Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:52   #316
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
But why don't they think, in normal day to day life, with 50% clarity how many women get saved.
Correct, for a lot of people including me the sun film is for personal safety because of the increasing mugging incidents especially in Bangalore on outer ring road and sometimes in broad daylight.

Next they will want houses without walls and people without clothes (threat of suicide bombers), because the Indian Police Service is so corrupt and inefficient.

Let them allow import of guns and give gun licenses for restricted bore (>0.32mm) for general public who do not have any crime history.

I want a Glock as insurance!
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:58   #317
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
This reminds me on an incident in Saudi Arabia where a group of gentlemen molested a girl and this was shot on a camera phone and the 'live' feed done to other friends via 3G. The country immediately banned the sale of mobile phones with cameras!

So its just not here in India.
why u calling them gentlemen, they are losers..
Berj79 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:03   #318
BHPian

Supreme Court is the highest authority. Accepted, and no challenging that.

But, will some concrete action be taken against those who commit crimes such as rape, which is the core reason being cited for enforcing this law? We all are aware of what happens of rape victims, especially with the media sensationalizing it, and what, of those who commit it. The petitioner might have won this ruling in his favor, and it might actually help, but only this . fraction. Have death penalty as the punishment for rapists, and then see the results, in my humblest opinion.

By the way, how many times have we read reports of bikers in black/reflective visor helmets in chain snatching, robberies and many other crimes? Why aren't they covered in under this law? Oh right, those are minor crimes, and we as Indians would adjust and accommodate. The courts understand that

Hapless, is the word coming to my mind.

CFK

Last edited by CareFreeKid : 2nd May 2012 at 19:12.
CareFreeKid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:06   #319
Senior - BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
It says that the manufacturers if they wish may manufacture the car with tinted glasses with minimum 70% VLT in the front and 50% on the sides, and adding any other film of any VLT on the original glasses is banned
Oh! Doesn't this mean that the sun-film industry is going to take a huge hit?

And what about existing films on cars? Do they have to be peeled off? Or do we have to wait for individual state government's take on this?
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:11   #320
Senior - BHPian

I just finished putting film on my car yesterday (being holiday). Will be waste of money it seems from the decision. I insisted on RTO approval, but that also may not help.

Usual way of thinking - with all due respect to the Supreme Court - for the crimes committed by a few bad guys and poor governance (inability of police having luxo meters), punish all the good guys. Also they do not appear to have considered the public opinion. Benefits of film like health (preventing UV/IR), FE, comfort, etc. and that our country is mostly a hot tropical country, seem to have been overlooked.

I am not at all advocating going beyond VLT, but this ban in effect means even after market VLT tinted glasses cannot be permitted, since no change in manufacturer glass is allowed.

Sun film industry is dead at one stroke.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 2nd May 2012 at 19:22.
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:15   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
I just finished putting film on my car yesterday (being holiday). Will be waste of money it seems from the decision.
This is a non practical ruling. I guess the ruling was passed without scientific backing. I don't think even normal glass will have 100% vlt!
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:18   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
And what about existing films on cars? Do they have to be peeled off? ?
Seems like yes, they may have to be peeled off. But we will have to wait and see how the rule would be implemented. This topic is being discussed extensively in the following thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-cars-15.html
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:32   #323
BHPian

What about the businesses of various manufacturers of Sun Film ?
I am assuming some of them might have surplus stock to be sold in open market, now what do these manufacturers do ?
Will they challenge this decision ?

Too many questions even for manufacturers
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:40   #324
BANNED

What next? A court order turning all homes and offices into transparent structures... 100% VLT from all sides. Why? Elementary... 99.9% of the crimes are committed within four opaque walls.

The judgement makes for no understanding of the reality. The logic behind banning all films appears contrived and laboriously arrived at.

What's even more depressing is the fact that it comes at a time just when the auto sector had warmed itself to 70/50 VLT at the heels of SC earlier judgement. What a colossal waste of time and money, both ours and companies who have invested in it!

It reminds me of the recent initiative to make helmet compulsory for women pillion riders. Sheila Dikshit, the CM of Delhi put her foot down and well the initiative was shelved. More than a decade ago similar thing had happened when Sikh organisations had objected to this.

The only silver lining is the petition by Sun Film manufacturers and sellers. Wonder if they are planning anything in this direction.

Last edited by anandjha : 2nd May 2012 at 19:45.
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:40   #325
BHPian

Supreme Court - From May4, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal!

From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal! - Supreme Court

From Friday, any tinted film on car windows will be illegal - The Times of India

NEW DELHI : Peel off the tinted film on your car windows by Friday as the Supreme Court has banned black films of any percentage of tint.

Only car windows that have been tinted by the manufacturers are allowed; besides this, all vehicles with any percentage of tinted film have to remove it, even if it is within permissible limits - 70% transparency in the front and rear windows and 50% transparency on side windows.

The apex court's judgment said, "We prohibit the use of black films of any visual light transmission (VLT) percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country."

Traffic police will launch a massive drive to remove films Friday onwards, when the SC order comes into effect. If the film is not removed, the car may even be impounded.

The Supreme Court judgment said, "The directions contained in this judgment shall become operative and enforceable with effect from 4th May, 2012." The court has ruled that traffic police "shall also remove the black films from the offending vehicles."

"In accordance to the apex court's order, we will be prosecuting any vehicle found with tinted film on the window. Irrespective of the percentage of the tinted film, challans will be issued and the tinted film removed immediately. If the vehicle owner resists the removal of tinted film, the car will be immediately impounded," said joint commissioner of police (traffic) Satyendra Garg.

The drive will begin on Friday morning and 50 teams of traffic police officers will be posted across the city to rein in vehicles.

"The earlier practice of allowing vehicle owners to report to the area traffic officer within 72 hours of the offence after removing the tinted film will be discontinued. Now, there will be no such leeway," added Garg.

Till April 15 this year, 9,279 people have been prosecuted for the offence. Last year, as many as 45,649 vehicles were booked for tinted glasses.

"Significantly, majority of these were repeat offenders, showing that despite being caught, Delhiites are mostly unmindful of the rules," said a senior traffic officer.

This year, in a drive %started on March 27, around 2,064 offenders were booked till April 26. Of them, 999 vehicle owners were made to remove the tinted screen on the spot.

"Usually, since the fine is just a meagre Rs 100, which is nothing compared to the money spent on films (ranging from Rs 700 to Rs 14,000 for those that protect from UV rays), it is not enough of a deterrent to defaulters who continue to travel in the vehicles. We hope stricter action will make the defaulters mindful of the rules," said Garg.

Tinted glass in vehicles is seen as conducive to criminal activities, especially on women's security. Whether it was the murder case of IT executive Jigeesha or the Dhaula Kuan and Mayapuri rape incidents, cars with tinted glass have been brazenly used.
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:42   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
What about the businesses of various manufacturers of Sun Film ?
I am assuming some of them might have surplus stock to be sold in open market, now what do these manufacturers do ?
Will they challenge this decision ?

Too many questions even for manufacturers
They can try to donate fluxmeters to police. This should enable our law enforcement dudes to carry on their responsibilities.
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:47   #327
Senior - BHPian

Cross linking threads till the mods do the needful.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...l-illegal.html

Edit: My view on this topic. They are saying that the ruling is because of criminal activities against women. What about the women who need security from prying eyes? Just recently we had a member from here who was in the middle of just such a scenario.

Last edited by vikram_d : 2nd May 2012 at 19:49.
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:49   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Nurni,

You already got the Sunfilm removed? Were they Black color or of very dark shade?

The judgement will be enforced from 4th May, i.e. Friday & we still have two days for getting final updates from respective RTO's.

Have others also initiated the process of removing Sunfilms? I would suggest to wait for atleast tomorrow to get a clear picture & update from local Traffic Police.

I feel 4th May is too early date to implement the proposed ban & it will not be possible for all the Car owners to remove Sunfilms.

Thanks,
Mine was of the darker shade though not fully black. I decided to be on the safer side and not be the first one to be caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
Does the process of removing sun film leave behing ugly gum patches on the glasses?
I was just having a discussion with one my friends who had to replace his film, and it left smudges on the glass!!
Yes removing the film does leave patches due to the sticky glue. Get the same removed from a road side accessory shop and they do a good job of the same. I got the same removed and they charged by Rs 200

Last edited by Samurai : 3rd May 2012 at 00:02. Reason: back-to-back post
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:22   #329
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Sometimes makes me wonder, isn't the Highest and most respected Legal authority of the country supposed to think and debate before passing a judgement. And can any legal authority guarantee me that an incident like what happened to one of our lady TBHP members in Delhi will not happen to any of my family members? Why penalise the larger good people for a few bad ones?
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:37   #330
Senior - BHPian

If this rule has come into action to stop offense against women in cars, then what about the houses? behind those closed doors where most offense takes place!

This rule will be a disaster for the sun-film industry and the people associated with it!
not to mention people who have spent big money on those expensive films!
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed