Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 09:48   #841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Wow, I can count like 4 cars with literally opaque tints in that picture! (including the most obvious one...) Strangely, I went out yesterday for a bit and noticed that there are still cars with tints in Delhi, albeit much lighter ones - came across very very few with absolutely black windows. Think people are taking this law quite seriously.
So this law has been applied in Delhi? Any incidents of cops stopping on the way? Not sure about Bangalore, as cops are busy these days checking for seat belts, also noticed a unique way of catching people, the cops have digicams and they stand in front of the offending car take a picture. I hope they say "Cheese"
Old 7th May 2012, 09:55   #842
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The courts reasoning is that equipment needed for checking the transparency are too expensive. So it says that manufacturers could provide tints and no films should be applied aftermarket. Makes sense, but I still don't think its their job to legislate.
agree, why are courts passing laws. Ask govt to buy equipment. we pay lakhs in taxes to use the car, why cant they buy equipment to check it.
Old 7th May 2012, 09:56   #843
BANNED

On a lighter note. Mafia glasses are out, how much has it reduced the mafia menace? Maybe the Mafiosi will all get exemptions. We should watch the media very closely to see the results. I doubt whether there will be any effect.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 10:13   #844
BHPian

Don't know if this has been shared in the thread before, here's a link which looks like from the guy who raised the PIL which lead to this ban.
SAVE AAM ADMI

Have a look at some of their arguments, very childish!
Quote:
F) MONITORING OF COMPLIANCE TO THE 50%/70% CLAUSE BECOMES NON IMPLEMENTABLE DUE TO FOLLOWING FACTORS : -
1) LOWEST ALLOCATION OF POLICE TO POPULATION AS PER INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS.
2) HIGH RATE OF GROWTH OF VEHICLES.
3) NEGLIGIBLE AVAILABILITY OF THE DEVICE (LUXOMETER) TO CHECK VISIBILITY
Quote:
Z4) SOME CAR OWNERS COMPLAIN THAT TINTED GLASS CONTRIBUTE TO THE COOLING OF VEHICLES - BUT FIRSTLY ONLY THOSE WHO USE AIR CONDITIONING DO PULL UP THE GLASSES & AIR CONDITIONING PROVIDES COOLING ANY WAYS & FURTHER IF COOLING WAS AN ISSUE, THEN ONLY SILVER & WHITE CARS WOULD HAVE SOLD, SINCE THEY ABSORB THE LEAST HEAT AND ALSO INCREASE NIGHT VISIBILITY OF VEHICLE, HENCE MAKING THEM LEAST PRONE TO ACCIDENTS !!
jingaboysr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 10:17   #845
Senior - BHPian

There are some people who are definitely not willing to take any chances whatsoever , Lajpat Nagar roads were covered in black yesterday evening at around 5 PM with films , long line of cars outside all the shops there getting them removed.

Also , then again this morning , at the same location , police patrol had stopped about 4-5 cars and were talking to them about the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
On a lighter note. Mafia glasses are out, how much has it reduced the mafia menace? Maybe the Mafiosi will all get exemptions. We should watch the media very closely to see the results. I doubt whether there will be any effect.
Old 7th May 2012, 10:20   #846
Team-BHP Support

I popped into 3M yesterday. No information on any appeals or stay order. Only directive to fit CR70/CR50 film as applicable
Old 7th May 2012, 10:20   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
So this law has been applied in Delhi? Any incidents of cops stopping on the way? Not sure about Bangalore, as cops are busy these days checking for seat belts, also noticed a unique way of catching people, the cops have digicams and they stand in front of the offending car take a picture. I hope they say "Cheese"
Hahahaha.. thats hilarious. I didnt see any checking yesterday, but perhaps being a Sunday - everyone was taking some time off. I cant really say otherwise, as I've been home for about 4 weeks recovering from Hep.A, and another 2 weeks to go. Looks like my cars safe for the time being, maybe there will be a stay before I can get out!
Old 7th May 2012, 10:25   #848
BHPian

It has started in Pune as well. 544 vehicle owners fined in the last 6 days.
Tinted glass: 544 vehicle owners fined - The Times of India
The article says cops are only targeting illegal tints.
If this brings down crimes and other illegal activities committed in cars I am all for it and am ready to compromise on my personal convenience.
crazyro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 10:28   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick
also noticed a unique way of catching people, the cops have digicams and they stand in front of the offending car take a picture.
This has been the modus operandi of Hyderabad Traffic Police for ~2 years now.

Their FB page with awareness, tips, notifications/alerts crowd-sourced violation reporting is also very popular.

Regards,
spadix
Old 7th May 2012, 10:33   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
If this brings down crimes and other illegal activities committed in cars I am all for it and am ready to compromise on my personal convenience.
Thanks for sharing crazyro, but you see the problem now is that all tints are illegal!

I'm so worried about my tints now.
Old 7th May 2012, 10:37   #851
BHPian

Came across this article in today's Times Of India- Pune edition:

Tinted glass: 544 vehicle owners fined
TNN | May 7, 2012, 12.09AM IST
PUNE: The traffic branch of the Pune police took action against 544 vehicles in the last six days, in a drive against vehicles with tinted film exceeding the permissible limits. The police have collected fine worth Rs 60,000 from vehicle owners.

Use of dark or black glasses in not permitted as per law. Rule 100 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, states that the glass of the windscreen and rear window of motor vehicles should have a visibility of at least 70% and that of the side window, a minimum of 50%.

Recently, the bench of Chief Justice S H Kapadia and Justices A K Patnaik and Swatanter Kumar went by the limits prescribed and said anything beyond that would be punishable. The decision came on a PIL filed by Avishek Goenka, who had complained that cars with black film on window panes were being increasingly used for crimes, including assaults on women.

Against the backdrop of the Supreme Court decision, the traffic branch of Pune police has started taking action against the offenders. The drive against began on April 30. "Till May, 5 we filed cases against 544 vehicles and collected fine worth Rs 60,000," said deputy commissioner of police (traffic) Vishwas Pandhare.

The drive was conducted at various spots in the city located in the jurisdictions of Sahakarnagar, Swargate, Khadak, Kothurd, Deccan Gymkhana, Sangvi, Yerawada, Vishratnwadi and Koregaon Park police stations.

The police are also checking vehicles plying on highways, which pass through the city limits.

The traffic branch has six tintometers to estimate the intensity of black films used in the cars by comparing it with the permissible limit.

The tintometers were presented to the traffic branch by the Shrimant Dagadusheth Halwai Ganpati trust.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ow/13026296.cm

So to add to the confusion:
SC says NO sun film of any kind. Pune cops are adhering to 70% and 50% visibility. Works out well for us here in Pune I guess.
Tintometers with cops in Pune Thats a first.
kingofkings is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 10:41   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Finally the drive seems to have started in other States & Cities as well.

But very relieved to know that in Pune Traffic Police are targeting only the Black & Illegal (less that 50% visibility) Tints.

I took my car out in western suburbs of Mumbai during last three days, there was heavy police checking (naka bandhi), but nobody was stopped for Black Tints.

Thus so far it seems that action is strict in Delhi & NCR only. In other states the rule will be implemented for only for illegal (dark tints).

Thanks,
Old 7th May 2012, 10:50   #853
BHPian

Here is the message of Mr. Satyendra Garg (Joint CP, Delhi) for the people, who use their 'influence', when they are stopped for any traffic rule violation (like tints in this case):

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-dtp1.jpg

Source: Facebook page of Delhi Traffic Police.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 7th May 2012 at 10:51.
Irish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 10:50   #854

I guess the Delhi cops are most active as of now. Got sun film removed from wife's i20 on sat morning. Dad's car got challan'd yesterday in Delhi near ITO even though it had a very light sun film, which now became illegal w.e.f May 04, 2012. Whether the order will stay or not only time will tell, but the DTP is all out making the most of it. Really appreciate the kind of sense B'lore Traffic Police has shown and given everyone 15 days to get the sun films removed before they start ripping apart the films n collecting challans.
fusion123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 10:56   #855
BHPian

Tha judgement says that no film should be on the car's glasses (window, front and rear). But if manufacturer provides the tinted glasses with prescribed limits, then that is the way to go.

This will force the manufacturer to provide tinted glasses as seen in high-end cars. And atleast police are spared to check for VLT of each car if sunfilm applied..

Im happy that such a ruling came. Sometimes, I could not see which vehicle is infront of the vehicle because of the sunfilms and is very difficult to check what's happening in front. Remvoing the sunfilms will atleast avoids some accidents...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed