Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:31   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
according to the supreme court ruling, the film on front windscreen should be the one with 70% or more visibility and all others should have 50% or more visibility.
Unfortunately, this is not what the court says, infotech58. It says that the manufacturers if they wish may manufacture the car with tinted glasses with minimum 70% VLT in the front and 50% on the sides, and adding any other film of any VLT on the original glasses is banned, w e f May 4, 2012.

The original text copy of the judgement is here: http://courtnic.nic.in/supremecourt/...c%2026511p.txt

read the last para specifically.
"For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black
films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the
safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of
all vehicles throughout the country. The Home Secretary,
Director General/Commissioner of Police of the respective
States/Centre shall ensure compliance with this direction.
The directions contained in this judgment shall become
operative and enforceable with effect from 4 th May, 2012"
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:40   #272
Senior - BHPian

So do we have to remove the existing sunfilms? Is this what all the bhpians going to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Interesting! The sun-film installers may soon will have to make a living by adapting themselves to become professional sun-film removers.
If the law stays on, very soon we may have manufacturers advertising factory fitted tints as a feature – better tints for higher variants.

Edit: Majority of the references are from TOI. Is it that other publications have not clearly indicated the rules around this?

That's probably why this law is passed, so that the big guys can make money pushing away small players. Very few people buy accessories from the car dealers but go for aftermarket. The aftermarket industry is affecting the dealers' accessory business - this should just be a start.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd May 2012 at 15:20. Reason: Pls use EDIT button if posting within 30 minutes of each other. Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:48   #273
BANNED

re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Let us look at the positive side of it. Now hen you book your car you can also choose the tint and opacity, at a price of course!
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:50   #274
Senior - BHPian

re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

When the MV act laid down the VLT for the glass, how can it be banned whatever be the mode through which it was achieved? Doesn't something require a change in the law or the rules by a elected body rather than through judicial means?
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:51   #275
BHPian

Re: Sun Film

I have decided to wait it out for some time before I retint. Currently my car has VLT70 on windscreen, VLT20 on windows and VLT 50 on rear windscreen (with defogger).

I really dont want to change it and in the sunlight the driver and passenger are visible from about 2 - 3 feet away.

IMHO wait and watch will be the right strategy. I dont think companies like Garware, 3M, Llumar, Global will take things lying down considering their investments in this.

Last edited by torquecurve : 2nd May 2012 at 14:53.
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:52   #276
Senior - BHPian

The law phrase only mentions black tints, what if we'd installed grey or silver (mirror-like) tints? I'm sure this is not considered and people can still get away.
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:56   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Let us look at the positive side of it. Now hen you book your car you can also choose the tint and opacity, at a price of course!
Hello SGIITK,

Yes there is positive side to it, but only for new Car buyers.

But, what about others who have chosed RTO approved Sun Films (Sun films with 50% VLT)? Ideally they should have restricted use of very dark Sun Films which block visibility. But plainly banning all the Sun Films does not seem to be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
When the MV act laid down the VLT for the glass, how can it be banned whatever be the mode through which it was achieved? Doesn't something require a change in the law or the rules by a elected body rather than through judicial means?
Yes. After the Supreme Court Judgement, respective RTO's will have to ammend the rules, which will be done in due course. Regional RTO's will do the changes immediately as this judgement means addditional revenue for them & also not implementing the judgement will amount to contempt of Court.

Thanks,
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:57   #278
BHPian

I'm sure I might be repeating this, but since this story is developing each day, answers might have changed from past few days, so I have three things to ask:

1. The ruling has that word 'black' tint in it. So in my opinion impact should be on black tints only. And that leads to what happens to other tints that are within permissible limits? I have VKOOL V70 on my windscreen and A60s everywhere else, which were in limit as per Rule 100 Section 2 of Central Motor Vehicles Act. To a novice it would look like there's no sun film at all - that's the level of tint. But a Supreme Court order is an order. The only glitch is, I am not aware of how much were the glasses tinted on the stock vehicle? Any ideas?

2. If factory manufactured tinted glasses are permissible for 70% and 50% VLT on windscreen and sides respectively, these should be made applicable for new cars. Replacing glasses on existing cars isn't cheap, and forget the money part, even a thought about such a replacement sounds weird. I am sure the ruling interpretation is incorrect. Also this means if tint by manufacturers is allowed, why not permit legal SunFilms? The Honorable Supreme Court is wise enough to have given due consideration to this.

3. Is there anywhere in Pune where the actual VLT on my car can be tested?

Just hope that I am not to have these removed. Shelled out 17k for this, and it really helps curb the glare at night, apart for UV, IR etc. Its such a support when driving long distances in dark conditions. My father's car doesn't have the tints, since this order was enforced many years back in Delhi-NCR. So I very well know the huge difference between tints(legal ones ) and stock vehicle tints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The law phrase only mentions black tints, what if we'd installed grey or silver (mirror-like) tints? I'm sure this is not considered and people can still get away.
Although I'll be the most happy if one can get away with non-black tints. But no one gets away from the Delhi Traffic Police - minnnnddd it!!

Last edited by CareFreeKid : 2nd May 2012 at 15:00.
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:08   #279
BHPian

Don't stress too much guys, just keep pretend the rule doesn't exist for 2 weeks. After that, it should have lost all its thunder.
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:10   #280
Senior - BHPian

Just checked with Nandi Toyota, hosur road. They seem not to be much aware of this, neither have they got any notification from the RTO on this.
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:11   #281
BHPian

Got my Sunfilm removed from the Side windows. I was told the rear windshield is ok, since removing the film from there will spoil the rear defogger. Is this ok? if not is there a safe way of removing the same from the rear window?
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:13   #282
BHPian

Also another judgement was passed regarding High Security Number Plates becoming compulsory for cars in India. But I think this was only for Delhi and NCR region.

So in Bangalore has anyone got their tints removed? Can anyone suggest me a shop where this is being done and the charges for the same?
Also where does one get this HSNP fitted? There had been a thread on this earlier but the government has now allotted the rights to Rosemerte instead of Utsav. Any news about the same?
Thanks.
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:14   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeKid View Post
I'm sure I might be repeating this, but since this story is developing each day, answers might have changed from past few days, so I have three things to ask:

1. The ruling has that word 'black' tint in it. So in my opinion impact should be on black tints only. And that leads to what happens to other tints that are within permissible limits? I have VKOOL V70 on my windscreen and A60s everywhere else, which were in limit as per Rule 100 Section 2 of Central Motor Vehicles Act. To a novice it would look like there's no sun film at all - that's the level of tint. But a Supreme Court order is an order. The only glitch is, I am not aware of how much were the glasses tinted on the stock vehicle? Any ideas?
Please read the last 3 pages and you will get all your replies. There is the copy of the judgement also and you can go through it.

BTW the factory manufactured tints are clearly marked on the bottom right or bottom left side of the respective window or windscreen. It may vary across all the car makers. For example, the 2012 Punto comes with 70% visibility on all sides + Rear windscreen except for the front windscreen which has 75% visibility. And this is clearly marked on all the windows and windscreens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeKid View Post
2. If factory manufactured tinted glasses are permissible for 70% and 50% VLT on windscreen and sides respectively, these should be made applicable for new cars. Replacing glasses on existing cars isn't cheap, and forget the money part, even a thought about such a replacement sounds weird. I am sure the ruling interpretation is incorrect. Also this means if tint by manufacturers is allowed, why not permit legal SunFilms? The Honorable Supreme Court is wise enough to have given due consideration to this.
Please check the judgement on previous pages and you will get your answer.

Quote:
Just checked with Nandi Toyota, hosur road. They seem not to be much aware of this, neither have they got any notification from the RTO on this.
Forget about car dealers, you can even check with your local police. I am sure most of them will be unaware of this ruling and they are supposed to implement this order from Friday (4th May) morning onwards.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:19   #284
BHPian

guys the point 23 clearly states that nothing can be applied on top of the safety glass -

"...that use of black films or any other material upon...."

I do not understand the confusion over this point, earlier it was visibility (70% front and back windscreen and 50% on windows), now its a blanket ban on any sort of film on any of the glasses,

Even for government vehicles, it is only allowed for people who have Z and Z+ security, that too after the approval of the police chief.
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:49   #285
BHPian

There was a similar drive just after Rajiv Gandhi was assasinated. Cars having dark tints were stopped on the road and fined and the tints removed - at least in South India. We had to remove the tint from our car then. Took us a day and it was an ugly job. I'm not sure if the law was changed then but the reason given was the same. Like someone stated earlier, this too will die a natural death sometime into the future.
SafeDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed