Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 19:08   #721
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

No signs of any cops checking anything in Bangalore around the Bangalore Golf course-Raj Bhavan-cunningham road area even though there are several cops stationed at these places at most times. I feel its just a matter of time before these 'law' enforcers start collecting their collections.
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 19:12   #722
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I am gonna put light curtains in my car. It is not pasted to the windscreen. If SC can take literal interpretation of rules, so can we.
manolin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 19:17   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

EDIT... Ah, yes, here it is:
...Originally Posted by Jaggu
Dont know if this is true but https://www.facebook.com/movementagainstsc
Quote:
Breaking News :- Garware , 3M , V Kool managers just had a meeting with Mr.Kapil Sibbal in New Delhi one hour ago . The meeting ended on a hot argument & the companies are saying their dealers & the customers not to worry . According to our sources A formal PIL petition is going to be filed against this decision on MONDAY morning in Supreme Court Of India. We will keep you updated, We are in contact with all companies & Ministry ..but until then please keep spreading & Sharing the page wherever you can .. !!

I'm not sure that the meeting "ending on a hot argument" (due to no sunfilm? ) is exactly compatible with suppliers and customers not having to worry...

I do not have a facebook account.

Couldnt get Jaggu's original quote, so using Thads' post. The SC should have imposed punitive fine on these sunfilm manufacturers for making films outside the prescribed limits..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

While I agree with point no.2, I disagree with point no.1. ...

Sorry for going slightly OT regarding banning of headlight upgradation - Headlight upgradation is a necessity in some cars either

1. if the OEM lamps are not sufficiently powerful for highway journeys or
I quoted mainly from personal experience. My friend gave this as an excuse for using high beam.

My logic is like this. .. you are getting only 70% VLT transmitted. This is fine in day time. But in night its not sufficient and forces people to either upgrade headlight or use high beam.

Regarding OEM lamp.. when a new car gets released, it needs to be certified by RTO. They inspect the OEM lamp and ensure that its within the permissible range. When we change/ upgrade we are violating law.

Samething applies to horns also.

NOTE:
I am also affected by the ruling. I am using 3M RE70/ RE50 series sunfilm on my car and have the stock bulbs. Still I think the ruling is correct. When we stick film, we are defeating the whole process of inspection by RTO

I believe, this also applies to bumpers, crash guards too :-)

Quote:
So because jet black films cause the above, the solution is to ban films altogether? They should be sensible and enforce the 50/70% rule if anything. Banning films altogether is nonsense.
I would love to see this change as I have RE70/50 on my car.

Each judgement should have reason behind the judgement. I havent read the reasoning behind the judgement. We should read that part also before jumping to conclusions

PPS:
Just a thought. A revision PIL should cite UV Ray prevention as major benefit from Sun Films. Otherwise the ruling seems to be an interpretation of MV Act and challenging the ruling might not help

Last edited by druva : 5th May 2012 at 19:36.
druva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 19:52   #724
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Just a thought. A revision PIL should cite UV Ray prevention as major benefit from Sun Films. Otherwise the ruling seems to be an interpretation of MV Act and challenging the ruling might not help
Indeed! Infact not many have really commented on that front. The ideal scenario should have been to define the permissible VLT (with or without sunfilms), and act against cars which are not adhering to those. At this point, it looks like the pluses (heat rejection, UV blocking etc.) of the protective films are fully ignored. Even with 100% air-conditioning, the heat radiation effects can be quite high if you drive for a couple of hours on highways in hot summer.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 19:54   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
No signs of any cops checking anything in Bangalore around the Bangalore Golf course-Raj Bhavan-cunningham road area even though there are several cops stationed at these places at most times. I feel its just a matter of time before these 'law' enforcers start collecting their collections.
according to the Bangalore Traffic Police press release, they have given us 15 days to remove the sun films on the cars after which they will start catching vehicles. Found this info on their Facebook page.
xstream_nos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 20:04   #726
BHPian

What about molestations and assaults that could happen during night time? Maybe we will have to drive with the internal lights on?
Old 5th May 2012, 20:04   #727
BHPian

No more tints on my Santro, finally got them removed today.

The sides were done at ease by using the normal water and soap solution with a blade,
But the guy refused to do anything to the rear glass apart from ripping off the film
the reason was the Defogger.
Now the rear glass has glue all over it.
Tried removing it with thinner, but no success :(

What do i do now ?
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-image4087110772.jpg  

Old 5th May 2012, 20:18   #728
BHPian

Got my 3M sunfilm removed from Reliance Autozone, HSR Layout.And after looking at it now I feel like crying.From my ride it has gone to look like my grandfather's ride.Whoever says that I am creating a hype out of nothing as its just sunfilms then please justify the 300 billion dollar sunfilm industry in just India ,forget the world.

The person who removed the tints, saw my sunken face and told that "Sir, this is nothing, yours is just a 3M RE series, someone came in the morning and he got his sunfilms removed which had costed him 18k", Still i din't feel any better.

But strangely few people were getting their cars tinted too and when I told them that its a SC order and they are wasting their money, they replied by saying that this kind of ruling comes every 6 months and it will go in another 2 weeks.Even the reliance autozone manager told me that this is the 6th time this law is being brought upon.So they are not worried.

Whatever it is, now my baby stands in the basement all violated.

Today they say that ban tints due to the increasing number of rapes, and then tomorrow if still the rapes continue , what next ... Ban women?
Alter_Ego is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 20:48   #729
Senior - BHPian

@ Suv100 - Man , thats an ingenious way of solving crime at night . Drive with your lights on. I am with you about the idiot-icy of the judgement given by the apex court. In chandigarh , the traffic cops like to be a little over active despite there fairly incompetent nature to solve other crimes.. To me , all this judgement will do is increase the level of corruption at grass root level.All i can see happening is , give it 2 weeks and it will die out. They might catch that odd car with 200% filiming but those within the limit should not have a problem.
Old 5th May 2012, 21:09   #730
Senior - BHPian

Nope, Ban "men" from traveling/drive a 4wheeler

I think you should have waited for few more days, am just holding on for now. its just about a month now since i got films installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Got my 3M sunfilm removed from Reliance Autozone, HSR Layout.And after looking at it now I feel like crying.From my ride it has gone to look like my grandfather's ride. ... Ban women?
Old 5th May 2012, 21:15   #731
Senior - BHPian

Many members are feeling sad because of removal of sun films. I know our cars looks cool with tints (legal only) along with other known benefits.

I will be using Metro/Bike in coming week, dad will use his official vehicle which don't has tints and my brother is out of station meaning all our cars are grounded for one week. I am waiting for any sort of relaxation by court - wait and watch situation for me.

For those who have got sun films removed (or will get removed) and are fearing of heat/privacy/theft, I am suggesting few products which are easily available and can protect your car by blocking clear view of your car's interiors while the car is parked. These products are available from any neighborhood accessory shop and are also sold at red lights costing 100 to 500 rupees (But I am sure these sellers will make huge profits now by increasing price).

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-1.0x0.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-2piecescarsidewindowsunshadesuctioncupcoversunshade12032761486.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-41qxjhhobql._sl500_aa300_.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-car_window_sunshade_ia57aws460.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-carsidewindowsunshadessunheatprotect1pair505374.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-sidewindowcarsunshadesrectanglepackof24848p.jpg

Please don't take this post in wrong way - I am no way suggesting to break the law. I am suggesting these accessory as I use them while my car is parked for protecting against theft hazard. Please remove them and keep it in boot/rear seat before driving!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 21:18   #732
Senior - BHPian

my car is grounded for the next two weeks. i'll be carrying my lunch in raw format from Monday; the Nero will cook it by the time i reach office
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 21:22   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Many members are feeling sad because of removal of sun films. I know our cars looks cool with tints (legal only) along with other known benefits.

I will be using Metro/Bike in coming week, dad will use his official vehicle which don't has tints and my brother is out of station meaning all our cars are grounded for one week. I am waiting for any sort of relaxation by court - wait and watch situation for me.

For those who have got sun films removed (or will get removed) and are fearing of heat/privacy/theft, I am suggesting few products which are easily available and can protect your car by blocking clear view of your car's interiors while the car is parked. These products are available from any neighborhood accessory shop and are also sold at red lights costing 100 to 500 rupees (But I am sure these sellers will make huge profits now by increasing price).

Please don't take this post in wrong way - I am no way suggesting to break the law. I am suggesting these accessory as I use them while my car is parked for protecting against theft hazard. Please remove them and keep it in boot/rear seat before driving!
Well, these are just mere substitutes which can never fulfill the usefulness of Sunfilms, however these would be the only options left for us.

I really hope that if 'this rule stays in place', then manufacturers offer consumers with good sunfilms options on their cars. But then knowing the SC, the next rule will involve removal of OEM sunfilms from cars.

Last edited by superutp : 5th May 2012 at 21:24.
Old 5th May 2012, 21:26   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Got my 3M sunfilm removed from Reliance Autozone, HSR Layout.And after looking at it now I feel like crying.From my ride it has gone to look like my grandfather's ride.Whoever says that I am creating a hype out of nothing as its just sunfilms then please justify the 300 billion dollar sunfilm industry in just India ,forget the world.
Good that you followed the law. But you could have waited for some more days to know the reaction on this. I didn't see cops searching vehicle for tints. Even i saw some police vehicles with sun-film. What is your plan if govt says you can use the old 70/50 sun-films?
Old 5th May 2012, 22:24   #735
BHPian

Go back to good old Fashion, Use some types of curtain at the back In olden days the Amby used to be decorate in this way...

However I felt that this rule could have done some better way. Car can have only 70-80% visibility in side and back. And restrict the manufacturer by manufacturing the film, resolving the problem in Grass Root level.

Can Somebody give some name which cars comes with tinted glass from manufacturer, may be those are out of our budget.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks