Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 18:17   #796
BANNED

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Has anyone contacted any film manufactures via email/phone as what they are saying ?
3M INDIA Anyone tried contacting 3M ?

Last edited by unknown : 6th May 2012 at 18:23.
Old 6th May 2012, 18:40   #797
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well most of the pictures posted there are related to defective number plates, no helmets and red beacons. I feel all of these are punishable. So why not put the pics on FB and challan them. Its a great initiative specially for people who feel they are special. I haven't seen a single picture being added there which does not merit a challan. And it makes us also involved in improving the whole situation. All in all its a fantastic initiative.
You are missing the point. There have been numerous complaints on their facebook page that required action other than just issuing challans, a few related to Red Beacons were even actioned upon by trying to trace the cars but for all the others, there was nothing.

People with irregular number plates need to be fined, but there are much bigger/ serious complaints which are not actioned against and are hidden behind the number plate complaints being actioned.

They issue challans to even HR and UP numbered cars online, which never get to them! Do you think catching irregular number plates online, enough for the police force that does little on the field? Or "is doing something at least" the attitude?

Quote:
Its not like the DTP takes all that money home! If there is a violation of the law then that vehicle must be challaned. If not anything it atleast decreases the bribes people pay. And I am sure most if not all will mend there ways if regularly challaned.
True! its a good way of avoiding bribes. And I support increasing the challan amounts that hurt. BUT DTP is functioning on a salesman model, the salesman doesn't get money from what they sell, but they get appreciated and known for the targets they achieve.

Quote:
But then on the other hand they are indeed doing there duty. And what can be better than challan for sunfilms since almost 90% of the cars have it. They could have taken it easy but then they are not wrong either in enforcing it strictly.
There are 100 other rules that should be enforced strictly! and they didn't become applicable only on 4th May, they were always there. DTP chose to get only after the films rule, in full force rather than check for traffic signal violators in full force or any other life threatening rule breaches.

Sorry, I think this might be getting a bit now. All I was trying to say is that, DTP gladly took the opportunity to harass people, one may choose to see that as efficient/ active and give them credit for their efficiency, that is personal opinion.

Last edited by SLK : 6th May 2012 at 18:44.
Old 6th May 2012, 18:53   #798
BHPian

Am sure Garware and Birla (3M) are doing what they can already, it's a 200 crore industry, thousands of jobs at stake too, it cannot all be shut down because of one man's stupid PIL! Absolutely absurd decision!
Old 6th May 2012, 19:39   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul
Just saw 4 cops pounce upon a car with dark tints from all sides like heynas
I thought in Bangalore we had time till May 15th to take off the films. no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul
Looks like a major extortion drive...
Maybe they have a higher target this month
Old 6th May 2012, 19:44   #800
Senior - BHPian

Hope they do something soon, dont think the "janta' has realised yet!

on the "petition" still the number of people who have signed is in 800, i was thinking it might hit the "1000mark" sooner, seems like not many people mind removing the film??

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
Am sure Garware and Birla (3M) are doing what they can already, it's a 200 crore industry, thousands of jobs at stake too, it cannot all be shut down because of one man's stupid PIL! Absolutely absurd decision!
Old 6th May 2012, 19:45   #801
BHPian

My take:

- SC has no jurisdiction to pass such a judgement. Courts are there to interpret the law, so they should stick to that and leave law making to the parliament. Of late, judicial activism is on the rise, and that is dangerous.

- However, I like the judgement to an extend. Dark tints are a security threat. And they are not a necessity. If you think burqas should be banned in public, then why not dark tints? Those who value privacy more should rather sit at home.

In effect, the court did something (outside its jurisdiction) what the law makers should have done a long time ago.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 20:22   #802
BHPian

I have absolutely no issues with dark tints being banned, but that's not what they're doing right now! Even the ones with 70% visibility are being targeted which isn't right! My argument is that I have absolutely legal films installed that are certified by RTO, if they want me to rip them off, they have to compensate me!

Last edited by raamki : 6th May 2012 at 20:24.
raamki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 21:00   #803
BHPian

Sharing few snaps of the facebook page of Delhi Traffic Police (Satyendra Garg - Joint CP):

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-tp1.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-tp2.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-tp3.jpg

Cheers!
Irish
Old 6th May 2012, 21:02   #804
BHPian

Here is the full judgement text, as passed by the supreme court on 27 April 2012.

http://courtnic.nic.in/supremecourt/...c%2026511p.txt

After reading it i felt all peoples in India are committing crimes mentioned in the provided list.
By this new LAW black films are prohibited but it is not an issue to use manufacturer tints( Is it a movement against sunfilm manufacturers?)
It is banned in some other countries(Check the list of those). And not prevalent in some some places ( These are places where Sun control films are not required to avoid heat ) . The judge or petitioner has any relationship with our famous old king Mohammed Bin Thuglak who instead on makes foolish plans to tackle the country's problems that neither makes sense nor solve anything
Its time to get on roads for the protest.

Last edited by devil_klm : 6th May 2012 at 21:14.
Old 6th May 2012, 21:04   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Thanks jalex77.

My views about the ban withstanding, hope this does induce the manufacturers/ OEMs to provide tinted glass within the prescribed limit, at least as an optional accessory. Would be expensive thant the films, i guess, but would be better than having nothing.

Long back I remember seeing curtains in many cars (during the ambassador era). Looks that doesnt come under the purview of this judgement. Curtain time now?

I wonder what would happen to the luxury/ intercity buses especially the ones which ply during the day. All those volvos and mercs...
'Any other material' would mean curtians as well.
Old 6th May 2012, 21:17   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My take:

- Those who value privacy more should rather sit at home.

In effect, the court did something (outside its jurisdiction) what the law makers should have done a long time ago.
Sir sorry to disagree but I am ready to sit at home provided someone takes care of feeding me and my family.I have got severe sun allergy just driving to the airport and back today as I got my sunfilms removed yesterday.
Not to mention the millions in the sunfilm industry who will be losing their daily livelyhood.

Also are you ready to pay the damages cost by thieves to ramneek's headunits which were stolen as soon as he got the sunfilms removed.
Please read the quoted post below.This is not one off incidents.You will soon hear these kind of cases on the rise.

Rather than addressing the root cause you are just trying to get rid of the symptoms.

Sir you might be rough and tough but some people have kids and they cannot bear the harsh sun causing damage to their family. So before you generalize with statements like "those who value privacy more should rather sit at home" please give a thought for the lesser mortals like us who also fortunately or unfortunately happen to be your countrymen and would like to live comfortably in the same country, realize the fun of driving their cars without causing any problems to others and go on road trips happily.

It was not me or my family's fault that crimes happen in cars with tinted windows.So please don't make us suffer.There are lots of other situations where crimes happen, so guess you would support banning almost all of those too.
I am not blaming you for the SC ruling but the way you are strongly supporting it amuses me.

I would like to apologize if my thoughts offended you but I wrote all this with all pure intentions of a healthy discussion as to why I think this ruling does not make sense to me or the fellow bhpians who are cribbing and complaining and signing the petition against this ruling, like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramneek009 View Post
Since i travel a lot i got the sun films on 2 of my cars removed and tragedy struck the very next day.

Headunits from both my innova and swift are stolen. First i spent 25k + on putting sunfilms on innova and swift, then just following the law i remove them and what do i get? Damages accounting more than 80k.
Alter_Ego is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 21:23   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I am gonna put light curtains in my car. It is not pasted to the windscreen. If SC can take literal interpretation of rules, so can we.
I'm afraid that is not possible, Perhaps you might have only read paragraph 26 of the Order, Take a look at the next paragraph:

27. For the reasons afore-stated, we prohibit the use of black

films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the

safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of

all vehicles throughout the country.

And that means nothing absolutely, Not even a Doctor/Lawyer/Apartment Association sticker for that matter. I do believe someone will file an appeal this week itself, Till then I'm using the bike.

Last edited by jalex77 : 6th May 2012 at 21:27. Reason: correction
Old 6th May 2012, 21:28   #808
BHPian

I for one am against this decision. Why shouldn't I have the right to have tints? In this heat it is needed. Also, I have followed the law and put up 70/30 hints and running on it for 3 years. All these years these cops sat lazy and let the violaters go scott free. Now we should pay the price of the bad law enforcement? Why?

I have tints and I am not terrorist...

Last edited by GTO : 7th May 2012 at 11:07. Reason: Do NOT use inappropriate language, not even indirectly
mac187 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 21:30   #809
Senior - BHPian

Btw, is this ban only for four wheelers and above? What about the tinted fibre faring on my bike? Maybe I'm committing crime behind those (yes, i switch on the ignition and pollute the atmosphere )? Are they gonna ban them too?
Old 6th May 2012, 21:35   #810
Senior - BHPian

oh yaaa, what about the helmet wiser which are dark or reflective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Btw, is this ban only for four wheelers and above? What about the tinted fibre faring on my bike? Maybe I'm committing crime behind those (yes, i switch on the ignition and pollute the atmosphere )? Are they gonna ban them too?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks