Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 09:41   #961
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The order says no film whatsoever,right?
A top Bangalore traffic police clarified this on radio:
Not allowed: Sun films of any VLT on any glass
Allowed: Factory tinted glass, 70% VLT on windshield & 50% VLT on sides & rear.

In Bangalore, police will start enforcing from May 20th. Fine is Rs 100 for 1st time. Subsequent fines are Rs 300 and could possibly tried for contempt of court. Only people exempt are people with Z plus security and those who have obtained permission from Union Home Ministry.

My thoughts: People fit sun films to cut glare. Preventing crime by removing sun films is joke. This won't stand for long. Only people who will benefit are sun films companies, when people start fitting sun films again.

Last edited by msdivy : 8th May 2012 at 09:46.
Old 8th May 2012, 09:50   #962
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Yep no film whatsoever , does not matter if they meet earlier laid down legal limits with regard to transparency. Have not seen anything on the roads now in terms of people getting fined , enough cars driving around in front of cops but no action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post

The order says no film whatsoever,right?
Old 8th May 2012, 09:58   #963
Senior - BHPian

182 cars were fined yesterday in the UT of Puducherry. I was not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Only people exempt are people with Z plus security and those who have obtained permission from Union Home Ministry.
What should I do to get Z plus security ?
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 10:07   #964
Senior - BHPian

How is anyone going to know if we put the 3M CR series transparent or similar films? That would look like a normal glass without any tints but the passengers can enjoy some heat rejection.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:13   #965

Any updates from Delhi/NCR region regarding the checking by cops for removal of sun films? I did not find cops at most places I traveled yesterday in my now tints-removed car.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:14   #966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
How is anyone going to know if we put the 3M CR series transparent or similar films? That would look like a normal glass without any tints but the passengers can enjoy some heat rejection.

You could note the logo of the manufacturer (like 3M) on the film and thus easily identified!

Cheers!
Old 8th May 2012, 10:18   #967
BHPian

How about going the old style. I.e. putting curtains on the windows and rear windshield.
What does the law say about that? I can always have no sunfilms on the glass...but can always put those thick curtains and carry on with any sort of illegal activity in my car. What then...doorless Cars?

Regards,
amohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 10:23   #968
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I personally think they will initially target the full black and mirror type films. Its simply just too difficult to identify the transparent films in a moving car.

Most of the cops will now be drooling at the prospect of harassing private car owners. They would care about the pollution or road violations caused by autos and trucks
Old 8th May 2012, 10:27   #969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
How about going the old style. I.e. putting curtains on the windows and rear windshield.
What does the law say about that? I can always have no sunfilms on the glass...but can always put those thick curtains and carry on with any sort of illegal activity in my car. What then...doorless Cars?

Regards,
The law does not allow sun films and all other such articles so curtains, stick-on sunscreens etc are illegal
Old 8th May 2012, 10:33   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
You could note the logo of the manufacturer (like 3M) on the film and thus easily identified!

Cheers!
You can remove the logos. This has already been discussed in the earlier part of this thread
Old 8th May 2012, 10:40   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
182 cars were fined yesterday in the UT of Puducherry. I was not one of them.

What should I do to get Z plus security ?
Drive against plastic tinted glass is not yet started in bangalore. as per the communication from police it may start from 19th may. If any sunfilm manufacturer file an appeal before it we are lucky else 10k in drain.

coming to your question of getting Z plus easy way is
Be local Goon>land grab>murder, ra... etc> real estate>start school, colleges>diversify business>black money>election
svkndv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 10:42   #972
BHPian

ACI reports

Sun film banned from May 19 - News - Autocar India
Sun film banned from May 19
May 7, 2012

The Supreme Court of India has banned the use of automotive sun-control film completely, across the country, effective from May 19. The ruling comes as a shock to the Rs 150-crore industry that could close down overnight once the ban comes into effect.

Traffic police in various cities have already started notifying car owners to remove the sun film from their vehicles. Failure to do so will attract a penalty of Rs 100 for the first offence and Rs 300 for the second, and could also include seizure of your driving licence for repeated offences.

The Supreme Court’s decision has been made to curb crimes committed using the opacity of sun film as a cover. But the advantage of sun film in this tropical nation cannot be ignored and motorists will face the brunt of this ruling.

Dealers haven’t yet received orders from manufacturers to stop selling sun film and all the dealers we have spoken to still sell it.

However, car manufacturers will continue to tint glasses, as there is no ban on this. For those confused between tinting and film – tinting is adding a tinge of colour to the glass itself during its manufacture, and this is factory fitted when you buy a new car. Sun-control film is an accessory applied to the car after its purchase. The problem with the latter is that it is difficult to tell if the sun film you are buying actually complies with opacity regulations.

The Supreme Court ruling allows the tint of the front and rear windshields with 70 percent Visual Light Transmission (VLT) and side glasses with 50 percent VLT, but without any additional material applied to the glass.

So apart from window glass tinted from the factory, no additional sun protection can be added to your car’s windows. However, if you are provided with Z or Z+ security, you may be granted exemption from this law.
Old 8th May 2012, 10:45   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
In those countries that you refer to, they dont drive with high-beam. Either following you or coming from the opposite direction.

And I dont think the people are are so impolite to be oogling at women sitting inside cars. (Or outside)

And those countries have rules that are made logically, taking all aspects into consideration, often with public input. Expert committees are involved before decisions are made.

And those countries have people who follow far more % of rules too .. Rules that are practical, and useful to the people who have to follow the rules.
please stop giving this suggestion about that no other countries oogle women, its worse than India even in the States or Europe when it comes to letching, it's just that women there do not mind or ignore. I have experienced cooling issues without a sunfilm.
Mindgrinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 11:04   #974
BHPian

If the cops start enforcing the rule soon, we can expect a boom in sales of:
  • Sunglasses
  • Sunscreen lotion
  • Rear parcel trays
Good times ahead for some people, what say??
Old 8th May 2012, 11:17   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
If the cops start enforcing the rule soon, we can expect a boom in sales of:
  • Sunglasses
  • Sunscreen lotion
  • Rear parcel trays
Good times ahead for some people, what say??

I have posted the following in my facebook profile:

If Sunfilms can facilitate rape, why dont we ban all cosmetics and shutdown all beauty parlours as they help make women pretty which may result in assault to them! :-) :-)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks