Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 12:05   #196
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
but many other not so good/illegal incidents can occur inside a car.
Like what?

Quote:
I just wish to know why you oppose this rule soo much! Ya I'm very surprised to see this kinda response.
I don't oppose the rule of 50%, but I think this is a sorry excuse to curb crime. So crimes happen in houses too, does that mean everyone should have glass front doors so outsiders can see in and help in case of a crime?

Quote:
In New York the VLT should be 70%.
There are other places in the US where cops don't bother you for 20% tints.
Old 29th April 2012, 12:23   #197
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints totally banned by HC in Delhi!Update: SC asks to stick to permissible l

Not opposing the rule but I think the first thing should be to enforce this on yellow board vehicles like Tempo Travellers, Sumos and indicas. See how it goes and then enforce on private cars.

This type of blanket rule will lead to one thing only. Private car owners will be fined and milked by the cops whereas the actual offending vehicles will be running with dark tints scot free thanks to the big travel agencies having connection with the cops and drivers of cabs will be as arrogant as noone can touch them.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 12:58   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Like what?
Activities like prostitution, kidnapping, attack on civilians, carriage of illegal goods (even drugs) etc etc

Vehicles with tinted glass involve in crime in Manipur | PaoDom.Net
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234
I don't oppose the rule of 50%, but I think this is a sorry excuse to curb crime. So crimes happen in houses too, does that mean everyone should have glass front doors so outsiders can see in and help in case of a crime?
How can you compare a moving vehicle on the road and a house? Road is a public place. House is not.
Quote:
There are other places in the US where cops don't bother you for 20% tints.
The 70% law is still there and they are not complaining.
I just wanted to mention that this is not the first time a rule like this has been established. If people in New York can adjust, so can people in Delhi.
Old 29th April 2012, 13:15   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Activities like prostitution, kidnapping, attack on civilians, carriage of illegal goods (even drugs) etc etc
Do you honestly believe only having tints is making these people do these crimes? The people who are doing this will continue to do so, the police needs to beef up their checking. At a check post every car should be stopped, and then whether tinted windows or not the cops can have a look at the car.

Quote:
How can you compare a moving vehicle on the road and a house? Road is a public place. House is not.
The road is a public place, but is your vehicle? I don't think so.
Old 29th April 2012, 13:33   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Like what?

There are other places in the US where cops don't bother you for 20% tints
Sadly cops seem to think everything is their property once you are on the road. a traffic cop stopped me for not having worn my seatbelt in the middle of the road. Ok accepted I was at fault. But then i had to talk sense to him that is should park the car on the left side instead of inconveniencing other cars who almost nearly banged into my vehicle. one mistake of yours and the cops are ready to pounce on you. I hope they pounce on rapists and other criminals also instead of turning a blind eye to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
Not opposing the rule but I think the first thing should be to enforce this on yellow board vehicles like Tempo Travellers, Sumos and indicas. See how it goes and then enforce on private cars.

This type of blanket rule will lead to one thing only. Private car owners will be fined and milked by the cops whereas the actual offending vehicles will be running with dark tints scot free thanks to the big travel agencies having connection with the cops and drivers of cabs will be as arrogant as noone can touch them.
:clap very rightly said sir. And private car owners are actually atms for them. As they know they cant extract cash from cabbies as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious

Vehicles with tinted glass involve in crime in Manipur | PaoDom.Net

The 70% law is still there and they are not complaining.
I just wanted to mention that this is not the first time a rule like this has been established. If people in New York can adjust, so can people in Delhi.
Btw even police vehicles also have tinted windows which have no "transparency" whatsoever.

The only proper way to enforce this rule in India is to disallow tinting of any sort(which is ridiculous) so that there is no grey area between the black and white of the judgement cause it is with the help of these grey areas that such rulings become a harassment for the ordinary citizen.

The bypass to this law can be the use of curtains for the same illegal purposes. There is no restriction on those right?!

And if a criminal is carrying illegal goods or drugs i think they would be doing that in the boot of the car rather than keep it open to the public eye in the passenger compartment of the car.
Anyways one has to experience first hand this sort of harassment to know what its like to shell out money and self respect just because of some silly tints.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 29th April 2012 at 13:41.
Old 29th April 2012, 15:21   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Do you honestly believe only having tints is making these people do these crimes?
It will definitely serve as a deterrent.
Quote:
As long as my vehicle is in a public place, I have certain responsibilities.

And I would like to mention one very important point here. This is an 'obey once and forget about it' kinda rule. Once you put 50% films on your car, you will never have to worry about that rule again. And because of this rule, all new car owners will (or should) use only 50% films. So no worries for them either. It's very different from other rules which the cops might use to milk the civilians.

Dear Parthasarathi,
It seems that you have had some bad experiences with cops. I can tell you I have had even worse. I have expressed my concerns in some other threads. But if there's a rule that the cops can't misuse, it's this one .
Old 29th April 2012, 15:27   #202
Senior - BHPian

And this says nothing about curtains and other sort of blinds. Seen plenty of those on cars here.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 15:44   #203
BHPian

Ya that is definitely a concern. But I found something interesting here.
Some excerpts:
Quote:
"Alarming rise in heinous crime like kidnapping, sexual assault on women and dacoity have impinged upon the right to life and right to live in safe environment which are within the contours of Article 21 of the Constitution,"

"the home secretary, director general/ commissioner of police of the respective states and the Centre shall ensure compliance with this direction. The directions contained in this judgement shall become operative and enforceable with effect from May 4"

“no black film or any other material can be pasted on windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.”
So doesn't it mean that curtains cant be used? But you don't paste it, you fix it using screws na? But the intention is very clear I guess. They don't want to allow any materials that hinder visibility.

The petitioner requested for 100% VLT in vehicles! ie. a complete ban on tinted glasses. Read this.

Last edited by fast&furious : 29th April 2012 at 15:58.
Old 29th April 2012, 18:22   #204
BHPian

Isn't removing the tints on the rear windscreen going to damage the defogger? Anyone knows how to take care of that while getting This done?
Old 29th April 2012, 19:00   #205
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Hi,

How does the current Supreme Court ruling affect fixing sun film? In some papers they mentioned the orders were not to instal any sun films while the others mentioned a through view percentage below which it becomes illegal.

Rgds
Old 29th April 2012, 21:33   #206
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Hi,

How does the current Supreme Court ruling affect fixing sun film? In some papers they mentioned the orders were not to instal any sun films while the others mentioned a through view percentage below which it becomes illegal.

Rgds
according to the supreme court ruling, the film on front windscreen should be the one with 70% or more visibility and all others should have 50% or more visibility.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 22:13   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan1981 View Post
Isn't removing the tints on the rear windscreen going to damage the defogger? Anyone knows how to take care of that while getting This done?
Check out this DIY. I think it is very much doable.

Last edited by fast&furious : 29th April 2012 at 22:15.
Old 29th April 2012, 23:07   #208
BHPian

Quote:

Check out this DIY. I think it is very much doable.
Thank you so much fast and furious, appreciate the link. Just wanted to check if the professional tint vendors like vkool etc also do this or is that not recommended?
Old 29th April 2012, 23:44   #209
BHPian

They should be able to do it. Maybe not using the method mentioned in the DIY (read somewhere that they do it here using heat guns). It is not a very complicated process (though it can be time consuming). You live in a metro city buddy. With the new law in place, dealers will expect more customers for re-tinting. Just go to some authorised sunfilm dealer/car accessory shop and tell them that you wish to retint. Best of luck. Many of these cars nowadays come with rear defogger but people seldom retint their cars. So maybe you should remind them about the presence of the defogger there and tell them not to use any sharp tools. By the way, for cars with rear defogger tinting is sometimes done from the outside. If it is so in your case, you need not worry at all I guess.

Last edited by fast&furious : 30th April 2012 at 00:06.
Old 30th April 2012, 00:12   #210
BHPian

Quote:
By the way, for cars with rear defogger tinting is sometimes done from the outside. If it is so in your case, you need not worry at all I guess.
thanks bud, actually I just got my car around 15 days back with vkool pre-fitted. Not sure how it's done(inside or out) will need to check. I've done the RTO approved ones but not sure about the rear one so need to double check

You are very helpful, thanks again and drive safe
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks