Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 20:10   #601
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
started from Ph-V gurgaon around 5:30 and reached shalimar bagh 6:45pm. Nothing found on roads too during this time. Though I have RE 50 and RE70. So but relaxed.
You were one of the lucky ones, but sadly there were lot of people challaned in gurgaon. I had seen 4 teams today. One near cyber city flyover, oberoi hotel gurgaon, sector 22 palam more, and pasco chowk. Around 25-30 cars at these four locations my guess.

IMO its one of the good times for Traffic police and bad for people. Just one decision from supreme court without looking at all possibilties and huge losses for individuals and industry. Again a sorry state.

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2012 at 13:06.
Old 4th May 2012, 20:12   #602
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Just enquired with a friendly RTO Cop who sits at the Police Chowki near my house. He said no films are allowed. Rule is for entire country. Mumbai RTO / Police are waiting for a formal go ahead from their dept heads to start the drive, he hinted that this might start over the weekend. Right now he said that the fine might be 500 bucks but he is not sure as nothing has yet been decided by the higher ups. But one thing made clear - No films allowed. I will get them removed over the weekend.
Desmosedici is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 20:16   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
Why cant the enforcement be done in the following way?

1. Ban the sale of automotive Sunfilms at the source, People who are going to get the sunfilms done will not be able to do it
2. Run awareness campaigns through various media and fix a deadline for removing the sunfilms from the cars. The deadline should be communicated atleast 3months earlier.
3. Start collecting fines from cars wearing sunfilms after the deadline.

When will our Judiciary and enforcers learn?
Why should sunfilms be banned in the first place, especially for private vehicles? It would be a good idea to have this on cabs as if the driver or associates try something nasty, it may be seen.

Banning the sale of sunfilms will hurt alot of importers; there are more than 15 importers in this counrty and Garware - an indian manufacturer. Think of their investments which would run into crores! The stakes are very high!

Think of all people working in these companies who may even loose their jobs.

So its not just the users who get affected but the manufacturers/importers who are affected to a worse degree.

Finally, sunfilms offer safety to a certain degree for private vehicles. Think of the pulsar gang attacks in bangalore, if they're not able to see the drivers easily, they may think twice before planning an attack, especially in the case of ladies.
Old 4th May 2012, 20:16   #604
Senior - BHPian

I drove around dwarka, tagore garden, tilak nagar and vikas puri today with sun films and windows up, but didn't saw any action regarding the films on this whole route.
Old 4th May 2012, 20:35   #605
BHPian

I was thinking that this would be implemented more strictly only in the north. But looks like Bangalore is not going to escape :(

Check the post by the Bangalore Traffic Police on their facebook page - Bangalore Traffic Police | Facebook

Last edited by triedeverything : 4th May 2012 at 20:44.
Old 4th May 2012, 20:45   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

This will need a public out-cry before the SC relooks at it and gets in some better, more practical & realistic guidelines. The esteemed bench seems to be highlighting it's shortsightedness in all this.
Old 4th May 2012, 20:47   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Any action in Cochin/Kerala? I saw many cops standing at many junctions waiting anxiously. Then while coming back, saw many bikes being checked at various points. This is the first time am seeing vehicles being checked at these points. Thought it was for tracking down cars with tints.

Thankfully no cars were being checked expect in KK road where they have an interceptor which caught few cars. Hope those are not for tints.

BTW, when this rule came into effect I just noticed the number of cars with tints. Guess almost 95% of the cars in Cochin got tints. If the rule is going to be strict guess shops will be busy with cars waiting for the tints to be removed.

So guess there will be many TBHPians waiting for the tints to be removed. Might be possible for a mini meet.
Old 4th May 2012, 20:51   #608
Senior - BHPian

Movement against the ban -

https://www.facebook.com/movementagainstsc
Old 4th May 2012, 20:55   #609
BHPian

Guys rather than fretting over here please go ahead and sign the petition.I already did.
Here's the link Petition: the supreme court of india: Reconsider decision on a blanket ban on car films. | Change.org
Alter_Ego is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 21:08   #610
Senior - BHPian

Can someone please translate the following post from Bangalore Traffic Police? I can see that it talks about 70% and 50% but not sure if it's talking about exact dates/fines/whether sunfilm is allowed with 70% and 50% VLT or not. Seems to me that we'll have to get rid of the tints (and I was thinking about putting a transparent film in front for heat rejection )

Quote:
ಮಿತ್ರರೇ,
ನಿಮಗೆ ತಿಳಿದಿರುವಂತೆ ಮಾನ್ಯ ಸರ್ವೋಚ್ಹ ನ್ಯಾಯಾಲಯವು ರಿಟ್ ಅರ್ಜಿ ಸ.೨೬೫/೧೧ ರಂತೆ ವಾಹನಗಳ ಗಾಜಿನ ಮೇಲೆ ಬಳಸುವ ಕಪ್ಪು ಫಿಲಂನ್ನು(ಬೆಳಕು ನಿರೋಧಕ)ತೆಗೆಯುವಂತೆ ಆದೇಶಿಸಿದ್ದು ,ಇದನ್ನು ದಿ. ೦೪/೦೫/೨೦೧೨ ರಿಂದ ಜಾರಿ ಮಾಡುವಂತೆ ಆದೆಶಿಸಿರುತ್ತದೆ. ಮೋಟಾರು ವಾಹನ ನಿಯಮ ೧೦೦ ರಂತೆ ,ವಾಹನದಲ್ಲಿನ ಮುಂಭಾಗ ಹಾಗೂ ಹಿಂಭಾಗದ ಗ್ಲಾಸಗಳು ಶೇಕಡಾ ೭೦% ಪಾರದರ್ಷತೆಯನ್ನು ಮತ್ತು ಪಕ್ಕದ ಗ್ಲಾಸಗಳು ೫೦% ಪಾರದರ್ಷತೆಯನ್ನು ಹೊಂದಿರಬೇಕು ಹಾಗೂ
ಇದು ವಾಹನ ತಯಾರಕರೇ ಆ ರೀತಿಯಲ್ಲಿ ಗ್ಲಾಸ್ಹಾಕಿದ್ದಾಗಿರಬೇಕು.ಯಾವುದೇ ಪಾರದರ್ಶಕತೆಯ ಫಿಲಂ ಅನ್ತಿಸಿದ್ದಾಗಿರಬಾರದು.
ಸಾರಿಗೆ ಇಲಾಖೆಯ ಜೊತೆ ಚರ್ಚಿಸಿದನಂತರ ಇದರ ಅನುಸ್ಟಾನದ ಕುರಿತು ಸರ್ವೋಚ್ಹ ನ್ಯಾಯಾಲಯದ ಆದೇಶದಂತೆ ನಾವು ಈ ನಿಯಮವನ್ನು ಈಗಿನಿಂದಲೇ ಜಾರಿಗೊಳಿಸುತ್ತಿದ್ದು,ಎಲ್ಲರು ತಮ್ಮ ವಾಹನದ ಗ್ಲಾಸ್ ಫಿಲಂನ್ನು ಕೂಡಲೇ ತೆಗೆಯಲು ಕೋರಿದೆ. ನಾವು ಈ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಜನರಲ್ಲಿ ಅರಿವು ಮೂಡಿಸಲು ಎಲ್ಲಾ
ಮಾದ್ಯಮದ ಮೂಲಕ ತಿಳಿಸಲಾಗುವುದು.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:13   #611
Senior - BHPian

^ signed, sealed, delivered

hope this has some sort of effect on the ruling. have posted on Facebook too.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:13   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Kaushik, the note above is refering to CMRV sec 100 which in turn states VLT 70% for front & rear, and VLT 50% for side glasses. It says that the rule will be in effect starting today.

But, it says that the OE glass should be at max these levels, and that we should not add any after-market film.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 21:16   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Can someone please translate the following post from Bangalore Traffic Police? I can see that it talks about 70% and 50% but not sure if it's talking about exact dates/fines/whether sunfilm is allowed with 70% and 50% VLT or not. Seems to me that we'll have to get rid of the tints (and I was thinking about putting a transparent film in front for heat rejection )

It states that

"The OEM glass tints can be as follows:
Front and Back 70%
Sides 50%

But no films may be added. This rule will be enforced from 4/5/2012. The traffic police have resorted to all mediums to create awareness of this new rule."
rangakishen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 21:16   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Guys rather than fretting over here please go ahead and sign the petition.I already did.
Here's the link Petition: the supreme court of india: Reconsider decision on a blanket ban on car films. | Change.org
Do you actually think, clicking some button on Facebook is going move SC or its order? Yes, discussing here also will not affect the order but it will make us aware of the situation. If some one or some group of companies who are most affected can file for a stay order in a full bench and that application is accepted by the Apex court then only thibg will start moving.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:18   #615
BHPian

Re: Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
The actual court order text is here:
http://courtnic.nic.in/supremecourt/...c%2026511p.txt

A device called luxometer can measure the level of

opaqueness in windows owing to the application of black films

but this device is a scarce resource and is very scantily

available with the police personnel in India.

So, instead of directing the police to equip themselves of the requisite device, the Hon. Bench has asked the public to forego crores of collective expenditure on films.

It is noteworthy that luxury cars such as the BMW 5 series etc come factory fitted with CURTAINS that make it impossible to look inside the car. How is a ban on films, and films alone, going to aid the enforcement of "The rule of law"? Why not ban side glasses altogether, so the thieves can ACTUALLY be caught, by the scruff of the neck, by a cop chasing him down!?

Quote:

Black filmed glasses help in commission of

crime as well as hiding the criminals even during vehicle

checks at `Naka' points. Non-availability of electronic devices

to measure violations and lack of police force to enforce the

Rules are also apparent from these replies. The petitioner also

states that the use of black films is not prevalent in developed

and/or developing countries all over the world. In fact, in

some of the countries, it is specifically banned. In

Afghanistan, Belarus, Nigeria, Uganda and even in Pakistan,

use of black films on the vehicle glasses is banned. Use of

black films is not prevalent in United States of America,

United Kingdom, Germany and other countries as well.
Again, all factors that point to the alarmingly under-equipped police force passing the buck on to the larger public which is merely "inconvenienced". For the record, today is the 4th of May, 2012, and the temperature (Max) is 39 degrees Celsius. By 4 June, it is likely to be 46 or more. Just to put the term "Inconvenience" to context.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks