Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 11:29   #976
BANNED

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

@nitinbose; You are totally in tune with Mrs Dikshit and I ave a feeling that Mamata and even the Left may also be in tune!!
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 11:36   #977
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I would add to it. Let's ban use of all house hold knives. As, some of the knives being used for criminal purpose and it is dark spot in society.

Apart from car, there are many crimes happened inside home, flat also. Shall we ban uses of curtains and windows in house so that all of neighbours can peep inside and would have peaceful society life.

Still, there is no clarity on uses of Sunfilm. At one place Traffic ACP of Bangalore Mr. M. A. Saleem posted in facebook that 50% VLT for sides and 70% VLT for front and rear are the rules and everybody has to follow.

In another post, Bangalore Traffic Police posted, irrespective of visibility, you have to remove all kinds of sun films from car.

What is the rule? Somebody help me to understand, have to take decision before 15th.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:38   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@nitinbose; You are totally in tune with Mrs Dikshit and I ave a feeling that Mamata and even the Left may also be in tune!!

Just kiddling to make the mood light.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:46   #979
BHPian

I would love to see the comparison of how much crime has been reduced after the implementation of this rule.

And what if there is no reduction in it, can we say then its was a stupid thing to implement.

I think the higher authorities should also get covered under this rule, at least they can setup an example that they too are following it like the general public.

And of course I presume the honorable judges who implemented this rule are also the ones following it first.

Last edited by invincible7 : 8th May 2012 at 11:47.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:03   #980
BHPian

Following email I got from my company which was sent by ACP, TP, Bangalore
The Hon’ble Supreme Court of India in Writ Petition No: 265/2011 has prohibited the use of black films of any Visual Light Transmission or any other materials upon the safety glasses, wind screen (Front and Rear) and side glasses of all the vehicles throughout the country. Further, the Hon’ble Supreme Court has directed Police to ensure compliance with this direction. The direction contained in this judgment is operative and enforceable with effect from 04-05-2012.
Use of Black films upon the vehicles gives immunity to violators in committing crimes and is used as a tool of criminality, considerably increasing in criminal activities. At times, heinous crimes like dacoity, rape, murder, kidnapping and even terrorist acts are committed in or with the help of vehicles having black films pasted on side windows and on the screens of the vehicles. Use of black filmed glasses also leads to road accidents. It also prevents the traffic police from seeing the activity in the car and communicating with the driver of the vehicle.
In view of above, it is kindly requested that direction may be given to all the drivers of your esteemed organization to remove black films or any other tinted materials upon the wind screens (front and rear) and side glasses from their vehicles. Removal of black films from all the vehicles will help us to enforce Rule 100 of Motor Vehicle Rules 1989and also to comply with the directions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India.
Old 8th May 2012, 12:07   #981
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought, what if the filing of this petition was actually secretly initiated by the sun-film companies themselves?

Now the public will have a mass rush to remove the films and then after a few months the sun-film 'con'panies publicly file an appeal against this ruling.

Its a win-win situation for both the government and the companies. The government gets to fill its coffers with the fines people have to cough up and the sun-film companies make hay once the sun shines again.

Like I said, just a thought. Its not entirely impossible that this conspiracy theory is possible.

Last edited by praful : 8th May 2012 at 12:09.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 12:15   #982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mindgrinder : please stop giving this suggestion about that no other countries oogle women, its worse than India even in the States or Europe when it comes to letching, it's just that women there do not mind or ignore.
I suggest that you go back to my post, re-read the context and possible locations, and then think about the extent & how often this happens, and then comment. Of the possible locations referred to, there is still something called politeness where people respect other people's privacy and know how to behave in public places.

Remember, I have not said anywhere that "It happens only in India".

Last edited by condor : 8th May 2012 at 12:16.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 12:20   #983
BHPian

Didn't see anyone on my route today. Seems like drive slowed down in Delhi :-)
Old 8th May 2012, 12:23   #984
Senior - BHPian

Well i dont think so, since they come under "VIP" segment, i presume they maynot need to remove the tints.

this rule is specifically for all tax paying commoners

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I would love to see the comparison of how much crime has been reduced after the implementation of this rule.

And of course I presume the honorable judges who implemented this rule are also the ones following it first.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 12:26   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
In view of above, it is kindly requested that direction may be given to all the drivers of your esteemed organization to remove black films or any other tinted materials upon the wind screens (front and rear) and side glasses from their vehicles. Removal of black films from all the vehicles will help us to enforce Rule 100 of Motor Vehicle Rules 1989and also to comply with the directions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India.[/i]
The ACP's message is self contradictory. Rule 100 of CMV act does allow use of sun films within certain specified transparency levels. Then why does he mention black films or any other tinted materials need to be removed?
Old 8th May 2012, 12:36   #986
BHPian

SC order makes a difference between film vs glass. Any material of any transparency allowed. However if one wishes to have tints, then they can look for glass with specific tints and replace existing glasses!

I see one more pitfall out of this. If in case of accidents if if you ever lodge insurance claim, or anyone lodges against you (as third party), your insurer can refuse claim as such because you are not driving car as per rule! Sucks!

This means we law abiding citizens have no choice but face the heat! Sigh!
RaguHolla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 12:37   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
If the cops start enforcing the rule soon, we can expect a boom in sales of:
  • Sunglasses
  • Sunscreen lotion
  • Rear parcel trays
Good times ahead for some people, what say??

LOL !

Sunglasses might get banned too, unless they are 70 % visible to facilitate better visual communication between cops and drivers !
Old 8th May 2012, 12:47   #988
Senior - BHPian

Update: While going from Gurgaon (Sohna Road to Rohini)

1. Saw cops challaning people with films on Sohna Road (Opp. Ninex Mall, South City-2 Crossing) at 9:15 AM.

2. Saw cops removing the films (and challaning obviously) at Dhaula Kuan (while turning left on Ring Road towards Naraina) at 10:00 AM.

Suggestions for people with films (like me) who want to wait for a few days, hoping that this decision will be reverted back:

1. They should drive in extreme right lane.

2. If possible, should drive in office hours.

3. Should take the route with main roads where traffic cops can't afford to stop the cars causing heavy traffic jams.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 12:54   #989
BHPian

Apart from the privacy aspect, I thought they are very good an stopping the unwanted UV radiations? Do tinted glasses have the same feature. I could feel this difference when the CR film was put on my AStar at hyderabad. Prior to it, I could feel a burning sensation, where the skin was exposed to sunlight through the glass, while driving around at noon during summer.

Why is the SC or govt not directing the car companies to provide alternatives which includes the UV protection along with anti-glare and the tint levels?! They should provide discount for some time to encourage the public to move away from films!!

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 8th May 2012 at 13:21.
Old 8th May 2012, 13:08   #990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
.. I thought they are very good an stopping the unwanted UV radiations? Do tinted glasses have the same feature.
I dont think the glass will be capable of blocking UV, even if it is tinted. The right film is more likely to be capable of blocking UV rays.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks