Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 22:14   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I signed the petition. Lets hope for a better tomorrow. Hope is what is left for us.
Old 4th May 2012, 22:22   #632
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
...what is the difference between manufacturer putting in tint inside the glass as OEM, versus us doing the same after-market? After all, VLT is the same whichever way.
The hon'able court has taken cognizance of the following in its order...
Quote:
A device called luxometer can measure the level of opaqueness in windows owing to the application of black films but this device is a scarce resource and is very scantily available with the police personnel in India...
....Non-availability of electronic devices to measure violations and lack of police force to enforce the Rules are also apparent from these replies.
At OEM level, it's much easier to monitor, and maybe hence ban the sunfilms altogether but allow the OEM tints.

I wonder whether the luxometer is really so scarce. Esp. in Delhi, I think even if just one such device is procured and used regularly even for 12 hours a day at different busy intersections every day, police can easily check hundreds of vehicle every day. If this is done diligently, consistently and persistently every day without fail, the sheer publicity generated through it alone would force the dark tints to completely vanish not only from the cars but also from the markets. Can't Delhi police (or any other police for that matter) procure just a few such devices? What really is so exclusive about these devices?

I sincerely hope that somebody would file a PIL for review of the order and the court will also take cognizance of the benefits of sunfilms which are numerous (the very reason why they are in existence and are so popular among the law abiding aam junta):
  • They do a great job at heat rejection and UV protection - in fact much better job as compared to OEM tinted glasses
  • Offers an individual the freedom of choice for the desired level of tint/protection (within the permissible limit)
  • Affords reasonably privacy and safety from prying eyes
  • Increases AC effectiveness and reduces fuel consumption which benefits not only the owner, but also the environment and the fuel subsidy bill of the government
First two reasons in fact indicate that, from purely functional purpose, it might make more sense to ban the OEM tints rather than the sunfilms!

I hope that the judiciary, traffic police and the executive / legislature will re-examine the whole issue including the feasibility of implementing the VLT limits with sincere efforts.

After all, if I slap my small child just once in a fit of rage, I don't chop my hand off to prevent such a thing in future. I decide to discipline myself instead.

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 4th May 2012 at 22:52.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 22:25   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
if someone in our members is aware of the procedure to remove the sun film safely and the proper way, he/she can post it here for the benefit of the community. i'm sure we can safe a couple of hundred bucks in this way.

anyone tried it already?
Quite bad scene in Chandigarh at this moment. Not only are the stopping the cars but ripping out the films. Luckily I got away without the fine.

Just removed my friends car film and quite easy to do it in less then 10 minutes. If it's a good quality film then it peels of very gently with just your bare hands.

Roll your window down just a couple of inches and start to peel off from top corner of the glass. Gently pull it back diagonally across the window glass and keep rolling whats coming off. Be careful to pull it down diagonally down with force applied across the whole length of peeled off film.
Old 4th May 2012, 22:28   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
if someone in our members is aware of the procedure to remove the sun film safely and the proper way, he/she can post it here for the benefit of the community. i'm sure we can safe a couple of hundred bucks in this way. maybe a DIY thread?

anyone tried it already?
I found this on the net: Link here: How to safely remove sun film from cars | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice
I still think its better to get it uninstalled from a professional installer. Will take care of minute details, as they would be experts at this.

How to remove sun film from side glasses

Step 1: Clear the window of all clutter and obstructions such as roller blinds etc.

Step 2: Park the car in the sun for a few hours till the windows are really hot

Step 3: If you have a steam blower or hair-dryer, use this to blow hot steam or hot air directly on the window film.

Step 4: Using a flat razor blade, pick one corner of the film by slicing parallel with the glass to lift up the film’s edge.

Step 5: Continue using the hair dryer or steam blower on the film and keep peeling it back from one side. The more heat you use on the film, the more easily it will come off.

Step 6: Some bits of film may still stick to the glass. To remove this you will need to spray it with an ammonia-based spray like Mo-Kleen or Mr. Muscle.

Step 7: After you spray the sticky bits, use the razor blade at an angle to gently scrape the sticky bits of film and the glue away from the glass.

Step 8: Spray the entire window with an ammonia-based spray and then wipe it with a micro-fibre towel.

Step 9: Use soapy water made with any household detergent to wash off the ammonia spray and bits of glue. Dry the window using a clean cloth or chamois leather.

Step 10: Using a commercial glass cleaner (like Colin), spray the window and buff it with a micro-fibre towel to restore its shine and remove any tiny scratches from the surface.

How to remove sun film from front and rear windscreen

Removing the sun film from a rear windscreen that has an in-built defogger or a built-in embedded radio antenna in the glass is a tricky job. Since the defogger and the antenna are actually tiny copper based paint strips or copper wires stuck on to the glass, when you peel film off the window, you actually risk cutting the defogger or destroying the radio antenna as well.

Step 1: First you will have to soften the film entirely, for this get a sheet of plastic or many old plastic bags or garbage bags.

Step 2: Put some newspaper on the dashboard or the rear-parcel tray. Spray the entire window with a strong ammonia-based cleaner (Mo-Kleen or Mr. Muscle). You can also get ammonium solution from a chemist and dilute it slightly to use.

Step 3: Place the old plastic bags or garbage bags over the ammonia-solution soaked film and leave it like that for about an hour or two, with the car parked in the sun. The sun will heat the glass, while the plastic bags will prevent the ammonia solution from evaporating and will instead allow the corrosive solution to soak into the window film and dislodge the film’s glue.

Step 4: Take a flat razor blade and keeping as parallel to the glass as you can gently lift the film from one corner where there are no defogger strips or antenna wires.

Step 5: Keep pulling the film gently and continuously keep spraying the ammonia solution on it as you pull to keep the glue from drying up.

Step 6: Once the entire film has been removed from the glass spray it liberally with ammonia spray and use a rubber wiper or magic-wipe kitchen towel to remove any sticky bits of glue.

Step 7: Use good glass cleaning solution and spray the glass liberally. Wipe it clean with a micro-fibre towel to restore its shine and remove any fine scratches or bits of glue left behind.

Source: Cartoq – Honest Car Advice
hrman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 22:31   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Quite bad scene in Chandigarh at this moment. Not only are the stopping the cars but ripping out the films. Luckily I got away without the fine.

Just removed my friends car film and quite easy to do it in less then 10 minutes. If it's a good quality film then it peels of very gently with just your bare hands.

Roll your window down just a couple of inches and start to peel off from top corner of the glass. Gently pull it back diagonally across the window glass and keep rolling whats coming off. Be careful to pull it down diagonally down with force applied across the whole length of peeled off film.
How about removing the adhesive? Did you use any liquid/soap?

Edit: Thank you hrman for the detailed procedure. Found above post only after posting this

Last edited by coolclouds : 4th May 2012 at 22:36.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 22:33   #636
BHPian

Got my films removed, mixed reactions regarding how my car looks and feels from inside now. Didnt do any day driving but night driving resulted in lots of high beam glares, much more than when the films were on.

The funniest thing is that, only after this new law came about I bothered about checking the transparency of my films. The Beat comes with 70% from the factory (green tint) which I didn't know and as it turns out I got 70% garware fitted from the dealer. Resulted in a dark black tint which I always thought was 70% Used to have trouble spotting 'un-lit' autos and bikes through my ORVMs at night. I was planning on removing them anyway but wasn't completely decided on it.

So in a way, this new rule acted as a boost to my decision making and my films are off now for the sake of night time safety. Also, I am all set to burn in the sun from now on.

The procedure is pretty simple as I saw it, just peel from an edge using a blade and keep using a soap (shampoo) solution and wiping as the film comes off. The defogger glass just requires a bit more patience and concentration but the procedure is the same.

Something like you would 'reverse install' a screen protector for your mobile device.

Last edited by superutp : 4th May 2012 at 22:36.
Old 4th May 2012, 22:38   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
How about removing the adhesive? Did you use any liquid/soap?

Edit: Thank you hrman for the detailed procedure. Found above post only after posting this
The one I removed did not had any glue on the glass but cleaned it with Colin and a clean cloth.
Old 4th May 2012, 22:52   #638
BANNED

It's just a quick/easiest way for the cops to earn money, cops will ask more money, they have nothing more important to do apart from catching film vehicles now, leave alone vehicles having film
As they say Do it today, it might be illegal tomorrow
Old 4th May 2012, 22:53   #639
BHPian

What a path-breaking order from the honourable court!

This will surely reduce crimes inside cars. They should also ask people to have glass walls, doors and windows without curtains in houses, offices and hotels so that crimes there can also be stopped. Brilliant!

Cheers

VW
VindyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 23:01   #640
Team-BHP Support

When an order like this is passed, as a citizen, I expect some time to be given for this to be carried out. If someone was really busy during these past 3-4 days, and touches the car only after 5th May, he is still a law violator and will be penalized by any cop whom he encounters on the way to the mechanic shop? Brilliant enforcement really!

I seem to have dark black tints on my T-Jet. Since I am petrified about damaging the rear defogger, I plan to get this removal done (if required to) by the people who applied the tints - 3M Car care. Problem is now, how do I reach the place 5 km from my house, without getting caught by the traffic police ?? I guess the only option is to leave my house in the early morning by around 6am (when no cops are around), go and park it at 3M Car care and then get it done when they open up at 11am

Jokes apart, I think waiting it out is a much better option for the next few days, before attempting to remove the tints and waste money (of refitting later if they lift the ban). I don't believe 3M, VKool and the other manufacturers are going to sit quiet when SC bans their products stating that it "helps criminal activities" (is it not generalizing and defaming their products?). Someone is going to challenge this order in the next few days, for sure. Till then, car remains parked at home, will happily use the bike.

P.S - Who knows, next tinted visors might be banned on helmets, because criminals' identities might be concealed if they decide to escape with one on their heads. Or maybe helmets might get banned, because they block the complete view of the face.

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th May 2012 at 23:14.
Old 4th May 2012, 23:02   #641
Senior - BHPian

Bhpians need some clarification, hope you all could shed some light onto it.
  • Are Sun films totally banned for any visibility level?
  • Read somewhere, cant recollect it that, SC has allowed 70% visibility film on front & rear windscreen and 50% visibility film around the sides?
  • Is the second point correct?
I have 70% film in front and 50% film around the sides & rear in my Vento & Fiesta. Does it mean I have to remove it? Spend nearly Rs. 14000 on both the cars, does it goes into drain?

I'm from Mumbai. Driving daily, haven't been stopped by police for sunfilms as yet or are they waiting for some thing.
Old 4th May 2012, 23:04   #642
BHPian

I got my 3M tints one month back. Not planing to remove it as of now. Wait for some more days and make a decision. BTW how is situation in Bangalore? Any one got caught for this? Didnt saw cops anywhere in old airport road or sarjapur road
Old 4th May 2012, 23:08   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
I got my 3M tints one month back. Not planing to remove it as of now. Wait for some more days and make a decision. BTW how is situation in Bangalore? Any one got caught for this? Didnt saw cops anywhere in old airport road or sarjapur road
Cops in Bangalore are yet to start the drive against sun films, asked a cop today, was told that they will start once they recieve the notice. But an hour ago on their facebook page, they have stated - "Black film of any transparency is NOT allowed on any vehicles as per supreme court order,Remove it at the earliest to avoid penalty" but no clarity on the date.
Old 4th May 2012, 23:13   #644
BHPian

Got a SMS from BTP saying
"Black Film of any transparency remove now and avoid penalty"
Old 4th May 2012, 23:14   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
[*]Are Sun films totally banned for any visibility level?[*]Read somewhere, cant recollect it that, SC has allowed 70% visibility film on front & rear windscreen and 50% visibility film around the sides?[*]Is the second point correct?
This has been covered multiple times now in this thread, but the answers to your questions are, in sequence - yes, no, no.

Regards,
spadix
Closed Thread

Most Viewed