Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 22:53   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

The traffic cops in Delhi handling the sunfilm department are only located at specific places it seems. Both our cars Scorpio and Linea have legal films (50% on sides, no film on front and back). My father took the Scorpio from Dwarka to Lajpat nagar and back today around 2 pm and as per him there was no barricades etc on the route, there were a few police men standing around as usual but they didnt stop him for the sun films.

Maybe after another 15-20 days, the sun films removal drive will cool down, not removing the films on our cars. They are legal films and will take the risk of getting stopped and challaned than removing it myself.
Old 8th May 2012, 22:53   #1052
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

The rule is simply stupid. Assuming the rule is amended in the near future, it leads to a vicious circle. First, we remove the tints for which the company charges us (or) we get fined by the cops and then remove tints. Then, if the law is amended we flock back to get our cars tinted. Its a win-win for both the govt. and window film companies. If you wanna ban tints, then close down the companies first and then attack the aam aadmi. All the govt. knows is how to amass wealth from the people who do not commit crimes. There is no concrete statistics or proof to show that in the no. of illegal activities committed with cars, the tinted cars contribute a lot. There are so many tints which can give you a clean view of the interiors and such tints need not be banned. This is also another loophole for those corrupt cops who wish to get bribes. All in all this a STUPID idea from the SC. Expert groups should conduct studies before such a law is passed. Making highly heat resistant glasses is too expensive for automobiles and hence we use tints. Its only for heat rejection. They must set some sort of permissible limit. If the govt. wants to shut people who are furious over this decision the only way out should be to provide some sort of statistics thereby proving that crime rates have gone down after implementation of the law. I would advise everyone to refrain from removing tints and to stick to bikes, public transportation and or drive other vehicles of urs without tints as I am pretty darn sure this law will be amended.

Cheers,
K
Old 8th May 2012, 22:57   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
Only a handful here have tints that flout RTO rules. After all, we all are bhpians
Are you serious?? Does being a member on a public forum give a person the right to disobey the law?? If you broke the law, pay the penalty. Period.

As I said earlier as well, cops most probably will only crack down cars with extra dark tints and not the lighter tints, irrespective of the new rule. And that is a good thing for the good and obedient citizens (like me)
Old 8th May 2012, 23:02   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!!

Are you serious?? Does being a member on a public forum give a person the right to disobey the law?? If you broke the law, pay the penalty. Period.

As I said earlier as well, cops most probably will only crack down cars with extra dark tints and not the lighter tints, irrespective of the new rule. And that is a good thing for the good and obedient citizens (like me)
I didn't say anything about us having the liberty to break the law. I was suggesting that the vast majority of us have sun film that confirm to the 70-50 rule. Having this peeled off seems unreasonable, since this film was "approved" by the RTO.

You may be right that the cops may crack down on darker film first. But there have been instances where people with these lighter films have been challaned. So it's like a Damocles sword hanging on people like you and me and others on this forum.
Old 8th May 2012, 23:06   #1055
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
T
Have you ever seen a lawyer, coming out of the court and speaking against the ruling / judgement of any court, even after loosing a case? They respectfully say that they are going to appeal in the higher court as they are not satisfied. No lawyer says that the court did not look in to the facts preoperly. They can rather say that the facts were not presented by us properly so we lost.?

Cheers!
Irish
We can leave that professional etiquette to the lawyers judges and politicians. Here we spend hours on an Internet forum to discuss as well as express our ire in a way that comes naturally to us. Why do you want everybody sitting at a computer terminal somewhere around the globe to be like programmed and robotic zombies that behave according to somebody's idea of how they should?

I prefer being human and feel like calling the judgement the work of a senile mind, ill-thought, ill-argued, irrational and foolish in the idea that it will lower the crime rate.

Arrest me for contempt anyone?

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 8th May 2012 at 23:07.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 23:15   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7
Is it possible to have photochromic glasses for cars just like those spectacles which turn dark in sunlight? That way the glasses could be darkened to an acceptable level but would not interfere with the visibility. Also at night they would not be darkened and would not interfere with the visibility.
Ive posted something similar 2 pages earlier. But as it was pointed out by fellow bhpian "jkdas" those things are pretty expensive.
The ones for spectacles cost almost 1000 extra for such small size. Now i guess we should multiply it by 100 or 200 or more times to get the actual price depending upon the size of each window.
So yes very expensive. It would cost almost the same as the car

Btw what about filmstars and celebs? They also drive with blacked out windows. So which level of security do they belong to?do they also have to remove?
Old 8th May 2012, 23:15   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post

Arrest me for contempt anyone?

--R
Being the narcissists that judges are, someone might soon.
Old 8th May 2012, 23:24   #1058
BHPian

So far from the posts I do not see any fellow Bhp'ian being fined (which is good news). In case some one is unfortunate, please share your story on what is the take from the cops. Its not about perpetrating breaking the rules, its to know how serious they enforcement is. Right of way is also a rule, but I have never seen that implemented anywhere in India. A rule is is one thing, but enforcing it is another thing. We need to be law abiding, true, but I would like to know what is the really the enforcement and what is the rule. I do not remember now the % shade I have. If its within the legal limits then I can keep them on, else remove it. So knowing the enforcement will help me abide by what is limits.

BLR, deadline is 19th (I got this from the forum). Will keep an eye on this thread to see where the rubber really hits the road!
Old 8th May 2012, 23:26   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

I don't know from where you got this notion, but many people in Delhi got fined who were using 70% VLT films all over. The order is to remove Sunfilms dark or light does not matter, thats why people are crying, you may not feel the heat out there on Mumbai roads, but come down south, you will know our pain.

Now showing respect/disrespect to the highest court, I don't think anyone intended to show the court in poor light, but the merit of the order, after all it was passed by some honourable human being only, and only NOBODY is perfect, so there is a chance that the order may be modified in a full bench, upon a justified appeal, I am just thinking whom to appoint.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 23:28   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Gansan, were those also done because of SC orders ?
I think so. At least the number plates for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Ok I don't see why all the people on this forum are crying and complaining all the time regarding the ban of the sun-films on cars.

It is not something which just came up, is it? It is an R.T.O rule since decades to not have darker films on motor cars.
IIRC the same rules require you to signal your intention of turning right by sticking your right arm outside the window and waving, at least a 100 meters in advance! They were surely written decades before turn indicators came in to vogue!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th May 2012 at 04:52. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Plz use the Multi-quote button to reply to more than one post at a time.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 23:41   #1061
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you ever seen a lawyer, coming out of the court and speaking against the ruling / judgement of any court, even after loosing a case? They respectfully say that they are going to appeal in the higher court as they are not satisfied. No lawyer says that the court did not look in to the facts preoperly. They can rather say that the facts were not presented by us properly so we lost.
Yes! And the grounds of higher appeal on account of mis-presented facts is normally not allowed, it is only when a question of law is involved. If you didn't represent the facts properly, you may not be allowed an appeal in a higher court.

Quote:
I hope that fellow BHPians will undestand my point of view. This is in the best interest of all the forum members.

Lets keep this thread for healthy discussions.
Agreed.
Old 8th May 2012, 23:43   #1062
Senior - BHPian

On coming from Patiala to Ludhiana today I saw three barricades by punjab police and all vehicles were checked and sunfilms were removed on the spot by the cops. The rule is becoming very strict in Punjab and Chandigarh areas.
Old 8th May 2012, 23:46   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Maybe after another 15-20 days, the sun films removal drive will cool down, not removing the films on our cars. They are legal films and will take the risk of getting stopped and challaned than removing it myself.
+1

I traveled from Sector-47, GGN to Rohini and back and no one caught me. Dad also took the City from home to Vidhan Sabha/Civil lines and no one bothered him either.

Looks like the drive by Delhi/Gurgaon traffic cops has already cooled down and it will be a forgotten story within a month.

Also in no way traffic police can remove sun films from all cars in Delhi-NCR, there are lakhs of vehicles on road and I am sure they can't challan even 10% of them.

I am driving with extra 1100 rupees in my wallet (100 for Delhi and 1000 for Gurgaon), I will remove sun films from my all cars once I get a challan from traffic cops .
Old 8th May 2012, 23:53   #1064
BHPian

I got my tints ripped off and fined 100 bucks
Old 9th May 2012, 00:01   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
I got my tints ripped off and fined 100 bucks
Paras where did this happen to you in Mumbai and how much VLT films were you having on your car? Did they even remove the front film? Were the police choosy about which car to stop or were they stopping all the cars?

Since I have a daily drive from Vashi to Worli, your answers could give some pointers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks