Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 14:46   #1231
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Finally I got sun film removed from my Indica. Went to Glamour Car Accessories Koramanagala and they charged me 250 for that. I went to them since I am having defogger and don’t want to damage it while removing the film. They took hardly 30 mins to remove and clean the glass.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:59   #1232
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guna, If I was you, I won't sue ToI. Because I don't believe anything they say.
I think there is confusion because of the words "tint" and "sunfilm". It will be clear if you read tint = factory fitted and sunfilm = after market. So for factory fitted glasses 70/50 % VLT is valid (that is tints of 70/50 valid). But for after market "sun films" nothing is valid, not even 100% (weird logic though).

I don't think TOI is wrong in clarifying this.

Read this for more clarity Sun film banned from May 19 - News - Autocar India

Most of the cars come with tinted glasses which have upto 98% UV rejection (Fabia had it and I am sure others have it too). They are not good with the infra red rays though (read heat rays)

Last edited by fi.robin : 10th May 2012 at 15:05.
Old 10th May 2012, 15:03   #1233
BHPian

I went to Bangalore Indira Nagar RTO to check on the "Tint removing camp"organised by BTP.
There were about 25-30 vehicles and BTP had hired a small team to remove the films from the cars.

It's actually not free, when I asked a car owner (Maruti 800) while their film was being removed is charged Rs.150 by the helper.

Lots of remains of the films strewn around the place and saw a cop telling the helper to clean it after he finishes the job, not sure whether they will do that.

clicked some pictures on my phone camera, facing some problem with the SD card and images are not to be seen in
looks like the drive will be intensive after the deadline of 19th May
keyank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 15:25   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

The drive against Sunfilms has started in Mumbai also? But there is no announcement by RTO on this?

I believe RTO Mumbai will issue a press statement before begining drive against (now) illegal Sunfilms.

Also for update, I drove from Malad West to Andheri East today morning & there was absolutely no checking whatsoever.

Thanks,
Yeah, wanted to stop my car & check for myself but the problem is i have 50% 3M on the sides & rear, so worried to even slow my car at the junction.
Old 10th May 2012, 16:06   #1235
BHPian

I think that the Bangalore Police has been the most considerate wrt this Supreme Court regulation.

While the regulation came into effect on 4th May, the BTP agreed to give time until 19th May to all Bangaloreans.

Not only that, they have organized camps to get these tints removed.

Considering the fact that this has to be done anyways, this is a really welcome move from BTP, whilst most other Police depts are busy stopping cars in the middle of the road and harassing the common people. This has been indeed handled in a very organized way by BTP. Kudos to them!

This shows that the cops are more interested in helping the people than filling up Govt coffers. A very rare sight indeed.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 16:13   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

a quick question. Attached are pics of my Punto. I am driving to Nasik - Pune & Mumbai on saturday morning for a week. You guys think the tints on my car would create problems? My dealer / accessory shop person says its legal. Its been over 14 months since i got them on, so i dont even remember the exact specifications for the same. I still have one day on hand, so if you guys suggest this is troublesome, i would get rid of them or move to a lighter film. Driving in Ahmedabad without film in summers is next to impossible.

Thanks.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-1.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-2.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-7.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-8.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-10.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-12.jpg
Old 10th May 2012, 16:21   #1237
BANNED

@aqualeo2040 there is only one way to be safe. Remove the film. The court order is pretty unequivocal, and any other interpretation leaves you at the mercy of the law enforcers. I have not used film in my cars since 1989 and am none the worse for it.
Old 10th May 2012, 16:24   #1238
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

a quick question. Attached are pics of my Punto. I am driving to Nasik - Pune & Mumbai on saturday morning for a week. You guys think the tints on my car would create problems? My dealer / accessory shop person says its legal. Its been over 14 months since i got them on, so i dont even remember the exact specifications for the same. I still have one day on hand, so if you guys suggest this is troublesome, i would get rid of them or move to a lighter film. Driving in Ahmedabad without film in summers is next to impossible.

It's illegal. No film is allowed, whatever the transparency. Lighter tints might not get you noticed but you'll still be in the wrong side of the law. Count on your luck and the mood of the policemen.

And I bet, you knew it in your heart.

We are all in the same boat. I've 70/50. Haven't removed them and using Metro hoping the film manufacturers will challenge the ruling and the decision might be reversed. Wishful thinking...!
Old 10th May 2012, 16:24   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

Thanks.
These tinks look too dark to be RTO approved. I'm guessing these are 20% VLT.

RTO approved is 50% VLT for sides and 70% VLT for back.

I don't know about the police checking in your area. I would suggest to remove at least the tints from the rear windsheild for the time being.

Rohan
Old 10th May 2012, 16:28   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@aqualeo2040 there is only one way to be safe. Remove the film. The court order is pretty unequivocal, and any other interpretation leaves you at the mercy of the law enforcers. I have not used film in my cars since 1989 and am none the worse for it.
Sir, I think you meant h@r$h@l

I have blocked a slot with Sidhu (3M HSR Layout) to get the films removed from both my rides.

Moreover, all GPs come with 70% VLT for the windows and 75% VLT for the windscreen. Have not checked the rear one (I believe its less than 70% ).

So, the tints are coming off. The only think I am currently worried about are those blind bats driving at night with high beam.
Will check with Sidhu if there's any option for just anti glare films. VLT not impacted and no visible marks either.
On that note, the anti glare coating that we get on our Essilors, can we not get the same treatment done to our windows & windscreen?
Old 10th May 2012, 16:38   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@aqualeo2040 there is only one way to be safe. Remove the film.
Thanks a lot for your tip sir. I will do the needful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
It's illegal.

And I bet, you knew it in your heart.
Honestly, when i got this ON, i too felt its not legal and a few tbhpians told me the same. But then i got comfortable with it due to the bad heat here and never bothered to change / remove it. But with this Supreme Court Ban and travelling to Nasik, Pune & BBY and that too with dad, who is always against the sun films dont want any trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I don't know about the police checking in your area. I would suggest to remove at least the tints from the rear windsheild for the time being.

Rohan
Thanks Rohan. In GJ they dont bother much. Only when they see dark films, they stop and check car at nights, but never have been asked to get rid of it.

Regards,
Old 10th May 2012, 17:09   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
I think there is confusion because of the words "tint" and "sunfilm". It will be clear if you read tint = factory fitted and sunfilm = after market. So for factory fitted glasses 70/50 % VLT is valid (that is tints of 70/50 valid). But for after market "sun films" nothing is valid, not even 100% (weird logic though).

I don't think TOI is wrong in clarifying this.

Read this for more clarity Sun film banned from May 19 - News - Autocar India

Most of the cars come with tinted glasses which have upto 98% UV rejection (Fabia had it and I am sure others have it too). They are not good with the infra red rays though (read heat rays)
If the intention was to curb crime and accidents due to the low visibility, how does it matter whether it is factory fitted tint or film is something I cant understand. Somewhere I read that certain type of curtains are allowed, which even more puzling.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 17:17   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Sir, I think you meant h@r$h@l

I have blocked a slot with Sidhu (3M HSR Layout) to get the films removed from both my rides.

Moreover, all GPs come with 70% VLT for the windows and 75% VLT for the windscreen. Have not checked the rear one (I believe its less than 70% ).

So, the tints are coming off. The only think I am currently worried about are those blind bats driving at night with high beam.
Will check with Sidhu if there's any option for just anti glare films. VLT not impacted and no visible marks either.
On that note, the anti glare coating that we get on our Essilors, can we not get the same treatment done to our windows & windscreen?
Can you share his phone no? I have been trying the one listed in justdial (9686669486) but I am not able to get through...Any idea how much are they charging for it

Last edited by askicode : 10th May 2012 at 17:18.
Old 10th May 2012, 17:19   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Any links or newspaper articles with the exact wording of the Order?

If the ban does come into effect (god forbid), maybe some newspaper can do a before-after comparison of the crime stats after a month or so and show nothing has changed. That should open their geriatric eyes. I mean, how foolish can people get? Maybe they can ban private transportation completely so none of this would happen anyway.

And anyway, if only VIPs get dark tints, the terrorists wouldn't have much trouble spotting them from really far away.

And maybe some newspaper/mag could compile stats on how the possibility of skin-cancer and what-not (in people who travel in cars) would become lesser if everyone started using tints in their cars.

Is it possible to get a tint-certificate for medical reasons? You know, like if your Doc says you have hyper-sensitive skin? ;P

Now I'm rambling...
HA!HA!

That is a good one but pl ensure your doctor is known to you else you are in bigger trouble. for getting a tinted certificate.

How does banning tints reduce crime next step you know Supreme court will have som moron filing a PIL for banning usage of Sunglasses too.

List of item Supreme court will ban probably
Sunglasses,no covered parking (dark areas are abetting crime), do not lock car doors,rolling up of windows. To top it all they will advise car manufacturers to remove glasses in the window.

We must send the person responsible to Nigeria to help abate crime.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 10th May 2012, 17:27   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post

List of item Supreme court will ban probably
Sunglasses,no covered parking (dark areas are abetting crime), do not lock car doors,rolling up of windows. To top it all they will advise car manufacturers to remove glasses in the window.

We must send the person responsible to Nigeria to help abate crime.

Cheers
Prasad
+1 lets ban the car and get back to bullock cart. No confusion of sun film or tinted glass, everyone will be aam aadmi, nothing will happen or say everything happen in open - public place and visible to everyone.

I think this must be the first PIL which is going against the Public. Is there a way we can send this link to Supreme court and let the bench read this.

Last edited by aditya@pune : 10th May 2012 at 17:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks