Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:20   #421
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

More than being cynical, if the fundamentals don't support practical implementation, it will be very difficult to implement in the long run, especially a facility which everyone has got used to. This judgement is like banning SMS on mobiles, coz authorities dont have ways to monitor them and aid in terrorism
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:25   #422
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I read in the online edition of Malayala Manorama that the Kerala DGP has said that police will not be stopping any vehicle due to the tints and car owners will be given time to remove films on their own. How much time? That's not there in the report.

The report also mentions a standard statement from the state Home Minister that the govt will study the judgement in full and then decide the course of action.

I get the feeling that Kerala home department is not too keen on implementing the ban. I'm not complaining.
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:27   #423
Senior - BHPian

Jignesh

Thats just not being cynical. It is how it was last time also. I clearly remember this was done in 2007 (or was it 2008) in Delhi. Police was actively stopping cars with tints and peeling them off (I saw it with my own eyes). I also voluntarily removed the sunfilms (mine were colorless!) on my Alto (so that was 5k down in drain). Few weeks on, new ruling came that you could put sunfilms back (with some set limits). In the end losers were those who were either caught or had removed their films.

I wouldnt be surprised to see this order repealed and stayed/squashed/changed in few weeks. Some of us are going to be left feeling fooled again.
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:44   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Rahul da, are your tints beyond the prescribed limits? If they are within the limits, I would advise to wait it out for some time and see. Since mine are within the prescribed limits on the Vento visibility is pretty good and one can hardly make out the tints as I had got very light shades.......
Do you think I should ask my father to tack out the tints that you see on the picture? What are the chances of us being stopped with such light tints? And if we are stopped by the police, how much are we going to be fined?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...k-beauty-3.jpg
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...k-beauty-3.jpg
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:57   #425
BHPian

Why they want to do such drive, they can start from any colony/block or area in early hrs and put challan slip to all. As more than 90% people use some tints. its hardly 5% people who actually use dark one. Not sure for just such small number how can they take some nasty steps to tease entire public.
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:11   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Do you think I should ask my father to tack out the tints that you see on the picture? What are the chances of us being stopped with such light tints? And if we are stopped by the police, how much are we going to be fined?
If I were you, I would right now hold on to it. The local traffic cops have no clue as of now about the judgement and say that they have not received it according to The Telegraph. Once they have the judgment after their usual process of determining how long they will take to abide by it they might come up with a notification first before launching such a massive drive. Generally in our city you know court orders are very rarely adhered to.

Yours seem to be like what I have on my car and I think it should be fine. However please don't hold me responsible if the cops here magically start a drive of imposing fines . In that case I too would be facing a penalty, that's the only caveat from my end. Besides I am sure given the high VLT I am sure you might have spent quite an amount in installing those films.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:18   #427
Senior - BHPian

There are punishing people who follow law.

People who spend money and got legal sun film, now they will be challaned and the film which they bought with their hard earned money will be removed.

It is like, government allows that you can have four floors in your house. People build four floors with their money/loan and suddenly, someone files a PIL that 3-4 houses out of few lakhs houses will collapse and it is risky and the court dictates everyone to demolish 3rd and 4th floor of their houses else it will be demolished by authorities and they will charged penalty and cost of demolish will also will be paid by people. will be demolished.
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:42   #428
BHPian

If you visit the Delhi Traffic Police Facebook page,you can clearly read how DTP interprets the SC order & how they intend to implement it; the posts have been made by the Jt Comm Traffic Mr Satyendra Garg himself.
It is clear from what is written there that the DTP is going to enforce removal of ALL sunfilms, whatever their tint level; if the motorists have not got the film removed before coming onto the road, DTP, if they catch them,will fine them & enforce removal of the film on the spot, else the vehicle will be impounded.
I agree that , with all due respects, the order is not well thought out-if no tint is to be allowed in the films for the purpose mentioned in the order, then permitting tinted glasses as OEM would defeat that purpose, no?
I'm sure that quite soon a clarification will come either allowing films within the permissible limits( wich may get revised from the 70/50 %age) or banning even OEM tinted glasses, to remove the inconsistency in the present order.
Till such time what should one do?
Garage the car with the Rs 30,000 film & take a bus instead?
Hmm....
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:49   #429
Senior - BHPian

While thinking of the ban on sun-films in detail, I'm becoming very much clueless as to how the authorities are going to dispose off the sun-films that they peel off from the cars.

Would they just dispose it off somewhere or burn it all at once resulting in more environmental pollution?

Anyone?
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:56   #430
Senior - BHPian

if forcing the tints to be removed does bring the crime rate down, then let there be a study and let the Govt. prove it. if not, they better send the person who raised the PIL and the judiciary who passed the law to jail for causing nationwide chaos and monetary loss!
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:58   #431
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest the presiding judge in the SC must first peel the sunfilm from his Corolla and then advice the rest. How about asking Z category security people like the PM etc to do the same. They stay cool and aam aadmi has to sweat beneath the collar in the summer heat, what 'perfect' timing for the order just before Agni sets in, what a 'sadistic' judgement from the SC. This amounts to stating that all people going around in cars with tints are criminals.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 3rd May 2012 at 21:01.
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:04   #432
BHPian

This is the post of the JC(T) on the FB DTP page-
" TINTED GLASSES. Well, I have seen reaction of people to a law laid down by Hon'ble Supreme Court. What has been laid down is this: No film of any transparency level permitted on vehicle's glasses. Glasses put by manufacturer permissible as per Rules which lays down 70% transparency for front and rear glasses and 50% for side glasses. If somebody still carries film on glasses, he is to be prosecute...d, film removed on the spot. If film not removed, vehicle need to be impounded and issued a court challan. Order comes into effect on 4th May 2012. Now options are: remove film yourself or face prosecution, removal of film or impounding of vehicle. Choice is yours. If somebody wants one can challenge Supreme Court judgment in full bench. Till this is modified this law.
Satyendra Garg, Joint CP Traffic"
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:07   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude
I'd suggest the presiding judge in the SC must first peel the sunfilm from his Corolla and then advice the rest. -----snip--------
Best not mention anything to do with "disclosure" and the judiciary in the same sentence. ..

Anyone in south delhi who's got their film removed?
By someone who knows what he's doing?
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:21   #434
BHPian

We should move to court against this order because removing films will cause more environmental damage as our ac's will have to work harder, consuming more fuel and hence polluting more. It will also result in more subsidy burden on government

Last edited by rohitbagai : 3rd May 2012 at 21:23.
rohitbagai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:33   #435
BHPian

I have seen lots of people posting this query on Bangalore Traffic police FB page and there hasn't been a response yet.Whereas the Delhi Traffic Police page is a reason to panic.But guess by the time other states takes notice, either the sunfilm companies lobby would get a stay or some person would go ahead and file a PIL.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed