Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 14:30   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this would hold good for newer vehicles, yes. however, what about those prior to the 70/50 rule (and older)?
The Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989, say the glasses of windscreen and rear windows of vehicles should have a visual light transmission of 70 percent and for side windows it should be at least 50 percent.

The rule was formed in 1989, do you reckon there would be cars before that year still playing on the roads with tinted glass ?

Source : The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Latest News
Old 4th May 2012, 14:32   #527
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
This will be the only job that the traffic police will be doing for the next one month. What about the other traffic problems ? Why is Delhi alone so swift in their carrying out SC order ?

Does this also mean that the VVVVIP cars too will have plain glasses ?
No, VVIP cars don't need to have plain or factory fitted glasses. They can continue with dark tints provided, they get their vehicle registered with the DCP or Commissioner of Police and take prior approval.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:34   #528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
WARNING

Saw a couple of teams stopping cars, and removing the films on the ring road between South Campus and Lajpat Nagar.

You may want to drive with the windows rolled down
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I was about to ask this question! How about checking if the windows are rolled down?

Later, will they ask us to switch on lights inside the cabin during night drives?
The modi operandi is

1- One cop stands at the red signal and identifies the "culprits" from the waiting cars that are then stopped as soon as they cross on green.

2- Putting up barriers and filtering the cars.

In both cases, its a quick visual examination so if the windows are rolled down and the front / rear window is not noted, chances are that you may escape.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:38   #529
BHPian

I am truly surprised that the learned Judges of the Apex court made such a judgement. As is clearly evident, they need to enforce the existing rules rather than start banning everything.

Going by the same logic we hear plenty of crimes committed in buses and trains. There were few incidents in the recent past where women have been harassed by strangers and/or railway staff in Kerala. Does that mean that trains are to be banned or the ladies compartment removed. The same argument goes for Bus and Bus terminus. Also many of the private buses today have jet black glasses. So are they going to ban the buses and trains here.

The need of the hour is weed out corruption, improve education and standards of living, while having an Honest and efficient machinery (with backbone) to implement the rule of law, with no fear or favor. Only this week I read about an IPS officer from the TN Batch arrested for corruptions running into crores. Though too early to judge this case, if the legislative and the executive machinery is incapable and corrupt, only God can save this country.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:50   #530
BANNED

@raghu.t.k.; They can be sure that some MP will not raise a hue and cry for reversing this ban. Either the govt (Vodafone) or some powerful MP (mayawati) want to reverse the interpretation of the law given by the SCI in many cases.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:54   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Kerala Police and Kerala Transport Department is all set to enforce the ruling. The police is not going to do a tint-specific drive but will include it in their regular checks. Transport Department is going to issue a circular to their officers tomorrow asking them to take stringent measures. They are going to treat tints as violation of registration and fines will vary from 500 to 5000.

Mathrubhumi
Thanks for the link buddy. The news article is very interesting. It doesn't say that sunfilms are banned. Only black films are banned. (Transport Joint Commissioner) Mr.Alex Paul said that the existing rule is mentioned in the verdict(which means that sunfilm is not banned?).
Another interesting point:
"people inside the car should be identifiable from outside. If there's 50% visibility, this is possible. If the inside of the car is not visible, action will be taken." This is because there's no device to measure the VLT with the KP.

And there's something even more interesting. Taxis, medium vehicles and heavy vehicles will be fined Rs.3000, 4000, 5000 respectively because it will be considered as the violation of the conditions of permit. The permits of repeat offenders can be cancelled. It's applicable to contract carriage vehicles also.

So atleast in Kerala, it seems that if you have sunfilms with legal VLT, you are safe!
Old 4th May 2012, 15:10   #532
Senior - BHPian

A news article is out on NDTV stating that a girl has been assaulted in a SUV (Scorpio) in the basement of a mall in NCR
I dont have access to the link so cannot post it here.

Now what do they ban? SUVs? Or basements?
Is it correct to ban sunfilms when there is not enough patrolling or deterring punishment provided by the penal code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I dont think VVIPs need to worry here at all.
As long as they stay clear of toll plazas! One MLA got bashed up at a toll plaza in Pune by the toll attendant last week.

Last edited by selfdrive : 4th May 2012 at 15:25.
Old 4th May 2012, 15:11   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
No, VVIP cars don't need to have plain or factory fitted glasses. They can continue with dark tints provided, they get their vehicle registered with the DCP or Commissioner of Police and take prior approval.
But then which policeman stops VVIP cars??? they only bother us lesser mortals.

Old 4th May 2012, 15:15   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

In Bangalore Cops will wake up during the month end and collect the dues to meet the month's collection target.

As of now actictiy is as normal!

Cheers!
Old 4th May 2012, 15:15   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
But then which policeman stops VVIP cars??? they only bother us lesser mortals.

Its not always like this.
Randomly, even the cars with red and blue beacons are checked for their genuinity here in Delhi.
The difference this time is that Hon'ble Supreme Court has given orders.
abhijeetsng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 15:17   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
And there's something even more interesting. Taxis, medium vehicles and heavy vehicles will be fined Rs.3000, 4000, 5000 respectively because it will be considered as the violation of the conditions of permit. The permits of repeat offenders can be cancelled. It's applicable to contract carriage vehicles also.

So atleast in Kerala, it seems that if you have sunfilms with legal VLT, you are safe!
As per another news, KL DGP confirmed that no vehicle will be stopped for sun control film checking. They will first spread awareness and then start fining Rs. 100 per instance. Repeat offenders will have to release the vehicle through court.
Old 4th May 2012, 15:23   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
Its not always like this.
Randomly, even the cars with red and blue beacons are checked for their genuinity here in Delhi.
The difference this time is that Hon'ble Supreme Court has given orders.
That might just be Delhi then! I have never in my life seen any VVIP vehicle flagged down anywhere for any offense. I have traveled in my FIL's sarkari Ambassador (he was not a VIP but had a sarkari gaadi by virtue of being a top ranking official) and the driver drove oblivious of any rules on the road! Never was he stopped anywhere!
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 15:47   #538
Senior - BHPian

The cops are going mad on Delhi Roads. I saw at least 40 cars this morning on the road with their tints being removed and people being fined.I was so worried that i drove without the AC and my windows rolled down.

Whats sad in our country is that people are not given an opportunity to follow rules or make corrections. I have personally not seen enough material in the papers, tv and on the road asking me to remove Tints by a certain date. The court should have ordered the authorities to allow people 2 weeks to follow the new laws. The Cops are like Hungry Wolves who are just waiting to screw our happiness on the road without giving anyone an opportunity to remove their tints voluntarily. Makes me sick.

I bet 50-75 % people will remove them tints voluntarily if they were given a reasonable amount of time to do so.
Old 4th May 2012, 15:52   #539
BHPian

It was normal other than few car stop near Raja Garden. But from Shalimar To Gurgaon I haven't seen any at 11-12 pm. But worried about going back. Any update on latest from Gurgaon NH8 - domestic, cantt area, naraina, raja garden then shalimar. Anyone noticed any cops in this route.
Old 4th May 2012, 15:59   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
The cops are going mad on Delhi Roads. I saw at least 40 cars this morning on the road with their tints being removed and people being fined.I was so worried that i drove without the AC and my windows rolled down.

Whats sad in our country is that people are not given an opportunity to follow rules or make corrections. I have personally not seen enough material in the papers, tv and on the road asking me to remove Tints by a certain date. The court should have ordered the authorities to allow people 2 weeks to follow the new laws. The Cops are like Hungry Wolves who are just waiting to screw our happiness on the road without giving anyone an opportunity to remove their tints voluntarily. Makes me sick.

I bet 50-75 % people will remove them tints voluntarily if they were given a reasonable amount of time to do so.
IIRC, the Supreme Court Judgement came on 27th April 2012.
General Public were given a week to comply with the judgement of Supreme Court.
Awareness about the judgement was very much there in leading news dailies and tv news too.
Today's Date ie. 04th May 2012 was being mentioned in various ads and articles that from this day a massive drive would start to check for car tints.
We on the forum were a bit confused in the morning as there was no checking for the same in the morning - may be due to rush hour.
But as the news is pouring in, it seems that checking drive is picking pace and offenders are being challaned and tints are being removed on the spot.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed