Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 23:15   #646
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Bhpians need some clarification, hope you all could shed some light onto it.
  • Are Sun films totally banned for any visibility level?
  • Read somewhere, cant recollect it that, SC has allowed 70% visibility film on front & rear windscreen and 50% visibility film around the sides?
  • Is the second point correct?
I have 70% film in front and 50% film around the sides & rear in my Vento & Fiesta. Does it mean I have to remove it? Spend nearly Rs. 14000 on both the cars, does it goes into drain?

I'm from Mumbai. Driving daily, haven't been stopped by police for sunfilms as yet or are they waiting for some thing.
Yes Sun films of any color and visibility levels are banned. SC has allowed only manufacturer glasses with 70% VLT for front and rear and 50% VLT for sides. No external films on the glasses can be applied.
Old 4th May 2012, 23:30   #647
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

can we have those good ol frilly lace curtains instead? Its not stuck to the glass!
Old 4th May 2012, 23:36   #648
BHPian

DISCLAIMER: Long post - almost a rant!
Really saddened by such a blanket ban. I thought the Supreme court would be reasonable and fair. I find this judgement to be neither... Its like saying "Lots of terrorists and thieves live in houses. Houses have long harbored anti social elements. So we demolish them and ask people to live in the open"

Firstly, there is the logic of the judgment - ban something which a criminal could use to his advantage - OK, so lets ban growing a beard, wearing a costume (to hell with fancy dress parties the kids enjoy), make up, get every citizen to wear a uniform, ban mobile phones, rented apartments, etc

Secondly, who is to say that local companies won't start manufacturing tinted glass with lower VLT which thieves will use? Its hardly any effort to put on a logo and claim its OEM. So will cops start smashing glass on cars claiming its not OEM? How will the public be able to certify that their car has OEM fitting.

Arguably, a lot of this is to prevent thieves from hiding behind dark glasses. So, what happens to bikers who wear helmets with dark visors? Higher spec cars (like the bimmer) have curtains at the rear. Are these gonna be broken off? And is India soon going to ban the burkha as well?

I, for one, got film installed that was approved by the RTO - which is a government body. It was their approval that was the deciding factor for me to spend 16k on a film. Will I be reimbursed now for the investment I made?

As for the rapes and sexual assaults that have happened in Delhi and NCR in moving cars at wee hours of the night, they will automatically stop, right, because the rapists have been doing it right under the cops noses, but the problem was cops weren't been able to see through the glass. Are you kidding me? In the wee hours of the night, while the cop at the chowky dozes off, cars will be parked in secluded spots and sexual offenses will happen. The way to stop it is to put the fear of God into the perpetrators through speedy trials and severe punishment, to improve vigilance, stop more vehicles late at night and check them, not to ban sun film.

I'm also surprised at the urgency of this... Sure cases on rape, murder, terrorism can go on for years and years without judgement being passed but sunfilm being banned, yeah that needs to be fast tracked.

I'm not even going to get started on the benefits of sunfilm, like UV protection, improved fuel efficiency, etc.

It may not be apparent from what I've written, but I do respect the Supreme court of India; I did a lot more, because it felt like the only sane voice in the cacophony created by the criminals who run the country, the lethargic law enforcement and spineless leadership. Anyway, I needn't agree with the SC judgements. I will abide, but not agree.
vinod332002 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 23:43   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
Why cant the enforcement be done in the following way?

1. Ban the sale of automotive Sunfilms at the source, People who are going to get the sunfilms done will not be able to do it
2. Run awareness campaigns through various media and fix a deadline for removing the sunfilms from the cars. The deadline should be communicated atleast 3months earlier.
3. Start collecting fines from cars wearing sunfilms after the deadline.

When will our Judiciary and enforcers learn?
Imagine where we'd be, if the powers that be were as progressive in their thinking as you! Stories and stories of inefficiency, from the very apex, down to the final floor - the whole thing must be born by the common man, be it in taxes, in poor services or in an enforcement such as this, as cursory as ever!

Anyway, before the mods scrap out this post as better fit for a forum on politics, dear gurus, i guess it is just wishful thinking on my part, but, is it in any way possible to remove a sun film such that it can be installed later, just in case the verdict is stayed/revised? My sun film is hardly 10 months old and I spent more than 14K on it .. (It is 70% transparent on the front and the back and 50% on the sides .. so much for trying to respect the law, the way most people interpreted it, anyway!)
Old 4th May 2012, 23:54   #650
BHPian

What about this? (Maruti Omni Cargo)
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-1330011610_321358560_1saleofmarutiomnicargovanmodel2007hauzkhas.jpg  

sourav21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 23:58   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are Sun films totally banned for any visibility level?
  • Read somewhere, cant recollect it that, SC has allowed 70% visibility film on front & rear windscreen and 50% visibility film around the sides?
I have 70% film in front and 50% film around the sides & rear in my Vento & Fiesta. Does it mean I have to remove it? Spend nearly Rs. 14000 on both the cars, does it goes into drain?

I'm from Mumbai. Driving daily, haven't been stopped by police for sunfilms as yet or are they waiting for some thing.
Well, the SC says that NO film is allowed which included the transparent vareity like 3M CR 70. Some states (Police) have decided to allow the 70/50 availability, but anyday even a 90% visibility car can be stopped and fined.

Yes theoritically your money is wasted but if possible use rickshaws / taxis in the interim. I am sure this rule would be rolled back in some time

Last edited by scopriobharath : 4th May 2012 at 23:59.
Old 5th May 2012, 00:12   #652
BHPian

I am going to take it easy and monitor the situation. I will not remove any of my sunfilm (atleast anytime soon). I fail to understand the SC's rationale behind the sudden ban. Sunfilms protect us from UV rays (which cause cancer) as well as the scorching heat. There are also sunfilms that INCREASE security of cars. I am referring to those films which hold the glass in place if a robber tries to smash the glass and rob anything. So, sunfilms are of tremendous advantage. It has happened to a friend of mine. His car was parked on the road, and overnight someone tried to smash the glass and steal the car. The glass did crack but the sunfilm held it in place and as a result the robber could not break through the glass.
Now, the SC wants us (many who have spent thousands specially putting the "allowed" films) to remove all films immediately. Nonsense. What about so many other pressing issues that are more important to the country than sunfilms? Why no action on that front?
This seems just an easy way for cops to get more money & to rob us of our money by making us remove what we spent thousands on. I'm sorry to say this but this sudden ban seems like a dictatorial style where things are being imposed all of a sudden.
Why are the companies such as VKool, Llumar, 3M india, Garware etc not protesting? I would love to see them take on this thoughtless decision.
I request you guys to not hurry and remove your tints so soon. My guess is that these companies will launch some sort of protest and we should wait to observe the effects of this protest.
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 00:30   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
Why are the companies such as VKool, Llumar, 3M india, Garware etc not protesting? I would love to see them take on this thoughtless decision.
I request you guys to not hurry and remove your tints so soon. My guess is that these companies will launch some sort of protest and we should wait to observe the effects of this protest.
Well why should these companies be in a hurry? Let this madness go on for a few days or even weeks. This will ensure lot of people would have either voluntarily removed their films or got caught and the work done by police. Then at an appropriate moment of their liking they will go and get a stay order on this. Voila they are back in business! Nothing like suddenly having thousands of new customers Only this time most of them might go for premium (read higher VLT) films that are more expensive.

Its win-win for them really. The only loser in all this is us, the customers/people of India.

Last edited by joslicx : 5th May 2012 at 00:31.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 00:49   #654
Team-BHP Support

Dont know if this is true but https://www.facebook.com/movementagainstsc

Quote:
Breaking News :- Garware , 3M , V Kool managers just had a meeting with Mr.Kapil Sibbal in New Delhi one hour ago . The meeting ended on a hot argument & the companies are saying their dealers & the customers not to worry . According to our sources A formal PIL petition is going to be filed against this decision on MONDAY morning in Supreme Court Of India. We will keep you updated, We are in contact with all companies & Ministry ..but until then please keep spreading & Sharing the page wherever you can .. !!
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 01:04   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well why should these companies be in a hurry? Let this madness go on for a few days or even weeks. This will ensure lot of people would have either voluntarily removed their films or got caught and the work done by police. Then at an appropriate moment of their liking they will go and get a stay order on this. Voila they are back in business! Nothing like suddenly having thousands of new customers Only this time most of them might go for premium (read higher VLT) films that are more expensive.

Its win-win for them really. The only loser in all this is us, the customers/people of India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Dont know if this is true but https://www.facebook.com/movementagainstsc
Breaking News :- Garware , 3M , V Kool managers just had a meeting with Mr.Kapil Sibbal in New Delhi one hour ago . The meeting ended on a hot argument & the companies are saying their dealers & the customers not to worry . According to our sources A formal PIL petition is going to be filed against this decision on MONDAY morning in Supreme Court Of India. We will keep you updated, We are in contact with all companies & Ministry ..but until then please keep spreading & Sharing the page wherever you can .. !!
Good for the sunfilm companies. wait for some days and then file PIL and get stay order and later get 70% or 50% VLT sunfilms legalized as before. most of the people who had sunfilm uninstalled will go back for new sunfilms (more expensive ones since 70% and 50% vlt sunfilms cost more) and sunfilm companies make a windfall. I would advice people with really expensive sunfilms to avoid using their vehicles for a few days if possible and wait for the result of the PIL filed by sunfilm companies on Monday. ( would be cheaper to hire a taxi for 2 to 3 days than remove sunfilm costing Rs 20,000/- to Rs 30,000/-.

Last edited by dockap : 5th May 2012 at 01:06.
Old 5th May 2012, 03:55   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Got a SMS from BTP saying
"Black Film of any transparency remove now and avoid penalty"
now what about green tint? I remember while choosing free tint in showroom for my car, they showed me green colored tint as well (by garware).
So if we have green tint, we are okay is it?

For past one month, i had been planning to tint my new figo. Good that I haven't tinted Figo yet. Will wait for this issue to settle down after this initial fining, PIL etc. Why spend get tint, pay fine and then remove. And if 50/70 VLT is agreed, then again spend money to get the tint back. Wait and watch is best option for me as of.
Old 5th May 2012, 04:39   #657
BHPian

There were no issues on my travel to Noida yesterday. Route I took was Moolchand - LN Flyover - Ashram - DND.
This was from 2PM - 2:45PM.

Nonetheless I will be keeping a blade in the car and needless to say the car will not be moved out during day time for the weekend.
God save me from Monday.
Old 5th May 2012, 07:13   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Bhpians need some clarification, hope you all could shed some light onto it.
  • Are Sun films totally banned for any visibility level?

To me, it seems like the general interpretation of the order has turned into black film of any kind must be removed. In fact in the judgement the wording too is along those lines. If you have 70/50 VLT I think even the black film is hardly noticeable. Any other shade will escape scrutiny easily. I have the Llumar PP60 and PP70 which are green and clear in nature and it will need a real x-ray vision to figure out if my car has tints or not. If you feel that there is enough visibility in your car in spite of the films it might be a good idea to hold on before jumping the gun. Just check out what kind of films are being removed when the cops stop the cars in your area after which you can take a call. I think the only the thing the cops are doing now is removing films violating the 50/70 rule which they should have been doing all along in the first place
Old 5th May 2012, 07:47   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't see this abating now, at all.
5k odd challans issued yesterday.
And then there's the report about the lady being assaulted in a Scorpio yesterday, and the repeated statement of "tinted glasses".
I think it's wiser to get it removed professionally, than take a chance with the ham fisted bozos employed by the TP.
Total horse manure, man.
Old 5th May 2012, 07:53   #660
Senior - BHPian

Are you all succumbing to this? Why dont we wait for sometime and watch the final outcome? What if there's some relaxation?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed