Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 16:02   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
It was normal other than few car stop near Raja Garden. But from Shalimar To Gurgaon I haven't seen any at 11-12 pm. But worried about going back. Any update on latest from Gurgaon NH8 - domestic, cantt area, naraina, raja garden then shalimar. Anyone noticed any cops in this route.
Try to go between 6:00 - 7:30 PM (office hours). It appears that they are not doing it in rush hours because they will be busy managing the traffic at that time.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 4th May 2012 at 16:03.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 16:07   #542
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
IIRC, the Supreme Court Judgement came on 27th April 2012.
General Public were given a week to comply with the judgement of Supreme Court.
Awareness about the judgement was very much there in leading news dailies and tv news too.
Today's Date ie. 04th May 2012 was being mentioned in various ads and articles that from this day a massive drive would start to check for car tints.
We on the forum were a bit confused in the morning as there was no checking for the same in the morning - may be due to rush hour.
But as the news is pouring in, it seems that checking drive is picking pace and offenders are being challaned and tints are being removed on the spot.

Sir, I'm of the opinion that the concerned authorities should launch an awareness drive and explain to people that this is not allowed and that is allowed and then give them a month to follow the rules. Newspaper reporting is great but thats not an effort made by the authorities is it ? At the end of the day, removal of tints is for the betterment of road safety and people must be taken into confidence while doing so. If the authorities have indeed done all the above as i have desired for, i take all my bitching back and admit that i was probably not paying attention.

Even right now I'm sure there are a bunch of us thinking that this will be reversed by monday or some level of tolerance will be allowed.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:09   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I was told that the logos on films can be removed with cotton dabbed in a little brake oil.I have not tried this out yet so not sure.
Brake fluid is nasty, corrosive stuff. Try water, try Colin, try any non-abrasive cleaner --- but leave brake fluid for bake systems. Try a little spit, even: saliva has remarkable cleaning properties.

I saw the guy at 3M Carcare taking these marks off in moments. I don't know what he had on his cloth, but I doubt that it was anything "powerful." If it was, then best leave it to the fitters to do.

I read two English newspapers, here in Chennai, every day. Well, I look at them, at least. It has happened that I miss quite major issues, but still I'd be surprised not to have seen it had there been any advertisement or announcement of this. Anyone?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th May 2012 at 16:11.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:09   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
Its not always like this.
Randomly, even the cars with red and blue beacons are checked for their genuinity here in Delhi.
The difference this time is that Hon'ble Supreme Court has given orders.
I am sure that must have only happened post the Parliament attacks. And also am sure no checking happens in other Metros, forget other major cities and towns and villages. Authorities in India like to learn the hard way - act only after you are hit, else 'chalta hai'.

This is no way of curbing a disease in mental conditioning of Indian men, who end up committing hideous crimes such as cited in the petition. Other major laws could have been implemented to tackle this, which would have brought a much more drastic reduction in crime.

Also, if a law is just, there wouldn't be such an outcry as you see on this forum. The refusal to accept this law (atleast in thoughts) by many of us indicates that the entire directive, howsoever well thought out, is still quite flawed.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:15   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Try to go between 6:00 - 7:30 PM (office hours). It appears that they are not doing it in rush hours because they will be busy managing the traffic at that time.
Thanks sir, I generally go after 8, but today have some friends visiting at home, so have to leave by 5, 5:30 max
Old 4th May 2012, 16:16   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up
Update from Delhi - Drove to Gurgaon Cyber City from Janakpuri and I saw a couple of cops but no car was stopped for the tints. So far so good
No such luck in Gurgaon near Artemis Hospital. Got caught and fined at a junction where I've never seen a single cop in over 8 months. Today there were 8-10 of them there and caught many vehicles.

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th May 2012, 16:18   #547
Senior - BHPian

Whats the fine amount. I heard its Rs 100 for the first offence.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:21   #548
BHPian

I was planning for a good sun film in mine. Looks like have to postpone that for sometime. (a long time I believe).

I believe this will increase the sales of sticky temporary shades (Stick on sun screens) for car windows. And I need to go for one temporarily. I have noticed from roadside ones?

Any idea where I can get quality ones that lasts long and does work?
Old 4th May 2012, 16:22   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
No such luck in Gurgaon near Artemis Hospital. Got caught and fined at a junction where I've never seen a single cop in over 8 months. Today there were 8-10 of them there and caught many vehicles.

Regards,
spadix
How much they fined?

I went from Sohna Road to Leisure Valley (Sec-29, near Bikanerwala) and came back between 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM. Luckily, did not see any cops on the way.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:25   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Sir, I'm of the opinion that the concerned authorities should launch an awareness drive and explain to people that this is not allowed and that is allowed and then give them a month to follow the rules. Newspaper reporting is great but thats not an effort made by the authorities is it ? At the end of the day, removal of tints is for the betterment of road safety and people must be taken into confidence while doing so. If the authorities have indeed done all the above as i have desired for, i take all my bitching back and admit that i was probably not paying attention.

Even right now I'm sure there are a bunch of us thinking that this will be reversed by monday or some level of tolerance will be allowed.
@nik_kapur look brother, I am not taking sides. Not many of us are taking the Supreme Court Judgement in the right spirit - as some of us and to an extent even me think that Hon'ble Supreme Court could have come out with better alternatives. Even I got my car tint ripped off yesterday evening.

As far as awareness drive is concerned, I am not sure about other cities, but atleast in Delhi it was there for 3-4 days minimum. Yes posters, banners and hordings were not there but any one who reads newspaper daily or watches news daily would have noticed the awareness drive. I agree the time given to implement is very less.

But who do we blame here, even the traffic police personnel themselves, are not very sure as to what he correct interpretation of the judgement is.

Lets hope that some sort of stay is taken on the judgement by one or a consortium of car tint company/ies.

Or if we take it in still optimistically, may be all of this die down like other enforcements which are brought on from time to time. However, it is very unlikely as this decision has come directly from the Supreme Court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeKid View Post
I am sure that must have only happened post the Parliament attacks. And also am sure no checking happens in other Metros, forget other major cities and towns and villages. Authorities in India like to learn the hard way - act only after you are hit, else 'chalta hai'.

This is no way of curbing a disease in mental conditioning of Indian men, who end up committing hideous crimes such as cited in the petition. Other major laws could have been implemented to tackle this, which would have brought a much more drastic reduction in crime.

Also, if a law is just, there wouldn't be such an outcry as you see on this forum. The refusal to accept this law (atleast in thoughts) by many of us indicates that the entire directive, howsoever well thought out, is still quite flawed.
Right!

Last edited by abhijeetsng : 4th May 2012 at 16:27.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:25   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici
Whats the fine amount. I heard its Rs 100 for the first offence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel
How much they fined?

I went from Sohna Road to Leisure Valley (Sec-29, near Bikanerwala) and came back between 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM. Luckily, did not see any cops on the way.
I was told INR 1000 (yes, one thousand).

This was at around 1:30 pm.

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th May 2012, 16:32   #552
BHPian

After 2 years, in sun without tints :(, felt the summer again, but drove with confidence infront of the cops.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:34   #553
BHPian

Drove from gurgaon to connaught place and back.Not much action anywhere other than connaught place and nearby areas.In cp they have put up 3 barricades in the inner circle and they are only stopping cars with dark films, say the ones with 35% visibility or less.They even had people from news channels standing with them.I have 50% tints on the sides and rear window,passed atleast 15-20 cops on my way and nobody bothered to stop me.So i believe people using 50/70 tints are safe.
PS- chalan amount for dark tints is Rs.100 in Delhi and Rs.1000 in Gurgaon
Old 4th May 2012, 16:36   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Anyways, there will be 25 police teams in Gurgaon to implement this order form tomorrow:

25 police teams to enforce Supreme Court order on tinted glass in city - The Times of India

Cheers!
Irish
Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2765168

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

Regards,
spadix
This news about Gurgaon was shared Yesterday that there will be 25 police teams for implementing this order in Gurgaon. Gurgaon Police is also becoming very active after recent increase in crime graph.

Anyways, 1000 is too much. I hope you got the receipt of the same amount?

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 4th May 2012 at 16:38. Reason: Added link of the post
Old 4th May 2012, 16:44   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
Thanks for the link buddy. The news article is very interesting. It doesn't say that sunfilms are banned. Only black films are banned. (Transport Joint Commissioner) Mr.Alex Paul said that the existing rule is mentioned in the verdict(which means that sunfilm is not banned?).
Another interesting point:
"people inside the car should be identifiable from outside. If there's 50% visibility, this is possible. If the inside of the car is not visible, action will be taken." This is because there's no device to measure the VLT with the KP.

And there's something even more interesting. Taxis, medium vehicles and heavy vehicles will be fined Rs.3000, 4000, 5000 respectively because it will be considered as the violation of the conditions of permit. The permits of repeat offenders can be cancelled. It's applicable to contract carriage vehicles also.

So atleast in Kerala, it seems that if you have sunfilms with legal VLT, you are safe!
That mean KL police is not adequately informed, here is the important part of judgement
Para. 23

In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in holding that use of black films or any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible. In terms of Rule 100(2), 70 per cent and 50 per cent VLT standard are relatable to the manufacture of the safety glasses for the windshields (front and rear) and the side windows respectively. Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law. It is the VLT of the safety glass without any additional material being pasted upon the safety glasses which must conform with manufacture specifications.

Para. 26

26. The manufacturer of the vehicle may manufacture the vehicles with tinted glasses which have Visual Light Transmission (VLT) of safety glasses windscreen (front and rear) as 70 per cent VLT and side glasses as 40 per cent VLT, respectively. No black film or any other material can be pasted on the windscreens and side glasses of a vehicle.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks