Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:02   #286
BHPian

re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Does the process of removing sun film leave behing ugly gum patches on the glasses?
I was just having a discussion with one my friends who had to replace his film, and it left smudges on the glass!!
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:07   #287
Senior - BHPian

re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Got my Sunfilm removed from the Side windows. I was told the rear windshield is ok, since removing the film from there will spoil the rear defogger. Is this ok? if not is there a safe way of removing the same from the rear window?
Hello Nurni,

You already got the Sunfilm removed? Were they Black color or of very dark shade?

The judgement will be enforced from 4th May, i.e. Friday & we still have two days for getting final updates from respective RTO's.

Have others also initiated the process of removing Sunfilms? I would suggest to wait for atleast tomorrow to get a clear picture & update from local Traffic Police.

I feel 4th May is too early date to implement the proposed ban & it will not be possible for all the Car owners to remove Sunfilms.

Thanks,
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:11   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Nurni,

The judgement will be enforced from 4th May, i.e. Friday & we still have two days for getting final updates from respective RTO's.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the role of RTO in implementing this order? It should be either the government or the police.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:14   #289
MCR
BHPian

Here we go! What a land of cofusion we live in. There is no notification in Bangalore about the same, nor do most of the people know about it nor is the news being aired in the local media. I am not going to get the sun film removed. I expect a proper communication before doing anything like that, just like the way it was done while enforcing the seat belt rule.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:17   #290
BHPian

I said in one of my previous posts that I wont comment on this topic anymore. But I have something interesting to share with the community.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-tint1.jpg

Source: The Indian Express

If that is correct, we shouldn't be blaming the court. They just read out the existing law. So the rule itself might need to be altered to permit the use of sunfilms.
I'm also of the opinion that sunfilm shouldn't be banned completely.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:21   #291
Senior - BHPian

Is the government stupid!

I wonder what about the folks who have spent 15-20K on getting "legal" sunfilms on their car.

Shouldn't the government be refunding the money back these people After all it was them who said its legal in he first place!

Looks like this will just increase the money making tactics of the cops!!!

I am not removing the films from my car just yet. They are anyways of a very light shade.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:24   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
If that is correct, we shouldn't be blaming the court. They just read out the existing law.
I don't see how you got that interpretation. It just mentions the level of visibility, doesn't specify how you achieve it.

@praful: You're talking about a govt. that has retroactively amended a law dating back to 1962, just because they lost a case. Want your refund! They can change the law, date it back to 1900, before Model T, and fine you for using sun film all these days.

Last edited by 2cents : 2nd May 2012 at 16:29.
2cents is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:33   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post

@praful: You're talking about a govt. that has retroactively amended a law dating back to 1962, just because they lost a case. Want your refund! They can change the law, date it back to 1900, before Model T, and fine you for using sun film all these days.
I think you did not get the intended sarcasm in the "refund" comment!

I think the its clearly said that "no" sun films, legal limits or not! Only tints from car manufacturer's allowed now.

Or have I interpreted the 'new' law wrongly?
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:34   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the role of RTO in implementing this order? It should be either the government or the police.

Cheers!
Irish
Hello Irish,

It will be the local Traffic Police who will be implementing this Judgement & other Motor vehicle Rules. The offenders will be fined / vehicles impounded by Traffic Police & not by general police.

Thus it will be the Regional Traffic Office who will come out with a circular mentioning the implementation of this latest Supreme Court Judgement & it (RTO) will also have to educate its staff to do the needful.

The RTO's will also have to train the staff on how to recognise factory manufactured tinted glass & glass with after-market Sunfilm.

Thanks,
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:41   #295
BHPian

So, tinted glasses provided by the manufacturers are acceptable, but any aftermarket sunfilm, even within the same legally permissible VLT limit, has the potential to breed crime!
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:44   #296
BHPian

well this is bad news, when will we get the confirmation for sure that tints will not be allowed anymore? summer has just got crazy & now this news..
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:49   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful
Or have I interpreted the 'new' law wrongly?
I think you nailed it. If you read the judgement, then that is what it says.
They are interpreting the rules and provide clarity. Tints at the stage of manufacturing are allowed. Beyond that - nada.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:51   #298
BHPian

Look at other aspects as well. When they say in many cases crime against women offenders use tinted cars. But why don't they think, in normal day to day life, with 50% clarity how many women get saved. My wife/sister too doesn't want to drive with clear glasses, heat is other part.
sam003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:55   #299
Senior - BHPian

There was a recent incident in Delhi with one of our fellow bhpians which involved targetting a driver as she was driving alone. If we remove sunfilms what protection do we have from the prying eyes on roads? And this is before I start talking about the comfort we expect from using a car.
What about mileage, wont that be affected if sunfilms are removed, thus requiring more usage of aircons?
Now we should also expect higher prices for tints from manufacturers due ot monopoly? We are literally headed to hell in a handcart.
/end rant

I will wait and watch as to how this thing is implemented. Not removing any films till anything is being implemented effectively. By the time the wheels roll on this, summer will hopefully be over.
There are more important issues to focus on in terms of road safety than wondering if the film is installed by the manufacturer or not.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:58   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Irish,

It will be the local Traffic Police who will be implementing this Judgement & other Motor vehicle Rules. The offenders will be fined / vehicles impounded by Traffic Police & not by general police.

Thus it will be the Regional Traffic Office who will come out with a circular mentioning the implementation of this latest Supreme Court Judgement & it (RTO) will also have to educate its staff to do the needful.

The RTO's will also have to train the staff on how to recognise factory manufactured tinted glass & glass with after-market Sunfilm.

Thanks,

I understand that the local Traffic Police will be implementing this order. Also there is nothing like general police, they are the crime branch of the Police. Both the departments (Crime as well as Traffic) is governed by the Commissioner of Police or Director General of Police in UT or State respectively.

The RTO stands for the Regional Transport Office and not the Regional Traffic Office. It is a part of STA (State Transport Authority). The main responsibilities (w.r.t. Private vehicles) of RTOs are to register vehicles and issue driving licenses. The RTO do not control the local traffic police and hence do not provide training to any traffic police personnel on any new rule / order. There is a training department within Police itself.

Please check the following links:

Regional Transport Office - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome To TransportIndia.in

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 2nd May 2012 at 17:00.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed