Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 21:14   #1036
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Thanks for pointing an error in my previous post. As a matter of fact the SC has banned all sun film totally. I always assumed it was 30% tint. Major error. Interestingly, even Brunei follow the same rule - absolutely no tints allowed.
As for peeping toms, I don't think that is a valid excuse to have tints. It does after all obstruct vision endangering the driver's sight. Minimum tints should be permitted.
So I have a question> My cars have RTO approved low tints. Do you think it is wise to remove them or wait and see how it goes after 19th May. A couple of my work mates have already removed theirs.

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 8th May 2012, 21:23   #1037
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I think its wise to wait till 19th and see what happens after that date.. Depends on how strictly the law is enforced. For example, i still see drivers in bangalore driving without seat belts even after it was made mandatory .
Old 8th May 2012, 21:26   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
So I have a question> My cars have RTO approved low tints. Do you think it is wise to remove them or wait and see how it goes after 19th May. A couple of my work mates have already removed theirs.

Cheers!
Rohan
I suggest to wait till 19th and beyond for a few days. I am doing the same. I am just hoping that the cops would go out for dark tints initially. Also, just hoping that some kind of reprieve will come in terms of a stay or a review.
Old 8th May 2012, 21:34   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post

Cheers!
Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey045 View Post
I think its wise to wait till 19th and see what happens after that date.. Depends on how strictly the law is enforced. For example, i still see drivers in bangalore driving without seat belts even after it was made mandatory .
@rjalihal: If the glass is OEM-tinted - its legal, else not. RTO rule has been superseded with regards to after market fitments via this ruling.

@odyssey: Its easier to spot tinted glass than erring drivers sans seat-belts. So be prepared.

Its such a paradox: owing to the inefficiency of the police, they are being rewarded!

Going by the same logic expressed by our "learned" petitioner (self-proclaimed saviour of all hapless mango-men & women), all OEMs who are selling cars with tints are abetting the goons in our country, aren't they? So can one put OEMs also in the dock?

Last edited by vinjosep : 8th May 2012 at 21:36.
Old 8th May 2012, 21:39   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Can someone give me an idea how much it will cost to file a review in Full Bench of Supreme Court? I think sunfilm companies are not going to do anything in recent times, its the mango people who will have to do it...
The fee of the lawyers practising at The Hon'ble Supreme Court Of India starts from around 1 lakh rupees. The more you spend, better the lawyer you get.

Don't worry, sunfilm companies will have to suffer crores of losses. They will file a PIL for sure as they can not shut down their bread and butter. Then there are big showrooms owned by individuals, who have invested so much, can not take any risk for loosing their business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
What makes me all the more frustrated is how the media isnt raising any questions against this sort of ban? How "thebuckstopshere" and "newshour" are going on rattling about useless deals and whatnot, and ignoring this move. For heavens sake a journalist had been found dead in her car in Delhi at night. How the hell do you think the robbers saw her in the car? Had she got sun films in her car the robbers probably would not have identified her.
Cheers!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by supratim07 View Post
It's really insane to see this ruling from SC....bare amount of protection from our SUN god being ruled out by SC judgement.Any enforcement delays or someone filed any petition against it......as i don't see sunfilms going out before 19th May.
NOBODY can and nobody shall speak against an order / judgement from the apex court. Not even the media. It is seen as CONTEMPT OF COURT which invites punishment / fine or both.

Request from fellow BHPians / MODS:
I sincerely request everybody to please respect the order of The Hon'ble Supreme Court Of India. If anybody is NOT happy or frustrated then he / she has got all the legal options open i.e. challenge this order in the full bench of The Hon'ble Supreme Court Of India. There is a famous saying: Either LEAD or FOLLOW.

This thread shall be used to discuss the ways by which we can follow this order or challenge this order.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 21:49   #1041
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
I sincerely request everybody to please respect the order of The Hon'ble Supreme Court Of India. If anybody is NOT happy or frustrated then he / she has got all the legal options open i.e. challenge this order in the full bench of The Hon'ble Supreme Court Of India. There is a famous saying: Either LEAD or FOLLOW.

This thread shall be used to discuss the ways by which we can follow this order or challenge this order.
Who told you that? Please read this Section 5 -The Contempt of Courts Act, 1971

I would have lead, if I had another source of income or if this was my source of income, till then I'll continue to give my inputs.
SLK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 21:52   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post

Cheers!
Irish
You touch upon a very important point. From what I've read, this is how contempt is viewed in India
Quote:
1. Civil Contempt
Under Section 2(b) of the Contempt of Courts Act of 1971, civil contempt has been defined as wilful disobedience to any judgment, decree, direction, order, writ or other process of a court or wilful breach of an undertaking given to a court.
2. Criminal Contempt
Under Section 2(c) of the Contempt of Courts Act of 1971, criminal contempt has been defined as the publication (whether by words, spoken or written, or by signs, or by visible representation, or otherwise) of any matter or the doing of any other act whatsoever which:
(i) Scandalises or tends to scandalise, or lowers or tends to lower the authority of, any court, or
(ii) Prejudices, or interferes or tends to interfere with the due course of any judicial proceeding, or
(iii) Interferes or tends to interfere with, or obstructs or tends to obstruct, the administration of justice in any other manner.
(a) 'High Court' means the high court for a state or a union territory and includes the court of the judicial commissioner in any union territory.
Note, that no where does it mention that we cannot disagree and discuss why we disagree with a judgement. Hence, posts here that discuss why someone is unhappy with the verdict, why (s)he has a different view to that of the court, etc are OK. However, there have been posts on this thread that show the apex court in poor light. I feel these should be reported to the mods and deleted, just so no one gets in trouble.

Also note, not complying with an order from the court is contempt. In this case, that would mean not following the order of removing sun film from the cars.

PS: I'm not a lawyer

Last edited by vinod332002 : 8th May 2012 at 21:57.
vinod332002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 21:55   #1043
BHPian

I agree we should follow the order , the only thing is there would be no UV protection and it could get really hot during summer. IMO, they should allow for some sort of light tinting.
Old 8th May 2012, 21:56   #1044
Senior - BHPian

I will not remove mine for now. Let me first see how far the implementation goes. If the enforcement of PUC certificate in TN is any indication, this order will be headed for the same fate here! Not to forget the high security number plates!

Last edited by Gansan : 8th May 2012 at 21:57.
Old 8th May 2012, 22:02   #1045
BHPian

Found a cool way to remove those sunfilms from cars if anyone's interested

Last edited by eyesice : 8th May 2012 at 22:02. Reason: Some changes in text.
eyesice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 22:16   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible to have photochromic glasses for cars just like those spectacles which turn dark in sunlight? That way the glasses could be darkened to an acceptable level but would not interfere with the visibility. Also at night they would not be darkened and would not interfere with the visibility.
Old 8th May 2012, 22:16   #1047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If the enforcement of PUC certificate in TN is any indication, this order will be headed for the same fate here! Not to forget the high security number plates!
Gansan, were those also done because of SC orders ?
Old 8th May 2012, 22:31   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Ok I don't see why all the people on this forum are crying and complaining all the time regarding the ban of the sun-films on cars.

It is not something which just came up, is it? It is an R.T.O rule since decades to not have darker films on motor cars. If today after years, this rule is strictly being enforced why are you all crying?? Its not like you did not know that your driving with extra dark tints which were illegal from day 1. So stop talking about your money going down the drain. If you had put legal tints no one would bother but it was your choice to go the illegal way.

As people are continuously cribbing that crime happens else where too but if our police is taking a small step towards preventing it, then why the noise? At the end of the day, sooner or later, it will benefit the common man only.

Correct me if I am wrong but Chandigarh does have this same rule implemented since years and is being followed there religiously. They are not cribbing and Chandigarh is comparatively safer than other cities of India.

1 thing I do want to point out is I don't foresee cops catching light tinted glasses any time soon but will definitely hunt down the darker ones

Last edited by S2!!! : 8th May 2012 at 22:35.
Old 8th May 2012, 22:42   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
1. Civil Contempt
Under Section 2(b) of the Contempt of Courts Act of 1971, civil contempt has been defined as wilful disobedience to any judgment, decree, direction, order, writ or other process of a court or wilful breach of an undertaking given to a court.
Quote:
Note, that no where does it mention that we cannot disagree and discuss why we disagree with a judgement. Hence, posts here that discuss why someone is unhappy with the verdict, why (s)he has a different view to that of the court, etc are OK. However, there have been posts on this thread that show the apex court in poor light. I feel these should be reported to the mods and deleted, just so no one gets in trouble.
There are so many posts in this thread, where you will find wilful disobedience to the order on the sunfilms. I am not going to mark each and every post in the last 50 pages.

One can disagree and discuss the way forward in a healthy manner rather than showing disrespect.

Have you ever seen a lawyer, coming out of the court and speaking against the ruling / judgement of any court, even after loosing a case? They respectfully say that they are going to appeal in the higher court as they are not satisfied. No lawyer says that the court did not look in to the facts preoperly. They can rather say that the facts were not presented by us properly so we lost.

Quote:
Also note, not complying with an order from the court is contempt. In this case, that would mean not following the order of removing sun film from the cars.
YES, there are so many posts in this thread, where fellow BHPians have openly said that they are NOT going to remove the sunfilms. They are going to wait and watch. so is this the way to follow the order?

Every one of us may have lost few thousand rupees by removing the sun films. Think about those who have lost their BREAD AND BUTTER. The losses which the retailer, wholesaler and manufacturer have to bear. The production was in full swing and every wholesaler and retailer has already got surplus stocks of sun films as their season had just started. 2 weeks back, I saw thousands of roles of sun films lying inside the shops (kashmeeri gate market, delhi) as well outside and they were absolutely vanished by this weekend. Don't know what happened to those shopkeeprs.

Nobody is above law. Being a citizen of India, we have to respect the Judiciary of India. If a law was not there yesterday so what? It is there from today onwards, so please follow it until a new rule comes into affect!

I hope that fellow BHPians will undestand my point of view. This is in the best interest of all the forum members.

Lets keep this thread for healthy discussions.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 8th May 2012 at 22:55.
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 22:46   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!!
Ok I don't see why all the people on this forum are crying and complaining all the time regarding the ban of the sun-films on cars.

.... Its not like you did not know that your driving with extra dark tints which were illegal from day 1. So stop talking about your money going down the drain. If you had put legal tints no one would bother but it was your choice to go the illegal way.
The reason most people here are "crying" is that they have installed film which was considered legal by many, RTOs included. They spent significant amount of money ensuring they got high quality sun-film according to the 50-70 rule, which provided UV protection, added strength to the glass, anti glare abilities, etc. do you really think their complaining is unwarranted?

Only a handful here have tints that flout RTO rules. After all, we all are bhpians

Last edited by vinod332002 : 8th May 2012 at 22:48.
vinod332002 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed