Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2012, 22:26   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Well, my rear glass just got smashed (no idea how: the car has been parked and covered off the street since Sunday night: a vandal and catapult?) so that is one expensive piece of 3M CR70 removed by, err, natural wastage.
Old 5th May 2012, 22:38   #737
BHPian

Can't understand SC judgement. How diff is manufacturer tint and film tint. If they allow earlier one then why not this one. Only reason I can say is Police inability to check that.
sam003 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 22:49   #738
BANNED

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

There's no official information whether film manufacturers doing any action against it or not.
What cops will do if one argue not to remove films on the spot ? they can confiscate dl/rc, They can't impound vehicle for this offence though.
Cops will harass to extort money
Old 5th May 2012, 22:55   #739
BHPian

sumeet, cops might catch you. although this shade is not blackish, transparency is too low, and according to the court order, any film is not allowed. Only the tints that come from manufacturer are allowed. Most of the cars nowadays come manufacturer tinted according to the law.
Old 5th May 2012, 22:58   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I really hope that if 'this rule stays in place', then manufacturers offer consumers with good sunfilms options on their cars. But then knowing the SC, the next rule will involve removal of OEM sunfilms from cars.
AFAIK, there's no such thing called OEM sunfilm. Manufacturers provide tinted glass, the VLT of which cant be altered unless you use something like sunfilm.

And to be honest, I don't understand people who are more concerned about the looks of the car in the absence of sunfilm! To me, heat rejection and uv protection are the biggest concerns.

Another side of the issue is that if people are allowed to use sunfilms, it will be misused to a certain extent especially in village areas where the no. of cops are less and even if they stop some vehicles they will have to let them go since they don't have any instrument to accurately measure the VLT. With the manufacturers, there's no worry. They will never install glasses with illegal VLT in cars. So if sunfilms are banned, no such concerns.

But then why not ban the production of sunfilms that have less than 50% VLT for vehicles? That should solve the problem I guess.

Last edited by fast&furious : 5th May 2012 at 23:00.
fast&furious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 23:05   #741
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen,

Lets not jump to conclusions and start removing the sunfilms but wait for what's going to happen in the next 15-30 days.

Obviously, the sunfilm importers would not allow themselves to go out of business and neither will the ban be lifted. This is just like hiking the fuel price by 5/- and when there's protest, it would be reduced to 3/-.

So please wait. If you have the time, please file the petition on the facebook link.
Old 5th May 2012, 23:23   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, my rear glass just got smashed (no idea how: the car has been parked and covered off the street since Sunday night: a vandal and catapult?) so that is one expensive piece of 3M CR70 removed by, err, natural wastage.
That was too bad. Yours is a new Swift is it not? Night hooliganism under spiritual influence I suppose. Take care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
How diff is manufacturer tint and film tint. If they allow earlier one then why not this one.
As all kind of films are banned percentage of tints of films are irrelevant. Regarding OE glasses the tint, I think, varies considerably as i noticed i20's glasses appears darker than of Swifts.
With many cars stripped of films comparison is easier.

Last edited by rajeev k : 5th May 2012 at 23:32.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 23:27   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
AFAIK, there's no such thing called OEM sunfilm. Manufacturers provide tinted glass, the VLT of which cant be altered unless you use something like sunfilm.

Another side of the issue is that if people are allowed to use sunfilms, it will be misused to a certain extent especially in village areas where the no. of cops are less and even if they stop some vehicles they will have to let them go since they don't have any instrument to accurately measure the VLT. With the manufacturers, there's no worry. They will never install glasses with illegal VLT in cars. So if sunfilms are banned, no such concerns.

But then why not ban the production of sunfilms that have less than 50% VLT for vehicles? That should solve the problem I guess.
Correct, but what I meant was tinted glass provided by manufacturers. For example, my Beat's Glass has a stamp saying 70%, on getting it checked using a proper instrument the values read as 78%, with 30% UV.

Banning production of sunfilms less than 50% is definitely an apt verdict rather than banning sunfilms altogether. Completely agree with you there.
Old 5th May 2012, 23:36   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Good that you followed the law. But you could have waited for some more days to know the reaction on this. I didn't see cops searching vehicle for tints. Even i saw some police vehicles with sun-film. What is your plan if govt says you can use the old 70/50 sun-films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Nope, Ban "men" from traveling/drive a 4wheeler

I think you should have waited for few more days, am just holding on for now. its just about a month now since i got films installed
Spoke to one cop and he said that they are told to hold on for 15 days to give people time and then go ahead for a massive crackdown.So thought if after 15 days anyways I have to do it then rather lets get it done now and get used to this nude feel in the next 15 days.

EDIT: This news just got confirmed from a Times of India reporter friend of mine:
The court banned use of black films of any visible light transmission (VLT) percentage or any other material on the front and rear screens and windows of all vehicles throughout the country.

so whoever was confused and thought 50% and 70% is allowed then sorry to disappoint them

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 5th May 2012 at 23:43.
Old 5th May 2012, 23:45   #745
Senior - BHPian

I am reading about posts about banglaore etc where people have been fined for the films.How come this epidemic not spread to Mumbai yet.I am feeling frustrated and confused as to whether to skin off the film or continue waiting for a few more days and see if there is some sort of respite.

All my neigbours cars had gone out and have come back with their sun films intact.I did not even drive the car as i usually do on weekends and i am getting inclined to peel the sun film and save myself the agony as to what to do.Even if Garware,v-kool might appeal what i failed to understand how they waited till the matter reached the supreme court.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 5th May 2012 at 23:47.
Old 5th May 2012, 23:53   #746
BHPian

Well the Goa police are gearing up to follow the SC order on banning use of sunfilm!Lets see how well the RTO guys do their duty!
RTO launches drive against extreme tints - The Times of India

Insert from the article=="We are regularly booking cases against those who have tinted glasses beyond permissible limits. We will continue to strictly enforce this,"
What does the SP mean by continuing this?? According to the Supreme Court there should be no film on the glass, whatever the VLT!! blanket ban!! Will they only check for black films,<50% VLT??Normal 50% on sides & 70% on front & rear will be allowed??

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 5th May 2012 at 23:56.
Old 6th May 2012, 00:24   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Please don't take this post in wrong way - I am no way suggesting to break the law. I am suggesting these accessory as I use them while my car is parked for protecting against theft hazard. Please remove them and keep it in boot/rear seat before driving!
But then you can use these sticky's while driving as the law says that you cant have any kind of films. I drive everyday with these sticky's and never faced any problem. To top it all, as you might know chandigarh police is very strict when it comes to all this, but even they were fooled and apologized to me for stooping me thinking i have a tinted glasses where as i was driving with these on. So i guess till the time things settle down, we guys can use these cheap "jugaad" to save ourself from heat.
Old 6th May 2012, 00:27   #748
BHPian

Oh God, just drove back from a friend's house in Hebbal to E-city. While going it was a different pain of getting 100% sunlight at 3pm, and while comming, it looked as light is comminng from all sides into my car at 11:30pm on outer ring road. Man!!! how will I drive with this? Guess I have to pick one anti glare glass for my eyes now.

OT: Yesterday I took a picture of one IPS, ACP ranked officer's white amby in HSR Layout, with all black tint, thinking of sending it to press, what do you think friends?
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 00:36   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
No more tints on my Santro, finally got them removed today.

The sides were done at ease by using the normal water and soap solution with a blade,
But the guy refused to do anything to the rear glass apart from ripping off the film
the reason was the Defogger.
Now the rear glass has glue all over it.
Tried removing it with thinner, but no success :(

What do i do now ?
Use a pencil eraser-same as the kids use in school to rub off pencil marks.
Will take some time but works.
Kamal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 00:51   #750
BHPian

Major crackdown on the outer ring road from soami nagar right upto savitri cinema at noon today.Things seem to really hotting up.
Here's the latest post by Mr Satyendra Garg, Jt Comm Traffic on the DTP Facebook page-

Quote:
Delhi Traffic Police

12 hours ago

QUERIES AND QUERIES ON BLACK FILM. People are asking so many questions about films allowed on vehicles. Let me clarify once more. NO FILM OF ANY TRANSPARENCY IS ALLOWED. I thought that should be clear in a line. WHAT IS ALLOWED IS GLASSES BUILT BY MANUFACTURER WITH TRANSPARENCY LEVEL OF 70% FOR FRONT and rear glasses and 50% for side glasses. SO FILMS OF ANY KIND NOT ALLOWED. GLASSES PUT BY MANUFACTURER OF VEHICLE WITH PERMISSIBLE TRANSPARENCY ALLOWED. Hope this clarifies the issue. Now please abide by rules.
Satyendra Garg, Joint CP Traffic

Clearly, no signs of any let up/respite.
God, Plz help us!

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th May 2012 at 23:13. Reason: Formatting tags removed. Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed