Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 11:07   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
OT - But the next petition you all shall see filed by Mr. Avishek is to ban alcohol in the country to reduce drinking and driving accidents.
For which the court will direct it to the Govt and ask the govt to come up with its stand (remember the Gay issue?) saying its the governments decision I wonder why
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 11:16   #1112
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
4) I don't understand what he is saying here. But because a handful of crimes were committed behind tinted windows it certainly does to mean everyone in a country of 2 billion will be doing something illegal behind tinted windows.

I Agree. This is like if your head is aching, cut your neck-off.

You cannot stereo type law enforcements. I don't know why this happens on rampant in our nation. These knee jerk reactions are fine in a small organisation or offices. But for a country this large, how are you going to penalise everyone for few miscreants ? Instead they should focus more on providing basic and better facilities for women commuters so that they don't have to travel alone if need arises or opt for a 'lift' from unknown with 'tinted' glasses.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:35   #1113
BHPian

If we all agree that any kind of sun film is banned then why are the authorities, in this case the Bangalore Traffic Police, confusing citizens. What will happen is many people will turn up at these camps, change their films only to realise that it was a futile exercise because they will have to remove it on May 19th.

I am not planning to do anything till the 19th. I expect an extension while this is being debated.

Parik

What will happen if people start installing curtains in cars
Old 9th May 2012, 11:42   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I Agree. This is like if your head is aching, cut your neck-off.
If the crimes carried out behind tinted glasses in certain region are becoming a pattern, they could have enforced the ban only in that region (on a trial basis). Why make the entire country have the impact? How about bringing a law to make all the buildings transparent so that crime doesn't take place inside buildings?
Old 9th May 2012, 11:46   #1115
BHPian

A nightmare!

The Bangalore police's version is adding to the confusion. Such local interpretations of the law are a nightmare for folks who travel to other states. For example, if TN, KL, AP have stricter laws about tints then we can't venture across the state border with sun films of any sort.

For god's sake why can't the govt/SC/whoever understand the chaos this is creating among the public and come with with one version for the entire country?

My suggestion would be to remove the sun films if you are sure they don't comply with the 50-70 VLT limits of Rule 100 of CMV, but do not install new films till things are clear. And please don't ask your friendly sun-film dealer for advice. Most will suggest you can install a 50-70 VLT film.

Last edited by CBlazer : 9th May 2012 at 11:52.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:48   #1116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Can someone give me an idea how much it will cost to file a review in Full Bench of Supreme Court? I think sunfilm companies are not going to do anything in recent times, its the mango people who will have to do it...
I believe it is time we took it up ourselves asdon.

****ARE THERE ANY ADVOCATES ON TBHP WILLING TO SUPPORT THIS CAUSE AND FILE A PETITION IN THE SUPREME COURT CHALLENGING THIS ORDER?****

Request the mods to lead us to the right people on the forum.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 11:49   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore traffic police has just announced that they have opened camps for removing sun films free of cost starting tomorrow.

There are about 10 camps in various parts of Bangalore(example, Near Indira nagar BDA comples, Kanteerava stadium etc)

Checkout BTP FB page for more details
Old 9th May 2012, 11:51   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parik_ind View Post
If we all agree that any kind of sun film is banned then why are the authorities, in this case the Bangalore Traffic Police, confusing citizens. What will happen is many people will turn up at these camps, change their films only to realise that it was a futile exercise because they will have to remove it on May 19th.

I am not planning to do anything till the 19th. I expect an extension while this is being debated.

Parik

What will happen if people start installing curtains in cars
+1 to this, even I am planning to not do anything till 19th. Anyways in my car the sides & rear are CS-35 so the inside of the car is visible easily.

What i understood from the TOI article today was that Front & rear 70% vlt while sides should be 50% VLT, so its not a total ban on films. I guess better to go for CR series that offer higher heat rejections without being too dark.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:55   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If the crimes carried out behind tinted glasses in certain region are becoming a pattern, they could have enforced the ban only in that region (on a trial basis). Why make the entire country have the impact? How about bringing a law to make all the buildings transparent so that crime doesn't take place inside buildings?

Right'O Guna, Hope you read my whole post and not quoting me on just one line. I have exactly meant the same thing what you have written above.

BTW your suggestions for making buildings transparent was hilarious

Cheers!

Last edited by TaurusAl : 9th May 2012 at 11:56. Reason: Typo
Old 9th May 2012, 11:55   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
So if I have a "natural" tint by not cleaning my car windows, will I get fined ? :P
What an idea Sirjee. I'm planning to pet a few pigeons and train them at precise aiming and shooting. I can have a new tint everyday! And when the cop stops me I could just tell him "you have been condored"

I am now forced to use my 8 years old city in spite of owning a brand new Jetta. The risk is just too high with VKool premiums (approved) being installed in the Jetta.
Old 9th May 2012, 11:56   #1121
BHPian

I am wondering if like an emission certificate you can also be given a visibility certificate. You can have 70 - 50 legally, but how will you prove it to a road side cop who stops you at night? Its not like a manual sniff and find out like they do for alcohol testing. That will prevent harassment. Its similar to fitness certificate for commercial vehicles or load certificates. I know its like going back to the license raj, certificate for everything days, but its reality. I would rather prefer to get my current combination certified and drive in peace than be pulled over and harassed, I am sure they can not have these high tech, optimeters at all joints!
Old 9th May 2012, 12:01   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I got it removed By 3M HSR Layout guys, I had given my car for a package treatment, so the film removal was free.

Edit - They removed it in 10 minutes, if your film is from 3M,they there are no fear of glue sticking on glasses.
Do they remove only 3M films or will they remove it even if it is Garware OEM for Hyundai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Rebut by petitioner ... Must read
My Rebut on this:

There are some serious flaws mentioned in his petition or answer. I have tried to list some of them. Can someone please get this to the notice of honorable court to show what a epic disaster they have created?

1. He is saying that it is ok to have colored glasses, but not colored films even if it confirms to the norm. His petition was based on the premise that it is dangerous to have color films, as police cannot make out what is happening in the car. So, how is it possible for people to make out what is happening in the car with colored glasses and not colored films which confirm to the norms of visibility?

2. I believe you are misunderstanding privacy here. We are not talking about the privacy factor which the young people in love desire, but the privacy on a whole. So, if the passengers in the car want to have some food, now it is possible to have it inside the car, with no one noticing it unless or until they really stare in. With no sun film, u will have people staring at what you eat. If you are travelling wearing jewellery, earlier it was not obvious, now a look and it is visible.

3. So u mean to say, I stop a car for some time to go to a shop or office for half an hour and you want me to carry music system with me? If i forget it, it is ok to lose it? And What is it about preventing the thief from opening car out of curiosity? You want us to help them making sure everything is out in open and save them the trouble of opening a car out of curiosity and not finding anything?

4. You mention ” Measures are adopted keeping universal norm and not exceptions”. Can you please mention where is it universal norm to that all the activities like rape, molestation, kidnapping happens in cars with sunfilms? Wouldn’t these fall into the category of exception?

5. "Car decor shops will earn profit by putting in colored glasses instead of black films" - Again having colored glasses is ok right? And u believe that the criminals are like us, middle class people, to not have money to go for colored glasses and carry on the afore mentioned activities of yours? This also brings doubt in me whether the petitioner is in lobby with some of these car decor shops or sun film manufacturers to get a cut in their profit.

6. "tomorrow if shops selling adulterated milk are shut will we protest ?? If these shops would not have mushroomed and sold illegal films in threatening proportions - the need of invoking a ban on black films, would not have arised" - Most idiotic premise i have sir, I am sorry to say this. To take into the same example you are giving, what you are doing is akin to telling that since some shops are selling adulterated milk, it should be made illegal to sell milk. The crack down has to be on these illegal films and not on the car owners having sun films within legal limits.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post. Use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Also avoid quoting an entire lengthy post since it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Read the rules of our forum here before submitting any more posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th May 2012 at 16:01. Reason: posts merged
Old 9th May 2012, 12:09   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
The Bangalore police's version is adding to the confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think allowing the 70% VLT films is a good move by the Bangalore City Police.
No where BTP have said they allow 70% VLT films. All they have said is 'free removal of sunfilms' & 'replacement with tinted glass'. The way I see is you have replace windshield, side window glasses & rear window glass with tinted glass.

I read the petition & the court verdict. Its is littered with plenty of assumptions & jargons. In both the documents, sun films are called as 'black films' giving the assumption of 0% VLT. Reason why 70% VLT 'sun films' are not allowed is Police across the country don't have the lux meter to check VLT. So the best way forward suggested is to fit 'tinted' glass from factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So if I have a "natural" tint by not cleaning my car windows, will I get fined ? :P
Alternatively, is it possible to tint existing glass? If that is possible, since police don't have lux meter people can 'tint' to whatever VLT they want.

Last edited by msdivy : 9th May 2012 at 12:11.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:13   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by svkndv

RESPECTED SIRS,

*****BLACK FILM BAN - CLARIFICATIONS (PLEASE SHARE TO EDUCATE OTHERS) !!
1)) BLACK FILMS CONTRIBUTE TO COOLING OF VEHICLES - but firstly only those who use air conditioning, do pull up the glasses & air conditioning provides cooling any ways & further if cooling was an issue, then only silver & white cars would have sold, since they not only absorb the least heat and also increase night visibility of vehicles, hence making them least prone to accidents !! Further black films on glasses have been banned, but coloured glasses complying to (70%) front & (50%) side visibility are allowed.
2)) PRIVACY IS HAMPERED - privacy is about private places like homes & hotels, but not public places like roads.
3)) LAP TOPS & STEREO SYSTEMS ARE VISIBLE - both are portable devices & either can be carried at ease, to home or office or hidden beneath the car seats. It will also prevent the thief from opening the car out of curiosity as happens in case of heavy tinted glasses.
4)) WOMEN ARE UNSAFE WHILE DRIVING AT NIGHT - safety in public places is hampered because of factors which prevent public glare & not because of factors which ensure transparency. Only when there is absence of public glare - mobile phone conversation//drinking//immoral activity//movement of criminals//movement of illegal material//rape//molestation//k
idnapping - is facilitated. Any illegal activity happening in presence of transparency, is an exception hence not universally followed.
Measures are adopted keeping the universal norms in mind & not exceptions. Just because (1) person survived a free fall from a high rise, others too do not make a bee line.
5)) CAR DECOR SHOPS WILL FACE DROP IN PROFITS - business will flow from selling coloured glasses instead of black films ... tomorrow if shops selling adulterated milk are shut will we protest ?? If these shops would not have mushroomed and sold illegal films in threatening proportions - the need of invoking a ban on black films, would not have arised.

Your’s Faithfully,
Avishek Goenka
(Petitioner).

1. Silver and white colors are the highest selling color in this region. Darker colors are in lesser figures. Darker colors do heat up faster! Sunfilms help the A/C cool the far faster as it reduces the amount of light (IR & UV and about 50% of visible light) into the cabin, thereby reducing the rate at which the car interior warms up. The A/C would thus cool the car faster than the interior heating up.

2. If this is the case we should not even use cars, as these are privately owned but travel in buses, trains or aircrafts instead. If you are inside your car (the car belongs to you), therefore, the interiors are your private place and privacy should be respected in everyway!

3. Laptops / handhelds may definitely carried away in most circumstances. However, Car Stereo (in this generation called "In-Car-Entertainment") is installed in the dashboard of the vehicle. So are the amplifiers, DSPs, speakers, subwoofers - assuming the petitioner is aware of such products... LOL! We are not using our hometheater system or home music system or our grandpa's old gramaphone in our cars!!!

4. A lady driving a car in an isolated stretch of road or traffic junction would be easily seen through clear vehicle windows by criminals. They would study the daily pattern and plan something malicious/vicious!

5. None of the car dealers / accessory shopes sell "adultered sunfilms" or illegal films. A car manufacturer installs plain windshields, rear windshields and window glass for sides. The tint is due to the manufacturing process. Its upto the user/buyer to install the tints by means of sunfilms. No car manufacturer can add/remove customized glass to vehicles as these are assembled in mass production. We've come a long way from the Ambassador / Premier era where one car is manufactured per month! None of the car dealers/accessory shops sell colored glass - above all we dont use "colored glass" in out vehicles but windshields, which are specially manufactured glass of automotive grade!

I guess the petitioner is probably from the Ambassador/premier/landmaster era when such technologies never existed. He must have been sleeping like Rip Van Winkle and now woke up and got confused to the present world technological advancement! LOL!
Old 9th May 2012, 12:24   #1125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Originally Posted by svkndv

RESPECTED SIRS,

*****BLACK FILM BAN - CLARIFICATIONS (PLEASE SHARE TO EDUCATE OTHERS) !!
1)) BLACK FILMS CONTRIBUTE TO COOLING OF VEHICLES -
2)) PRIVACY IS HAMPERED - privacy is about private places like homes & hotels, but not public places like roads.
3)) LAP TOPS & STEREO SYSTEMS ARE VISIBLE -
4)) WOMEN ARE UNSAFE WHILE DRIVING AT NIGHT -
5)) CAR DECOR SHOPS WILL FACE DROP IN PROFITS

Your’s Faithfully,
Avishek Goenka
(Petitioner).

------snip-------------
LOL!

I think this guy is a businessman who has hedged his bets and invested his life's savings, and that of everyone he knows, or a few loansharks, into setting up a business selling:
1. Tinted glasses
3.Used laptop/stereo store( wink wink as to the SCM)
4.security guards
5.again, tinted glasses.

As to "2." above, he could also be asha parekh.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks