Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 11:09   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I popped into 3M yesterday. No information on any appeals or stay order. Only directive to fit CR70/CR50 film as applicable
I feel 3M has got other products and may not worry too much about this one.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:11   #857
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

i had to visit Delhi for some work on Sunday and I drove an Innova for almost 110 KMs with VLT 70 film all around and was not stopped anywhere while saw numerous car stopped on my way and people taking their tints off. May be the cops are targeting vehicle with dark tints only OR I was just plain lucky yesterday.

Last edited by infotech58 : 7th May 2012 at 11:13.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:24   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

The courts reasoning is that equipment needed for checking the transparency are too expensive.
Strange a luxmeter costs as low as $13 dollars which they are not ready to procure but they are ready to make a huge financial dent to every individual and close down a billon dollar industry providing livelihood to many.Seriously, Mera bharat mahan
Old 7th May 2012, 11:28   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Strange a luxmeter costs as low as $13 dollars which they are not ready to procure but they are ready to make a huge financial dent to every individual and close down a billon dollar industry providing livelihood to many.Seriously, Mera bharat mahan
Only wish we had an option of donating a 13$ luxmeter and retaining our sun films. Funny scene, the cop stopping someone, he handing over the luxmeter saying, "Lux, aur kya"
vinod332002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 12:34   #860
Team-BHP Support

I am hoping that the police fine those cars that sport political party stickers across their rear glass as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I popped into 3M yesterday. No information on any appeals or stay order. Only directive to fit CR70/CR50 film as applicable
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I feel 3M has got other products and may not worry too much about this one.
On the other hand our apartment snail mail boxes were full of 3M leaflets advertising sun films. Perhaps they want everyone to get a film before they get aware of the ban.
I mentioned somewhere else on the forum that I got a follow up call from 3M asking me about my decision to get sun films for my Swift. I told them I wasn't interested anymore due the blanket ban on using them.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:40   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Almost all the cars have dark tints. Here's one.

BTW, police have started their drive against tints atleast in some parts of Cochin. My friends saw them crossing the tints with a blade so that the owners will be forced to remove the tints. This was witnessed in Thoppumpady.
Wish it was possible to post the High Court Judge's car pic with visible plates,(Most of them have stickered illegal number plates even.) Could have sent it to the higher ups and also made a media bomb out of it.

I'll be armed with a camera next time I come to Cochin and will be getting these cars on camera to expose them on the web.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:54   #862
BHPian

Our beloved SC has given another feature for the manufacturers to distinguish the variants "Tinted glasses"!
Old 7th May 2012, 13:01   #863
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002

Only wish we had an option of donating a 13$ luxmeter and retaining our sun films. Funny scene, the cop stopping someone, he handing over the luxmeter saying, "Lux, aur kya"
we can all just carry one with our cars. But so far its got some metal, the cops might sell them to scrap dealers for some cash.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:22   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
Wish it was possible to post the High Court Judge's car pic with visible plates,(Most of them have stickered illegal number plates even.) Could have sent it to the higher ups and also made a media bomb out of it.

I'll be armed with a camera next time I come to Cochin and will be getting these cars on camera to expose them on the web.
I have the pic with visible number plates. And also see many govt cars with dark tints everyday. In fact this pic was posted in "Bad Drivers" thread few months ago.

Anyways, I will be taking such pics when the rule is in effect. Am sure many such cars will drive around with dark tints.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 13:30   #865
Senior - BHPian

Found the following in Autocar website -

Sun film banned from May 19 - News - Autocar India

Excerpt from the link -

The head of marketing of Garware Suncontrol Film, Amit Thanekar said, “According to all State high courts, the use of sun film with 70 percent Visual Light Transmission (VLT) for the front and rear windscreens and 50 percent for the side glasses is permitted. We are planning to appeal against the Supreme Court ruling. We might collectively take a stance against it with other industry players.”
pramodpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 13:32   #866
BHPian

Apart from the VLT value, does anyone know figures for parameters such as Total Solar Transmission, Solar Absorption, Visible Light Reflectance, Shading Coefficient, UV Rejection etc. on the Windshield, Rear and side Window glasses of stock cars? There are some value on the glasses, but I am not sure how to decode them.

Knowing this might help quantify the difference on removing sun films.

P.S - I searched a few threads on sun-filming, but could not get any data on this.

Last edited by CareFreeKid : 7th May 2012 at 13:34.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:33   #867
Senior - BHPian

going through old receipts and warranty cards today i found out that the sun film that i have on my car is the 3M™ Automotive Window Film FX-ST 35. according to the website, it has 33% VLT

3M™ Automotive Window Film FX-ST 35

and this is how it looks:
Old 7th May 2012, 13:41   #868
BHPian

Quick question: I am planning to get rid off my tints (3M) from my ANHC.
Can anyone suggest who can do the best job i.e. get it back to its "original" condition (no loss in shine and pefect finish is what I expect)
1.) Dealer
2.) 3M Guys
3.) Any local accessories shop?
Also how much it would cost me?
Please share your experiances here.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:48   #869
BHPian

Quote:
New York, NY (July 26, 2010) - A recent study from the St. Louis University Medical School revealed that nearly 53 percent of skin cancers in the US occur on the left, or drivers' side of the body. Researchers believe the increase in left-sided skin cancers may be from exposure to UV (ultraviolet) radiation while driving. With approximately 208 million licensed drivers in the US, people need to take precautions wherever they can.
Read more: Sun Safety for Drivers - SkinCancer.org
darklord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 13:55   #870
BHPian

Yesterday got rid of the tints from my Ikon for 300Rs from a local accessories shop. Saw a new Ertiga's tint getting removed. It may be a week old. Just imagine what was going through the owner's mind. He was just sitting near by and watching the guys removing the film in thoughtful mood.
In BLR, the date extended to 16th May.

My first impression with out the film is that I am driving along with a crowd

Last edited by shalini_g : 7th May 2012 at 13:59. Reason: Mis placed words
Closed Thread

Most Viewed