Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:55   #391
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Spoke to Amit who owns the 3M joint in Bangalore, It seems RTO has given time till the 13th of May to remove the tints. Removal of film will be charged 400 Rs
May someone please let me know how long does it take to remove a film, from the four windows of my car? And how do they remove it at the shops? May I do it myself on a Sunday morning or are there some special tools needed for the job?
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:04   #392
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
May someone please let me know how long does it take to remove a film, from the four windows of my car? And how do they remove it at the shops? May I do it myself on a Sunday morning or are there some special tools needed for the job?
Rahul, the whole process should take around 45 mins to an hour. Removing the sunfilm is very easy. You just need to make a small cut at the corner using a blade and peel off the film. What is tedious, is cleaning the windows as the film glue remains and this needs to cleaned with a solution. If not properly cleaned, dust will settle down on the windows and it will then become a problem.

I got my side window films removed yesterday and it took close to 45 mins. I did not get the rear window film removed since it might damage the rear defogger. Looks like I have to get that done as well. Anyone has done it and not damaged the rear defogger? Please let me know how?
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:07   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Looks like the local papers also mentioned about this. 3 days left to remove the films!

Decided to remove them?
No Boss. I strongly believe in the Indian Judiciary/Police, that they will forget about this in a month. Let's wait & see.

Kerala Police have reduced checking of private vehicles to great extent nowadays & focus is more on speed camera/red signal cameras & helmet/mobilephone usage etc, it may save us.

I have decided to continue with tints until i am challaned once

I think TBHPians should sport bumper sticker "Kill Kasab; Not Sunfilms"
Skyline GT-R is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:23   #394
Senior - BHPian

Now is this order applicable for A/C DTC buses also? They too have 3M sun films! I am sure DTC has spent lakhs of rupees on these sun films!

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-5558605974_eef21180f4_z.jpg

Last edited by bluevolt : 3rd May 2012 at 13:24.
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:23   #395
BHPian

While I believe that dark tints are certainly not safe for the driver and the pedestrian, banning an accessory which prevents you from dying from heat is really stupid.

It is fair to give enough time and stick to certain standards that will not compromise visibility but also prevent people from getting fried in the cars all year long. yes..I am from Chennai and we have summer throughout the year.

I support the decision to increase road traffic fines. It should be kept at a level that will actually make an impact. Jumping a signal and getting away by paying Rs 100 or so will not stop most of us from breaking the law. Make that 5000 and you will think twice to floor the pedal when you see the yellow light.

I was just about install 3M tints on my Rapid but I would just wait it out for a bit.
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:48   #396
Senior - BHPian

This is not the solution , just because the Delhi traffic police has been ineffective in enforcing legal transparency levels does not mean that the entire product is dealt away with.

I happen to be one of the lucky ones who did not get my films and the judgement came out , empathize with everyone who is going to have to remove them , very very silly.

Also , i am unclear on manufactured tints - does it imply

1. if the dealer/manufacturer puts the tint film then its fine - in which case what is stopping people from going back to their dealers , or simply asking for tinted film prior to delivery

2. irrespective , manufacturers will probably cash in on this a bit and offer tints on various car models , at the end most people who want it will simply take it with the new cars - so there will be cars on the road with film , the only difference being that all would be meeting legal limits since manufacturers will not take a chance.

Lets see what the roads look like tomorrow.
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:51   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post

Also , i am unclear on manufactured tints - does it imply

1. if the dealer/manufacturer puts the tint film then its fine - in which case what is stopping people from going back to their dealers , or simply asking for tinted film prior to delivery

2. irrespective , manufacturers will probably cash in on this a bit and offer tints on various car models , at the end most people who want it will simply take it with the new cars - so there will be cars on the road with film , the only difference being that all would be meeting legal limits since manufacturers will not take a chance.

Lets see what the roads look like tomorrow.
You got it wrong, it means, auto manufacturers should provide glass with certain VLT %, sun films on glasses are banned.
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:55   #398
BHPian

I think we all are overreacting with too much passion. The hon'ble bench at the hon'ble SC should not be undermined - they do know what they are doing and why they are doing.

By speaking vehemently against the judgement or even openly claiming to not follow it is serious contempt of code.

If it bothers anyone/BHP-ians so much file an appeal and a parallel PIL, get a stay! I don't think it makes it impossible to sit in a car without tints even in peak Indian summers, even if this is a slight deterrent for crime on the move, I think its worth facing the heat.

Also, realise that BHP-ians stay in limits with aftermarket films, most others don't! Police doesn't have luxometers - easiest way is to ban films, I do get the point of SC.

Also, if the film makers lobby is strong enough we will have a stay very soon. We should follow the rule, and I do believe it won't be heat of the moment - it 2ill be implemented properly especially in Metros - black films are as easy to spot as seat belt, phone etc and those rules have been implemented very well!

I have UV and hear rejection tints on both my cars from the manufacturers, plus they have automatic sun blinds on all sides - if this rule is implemented many cars will get these as standard feature very soon!
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:18   #399
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for clarifying - point 2 stands nevertheless

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
You got it wrong, it means, auto manufacturers should provide glass with certain VLT %, sun films on glasses are banned.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:51   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
I have UV and hear rejection tints on both my cars from the manufacturers, plus they have automatic sun blinds on all sides - if this rule is implemented many cars will get these as standard feature very soon!
Tints as in tinted glass? If so its ok, otherwise get ready for a scrape down. Sun blinds if you go by the judgement can be fined Read the doc its clearly mentioned.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:55   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Tints as in tinted glass? If so its ok, otherwise get ready for a scrape down. Sun blinds if you go by the judgement can be fined Read the doc its clearly mentioned.
Tinted glass :-)
Automatic blinds are factory fitted - they won't take those down - all fancy cars have them! We only use them on back seats and rear windshield - only when I drive I use it on the front doors as well.

Was contemplating get film on my camry, but with company tinted glasses and powerful aircon - decided not too, good decision in the end!

I still am in favor or court's decision, and believe there is some sensible thinking behind it.
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:16   #402
BHPian

Just came back from Electronic City Traffic police station, they have the update and going to enforce, mainly on too black glasses, if your car is within 70-50 limit and you can produce a certificate for the same, as of now you are safe. And there is an ad in not so well know daily called Kanada Prabha, the inspector showed me one copy of today's edition.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:16   #403
Senior - BHPian

Malayala Manorama, leading Kerala daily reports:
"no vehicles will be stopped/checked in connection with the supreme court ruling on sunfilms anywhere in the state. Opportunity will be given to all car owners to remove the films by themselves" said Mr. Jacob Punnoose, DIG of Police, Kerala
However, the Home minister Mr. Thiruvanjoor Radhakrishnan said that the state is liable to execute the SC order. He further added that the course of action will be decided after obtaining the full transcript of the judgement.
For members who can read Malayalam, here is the news item link:
No vehicles will be checked: Manorama Online | Malayalam News
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:30   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
I still am in favor or court's decision, and believe there is some sensible thinking behind it.
Apologies. However, I am still a bit stone blind and do not see the logic!

Are our cops equipped with night vision cameras, maintaining strict vigil etc wherein, in course of their duty (while on the beat), they were unable to identify some criminals because the car had tints?

Tints or no tints, I do not think we can see/identify a person in the dark unless we turn the cabin lights on, which I believe is illegal.

Secondly, I am yet to hear of a smart criminal getting by his crime with the cabin lights on!

When Cops stop us for Naaka Bandi, they get to see our faces.

Tints or not, it is not easy to identify a person in a moving vehicle. The speed cameras take pics from the front, where the visibility is maximum.

The rationale presented by the cops is hogwash just because they failed to do their duty. Well they need to be present to do their duty in the first place! On and above that, we have a lady making official statements about people being responsible for their own safety. So much for Democracy & Freedom!
A terrorist doesnt brandish his AK47 or keep it hanging from the coat hanger for the cops to see.
The Cops should first do what they are supposed to do, properly, before making all sorts of excuses! (remember the lady in a Zen in delhi: the cops were just lazy to respond).
They are more keen on standing under the shade catching & challaning the driver with tints rather than managing traffic ( a few of them do, and hats off to them). On above that, we have those cases where the cops extort money.
if the Lawmakers are lawbreakers, where is the integrity and transparency(pun intended)?
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:38   #405
BHPian

For those who are in doubt, here is the copy which Bangalore police seems to be following from tomorrow..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 15.pdf (272.4 KB, 754 views)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed