Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 02:12   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
So I guess we
1) Wait till someone puts in a counter PIL to get the law corrected.
--------
--------
Though there is a chance that this may not go away anytime soon, there is also the possibility that some new PIL will reverse this and all who remove their tints in a hurry will just be so very ...

It is a tough call to take.

Am sure the manufacturers of sun films will themselves try to get this rule changed soon.
The total ban on all types of Sunfilms is just temporary for sure, the rule will definitely be relaxed to lighter sunfilms within permissible limits after some time.

Its just a sheer waste of resources getting the lighter films removed. Already lots of peeled off films are lying littered around, they will surely clog all the drains this monsoon.

It makes good business sense for the sun film manufacturers to wait till all owners get their sun films removed, then jointly file a strong PIL and get it relaxed to permissible limits.
They will have a jolly good business selling lighter tints for all the new and old cars.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 14th May 2012 at 02:15.
Old 14th May 2012, 06:55   #1472
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Did some more research on this whole fiasco and here is what I found:

Standard laminated safety glass, as used in automobiles is 6.38 mm thick

Anyone here seen / have a 3mm thick windshield?

Rajan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You said 6.38, my off-the cuff approximation comes to 6.35, so the conversion seems sound. Is it that thick? I don't think so. Could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
The car window/ windscreen glasses are clearly almost half that width, so 3-3.5mm should be a safe assumption for that.

It's the middle of the night, else I'd have just measured it.
The car Windshield is made of laminated safety glass, which typically is 6.38 mm. I think this might just be the front windshield. Visual inspection of my car shows the rear windshield and the side windows are about 3 mm thick. Couldn't figure out a way of measuring the front windshield, though

Please click on "Standard" and "Windshield", underlined above to see the source.

Thanks,

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 14th May 2012 at 06:57.
Old 14th May 2012, 07:36   #1473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Visual inspection of my car shows the rear windshield and the side windows are about 3 mm thick.
Side glass is easier to measure, and will be more than 3 mm thick. Please re-check

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
It is very strange that nobody is filing PIL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
1) Wait till someone puts in a counter PIL to get the law corrected.

Am sure the manufacturers of sun films will themselves try to get this rule changed soon.
Apparently, Garware has filed the petition. But- SC is on vacation till end June :(

I suggest we keep the cynicism aside for now. All the arguments that sun-film companies initiated this and they are the ones who will make the profit. We didnt make any noise about extra dark film till now. Some of us even used it ( I know, even I did. Though it was put 6 yrs back by the dealer without me specifying the shade).

The core of our ranting would be that the judgement looks short sighted and does not take into consideration of the heat rejecting properties of such film. If we are allowed to have a balance, I think we should be happy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
and getting SC to pronounce strict penalties on vehicles plying without tail lamps, ORVMs/folded/broken, oversized load/overloading, and umpteen other rules of the road. I wish they laid more emphasis on road safety than banning these stuff in the name of "national security".
Absolutely ! But problem is that the films are more visible, and hence easier to act up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Front windshield I'm not sure but the sides are usually around 3mm.
3mm is tooo thin. 3 mm will be as wide as the "3" you see here.

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th May 2012 at 12:50. Reason: back to back posts
Old 14th May 2012, 08:17   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
My mom read the news on the sunfilm removal and ordered me to remove them on my car. I started cribbing as to how hot it would be to drive without sunfilm and AC would not be effective. Pat comes her reply "Shut up and stop cribbing, it's been banned in Kolkata for a long time and none of our cars in Kolkata have it where heat is much worse. You don't see them complain do you. Just remove them by next week!"
I don't want to sound insolent at all but "it's been banned in Kolkata for a long time", since when? It's totally news to me .

Actually given the excessive heat and humidity out here, a car without an effective A/C and films can make you feel pretty sick during peak summer. In fact the RTO guys charge a bit extra if you have films on your car as I experienced when we were paying road tax for an age old M800. And some cars out here have such dark and shiny tints that they can put shimmering burqas to shame . To my knowledge there is no blanket ban but the CMVR guidelines apply here too and even that is hardly adhered to.

EDIT: Since the SC order, exactly 4 sq cms. of newspaper coverage has been given to the news for only 2 days. After which fingers crossed, its business as usual in our city here.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 14th May 2012 at 08:31.
Old 14th May 2012, 08:23   #1475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
To my knowledge there is no blanket ban but the CMVR guidelines apply here too and even that is hardly adhered to.
Unfortuntely it is a blanket ban on having sun films on cars, covering all across India.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th May 2012 at 08:24.
Old 14th May 2012, 08:41   #1476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't want to sound insolent at all but "it's been banned in Kolkata for a long time", since when? It's totally news to me .
It's not really been banned in Kolkata for long. But all our cars in Kolkata have never had sunfilm. None of my relatives have it on their cars.

Moreover I've seen a lot of cars in Kolkata without films whereas in Bangalore you will be hard pressed to find a car without tints.
Old 14th May 2012, 09:36   #1477
BHPian

Hi folks,
So I tried one of the sun film removal centers organised by the Bangalore Traffic Police yesterday. Needless to say, all they were doing was removing sun film with retractable cutter blades. My friend and I took matters into our own hands, and decided to do it ourselves using a patti blade. I succeeded in removing the films just fine, without damaging the defogger film at the back.

BUT, and this is where I'll go slightly OTT, I have a lot of adhesive stuck on the windows and tried removing it using soap water and acetone. No avail. Any thoughts on what I could use to remove the adhesive stuck on the glasses. I can't even roll the windows up and down thanks to that!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Mod: Sorry, if this is going OTT. Please remove or merge into another thread as required.
Old 14th May 2012, 09:50   #1478

Had removed Sun Film on my i20 last weekend as my wife travels to Gurgaon for work. Didn't want her to pay Rs. 1000 fine. But finally had to remove the sun film on my new Fluidic Verna as well, which I had got installed just 1 month back. Was not driving it since last 1 week, but seeing the way traffic police in Delhi is going about this order, it did not seem like they would slow down, especially with courts on leave now. With 25,000 chalans till last Friday/Sat., Delhi is surely miles ahead in this race.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:00   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Unfortuntely it is a blanket ban on having sun films on cars, covering all across India.

Cheers!
Yes I know. I was referring to the pre-SC judgement days.

Quote:
It's not really been banned in Kolkata for long. But all our cars in Kolkata have never had sunfilm. None of my relatives have it on their cars.

Moreover I've seen a lot of cars in Kolkata without films whereas in Bangalore you will be hard pressed to find a car without tints.
Yup that is perhaps true. The number of car users are probably lesser here also but believe me the heat and humidity during peak summers definitely need the protection of films. I thought Bangalore had more pleasant weather than our city so the need of tints might have been lesser, interesting.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:10   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
I have a lot of adhesive stuck on the windows and tried removing it using soap water and acetone. No avail. Any thoughts on what I could use to remove the adhesive stuck on the glasses. I can't even roll the windows up and down thanks to that!
I guess the only way is to use a razor blade and scrape the adhesive out. Here are a few useful tips:
This method may not be of much help. You already removed the film.
This could be very useful too.
This has very useful tips as well.

Try vinegar, but please stay away from Acetone. It can damage the plastics in your car.

Hope that helps

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 14th May 2012 at 10:23.
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 10:19   #1481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
How can this be done? I am not sure of online petitions are accepted by the SC. If you need to be there in person, well then only Delhi and NCR guys can possibly do it. That the issue with the SC being where it is. Is the bench that passed the request in recess? Not sure how it how SC works. But then its too late to wait, 20th the deadline in BLR.
Online part may be to just show the proof to show some numbers i guess, am also not sure how it works.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:30   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
It did happen sometime during 2001-02, that's a good decade or so ago. As much as i recall the drive was pretty intense as well, and as is the case now, the cops were ripping off sun-films on sight. However, back then my ride was a white amby with flag poles fitted and a single central fog lamp covered in a leather wrap fitted on the grill aping a beacon. So I managed to escape the brunt of the raid on sun-films even while admittedly having pitch black tints. Was held up only once during the 3-4 months the drive was active near Howrah station but just a grim stare from a half rolled down rear window was enough to discourage the constable.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:37   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday had a chat with a sunfilm applicator and it seems the sunfilm companies such as 3M, Vkool, Gareware are seriously considering this blanket ban and going the legal way afterall it effects their business. So they are all waiting to see if there can be a stay order on the same. But someone here mentioned that the bench is in recess till end of June, in that case I guess the traffic cops will have a free hand in fining a lot of folks with even proper VLT films that allows you to see inside the car. With Bangalore temperatures soaring every year, its going to be hard time cooling the car while on road, plus excessive fuel usage as the a/c will be on everyime you go out. I am in two minds, whether to wait or remove
Old 14th May 2012, 11:11   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Just now I noticed my Punto comes with 70% VLT side glasses as OE (from the manufacturer).

I have 35% VLT VKool tints on this. Now suppose I remove my "illegal" VKool tints, my side glasses still are illegal as Supreme Court allows only 75% VLT on the sides.

So what do I do? Drive without glasses?
Old 14th May 2012, 11:12   #1485
BHPian

DIY - Tint removed from my car

So, I finally removed the tints from my car last Saturday. The local car accessories shop was charging Rs. 250, only it was 200 last week. Driving down to the centres organised by the police would cost additional fuel & if I had to pay them 150 as per some threads, then I thought I might as well go to the accessories shop & pay them about 200 rs.

Then I decided a DIY atleast to the side windows (inspired by fellow team-bhpians) & if the back proved to be difficult, then would take it the professionals. The sunfilm was put by Trident Hyundai in 2008, not sure of the brand, but it was of a very light shade (pretty sure it allowed 50% visibility).

Started with the driver side window, applied just water on the entire film to soak it up & then with a retractable knife, pried the edge of the film & pulled it neatly. Thankfully there was no residual glue on the glass. The film came out in 3 pieces. Repeated the same process to the remaining 3 windows, & the results were the same.
Finally, went to work on the rear windshield, the film was applied in 3 pieces. Did the same thing, was careful not to touch the defogger elements & luckily all the pieces came out easily.

Spent on the whole about 45 minutes & saved 250 rs, not bad. My brother too worked on his Santro in the same manner & he too did not face any difficulties.

Travelled on Sunday in the hot sun with the AC on, my arms definitely are sun burnt. Travelling in the night too was a wierd experience, a lot of glare from vehicles behind & the feeling of driving a convertible minus the wind. Will have to get used to this
SantoshPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks