Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:00   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Does someone have the exact SC judgement text? These idiots at the TOI are fearmongering and mis-reporting as usual
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:01   #227
BHPian

re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

The Hon'ble Supreme Court of India has ordered to REMOVE Sunfilms (any percentage) from all the vehicles across India.

Here is the news in today's TOI:

Quote:

NEW DELHI: Peel off the tinted film on your car windows by Friday as the Supreme Court has banned black films of any percentage of tint.

Only car windows that have been tinted by the manufacturers are allowed; besides this, all vehicles with any percentage of tinted film have to remove it, even if it is within permissible limits - 70% transparency in the front and rear windows and 50% transparency on side windows.

The apex court's judgment said, "We prohibit the use of black films of any visual light transmission (VLT) percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country."

Traffic police will launch a massive drive to remove films Friday onwards, when the SC order comes into effect. If the film is not removed, the car may even be impounded.

The Supreme Court judgment said, "The directions contained in this judgment shall become operative and enforceable with effect from 4th May, 2012." The court has ruled that traffic police "shall also remove the black films from the offending vehicles."
Source: From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal - The Times of India

Here is the snapshot of Facebook page of Delhi Traffic Police (Satyendra Garg, JCP, Delhi Traffic Police):

Name:  DelhiTraffic.png
Views: 2065
Size:  49.1 KB

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 2nd May 2012 at 11:07.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:13   #228
BHPian

I just bought a new car last month and spend thousands on putting on a good quality sun film with proper certificates etc. All the effort and money is now wasted!!
This new law is plain stupid. next they will say bikers should not wear full face helmets, as most recent terror bombing used bikes or scooters!!!
However, what irks me most is the implementation date from Friday!! Are we supposed to take a Cl from office just to get our sunfilms removed? Why couldn't this implementation take place from a Monday so that we could atleast have the weekend to get this done!!
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:15   #229
BHPian

Re: Sun Film

Its sounds very very stupid to implement such a rule where no films are allowed.
I mean how many cars in the not so premium bracket come with factory tinted glasses, I am not aware about anyone.

And are they trying to say the earlier rule of 50/70 was absurd in the first place.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:22   #230
Team-BHP Support

So the Motor Vehicles Act as per film law stands nullified?
I guess soon manufacturers will give option of 50% side 70% rear tinted glasses in their high end models.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:27   #231
BHPian

Do we have a lawyer in the forum? If the above post is to be taken seriously, then lot of us will be on the receiving end, really need to know the actual law, and if the ruling can be challanged as as larger group?
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:31   #232
Senior - BHPian

I hope no one asks and the police will keep mum on this issue in Bengaluru Does the MV act mention the film and VLT percentages? How can it be nullified without actually changing the law itself?
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:34   #233
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I think there is some confusion on this. Couple of days back Times of India mentioned that Sun Films are allowed within permissible limits. But today's article in TIme of India mentions to remove the Sun Films from the Cars all to gather.

Before jumping to any conclusions we need to wait for Official Statements from respective RTO offices.

Also, the Times Of India article that we read today morning (about removing Sun Films from Cars), is now surprisingly missing from Times of India homepage (www.timesofindia.com).

I feel the Supreme Court rulling is for Black Sun Films with zero or mininal transperancy. Further I believe Sun Films within permissible limits will definitely be allowed.

Thanks,
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:36   #234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Do we have a lawyer in the forum? If the above post is to be taken seriously, then lot of us will be on the receiving end, really need to know the actual law, and if the ruling can be challanged as as larger group?
I will suggest an addition to the PIL - ban all film / tint and ALSO curtains in the cars of all officials, including Ministers, Babus and Judges! They (pun intended) are a public menace!!
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:40   #235
BHPian

Many of us spend extra for properly certified films, abiding the law of the country. Will the administration now compensate us?
Tughlaq-esque changing of laws make adopting illegal means justified! It would have been better to go for uncertified films that would have been much cheaper!!
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:41   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
However, what irks me most is the implementation date from Friday!! Are we supposed to take a Cl from office just to get our sunfilms removed? Why couldn't this implementation take place from a Monday so that we could atleast have the weekend to get this done!!
I don't think that Hon'ble Supreme Court of India will keep a weekend in mind while giving such judgements / orders. An order is an order and we, the indians are bound to follow and the police is bound to implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So the Motor Vehicles Act as per film law stands nullified?
I guess soon manufacturers will give option of 50% side 70% rear tinted glasses in their high end models.
The MV Act talks about the visibility of the windows and I don't think that it gives the details on Sunfilms. As per this order, the apex court has banned all the sun films of any visibility. However, the apex court has allowed the tints which are provided by the manufacturer in their vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

I think there is some confusion on this. Couple of days back Times of India mentioned that Sun Films are allowed within permissible limits. But today's article in TIme of India mentions to remove the Sun Films from the Cars all to gather.

Also, the Times Of India article that we read today morning (about removing Sun Films from Cars), is now surprisingly missing from Times of India homepage (www.timesofindia.com).

Thanks,

Here is the TOI link:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/12956949.cms

This link has been pasted on a post at previous page:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2763933

People who have spent thousands (may be around 20,000) on getting a sunfilm on their car, will have to suffer as they have to remove those sunfilms. But now I wonder, what will happen to the dealers who have invested millions in their showrooms? What will happen to the staff working at such showrooms?

As we all know about our government departments, I think people in other cities need not panic as Delhi/NCR car owners will be the first one to witness this implementation. Our police is not so active that they will start checking the tints in all the cities on Friday morning.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 2nd May 2012 at 11:54. Reason: added link
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:43   #237
BHPian

Even I got 50/70 3Ms fixed last month on my new Swift from the Dealership itself. Can I escape showing the Maruti Sunfilm Bill stating that its fixed by the manufacturer(Maruti).

Now the SC should go a step further, banning the use of wider tyres in vehicles reason being it helps criminals to zip away safely after crime.
beast_within is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:47   #238
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking on the lines that who is going to implement this order? Supreme court has previously banned smoking on public places. Has this been implemented? Madras Highcourt has ruled that wearing helmet is mandatory for both driver and pillion rider on two wheelers. Nothing has changed till now.

My take is that Cops may initially use this ruling to fine or receive bribes from the car owners. But, over the course of time, everyone will forget the ruling. This is what is happening in India for the past 65 years .
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:48   #239
BHPian

The sheer impracticality of the order shows how distant the law makers are from the life of the common man on the street.
Those passing the orders do not have to worry about their car expenses or fuel bill as it is all paid by the Government.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:49   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Even I got 50/70 3Ms fixed last month on my new Swift from the Dealership itself. Can I escape showing the Maruti Sunfilm Bill stating that its fixed by the manufacturer(Maruti).
Well, your dealer is not manufacturer but he is dealer only. Manufacturer means if something comes from plant itself as standard fitments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Now the SC should go a step further, banning the use of wider tyres in vehicles reason being it helps criminals to zip away safely after crime.
This is bit illogical and immature comment in public forum. I think, no one is authorized and allowed to comment on Apex Court Orders like this and it is deemed as illegal and contempt of court.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks