Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 14:01   #871
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
Quick question: I am planning to get rid off my tints (3M) from my ANHC.
Can anyone suggest who can do the best job i.e. get it back to its "original" condition (no loss in shine and pefect finish is what I expect)
1.) Dealer
2.) 3M Guys
3.) Any local accessories shop?
Also how much it would cost me?
Please share your experiances here.
3M surprisingly is the easiest to remove of the lot. The glue residue is the least and needs very little scraping. I just got the tints removed from 2 cars. One had a Llumar and the other 3M. The LLumar took over 2 hours of scraping and left scratches on the glass. Whereas 3M required just peeling and one rub with soap wet cloth.

p.s. Paid Rs. 500/- in total for One Civic and One i10
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 14:01   #872
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Yesterday got rid of the tints from my Ikon for 300Rs from a local accessories shop.

Where did you do this?
Old 7th May 2012, 14:02   #873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
In BLR, the date extended to 16th May.
May 19th actually.

I will actually wait and watch until the 20th to see what eventually happens. I have a feeling some how or the other this rule might just be temporarily or indefinitely put on hold.

We haven't fit tints on our 2-year old City yet and a road trip to Nainital from Delhi last weekend really got uncomfortable in the afternoon - the a/c at blower position 2 wasn't effective and although it kept us cool, the direct sunlight rendered it useless.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 14:03   #874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
Quick question: I am planning to get rid off my tints (3M) from my ANHC.
Can anyone suggest who can do the best job i.e. get it back to its "
Please go through this thread if you have a rear defogger. I am worried as I have one.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...efogger-3.html
pramodpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 14:03   #875
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkings View Post
:
SC says NO sun film of any kind. Pune cops are adhering to 70% and 50% visibility. Works out well for us here in Pune I guess.
Tintometers with cops in Pune Thats a first.
Thanks for sharing the good news.

Usage of films like CR70 saves energy. It makes very little sense to place all films under one bracket. I hope authorities realizes this fact.
Old 7th May 2012, 14:11   #876
BHPian

Finally removed my Polo Film myself yesterday in 30 min. But leaving Innova as it has RE70 and RE50. Passed through couple of cops today from home to office but non of them stopped me. Though couple of cars were stopped by them having dark/visble tints. It was 11-12 pm from Shalimar Bagh to Gurgaon Ph-V from Sec -29.

Seems like Makers too worry now
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/299...om-may-19.aspx

The head of marketing of Garware Suncontrol Film, Amit Thanekar said, “According to all State high courts, the use of sun film with 70 percent Visual Light Transmission (VLT) for the front and rear windscreens and 50 percent for the side glasses is permitted. We are planning to appeal against the Supreme Court ruling. We might collectively take a stance against it with other industry players.”

Last edited by sam003 : 7th May 2012 at 14:34.
Old 7th May 2012, 14:14   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Where did you do this?
Go to any accessories shop near your place. They will be happy to serve you .
Old 7th May 2012, 14:15   #878
BHPian

Was going through the court ruling on the ban of sun films and point 1 states:

proper implementation of law in that behalf and finally, for taking stringent actions against the offenders, using vehicles with black filmed glasses. He also prays that a larger police force should be deputed to monitor such offences.

Why can't a larger police force be deputed to curb such offences from being carried out !!
Old 7th May 2012, 14:16   #879
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Usage of films like CR70 saves energy. It makes very little sense to place all films under one bracket. I hope authorities realizes this fact.
Definitely! Energy saving is one aspect, and health benefits are another key attribute to consider. Hope the authorities make sufficient amendments to the rule and make it transparent and more practical.

That said, it will be interesting to know how many have installed sun-films for its primary purpose – i.e.; heat rejection and protection from harmful UV rays. Quite a substantial percentage might have installed these films (1) to enhance the looks or (2) got it as a freebie from the car dealer.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 14:25   #880
BHPian

Question:

So, if I buy a new Skoda Rapid and ask Skoda (their dealer) to install 70% sun-film, does this constitute as legal tint?
Old 7th May 2012, 14:25   #881
BHPian

One solution could be setting up tint-test certification centers, like emission test. I agree, this adds one more level of corruption, but we have so many bigger slabs anyways and this is probably a small evil to live with?

So cops can check tint certificates (along with emission)?

Argument could be, the tint can be altered post certification (but thats a thing possible in emissions too!).
Old 7th May 2012, 14:27   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Question:

So, if I buy a new Skoda Rapid and ask Skoda (their dealer) to install 70% sun-film, does this constitute as legal tint?
No. No sunfilms are permitted. Only tinted glass supplied by manufacturer would be legal. Do not put any films now. Wait until this issue settles down and there is some clarity.
Old 7th May 2012, 14:30   #883
BHPian

Looks like some sense prevails still. Saw this news just now.

Sun film with extra tint should be removed from cars before May 19

Especially '
Deputy Commissioner of Police, East-Traffic division, Muthanna B.A., said that cars, at the time of delivery, will have a thin film on their windows and windshields, with the permissible level of tint. “Only this is allowed,” he said. Vehicle owners, who have added tint to stock windows and windshields after purchasing their vehicles, will have to remove them, he added.

According to a statement, vehicles will be allowed to have sun films with 70 per cent visual light transmission (VLT) for front and rear windscreens, and 50 per cent VLT for side glasses, under Rule 100 of Central Motor Vehicles Rule, 1989.'
Old 7th May 2012, 14:38   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Finally removed my Polo Film myself yesterday in 30 min. But leaving Innova as it has RE70 and RE50.
Hello Sam003,

I understand it would have been a painful decision to remove the Sumfilms from your Polo.

But you managed to remove the Sunfilm yourself within 30 minutes? This is quite surprising. How was the glass looking post removal of Sunfilm? I mean are any glue marks left on the glass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Looks like some sense prevails still. Saw this news just now.

Sun film with extra tint should be removed from cars before May 19

According to a statement, vehicles will be allowed to have sun films with 70 per cent visual light transmission (VLT) for front and rear windscreens, and 50 per cent VLT for side glasses, under Rule 100 of Central Motor Vehicles Rule, 1989.'
Hello 2cents,

This peice of news is really relieving. This means Banglore Traffic will allow Sunfilms which were earlier within legal limits. This is good news for people who have made sure to apply RTO approved sunflims on thier cars.

Thus in Banglore, only Car with dark Sunfilms need to worry, others can drive with peace of mind.

Thanks,
Old 7th May 2012, 14:43   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That said, it will be interesting to know how many have installed sun-films for its primary purpose – i.e.; heat rejection and protection from harmful UV rays. Quite a substantial percentage might have installed these films (1) to enhance the looks...
Well, you just brought out an additional benefit -the aesthetic aspect - of sunfilm!
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed