Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 09:07   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Sorry if someone has already asked this before but I have been wondering as to how an average cop will make out if you have 70% VLT films installed? I have VK 70 on the front and rear window of my car and even I cannot make out if the film is there. I see only 2 ways forward from here:
1. The SC would most likely take back this RIDICULOUS judgement and allow 70 and 50% films respectively.
2. Prices of films like the VK 70 and CR 70 will spike up since a lot of people may opt for these to atleast protect themselves against the heat. No cop can make out the difference between 70 and 100% visibility.

All in all this is one of those episodes which makes you start doubting the wisdom of our judges. Just because you are entitled with the responsibility of delivering a judgement doesn't mean you do so even if you have no idea about the subject under discussion. Our country's climate makes it mandatory to have films on cars. The sad part is that everyone from the Police to the judiciary considers these films as tints and not heat rejection devices.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 09:10   #767
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Use a pencil eraser-same as the kids use in school to rub off pencil marks.
Will take some time but works.
This is the reason why I didnt put any sun film - the defogger wires get totally screwed if you have to remove the sun film - and you will need to get a new rear windshield.

The dealer tried his best to convince me that it wouldnt' destroy the defogger but to no avail.
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 09:17   #768
Senior - BHPian

Todays Bangalore news paper read out that BTP has given a 15 day deadline so that people can abide by the rule. So starting May 19th, They will take actions on Motorists who still have tinted glasses

But the funny part is, display signs on the Road say tinted glasses of certain percentage are allowed, but their facebook page says all types of tinted films are to be removed.. looks like they need 15 days to come to a conclusion among themselves.

Anyway, i have a 35% sun film and i guess I will have to remove it anyway. can anyone recommend a easy and clean way of removing it(DIY or trained man)
Old 6th May 2012, 09:30   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
This is the reason why I didnt put any sun film - the defogger wires get totally screwed if you have to remove the sun film - and you will need to get a new rear windshield.

The dealer tried his best to convince me that it wouldnt' destroy the defogger but to no avail.
Well thats not true. I have removed the tints on my figo from the rear defoggers twice! (once when replacing the 50% VLT with 20% VLT, and now removed the 20% VLT altogether because of this ruling! ), yet the defoggers are working and fine, and no I did not change the rear windshield.

It all depends on the brand. High quality ones like 3M,etc come of cleanly and leave no residual glue.
Old 6th May 2012, 09:52   #770
BANNED

Well, all my cars apart from the Safari Dicor are without Tints. I like them that way as the car looks NEW everytime i wash and wax it.

So its time to do the same on the Safari, But i prefer to wait until 15th of May 2012 before having them ripped off, as you are not sure what will happen with the govt., ruling, untill then i shall not use the Safari on road
Old 6th May 2012, 10:05   #771
Senior - BHPian

Times of India (New Delhi) 06/May/2012

Tint rap: Over 4,000 fined

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

New Delhi: As many as 4,199 vehicle owners were penalized for having tinted film on Saturday. Among these, 16 were government vehicles and nine were police cars.

“We will continue with this drive and hope people will get the message properly—the court ruling has to be followed properly,” said joint commissioner of police (traffic) Satyendra Garg.

The maximum violations were noted in south Delhi, where 1,403 offenders were brought to book; 969 violations were recorded in central Delhi; northern and western ranges 707 and 657 violations, respectively; and there were 463 cases in east Delhi. “No one was allowed to escape without a challan,” said JCP Garg. Challan teams were deputed across the city, and traffic cops were busy removing tinted film from cars.
Old 6th May 2012, 10:13   #772
Senior - BHPian

Any one tried the car sun shades ? which can be easily removed ?

Car Sun Shade | eBay

They even talk about blocking UV rays.. not sure . but only issue with them is they can be only used on rear side windows.

I surely need some alternative to beat the Indian summer
Old 6th May 2012, 11:00   #773
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Bangalore Traffic Police to give it's citizens enough time to remove the Sun-films unlike Delhi police who has gone on rampage from day 1. And they are also trying to reach people about this order by all means (FB page, Electronic Display, news paper). This is a good move by BTP and very reasonable too.
Although I'm hoping that by that SC will amend it's judgement and let us have films which are almost transparent but rejects heat and UV. Anyway, I'll have to remove my tints as they are bit on darker side although they said it's 65% VLT but feels like darker. Somehow I dunno why, now I'm feeling excited about removing the films and driving with all clear glasses.
kaushik_s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 11:20   #774
BHPian

I also read that this particular order gives the policemen power to impound the vehicle and/or remove the sunfilm. If this is true, God save us. Also read that the sunfilm companies are filing an appeal against this order. Hopefully we will get to hear something concrete before May 19.

Last edited by shivasuma : 6th May 2012 at 11:37.
Old 6th May 2012, 11:28   #775
Senior - BHPian

^^ As time is given till 19th of May, I think we've enough time in hand to remove the sun-films? Aren't we?
Yes, police can impound the vehicle if the owner disagrees to remove the tints.
Old 6th May 2012, 11:50   #776
BHPian

Since i travel a lot i got the sun films on 2 of my cars removed and tragedy struck the very next day.

Headunits from both my innova and swift are stolen. First i spent 25k + on putting sunfilms on innova and swift, then just following the law i remove them and what do i get? Damages accounting more than 80k.

The point to be stated is that i had VLT 70% tints all around in my cars which were not distinguishable in the first place, but still i got them removed as i was stopped yesterday once but had to make a couple of calls and i was let go.

All said and done i am not removing the tints from my civic. To hell goes the law. I am happy looking at my cars grounded rather than being robbed by some lunatics.
ramneek009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 12:06   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Headunits from both my innova and swift are stolen.
Oops!
feel really sorry!

Today, in my city, i purposefully asked traffic cop if i should remove sunfilm on windscreen on my car?
The cop was unware about SC order.
After giving him some gyaan on SC order, his reaction was surprising.
He told me that everyday, there is new rule, what should we cops do? control the traffic or clear the sunfilm?
As far as the cop is concerned, he will not stop the cars with sunfilm just to extract some money, actually he has no time to do that.
He said that there are so many two wheeler wala bakaras at any moment of time, he can stop 5 bikes in the same time spent on stopping a car.
Cops also think about time management while extracting money.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:15   #778
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
“We will continue with this drive and hope people will get the message properly—the court ruling has to be followed properly,” said joint commissioner of police (traffic) Satyendra Garg.
This is called opportunism! Initially I had tried to reason with him on his Facebook page, that his methods of earning revenue are not right! encouraging people to complain about each other's number plates, parking etc. based of mobile phone pictures and personal judgment. But it seems he's hitting higher targets for the police force every day, its a really sad state of affairs.

Actually its the failure of the same police force (Delhi) to not be able to catch the criminals/ rapists and make an example out of these, which has got matters to this irrational point, where they are starting to ban anything! AND then earning money from the public for their own failures, how low is that? and top of that Mr. Garg has the audacity to make such statements, of giving people the message!

BTW, why the VLT rule exists? It was always for the driver inside the car to see properly, so that he drives safe. It was never meant for anyone outside to look inside! The lawmakers or copiers at that time understood that if the intension of the parties inside the car was to hide and not be visible, they'll still be able to do it by using the a commercial vehicle, or hide inside the boot or some other means.

Last edited by SLK : 6th May 2012 at 12:21.
SLK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 12:33   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Since i travel a lot i got the sun films on 2 of my cars removed and tragedy struck the very next day.

Headunits from both my innova and swift are stolen. First i spent 25k + on putting sunfilms on innova and swift, then just following the law i remove them and what do i get? Damages accounting more than 80k.

The point to be stated is that i had VLT 70% tints all around in my cars which were not distinguishable in the first place, but still i got them removed as i was stopped yesterday once but had to make a couple of calls and i was let go.

All said and done i am not removing the tints from my civic. To hell goes the law. I am happy looking at my cars grounded rather than being robbed by some lunatics.
70% VLT films are almost indistinguishable from clear factory tinted glasses. How come you were stopped.
Is it that they are stopping each and everyone and checking if your glasses are stock or have even clear tints? I was under the impression that the whole rule is to make the car occupants and insides visible, and 70% VLT tints certainly do that as well.

Maybe this certainly going to be now a money minting excuse by the cops after all.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:42   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
70% VLT films are almost indistinguishable from clear factory tinted glasses. How come you were stopped.
Is it that they are stopping each and everyone and checking if your glasses are stock or have even clear tints? I was under the impression that the whole rule is to make the car occupants and insides visible, and 70% VLT tints certainly do that as well.

Maybe this certainly going to be now a money minting excuse by the cops after all.
Yes, they were stationed near a round about and were stopping each and every one. They had also put a barrier to make it easier for them to do their job.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed