Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 13:57   #781
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
So the circle goes like this:
1. Get the films installed (Rs.1000-8000) or more
1. Reinstall the films (Rs.1000-8000) or more

I am surprised at the suggestion of banning manufacturing of sunfilms of less than 50% visibility. Sunfilms are used for home and office windows too. Even worse suggestion is use of curtains, sunfilms have more visibility than curtains and the so called crimes can be easily committed behind the curtains.
It will be a big money circulation all over

Banning manufacturing may come with some alternative solution for cars film if possible. Govt want plastic bag to banned but they are not banning the manufacturer to produce the bag below permissible limit.

Using curtain is a not about the visibility its all about find an alternative to the rule And I am sure many people will opt various kind of alternative to get protected from the hot sun.
Old 6th May 2012, 14:14   #782
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Who benefits from this ruling:
The state government would benefit if the hyperactive cops decide to pass on the fines to the government rather than pocketing it.
The regular car user would see VIP's, high court judges etc driving in their state owned vehicles with jet black tints.
Muggers and lifters would have a field day with no tinted windows.
Criminals would continue their routine business with or without tints.
Old 6th May 2012, 14:36   #783
BHPian

I installed 3M tints on my car 20 days ago, dang! Am not too bothered about the side and rear films since they cost only under 6k, I invested 7k in a CR70 for the front windscreen and I do not want to rip that off, primarily because it will put a ton of scratches on the glass :( CR70 looks transparent from the outside, do you think the cops can notice film on the front windshield since its not tinted? Thoughts??

Also both the CR70 and the ones I installed on the sides and the rear are RTO approved and the 3M guys have this mentioned on the warranty card too, can I use that argument at all to buy more time? Am sure the industry will not shut their shops overnight over this judgement!
Old 6th May 2012, 14:48   #784
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't worry about your front film, it's impossible to notice there is a film. Just don't obviously mention it.
The old RTO approved limit now doesn't withstand so you won't have much of an argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
I installed 3M tints on my car 20 days ago, dang! Am not too bothered about the side and rear films since they cost only under 6k, I invested 7k in a CR70 for the front windscreen and I do not want to rip that off, primarily because it will put a ton of scratches on the glass :( CR70 looks transparent from the outside, do you think the cops can notice film on the front windshield since its not tinted? Thoughts??

Also both the CR70 and the ones I installed on the sides and the rear are RTO approved and the 3M guys have this mentioned on the warranty card too, can I use that argument at all to buy more time? Am sure the industry will not shut their shops overnight over this judgement!
Old 6th May 2012, 14:50   #785
Distinguished - BHPian

I have just parked my cars with tints. Not going to take them out for the next 15 days. Will use the two which do not have the tints. This is such a absurd ruling. Haven't any PIL been filed against the judgement?
Old 6th May 2012, 14:57   #786
BHPian

I'd grounded both my cars since Friday. However, it started getting over my nerves, especially given the less than optimal public transport in Gurgaon.

Rippped off six year old, perfectly installed, thousand odd bucks film off my Santro this morning. Used a blade to lift the corners and pulled the films off, including rear since there is no defogger on this car. There is residual glue which is making yucky sound and will need to be cleaned with an organic solvent. Pending that, it pulled out the inner lining of one of the doors when I tried to open the window. This entails a visit to the mechanic to fix the lining back.

The other car has Vk70 all around and continues to be grounded as I'm the only one driving in my family and one car is always parked. I'm hopeful of some relief over next few weeks / cops will get busy with other things rather than stopping each car and I'm sure chances of anyone figuring out a car with 70% VLT film are minimal. Can't afford to rip this one off!

Last edited by bloodred : 6th May 2012 at 14:59.
Old 6th May 2012, 15:16   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post

OT: Yesterday I took a picture of one IPS, ACP ranked officer's white amby in HSR Layout, with all black tint, thinking of sending it to press, what do you think friends?
You should post the photo on the traffic police facebook page of your state. Rules are same for every one - doesn't matter if someone is a IPS/IAS or anyone else!
bluevolt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 15:20   #788
BHPian

This is just ridiculous!

Both the wife and I have severe sun allergy problems and we try our best to not get onto the sun a whole lot. Especially in long drives, when the sun is beating on your arms for hours on end, the sun film provides quite a bit of relief.

Is there a way to challenge the Supreme court verdict / order? We need to fight this. Can we start a Facebook / online campaign? If the government cannot protect civilians due to its inept law enforcement, we can't be held to ransom with such cheap tricks.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 15:35   #789
Senior - BHPian

^^ I agree. I got sun films installed on my new safari last sunday and drove all the way to Indore from Delhi which took me close to 17 hours out of which i was exposed to sun for about 11 hours and if it was not for the sun film me and my friend would have had our hands roasted inspite of the AC being ON throughout the trip. I'm a hard core cross country traveller and i would virtually die on such non-stop trips in sun.

Imagine travelling with kids on such long trips in scorching summer sun
Old 6th May 2012, 15:36   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
This is called opportunism! Initially I had tried to reason with him on his Facebook page, that his methods of earning revenue are not right! encouraging people to complain about each other's number plates, parking etc. based of mobile phone pictures and personal judgment. But it seems he's hitting higher targets for the police force every day, its a really sad state of affairs.

Actually its the failure of the same police force (Delhi) to not be able to catch the criminals/ rapists and make an example out of these, which has got matters to this irrational point, where they are starting to ban anything! AND then earning money from the public for their own failures, how low is that? and top of that Mr. Garg has the audacity to make such statements, of giving people the message!

BTW, why the VLT rule exists? It was always for the driver inside the car to see properly, so that he drives safe. It was never meant for anyone outside to look inside! The lawmakers or copiers at that time understood that if the intension of the parties inside the car was to hide and not be visible, they'll still be able to do it by using the a commercial vehicle, or hide inside the boot or some other means.
SLK, lets try to take a look at the flip side of your POV.
If any citizen does not wish to contribute to the DTP's/Govts' earnings from challans/fines,all he hasto do is to follow the rules!
The world over,there are laws & much stricter enforcement of those laws;penalties for infringement are heavy, they are meant to hurt, for the penalties to act as a deterrent.
Mr Garg is one of the best Police Officers that we have.He penalises breaking of the law so that citizens may become more law abiding; & he spares no one,not even the 'lal batti wallas'-surely that is something to be admired instead of being condemned.
A check of the DTP FB page would reveal that overwhelmingly people are supportive of what he is doing & how he is doing it.
Re the sunfilm order; the SC has clearly directed enforcement from 4th May onwards.Mr Garg is duty bound to enforce it, esp in Delhi which is at the epicentre of this whole storm- we should understand his position,he does not possess the authority to avoid its implementation.
Yes, there is a lacuna in this order- why ban 70/50 films & allow 70/50 OEM glasses?
This needs to be immediately taken up for obtaining a review of the SC order.
Till such time, lets plz not shoot the messenger, viz, Mr S.Garg!
Regards,
Kamal.
Kamal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 15:43   #791
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, why the VLT rule exists? It was always for the driver inside the car to see properly, so that he drives safe. It was never meant for anyone outside to look inside! The lawmakers or copiers at that time understood that if the intension of the parties inside the car was to hide and not be visible, they'll still be able to do it by using the a commercial vehicle, or hide inside the boot or some other means.
I perfectly agree with this, I hope they donot bring in a new rule to have the body panles of all automobiles to be transparent and clean to ensure there is no victim inside or contraband or arms are not hidden. That would be innovative thinking!!

The learned judges have failed to pull up the police in their failure to protect the public and instead harass the public further. The police needs to explain the steps taken to ensure the city is safe, rather than chasing the hapless automobile owners. Also why did the sc not insist that the car companies now need to provide an option of tinted glass which block all rays beyond the visible spectrum ie the uv rays. Also the existing cars should have an option to replace for free such glasses for all sides, where ever such films have been put. That would have made the judgement understandable.

Also hope that they dont purchase UAV drones to identify cars with sunfilms!!

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 6th May 2012 at 15:45.
raghu.t.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 16:29   #792
Senior - BHPian

Delhi Update -
Drove from Dwarka to Vasant Vihar and back around 2 pm and i didnt find a single traffic guy looking for sun films, there were none today, might be because of sunday.
Have 3M film installed on the sides only and its 50% VLT and black in color , you can make out that the film is installed, also lowered the rear sun curtain which is provided in Linea just to avoid eyes.

And people who say their tints are not visible etc, cops in Delhi are stopping cars and checking by asking you to up the windows (if they are down to check if film is installed), my friend's Fabia lost its V kool economy series yesterday in CP - they had a barricade and were checking each and every car, he tried arguing but it was of no use, the ripped the films apart while he watched helplessly.

Will wait and watch for a few days and then leave it to destiny.
Old 6th May 2012, 16:50   #793
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
SLK, lets try to take a look at the flip side of your POV.
If any citizen does not wish to contribute to the DTP's/Govts' earnings from challans/fines,all he hasto do is to follow the rules!
The world over,there are laws & much stricter enforcement of those laws;penalties for infringement are heavy, they are meant to hurt, for the penalties to act as a deterrent.
That I do! But I DO NOT wish to have just another person on the road, who's driving with his camera phone in one hand, trying to capture my number plate, which in his opinion is not good enough or because I overtook him!. Look through the posts on DTPs facebook and you'll get enough complaints on really minor irregularities! which is something on which DTP should NOT be wasting time. [For the record, my cars comply will all rules other than the latest sunfilm]

Quote:
Mr Garg is one of the best Police Officers that we have. He penalises breaking of the law so that citizens may become more law abiding; & he spares no one,not even the 'lal batti wallas'-surely that is something to be admired instead of being condemned.
I did appreciate his initiatives initially but after following the facebook for a while (I had a separate facebook account for posting on DTP as it used to flood my normal account), I realised it was more a publicity stunt than anything else, but yeah, issuing challans without moving so much as a hand, just a few mouse clicks was also a good revenue source.

Quote:
A check of the DTP FB page would reveal that overwhelmingly people are supportive of what he is doing & how he is doing it.
Overwhelming people on the road are just plain ignorant of the road rules and laws, people on facebook are no different, if not worse.

Quote:
Re the sunfilm order; the SC has clearly directed enforcement from 4th May onwards. Mr Garg is duty bound to enforce it, esp in Delhi which is at the epicentre of this whole storm- we should understand his position,he does not possess the authority to avoid its implementation.
I understand that and it is not him to blame but the SC. But then he should do his job quietly and not try to give statement like "hope people will get the message properly". We were all legal till 4 days back, and suddenly we are violators! ... We are not in a war with him.

All other police forces understand that this will be nothing but harassment to start this drive without adequate notice, but DTP is the most compliant force? just trying to get the good boy points!

Quote:
Till such time, lets plz not shoot the messenger, viz, Mr S.Garg!
He's in a great position to do a lot about the traffic lawlessness in Delhi but has not done enough. His cops still hide behind the almost hidden or malfunctioning or poorly designed signals to challan people, the objective is not to make traffic better, just challan.

Again, I have nothing against him! But he's just being overly active in implementing a irrational order, he has to do his job but not by going out of his way, we are not the criminals. Like we complied with the 50/70 rule, we will also comply with the no film rule but hitting with an iron hammer on the first day is plain harassment.
SLK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 17:21   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Look through the posts on DTPs facebook and you'll get enough complaints on really minor irregularities! which is something on which DTP should NOT be wasting time.
Well most of the pictures posted there are related to defective number plates, no helmets and red beacons. I feel all of these are punishable. So why not put the pics on FB and challan them. Its a great initiative specially for people who feel they are special. I haven't seen a single picture being added there which does not merit a challan. And it makes us also involved in improving the whole situation. All in all its a fantastic initiative.

Quote:
I realised it was more a publicity stunt than anything else, but yeah, issuing challans without moving so much as a hand, just a few mouse clicks was also a good revenue source.
Its not like the DTP takes all that money home! If there is a violation of the law then that vehicle must be challaned. If not anything it atleast decreases the bribes people pay. And I am sure most if not all will mend there ways if regularly challaned.

Quote:
I understand that and it is not him to blame but the SC. But then he should do his job quietly and not try to give statement like "hope people will get the message properly". We were all legal till 4 days back, and suddenly we are violators! ... We are not in a war with him.
+1. The way in which police are acting is stupid. The judgement is ridiculous and I am sure most of the DTP department knows that the order will be reversed in the coming days. They should be slightly more understanding. But then on the other hand they are indeed doing there duty. And what can be better than challan for sunfilms since almost 90% of the cars have it. They could have taken it easy but then they are not wrong either in enforcing it strictly.
Also there is no reason why they need to give you time to remove the films. I mean the end result is going to be the same right in both the cases that your film gets removed, unless ofcourse you plan to default on your commitment to remove them.

Having said that I personally feel that the judge should be given retirement immediately. They have no right to make a mockery of there post and give judgements which harass the common man. The SC off late has taken a liking to delivering drastic judgements.
Old 6th May 2012, 17:52   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Having said that I personally feel that the judge should be given retirement immediately. They have no right to make a mockery of there post and give judgements which harass the common man. The SC off late has taken a liking to delivering drastic judgements.
This judgement was given by the Chief Justice. Same guy who gave the ridiculous 2G judgment and unconstitutional sacking of Chief Vigilance Commissioner (Official appointed by the president can only be fired by the President and not courts). Seems like he is too overzealous.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks