Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 16:48   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
On a lighter note Now ive decided to buy a two wheeler and use that till the judgement is reversed :

I think others who are having expensive films should try the same. The net cost of sunfilms can equate to the price of a 2nd hand two wheeler especially those having cr70 films from 3m.

Instead of tinted glasses, why not use photochromatic glasses like in spectacles. Sun protection during day and best visibility at night too without glare.

I guess making this thread private only to members should help
Hope that was a joke Price of such glasses would be exorbitant for common man and I doubt if its even available.
Old 8th May 2012, 16:55   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Can the Supreme court make it MANDATORY for all car manufacturers to have 70% VLT tinted glasses for all cars, irrespective of segment / category? This could solve the problem. But this may push the price up but not sure by how much. Thoughts?
This solves the problem for new cars. What about cars already on road? The judgement doesn't answer this.
I hope somebody doesn't file another PIL to get all headlights half-black painted.
Old 8th May 2012, 17:22   #1008
BHPian

Rebut by petitioner ... Must read

RESPECTED SIRS,

THIS IS TO DRAW YOUR VALUABLE ATTENTION, TOWARDS THE UNFOUNDED FEARS AMONG SOME OF CAR OWNERS, REGARDING THE VEHICLE BEING HEATED DUE TO ABSENCE OF BLACK FILMS AND OTHER APPREHENSIONS TOO AND HENCE I AM EXTENDING SOME NOTEWORTHY POINTS WHICH CAN EFFECTIVELY COUNTER THE APPREHENSIONS BEING EXPRESSED AGAINST THE MOVE TO BAN BLACK FILMS ON VEHICLE GLASSES AND THE SAME CAN BE SHARED IN THE FACEBOOK PAGES OF THE RESPECTIVE POLICE AUTHORITIES !!

*****BLACK FILM BAN - CLARIFICATIONS (PLEASE SHARE TO EDUCATE OTHERS) !!
1)) BLACK FILMS CONTRIBUTE TO COOLING OF VEHICLES - but firstly only those who use air conditioning, do pull up the glasses & air conditioning provides cooling any ways & further if cooling was an issue, then only silver & white cars would have sold, since they not only absorb the least heat and also increase night visibility of vehicles, hence making them least prone to accidents !! Further black films on glasses have been banned, but coloured glasses complying to (70%) front & (50%) side visibility are allowed.
2)) PRIVACY IS HAMPERED - privacy is about private places like homes & hotels, but not public places like roads.
3)) LAP TOPS & STEREO SYSTEMS ARE VISIBLE - both are portable devices & either can be carried at ease, to home or office or hidden beneath the car seats. It will also prevent the thief from opening the car out of curiosity as happens in case of heavy tinted glasses.
4)) WOMEN ARE UNSAFE WHILE DRIVING AT NIGHT - safety in public places is hampered because of factors which prevent public glare & not because of factors which ensure transparency. Only when there is absence of public glare - mobile phone conversation//drinking//immoral activity//movement of criminals//movement of illegal material//rape//molestation//k
idnapping - is facilitated. Any illegal activity happening in presence of transparency, is an exception hence not universally followed.
Measures are adopted keeping the universal norms in mind & not exceptions. Just because (1) person survived a free fall from a high rise, others too do not make a bee line.
5)) CAR DECOR SHOPS WILL FACE DROP IN PROFITS - business will flow from selling coloured glasses instead of black films ... tomorrow if shops selling adulterated milk are shut will we protest ?? If these shops would not have mushroomed and sold illegal films in threatening proportions - the need of invoking a ban on black films, would not have arised.

Your’s Faithfully,
Avishek Goenka
(Petitioner).
svkndv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 17:27   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Is this serious?? I have just installed solar gard sunfilms for my car and spent about 5k! The dealer did say that this is within the permissible limits set by the RTO. I thought these Supreme court judges were a bit rational! In a country like India where temperatures are consistently about 35'c, and where covered parking is sometimes a luxury, especially in metros, I think this ruling is absurd! The judges will still have sunfilms in their cars though, citing themselves as VVIPs!
Old 8th May 2012, 17:28   #1010
Senior - BHPian

Agree during day time sunfilm affects visibility to track crime, but at night do the police expect people to drive with lights on inside the cabin. This judgement of supreme court is very childish. Police cannot control crime and are only seeking excuse with these enforcements.
Old 8th May 2012, 17:28   #1011
BHPian

So are all sun films banned or only some above a certain %. I was sure all sun films are banned and was planning to go and get them removed. But someone just told me that anything above a certain % only is banned and mine should not be an issue.
Old 8th May 2012, 17:33   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
So are all sun films banned or only some above a certain %. I was sure all sun films are banned and was planning to go and get them removed. But someone just told me that anything above a certain % only is banned and mine should not be an issue.
Simple: Usage of Sunfilm with any transparency is banned. Only tinted glass provided by manufacturer is valid.
Old 8th May 2012, 17:39   #1013
Distinguished - BHPian

In today's paper, here in Chennai, it is said that Pondy cops are enforcing this. Nothing more Chennai itself.

And, hidden safely behind sunfilm and sunglasses or not, I thought it was ogle, not oogle. Formally, I think it is, but, according to Google, the word exists, and I rather like it. I'll stop ogling at once. And start oogling!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 17:47   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
And, hidden safely behind sunfilm and sunglasses or not, I thought it was ogle, not oogle. Formally, I think it is, but, according to Google, the word exists, and I rather like it. I'll stop ogling at once. And start oogling!
et tu Brutus!

But please don't oogle from the safety of your car; remember - no more sun film
Old 8th May 2012, 17:54   #1015
BHPian

Do we have any news from pune on this? Any updates from traffic police website or by any other source? I am not able to decide should i remove it or wait and watch for sometime.
Old 8th May 2012, 18:14   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya@pune View Post
Do we have any news from pune on this? Any updates from traffic police website or by any other source? I am not able to decide should i remove it or wait and watch for sometime.
Aditya it has already started in Pune. 544 vehicles were fined in 3 days. But in Pune they are allowing VLT of 50% side and 70% front
crazyro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 18:17   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya@pune View Post
There have been reports of checks at HJW/ wakad. I also saw a few cops loitering around in a suspicious manner with some hand held devices in Kothrud though nobody stopped me or any other cars.
newspaper reports a couple of days ago mentioned some 500 + cars were fined, but I am not aware which areas they were in.

I am not removing any sunfilm from either of my cars and expect to wait for an incident to trigger this. Hopefully summer will be gone by then, and with our propensity to forget things and move on, this thing will die down before the next summer.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 18:17   #1018
BHPian

Rebut to rebut by petitioner:

1. Point No.1 : Makes no sense. Apart from the glass area, the rest of the body comprises of many layers, viz. outer sheet metal, frame, internal plastic upholstery(door pads), etc, all of which are opaque by the way and would definitely allow "zero" transmission of UV-Rays and the likes, irrespective of color. The petitioner would most likely use a black colored umbrella to shade himself from the sun, so even a black colored sheet would provide infinitely more comfort by providing "shade" vis-a-vis being right under the scorching sun. Don't know whether he is technically capable of differentiating between tinted glass and legal sun-films. I guess Mercs/Beemer have V-kool films fitted as OEM equipment (or so claims V-Kool), so shall these be passed on as tints? If so why ban the same films if they are fitted aftermarket.

2. Agreed! However a road is not considered as a public place while imposing a smoking ban.

3. Ok, so we endure a little inconvenience for the larger cause (cause: cops siesta). What if faceplates of audio system comes loose after regular snapping in and out? Well, who cares, if you can afford a car, you can buy new head-units on a quarterly basis. Who says accessories shops will run out of business? Aint it so, Mr.Petitioner?

4. Not applicable to India, immoral acts are committed both in seclusion as well as in front of public eyes.

5. Fitting of glasses from road side accessory shops? Are you serious? What about Quality? safety? rattles? Do you even know about automobile glasses Mr.Petitioner? They are not the same as vanity mirrors or the window panes in buildings. However, due to intermittent theft of accessories, the shops would infact have a hay day!
mi2n is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 18:18   #1019
BHPian

Next in line from SC post PIL from “Save Aam Admi”.. No Houses will be allowed to close doors and windows as many heinous crimes happen behind closed doors. You can’t wear long jackets with hood as it doesn’t reveal your identity, etc.

Are we trying to enforce a Taliban rule in India?

Last edited by soumobakshi : 8th May 2012 at 18:20.
Old 8th May 2012, 18:44   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Off topic: wasn't such a rule implemented couple of years back? I had removed my tints in Delhi during 2007. i am sure, this rule would be put on hold.
Till then my car would be parked in safety of my house.
Pramod
There was some rule like this implemented some time back( Heared form a reliable sunfilm dealer).

As i said earlier let us wait for some time and take decision. Use bike or other alternatives if possible. If the vehicle is must for daily commutation, then no option.

Some points in bangalore where you can expect cops
1. On sarjapur road, near to the fire station
2. Old ariport road just after HAL signal
3. Krpura Just before railway station
4. Koramangala near to BDA complex
devil_klm is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks