounds around 9:30pm.
Then I saw cops had gathered more than 2 dozen 2 wheelers near kr puram bridge, even chasing 2 wheelers with lathis at full sprint at 11pm. Looks like a major extortion drive...

Saw cops stopping cars registered outside Karnataka and also lot of bikers near Indiranagar and Madiwala. They were checking for "Drink & Drive". They were not specifically stopping cars with dark tints. Don't know how the situation is going to be on Monday.
Old 6th May 2012, 02:05   #754
BHPian

On my way home after dinner at about 10:30 P.M., I was stopped by the cops for drunken driving test in Koramangala.
Almost all cars were being subjected to this.
No questions asked with regard to the tints for any of the cars.

As someone has already mentioned the Bangalore Traffic Police Facebook page reads we have 15 days to comply.
Hope this is sorted out by then.
Old 6th May 2012, 02:09   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego
Today they say that ban tints due to the increasing number of rapes, and then tomorrow if still the rapes continue , what next ... Ban women?
Sorry, can't resist this, but the courts needn't step in on this front. For centuries our society has actively tried to ban women (from entering the world).

Apologies, simply couldn't resist this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
I will be using Metro/Bike in coming week, dad will use his official vehicle which don't has tints and my brother is out of station meaning all our cars are grounded for one week. I am waiting for any sort of relaxation by court - wait and watch situation for me.

(But I am sure these sellers will make huge profits now by increasing price).
Same here. Car's grounded for now. By the way, the price gouging has already started. A friend had to pay 300 to get film removed off his i10's windows. 300, for a job that should've taken 50 INR at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
Well, my rear glass just got smashed (no idea how: the car has been parked and covered off the street since Sunday night: a vandal and catapult?) so that is one expensive piece of 3M CR70 removed by, err, natural wastage.
I think it could be someone frustrated at having his expensive tints torn off his car. I can very well imagine this sort of vandalism taking place now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003
Can't understand SC judgement. How diff is manufacturer tint and film tint. If they allow earlier one then why not this one.
This is the same question I asked a few pages back.

The only explanation is that there must already be some regulation limiting manufacturers strictly to the allowed VLT limits for OEM shaded glass. However, there are no trade restrictions on films with illegal VLT. Hence the oversight which perhaps isn't an oversight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego
So thought if after 15 days anyways I have to do it then rather lets get it done now and get used to this nude feel in the next 15 days.
It's good to get it done before the crackdown if you have decided to get the films off. Please see the price gouging example above.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 02:30   #756
Senior - BHPian

So the circle goes like this:
1. Get the films installed (Rs.1000-8000) or more
2. Pay the challan (Rs.500-1000) or maybe more
3. Get the films removed (Rs.50-300)
4. Buy the other alternatives (Rs.50-500) or more
If court relaxes the norm afterwards,
1. Reinstall the films (Rs.1000-8000) or more

In the above situation, only challan can be avoided (by removing the films now) but at the risk of SC relaxing the norms afterwards. Quite a tricky situation.
I am surprised at the suggestion of banning manufacturing of sunfilms of less than 50% visibility. Sunfilms are used for home and office windows too. Even worse suggestion is use of curtains, sunfilms have more visibility than curtains and the so called crimes can be easily committed behind the curtains.

Last edited by carwatcher : 6th May 2012 at 02:47.
Old 6th May 2012, 02:35   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher
Sunfilms are used for home and office windows too.
Only until the next PIL comes along.

What's to say there isn't something in the building codes already (a la MVA Rule 100(2)) against using dark windows?

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 6th May 2012 at 02:37.
Old 6th May 2012, 02:51   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I am surprised at the suggestion of banning manufacturing of sunfilms of less than 50% visibility. Sunfilms are used for home and office windows too.
My suggestion was to ban the production of sunfilms (having VLT less than 50%) made for vehicles. What else can be done to prevent people from using such low VLT films?

Last edited by fast&furious : 6th May 2012 at 02:55.
Old 6th May 2012, 02:55   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal
Use a pencil eraser-same as the kids use in school to rub off pencil marks.
Will take some time but works.
Thanks Kamal
Will try it tomorrow for sure
Old 6th May 2012, 05:12   #760
Senior - BHPian

Update : Yesterday night 2230, near KR Puram, just before the hanging bridge.

I was stopped, for once i thought the anti film drive has started, but then the cops were only interested in checking if i was drunk and nothing else. Seeing i was with family and not looking like drunk, he let me go immediately without checking with breathe analyzer.
Old 6th May 2012, 06:26   #761
BHPian

Here is the copy of the Press Note by Bangalore Traffic Police,

Press Note:Regarding Tinted Glass

by Bangalore Traffic Police on Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 4:09pm ·

POLICE DEPARTMENT

PRESS NOTE

Date: 05-05-2012.

The Hon’ble Supreme Court of India in Writ Petition No: 265/2011 has prohibited the use of black films of any Visual Light Transmission or any other materials upon the safety glasses, wind screen (Front and Rear) and side glasses of all the vehicles throughout the country. Further, the Hon’ble Supreme Court has directed Police to ensure compliance with this direction. The direction contained in this judgment is operative and enforceable with effect from 04-05-2012.

Use of Black films upon the vehicles gives immunity to violators in committing crimes and is used as a tool of criminality, considerably increasing in criminal activities. At times, heinous crimes like dacoity, rape, murder, kidnapping and even terrorist acts are committed in or with the help of vehicles having black films pasted on side windows and on the screens of the vehicles. Use of black filmed glasses also leads to road accidents. It also prevents the traffic police from seeing the activity in the car and communicating with the driver of the vehicle.

In view of the above, vehicle owners and drivers of all the classes of vehicles are hereby requested to remove black films or any other tinted materials upon the wind screens (Front and Rear) and side glasses of their vehicles. Reasonable time of 15 days has been given to remove all these black and tinted films. After which cases will be booked against violating drivers. Penalty will be imposed and vehicles will also be liable for seizure for removal of black films.
Old 6th May 2012, 08:31   #762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Update : Yesterday night 2230, near KR Puram, just before the hanging bridge.

I was stopped, for once i thought the anti film drive has started, but then the cops were only interested in checking if i was drunk and nothing else. Seeing i was with family and not looking like drunk, he let me go immediately without checking with breathe analyzer.
Even I was stopped, but I had no tints so I knew they wanted to check for drunk and drive, seeing me with full family, they let me go, then again at Silk board junction there was massive checking but for same D&D. I think what Bangalore Traffic Police has mentioned in their FB page that they are waiting for a go ahead from transport dept, and the news of 15 days window also might be true. But as early as you remove the tint and get used to the MACRO Oven, good for you.

Edit:- Ok, just read TOI front page, its 19th May for Bangalore when the drive starts says a press release for Bangalore Police.

Last edited by asdon : 6th May 2012 at 08:35.
Old 6th May 2012, 08:36   #763
Senior - BHPian

TOI - Sunday May 06 (Front Page)

In Bangalore, police has given time till 19th May to remove all kinds of tints from cars, starting May 19th cops will book cases against errant drivers and owners of cars.

I am hoping by May 19th, some sort of Stay order will come into force.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-screen-shot-20120506-8.38.20-am.png

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 6th May 2012 at 08:39.
Old 6th May 2012, 08:57   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar
I am reading about posts about banglaore etc where people have been fined for the films.How come this epidemic not spread to Mumbai yet.I am feeling frustrated and confused as to whether to skin off the film or continue waiting for a few more days and see if there is some sort of respite.
I guess Mumbai police would be reluctant to enforce this verdict since the number of rape cases and esp those in cars in Mumbai are on minuscule scale when compared to Delhi, etc...
I have been driving around the whole city and none of the traffic hawaldars seem to be aware/interested about checking for tints. Can you imagine the traffic hold up if they start doing that on either of the express highways!
I'd advice you to refrain from getting rid of your tints.
lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 09:00   #765
Senior - BHPian

It is high time this has been done. I have never installed any sun films since the last 20 years in any car I owned. A very good initiative by the government which needs to be supported wholeheartedly.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks