Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 09:16   #1081
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
this is misleading information please read this post by BTP,
Films within permissible limits are allowed

https://www.facebook.com/notes/banga...39495276116186
There is a difference between coloured glass and sun film. The facebook link you posted mentions that coloured glass of 70% and 50% is allowed which is true.

However sun film of 70% and 50% is not allowed.

Only glasses with natural tint that conform to 70/50 VLT are permitted.

This is the confusion which many people are not getting. The glass being natural tinted is allowed but sunfilm within the limit is not.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:17   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Films within permissible limits are allowed

https://www.facebook.com/notes/banga...39495276116186
@ms001, please post a screen shot of the relevant clarification by BTP on that page. The link you have given is not a post by BTP.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:17   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post

Having said so, I called up Nandi Toyota Bangalore and the accessories department mentions you can have sunfilms on the 70-50 range! When I asked them on the paragraph that mentions no films allowed on the supreme court verdict, they mentioned that's not so.

This led me confused! Are there any exceptions to the authorized car dealers?
Complete no, there are no exceptions, dealers will say many things to sell their product , but when you get the challan, they will not reimburse it.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:18   #1084
Team-BHP Support

Implementation of a law is not wrong, provided the intentions are good, and is not becoming a case of troubling the public at the given chance.

On an average, around a dozen die every hour in road accidents. How I wish, a similar zest was shown in enforcing seatbelts (in cars) and helmets for 2-wheeler commuters.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 09:22   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Pasting clarification by BTP on their facebook page

Quote:
1)) BLACK FILMS CONTRIBUTE TO COOLING OF VEHICLES - but firstly only those who use air conditioning, do pull up the glasses & air conditioning provides cooling any ways & further if cooling was an issue, then only silver & white cars would have sold, since they not only absorb the least heat and also increase night visibility of vehicles, hence making them least prone to accidents !! Further black films on glasses have been banned, but coloured glasses complying to (70%) front & (50%) side visibility are allowed.

2)) PRIVACY IS HAMPERED - privacy is about private places like homes & hotels, but not public places like roads.

3)) LAP TOPS & STEREO SYSTEMS ARE VISIBLE - both are portable devices & either can be carried at ease, to home or office or hidden beneath the car seats. It will also prevent the thief from opening the car out of curiosity as happens in case of heavy tinted glasses.

4)) WOMEN ARE UNSAFE WHILE DRIVING AT NIGHT - safety in public places is hampered because of factors which prevent public glare & not because of factors which ensure transparency. Only when there is absence of public glare - mobile phone conversation//drinking//immoral activity//movement of criminals//movement of illegal material//rape//molestation//kidnapping - is facilitated. Any illegal activity happening in presence of transparency, is an exception hence not universally followed.
Measures are adopted keeping the universal norms in mind & not exceptions. Just because (1) person survived a free fall from a high rise, others too do not make a bee line.

5)) CAR DECOR SHOPS WILL FACE DROP IN PROFITS - business will flow from selling coloured glasses instead of black films ... tomorrow if shops selling adulterated milk are shut will we protest ?? If these shops would not have mushroomed and sold illegal films in threatening proportions - the need of invoking a ban on black films, would not have arised.
So this says only colored glasses are allowed not films
Old 9th May 2012, 09:27   #1086
BHPian

Time and again BTP is using the words 'Black film not allowed' instead of 'sun film not allowed'. IMO, this is the root cause of the confusion.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:32   #1087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

@ms001, thanks !

I admit I have seen the post earlier. But it was not written very clearly, hence I did get confused.

But there is still a double ruling there. Glasses allowed, sun-film on glass not allowed.

Last edited by condor : 9th May 2012 at 09:46.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:33   #1088
BANNED

I am at a loss to even hear such trivial steps being taken by none other than the pinnacle of legal matters in the country. What next? The Commissioner of Police with breathalysers and President with a diktat to take them to task.

Anyhow, i do completely agree to the fact that a 'judgement' does not equal to law. As far as regulations are concerned, can someone please make me understand what does 'that have been rendered tinted windows by the car manufacturers ' mean?

As far as i knew, the tint provided by manufacturers equal nothing! and so, tints applied by 'dealers' should not, in the strictest term of the word, be considered as provided by 'manufacturer'.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:34   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Got fined 100 bucks for the film on my Palio. The most surprising thing is that ive had these on my car for the past 2 years and this includes countless nakabandhis and routine checks, was never pulled up. And today this wise cop thinks the film is too dark. Just another way to make a quick buck IMO.
Where did this happen. I have been lucky till now as i goto office and come back during the peak hours and i use the Aarey Colony Road, so till now been escaping. Did they rip off the films or did they kindly request you to get it removed.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:35   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I find it strange that people are still confused about sun films !!! even on facebook, i still see people asking same question again and again.

Guys, SC has banned all sorts of Sun films.. darkest of darkest.. or lightest shade.

The percentage mentioned is for manufacturer supplied tinted glasses(BTP has been technical in explaining that tinted glasses have some film inside, which is allowed) but i guess that is causing all confusion.

P.S: My car has pretty dark sun films(at least now i feel so) which my dealer gave free of cost when i bought it. Since i have no choice, i am sure i will get it removed before 19th May(still exploring options to get this removed)
Old 9th May 2012, 09:39   #1091
BHPian

So BTP just copied the petitioner's excuse against films and posted on their FB page, very funny.

Last edited by asdon : 9th May 2012 at 09:47.
asdon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 09:46   #1092
BANNED

I think we all agree that the Supreme Court has banned ALL FILMS. I just cannot understand what are we going on about.

Until a review petition is filed, accepted (success rate ~10%) and at least the judgement stayed there is nothing to argue about or discuss.

I for one have never used any film since 1987 so am not bothered.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 09:46   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

This is what todays TOI, bangalore says,

"Consultation Camps
Traffic police will set up consultation camps at a few places in the city where vehicle owners can even get their dark glasses removed and put the permissible density tinted one in place. Camps will be organized at Kanteerava Stadium, BRV Grounds, Indiranagar (near the RTO office), among other places, from May 10."

So, do they mean to say that permissible density sunfilms are allowed(as per supreme court its not allowed) and they will help changing the same in this camp? OR is it very easy to replace the glass to a tinted one(permissible density) in a camp like this?

Please read the complete news here,
Have tinted glass? Pay fine from May 19 - The Times of India
Old 9th May 2012, 09:53   #1094
BHPian

Right from the time I bought my car, I have sunfilm on only the 3 rear windows (ie. rearmost, and the 2 side windows for rear passengers). The dealer had put them on the front side windows also, but I made him remove them, because it hampered visibility at night when looking in the ORVM for traffic coming from behind before merging into traffic, making a turn, etc.

Thus, I dont have any sunfilm on the 3 front windows (ie. frontmost and the 2 side windows for front passengers).

Anyone done something similar? Is this allowed by SC/Blore-cops, or will I be stopped after May 19th? I think SC should have been reasonable and allowed this sort of sunfilming. It provides some respite from outside light/heat, and at the same time gives cops a view of the inside in nakabandis, etc (latter seems to be their main concern, however ridiculous we may feel it is).

Someone should suggest this to the powers that be.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:54   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post

For those who are still in doubt, please make sure no sunfilm is on your glass black/blue/green whatever, after 19th May, if no one challenges and gets a stay;

PS: I have removed films from all my glasses on 3rd May.
@asdon and everyone else.

Simple one line explanation is - No sun films allowed period.

I see you have already removed it. I have a defogger and was wondering if you took professional help to remove it ?

May I request you to share contact details if you did use professional help
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks