Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 13:08   #991
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeKid View Post
Apart from the VLT value, does anyone know figures for parameters such as Total Solar Transmission, Solar Absorption, Visible Light Reflectance, Shading Coefficient, UV Rejection etc. on the Windshield, Rear and side Window glasses of stock cars? There are some value on the glasses, but I am not sure how to decode them.

Knowing this might help quantify the difference on removing sun films.

P.S - I searched a few threads on sun-filming, but could not get any data on this.
Since there was no response, I had to quote myself Does someone have information on this?

CFK
Old 8th May 2012, 13:23   #992
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I dont think the glass will be capable of blocking UV, even if it is tinted. The right film is more likely to be capable of blocking UV rays.
So, that should be a good reason to use Films, wouldn't it?
Old 8th May 2012, 13:28   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Just a thought, what if the filing of this petition was actually secretly initiated by the sun-film companies themselves?
I can vouch for the fact that the PIL was NOT filled by sun-film companies. Period

How do I know? Well, this dude has multiple PILs to his credit and even went too extreme to file a PIL urging the government to conduct elections during winter season

Please see for yourself : SAVE AAM ADMI
Old 8th May 2012, 13:37   #994
BHPian

I will wait and watch for sometime and will not remove my car's film which blocks just 30 % visibility. Will use bike to office.

In case if I need to use car, I will roll down all 4 windows and drive, so that Cops cannot identify immediately. Cannot do any thing for rear glass.

You guys can also use same trick, but some car's rear windows will not roll down fully.
Old 8th May 2012, 13:45   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I can vouch for the fact that the PIL was NOT filled by sun-film companies. Period

How do I know? Well, this dude has multiple PILs to his credit and even went too extreme to file a PIL urging the government to conduct elections during winter season

Please see for yourself : SAVE AAM ADMI
How can you vouch for someone you don't know personally?

How can you say that sun-film companies can not contact this person who has history of filing baseless PILs and offer him money to file such PIL?

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 8th May 2012 at 13:46.
Old 8th May 2012, 14:24   #996
BHPian

UPDATE:

No police checking on Dwarka Road no 201 going towards airport. Same goes for Azad Hind Fauj Marg (Coming from Dwarka mode). 'Enforcer' vehicles spotted going towards Sector 6-9.Be wary of barricades just before markets. These are regular policemen & not Traffic police.

Traffic police present b/w Dabri more & C-1 Janakpuri traffic signal. Be cautious.

Last edited by JustCause : 8th May 2012 at 14:25.
Old 8th May 2012, 14:35   #997
BHPian

I hope this thread is not being monitored by the traffic cops .

Have not seen much activity in Kolkata during the last few days.

SD
Old 8th May 2012, 14:45   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Suggestions for people with films (like me) who want to wait for a few days, hoping that this decision will be reverted back....
Or rather, why not to drive with all window panes lowered

Note from Support: Quoted text shortened. Please avoid quoting a full post since it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 8th May 2012 at 15:34.
Old 8th May 2012, 14:45   #999
BHPian

On a lighter note Now ive decided to buy a two wheeler and use that till the judgement is reversed :

I think others who are having expensive films should try the same. The net cost of sunfilms can equate to the price of a 2nd hand two wheeler especially those having cr70 films from 3m.

The PIL is bogus. Maybe the person wants to be famous and in the hopes of that he files 100s of PILs hoping atleast one strikes a chord and he becomes famous :rofl:

Instead of tinted glasses, why not use photochromatic glasses like in spectacles. Sun protection during day and best visibility at night too without glare.

So far in bangalore Im seeing fully blacked out cars which arent getting challaned as of now. Wonder how they drive with the rear windhsield fully blacked out and orvms closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSD
I hope this thread is not being monitored by the traffic cops .

Have not seen much activity in Kolkata during the last few days.

SD
I guess making this thread private only to members should help

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 8th May 2012 at 14:50.
Old 8th May 2012, 15:17   #1000
BHPian

At last went ahead and removed sunfilm in a local accessory shop.
Paid - Rs 250

Additional damage is 9.5K

This damage have no direct link with removal of the film. After removing the tint I could see the seats from outside which looks horrible due to my negligence in giving right attention to cold drink splill kid's crayon art etc.

Suddennly felt the need of a seat cover and paid 9.5 for a fairly good seat cover .
Old 8th May 2012, 15:18   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Well i dont think so, since they come under "VIP" segment, i presume they maynot need to remove the tints.

this rule is specifically for all tax paying commoners
Per the judgement, only VIPs of Z/Z+ security and the like may be exempted on their "official" vehicles.

And if I remember right, Z/Z+ is almost to the Chief Ministerial level.. people who can banish the checking officer on the spot!

who would dare to check them official or unofficial, when lucrative aam aadmi is around!
Old 8th May 2012, 15:44   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Traffic police present b/w Dabri more & C-1 Janakpuri traffic signal. Be cautious.
UPDATE: Today went from dwarka sector-1 to vikaspuri, and back, via C-1 and dabri.

I went there in morning around 11 and came back just couple of minutes before, no cops or some sort of activity on whole route.

Sameer
Old 8th May 2012, 16:11   #1003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
How can you vouch for someone you don't know personally?

How can you say that sun-film companies can not contact this person who has history of filing baseless PILs and offer him money to file such PIL?
Well the supreme court sure didn't consider the PIL to be baseless for sure

I guess you are talking about large business groups with vested interests wielding a lot of power in govt. policy making. But the courts simply interpret the law. There are a lot of laws in our country that are there on paper and nobody really takes it seriously. For e.g The speed limits mentioned on many highways is at times 40 or 60 or 80. People hardly care to slow down. Tomorrow the supreme court can give the verdict that the maximum permissible speed on any road in India is 80 kmph , so all motor vehicles should come prefitted with speed governors which will ensure that everyone abides by the 'Law'.

But then I don't understand why you think Sun film companies themselves would offer money to someone to file a PIL that goes against their business interest?
Old 8th May 2012, 16:15   #1004
Senior - BHPian

people who have expensive music systems, will now be displaying it to thieves. I usually carry my laptops for meetings and most of the time i just leave them in my car, now thieves can do a bit of window shopping and break in to steel stuff

Off topic: wasn't such a rule implemented couple of years back? I had removed my tints in Delhi during 2007. i am sure, this rule would be put on hold.

Till then my car would be parked in safety of my house.

Pramod
Old 8th May 2012, 16:41   #1005
BHPian

Can the Supreme court make it MANDATORY for all car manufacturers to have 70% VLT tinted glasses for all cars, irrespective of segment / category? This could solve the problem. But this may push the price up but not sure by how much. Thoughts?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed