Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 12:37   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
Got my car's tints removed yesterday evening.
What was most frustrating was there was absolutely no checking today morning and many guys were still driving with tints on!
Based on the wordings of the judgement, the respective state govt.'s will issue orders and sufficient time will be given to remove, why this hurry now ?

Also like Ajmat said, this will not be the end of it all.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:38   #497
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Breather for bangaloreans.We have some time.
Quoted below from deccan herald.

Quote:

Rules related to use of tinted glass in vehicles in City and State will be fine-tuned at a meeting of Transport and other department officials to be convened shortly, according to Transport Minister R Ashoka.

Speaking to Deccan Herald, Transport Minister R Ashoka welcomed the Delhi Government’s move on implementing the tinted glass rule from Friday.

Ashoka said soon after the elections to the Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike standing committee are over, he would initiate the process to form the rules. He further said that the State government had been cautious enough to implement traffic safety rules such as making seat belt compulsory.

Likewise, the tinted glass rule will be implemented on priority soon, he added. M A Salim, Additional Commissioner, Traffic, Bangalore City, also welcomed the Delhi government’s rule.
“However, we are yet to implement the rule in Bangalore. We are awaiting the notification from the Transport department, without which we cannot implement it.

“The State government has to take the initiative and frame the rules as to the percentage of visibility required, penalty and other modalities. Only then we can implement it,” he added.
Alter_Ego is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 12:39   #498
BHPian

Before I carefully read and interpret the judgment, prima facie it seems the Supreme Court has banned all kinds of tints on cars, unless provided (factory fitted) by the manufacturer. Just hoping now that someone in Delhi files a review petition in the Supreme Court against this order before the expiry of 30 days from the date of this order.

Last edited by crackparag : 4th May 2012 at 12:47.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:44   #499
Senior - BHPian

Very good. Let them take all the time to take initiative, frame rules. Let it take sometime to reach the police department. Until then I am not removing the film.
Saw a Innova belonging to Police which had dark tints. I dont think even Police are enthusiastic about this new ruling. Thats why they are putting the onus on govt.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:57   #500
BHPian

Did not bring my car to office as i was worried about police checking.
Travelling in an auto with all other cars zipping past me with sun films was such a frustrating experience
Did not see and checking, even on outer ring road stretch that I travelled.
Now I am seriously confused. Do I remove my sun film or not???? have set an appointment with the local accessories shop for that (yup, there is such a rush that you now need an appointment, or wait for hours!), but am not sure about it now. Dont want to waste money and a weekend morning if it all proves to be a meaninglesse exercise.

Last edited by amitayu : 4th May 2012 at 13:09. Reason: my wife is following the thread!!
Old 4th May 2012, 12:59   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Based on the wordings of the judgement, the respective state govt.'s will issue orders and sufficient time will be given to remove, why this hurry now ?

Also like Ajmat said, this will not be the end of it all.
Hurry to remove tints have been noticed in Delhi particularly due to various articles and ads in leading news dailies. I am not sure about other cities.
Below is one of such article from TOI, Delhi.
To quote
''Film ban from Friday but city clueless
Most Unclear About SC Order; Some Rush To Remove Film
Indrani Basu TNN

New Delhi: Tinted film of any percentage will become illegal on car windows in the city from this Friday and traffic police plans a massive drive to check violations. However, most Delhiites seem confused about what the Supreme Court order actually means.
When a TOI team visited several car accessories shops in the city on Wednesday, it found that most car owners as well as shop owners were unclear about the rule that will come into effect from Friday. Car owners were found getting dark tinted films removed from their car windows and replacing them with lighter tinted ‘permissible’ film. However, according to the SC order no tinted film is permissible in Delhi or the rest of the country any more.
Ayush Jain, a freelance accountant and student said, “I was shocked to hear that even the tinted film of the permissible transparency has been made illegal. I don’t understand the logic of allowing car windows tinted by manufacturers, but not tinted film of exactly the same transparency.”
“I have no choice but to remove the tinted film as my exams are starting and I don’t want to be harassed by cops. Driving in Delhi though will surely become tough in summer. I have a medical condition which gets aggravated due to sun exposure and had been advised by doctors to put the tinted film,” said Ayush.
While scores of car owners were found getting tinted film removed in Lajpat Nagar, the case was different in Karol Bagh. Kunwar Singh, a car accessories shop owner in Karol Bagh said no customers had turned up to get tinted film mounted or removed at his shop. In other shops in the vicinity, car owners were found getting lightly-tinted film on their cars. Jatin Sahni, who was getting the film mounted on his car windows said, “My father asked me to get the darker tint removed as I may get challaned. So I came to get it within the permissible limit. I had no idea that this too is illegal.”
The Supreme Court judgment has stated, “We prohibit the use of black films of any Visual Light Transmission (VLT) percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country… The directions contained in this judgment shall become operative and enforceable with effect from May 4, 2012.”
However, the announcement at the Delhi Traffic Police page on the social networking site Facebook has resulted in a volley of angry complaints against the law. Even as some users welcomed the move, dozens claimed that removal of all percentage of tinted film would result in problems during the unbearably hot summer months. Several users also claimed that the traffic police was ‘misinterpreting’ the ruling.
Traffic police is planning amassive drive against tinted car windows Friday onwards. “In accordance with the apex court’s order, we will prosecute any vehicle found with tinted film on the window. Irrespective of the percentage of the tinted film, challans will be issued and the tinted film removed immediately. If the vehicle owner resists the removal of film, the car will be immediately impounded,” said joint commissioner of police (traffic) Satyendra Garg. ''
Unquote

Moreover ads which were present in almost all news dailies yesterday were as below:
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-ad.png

I proactively got my car tints removed as I mentioned earlier that my car tints were nowhere close to the permissible limit. If all goes well, I would go for the ones which are approved by Supreme Court or Traffic department. Another reason that I got tints removed in a hurry was because I don't want to waste my time in getting harassed by cops over something which a matter of debate.

Last edited by abhijeetsng : 4th May 2012 at 13:02.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:59   #502
Senior - BHPian

i've a question of sorts - now, the ruling says OEM provided tinted glass are allowed if they meet the VLT requirements. however, if these OEM tints don't meet the said standards, what will be the action taken? impound the car forcibly? or break the glass (as there is no film to rip)?
Old 4th May 2012, 12:59   #503
Senior - BHPian

Just now saw on Star News that Delhi Traffic Police is removing films and issuing challans. :(
Old 4th May 2012, 13:04   #504
Senior - BHPian

TAGS - Bangalore, electronic city, traffic police station

To clear some confusion I walked into Bangy ECity Traffic police station and spoke to 2 cops at the front desk. They said they are aware of the ruling from today but have not started issuing challans yet since they are not clear from when to start!

Initial fine is 100Rs once the word comes from Commisioners office.

PS - They pointed out to the white bolero (Station Cops jeep) which was just leaving the parking lot - they said driver is taking it to local mechanic to get the tints removed! :(
Old 4th May 2012, 13:05   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Breather for bangaloreans.We have some time.
Quoted below from deccan herald.
Also today morning 8800 violations were booked in a drive conducted by BTP. Nothing yet as of now regarding tints and sun films only normal violations such as non wearing of helmets etc. best option is to wait and watch till the elections
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 13:06   #506
BHPian

star news says the drive WILL start fro Friday! it is clearly a dated news
Old 4th May 2012, 13:07   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Just now saw on Star News that Delhi Traffic Police is removing films and issuing challans. :(
This will be the only job that the traffic police will be doing for the next one month. What about the other traffic problems ? Why is Delhi alone so swift in their carrying out SC order ?

Does this also mean that the VVVVIP cars too will have plain glasses ?
Old 4th May 2012, 13:10   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i've a question of sorts - now, the ruling says OEM provided tinted glass are allowed if they meet the VLT requirements. however, if these OEM tints don't meet the said standards, what will be the action taken? impound the car forcibly? or break the glass (as there is no film to rip)?
Manufacturers will not provide cars with features which will be against the law of the land, hence the question of car's coming with dark/non standard (or greater the VLT allowed) tint does not arise. It would be similar to any other laws on Emission and/or Safety.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 4th May 2012 at 13:17.
Old 4th May 2012, 13:12   #509
BHPian

Just in!

NCR: Girl allegedly raped by two men in mall basement
CNN-IBN
New Delhi: In a shocking incident in the NCR, a girl was allegedly
raped by two men in a Scorpio car in the basement of Mahagun mall in
the Delhi suburb of Vaishali in Ghaziabad.
The incident took place between 4 am and 5 am on Friday morning.
Reportedly, the girl was introduced to the men at a party.
An FIR has been registered against the two accused. The accused hail
from Noida and are absconding as of now.
The girl is a resident of Delhi.

Now, what would car tints do in this!
People who wish to commit crime will always find ways and means!
Old 4th May 2012, 13:17   #510
BHPian

Yay!

Great job. India has 25% of sanctioned police positions lying vacant, including 1300 IPS posts. Just devote the rest of them (the ones not doing VIP duties) to remove tints from cars. Crime rate will come down drastically.

Kerala Police and Kerala Transport Department is all set to enforce the ruling. The police is not going to do a tint-specific drive but will include it in their regular checks. Transport Department is going to issue a circular to their officers tomorrow asking them to take stringent measures. They are going to treat tints as violation of registration and fines will vary from 500 to 5000.

Mathrubhumi

Last edited by darklord : 4th May 2012 at 13:19.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed