Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 08:04   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I saw a Kerala High Court judge's official car (Corolla) with pretty dark sun film today at the Cochin airport. Wanted to take a picture, but did not have the camera handy.
Almost all the cars have dark tints. Here's one.

BTW, police have started their drive against tints atleast in some parts of Cochin. My friends saw them crossing the tints with a blade so that the owners will be forced to remove the tints. This was witnessed in Thoppumpady.
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-img01268201201171738.jpg  

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-img00830201110191735.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 08:31   #827
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

None of my cars in my home have tints and I really dont like them either.

So ban on tints does not make any difference to me at all. But it should be applicable for all. It should not be that the High court Judge,VVIP and MLA cars are except from the ban.

During my stint in the middle east I clearly remember that the number of cars with dark tints on were extremely rare despite the extreme heat. I really wonder why. Does any one have a clue?
Old 7th May 2012, 08:31   #828
BHPian

I think that the worst affected by this grand plan are our Cops!

We already have an acute shortage of man-power in the dept. The few of them left are busy trying protect our elite netas and now this. Stand in the mid-day sun in the middle of summer to challan every single vehicle that passes by. Definitely not a fun thing to do.

Before passing the judgement, did our Hon'ble Supreme Court Judge pay any thoughts to the implementation plan? How they intend to roll this out et al?

For me, the idea is just another excuse to cover up for Delhi Police's incapability to catch criminals. Anyways, since they are so busy protecting those same people, I wonder how they can impart their actual duty. Its kind of a vicious loop.

The judgement is passed & implemented in mid summer. The people are being harassed and the cops as well. If I made such a judgement, I wouldnt feel too secure with all the hostilities around.

On a different note: Most of us were complying with the CMVR regulations on the 70/50 rule. Now that we are being forced to remove these due to a sudden mood swing of our judiciary, should we be not compensated for the change. Most of us would have paid anywhere above 6k on these sunfilms. We were complying with the regulations. Then why wouldnt the govt compensate our loss? We loose out on our well earned money for which we have already paid taxes, we get exposed to UV rays, we foot a larger fuel bill, we get mugged/robbed. Not very sure/clear about the message the Govt is trying to pass to us! I would like to meet that section of the Janata which is mentioned in the decree " Jan Heet Mein Jaari" ..
Old 7th May 2012, 08:45   #829
BHPian

I uncondtionally support and hope that the ban on tinted glasses in automobiles is enforced. Although elsewhere, very light shades are permitted which makes this particular rule unique to India. Despite that, I feel that there is more to be gained than lost from it. This ban could potentially bring the number of related accidents down.

In my experience, visibility comes down drastically and wouldn't mind throwing on a full sleeves if skin burn was a concern. FYI, this rule is in force in the Middle East as well. Lets not forget that, it makes it difficult/impossible to identify occupants of a car that is sporting tinted glasses in the case of an accident or a hit and run. Rather skin burn than risking death, don't you ?

Strangely, there is no ban(not enforced) on the use of dark sun glasses(eyes) whilst driving/riding.

Last edited by vinu_h : 7th May 2012 at 08:53.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:08   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Sir sorry to disagree but I am ready to sit at home provided someone takes care of feeding me and my family.I have got severe sun allergy just driving to the airport and back today as I got my sunfilms removed yesterday.
Not to mention the millions in the sunfilm industry who will be losing their daily livelyhood.

Also are you ready to pay the damages cost by thieves to ramneek's headunits which were stolen as soon as he got the sunfilms removed.
Please read the quoted post below.This is not one off incidents.You will soon hear these kind of cases on the rise.

Rather than addressing the root cause you are just trying to get rid of the symptoms.

Sir you might be rough and tough but some people have kids and they cannot bear the harsh sun causing damage to their family. So before you generalize with statements like "those who value privacy more should rather sit at home" please give a thought for the lesser mortals like us who also fortunately or unfortunately happen to be your countrymen and would like to live comfortably in the same country, realize the fun of driving their cars without causing any problems to others and go on road trips happily.

It was not me or my family's fault that crimes happen in cars with tinted windows.So please don't make us suffer.There are lots of other situations where crimes happen, so guess you would support banning almost all of those too.
I am not blaming you for the SC ruling but the way you are strongly supporting it amuses me.

I would like to apologize if my thoughts offended you but I wrote all this with all pure intentions of a healthy discussion as to why I think this ruling does not make sense to me or the fellow bhpians who are cribbing and complaining and signing the petition against this ruling, like me.
When I say "people who value privacy", I am talking about people who have an allergy to the public, not allergy to sun. If you read the judgement carefully, you will see that the ban is proposed because of people putting extremely black tints beyond permitted limits. It is also suggested that manufacturers can provide tints on the windscreens that does not violate the 70/50 rule. So wait for a few months and if the court judgement stays, car manufacturers would provide such tints as an option.

Last edited by civic-sense : 7th May 2012 at 09:11.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:15   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
When I say "people who value privacy", I am talking about people who has an allergy to the public, not allergy to sun. If you read the judgement carefully, you will see that the ban is proposed because of people putting extremely black tints. It is also suggested that manufacturers can provide tints on the windscreens that does not violate the 70/50 rule and it would be just fine. So wait for a few months and if the court judgement stays, car manufacturers would provide tints as an option.
but what about those who purchased cars long back.Should we shell more and take the cars back to the manufacturer to get the tinted glasses?

I would rather hope that the court allows the RTO approved sun films else the whole concept of RTOs and other govt organisations is a farce if supreme court wants to get fancy.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:18   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Strangely, there is no ban(not enforced) on the use of dark sun glasses(eyes) whilst driving/riding.
How does wearing dark sun glasses affect anybody's safety? In this sweltering hot afternoon, what wrong can i do if i wear dark sun glasses while driving, it provides such a relief to eyes? I havent seen a single soul wearing dark sun glass while driving at night so safety isnt a concern here.

Last edited by GTO : 8th May 2012 at 12:53. Reason: Attack the post, not the person.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:19   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
It has more wider meaning and not just that I'm afraid dear sir. Try this one for instance
Upon: in or into complete or approximate contact with Upon | Define Upon at Dictionary.com.
So anyone touching/blocking the window for more than x milliseconds is liable to be fined ?

Maybe the next requirement would be for people sitting near the windows of the car to be transparent so as to not interfere with the VLT.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:24   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post

Could you name a country that has the ban of shades whlie driving/riding?

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th May 2012 at 09:31.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:25   #835
Senior - BHPian

As someone said, if you were following the rules with the permitted values for VLT, why should you force them to remove them?

Court judgements should affect people who violate laws. In this case, its un-necessary activism. The judiciary is unable (!) to make the maintainers of law and order act and its penalizing the innocent.

How much time and money was spent on this whole exercise?

Last edited by srishiva : 7th May 2012 at 09:27.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:26   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
but what about those who purchased cars long back.Should we shell more and take the cars back to the manufacturer to get the tinted glasses?
A solution nevertheless, not an economical one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
As someone said, if you were following the rules with the permitted values for VLT, why should you force them to remove them?
The courts reasoning is that equipment needed for checking the transparency are too expensive. So it says that manufacturers could provide tints and no films should be applied aftermarket. Makes sense, but I still don't think its their job to legislate.

Last edited by civic-sense : 7th May 2012 at 09:35.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:27   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
BTW I never understood why they have a 50% criteria for the sides and 70% for the front and rear, if crime is what they are trying to prevent.
The CMVR does not specify rules to prevent crime, but to ensure safe driving and motor use. The frontal and rear visibility is critical whereas side visibility is of lesser impact to driving esp at night.

Like I posted in the other 'petition' thread, if we have periodic checks and certificates for Pollution, why can't they institute a similar mechanism for film VLT and good condition - maybe once a year. The police are able to ask for a VLT certificate. What is the need for the police to carry a luxometer all the time ? They could just do some surprise checks to catch any 'tampering'...
Old 7th May 2012, 09:27   #838
BHPian

I like
a. Am now a law abiding citized again.

b. Did a DIY of removing the sun films from my car yesterday.
I must say, 4.5 yrs of being on, the film had gotten hard. But did not have an issue in peeling it off. For the adhesive that remained, used a razor blade on wet screen and the results were good.

I don't like
a. Today when I drove to office, the sunlight on my left thigh seemed to be rather strong. And this was at 7.45am. If I had to drive at say 3pm, I'd probably bake.

b. The contents of my car are now glaringly visible outside when parked (can buy foldable screens)

c. This ...
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-image.jpg

Last edited by karpusv : 7th May 2012 at 09:30.
karpusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 09:28   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Seriously? You think such a thing can come or should come, am amazed

How does wearing dark sun glasses affect anybody's safety? In this sweltering hot afternoon, what wrong can i do if i wear dark sun glasses while driving, it provides such a relief to eyes? I havent seen a single soul wearing dark sun glass while driving at night so safety isnt a concern here.

Why not make rules for everything, ban cars greater than 1000cc, no speed, no accident, ban windows so that every one can see inside and even make rules on what men/women should wear, lets live like slaves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Could you name a country that the ban of shades whlie driving/riding?

Cheers!
I couldn't. I used to drive with dark sun glasses on in the UK, so I know that it is ok to use it while driving. I'm simply suggesting that dark sun glasses are not very different from dark tinted windshields in the context of visibility. Just so that you know, I ain't advocating a ban on the use of dark/light sun glasses while driving.

Last edited by vinu_h : 7th May 2012 at 09:54.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:44   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
I like
a. Am now a law abiding citized again.

b. Did a DIY of removing the sun films from my car yesterday.
I must say, 4.5 yrs of being on, the film had gotten hard. But did not have an issue in peeling it off. For the adhesive that remained, used a razor blade on wet screen and the results were good.

I don't like
a. Today when I drove to office, the sunlight on my left thigh seemed to be rather strong. And this was at 7.45am. If I had to drive at say 3pm, I'd probably bake.

b. The contents of my car are now glaringly visible outside when parked (can buy foldable screens)

c. This ...
Wow, I can count like 4 cars with literally opaque tints in that picture! (including the most obvious one...) Strangely, I went out yesterday for a bit and noticed that there are still cars with tints in Delhi, albeit much lighter ones - came across very very few with absolutely black windows. Think people are taking this law quite seriously.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed