Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 09:55   #1096
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
TOI's Bangalore edition report is misleading, time and again they used black film, tints with % VLT allowed etc, why can't they just simple report as the judgement in actual?
Correct, the TOI report is completely misleading. Reading it, one will definitely get an impression that sun films with RTO approved VLT are permitted.

They have even mentioned that there will be camps held by the traffic police where you can remove the dark tinted ones and get the right density ones fitted at one place!

Quoting the news in Bangalore TOI edition.
Quote:
CONSULTATION CAMPS Traffic police will set up
consultation camps at a few places in the city where vehicle owners can even get their dark glasses removed and put the permissible density tinted one in place. Camps will be organized at Kanteerava Stadium, BRV Grounds, Indiranagar (near the RTO office), among other places, from May 10.
Old 9th May 2012, 09:55   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

But some people seem to think that criminals don't have any other good disguise apart from dark tinted glasses on their vehicles.

Please, guys, people have more intelligence than that.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 09:57   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@asdon and everyone else.

Simple one line explanation is - No sun films allowed period.

I see you have already removed it. I have a defogger and was wondering if you took professional help to remove it ?

May I request you to share contact details if you did use professional help
I got it removed By 3M HSR Layout guys, I had given my car for a package treatment, so the film removal was free.

Edit - They removed it in 10 minutes, if your film is from 3M,they there are no fear of glue sticking on glasses.

Last edited by asdon : 9th May 2012 at 10:04.
Old 9th May 2012, 10:03   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got it removed By 3M HSR Layout guys, I had given my car for a package treatment, so the film removal was free.
Few questions for you:
1. How much does package treatment cost? Dont mind doing this if they remove sunfilm for free.

2. I have 3M sunfilm on my car but it was not installed at the 3M shop. Will they still remove my sunfilm? If so, how much will they charge?
Old 9th May 2012, 10:08   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks asdon for the confirmation / response (and a quick one at it too).

Will check with folks @ 3M
Old 9th May 2012, 10:10   #1101
Distinguished - BHPian

So if I have a "natural" tint by not cleaning my car windows, will I get fined ? :P
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 10:14   #1102
Senior - BHPian

As per TOI, Bangalore edition today,

"Sun film on cars to attract penalty

If the sun film on your car violates the Supreme Courts stipulation 70% visibility for front and rear glasses,and 50% for the side ones youre in for trouble.The crackdown starts on May 19"

Now, I am confused
Old 9th May 2012, 10:16   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This is what todays TOI, bangalore says,

"Consultation Camps
Traffic police will set up consultation camps at a few places in the city where vehicle owners can even get their dark glasses removed and put the permissible density tinted one in place. Camps will be organized at Kanteerava Stadium, BRV Grounds, Indiranagar (near the RTO office), among other places, from May 10."

So, do they mean to say that permissible density sunfilms are allowed(as per supreme court its not allowed) and they will help changing the same in this camp? OR is it very easy to replace the glass to a tinted one(permissible density) in a camp like this?

Please read the complete news here,
Have tinted glass? Pay fine from May 19 - The Times of India
If that's the way the Bangalore City Police want to interpret the law, I am very happy that they have more common sense than the Supreme court bench. I think allowing the 70% VLT films is a good move by the Bangalore City Police. Hope they don't re-consider this decision.

OT: If BCP allows all of us to have 70VLT sun-film, are we all now in Z / Z+ category across the nation? j/k
Old 9th May 2012, 10:19   #1104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
As per TOI, Bangalore edition today,

"Sun film on cars to attract penalty

If the sun film on your car violates the Supreme Courts stipulation 70% visibility for front and rear glasses,and 50% for the side ones youre in for trouble.The crackdown starts on May 19"

Now, I am confused
Please read one or two page back, NO SUNFILMS, thats what is the ruling by the court.

@Funkykar - I took the Essential package, it costed me 1699+tax, but you don't have to opt for that to get it removed, their package starts from 499+tax.

@Madmax - Bangalore police might allow films of 70-50 segement, but when you travel outside of Karnataka, then you might be in trouble.

Last edited by asdon : 9th May 2012 at 10:23.
Old 9th May 2012, 10:22   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Been driving on the regular office route for a week now but haven't seen any action by the cops enroute. (Def Col-Ring Road-RTR-NH8-Udyog Vihar)

Removed the sun film for one of my neighbour's though, it was pretty easy. Just picked it from the edge and pulled it off. There were glue marks all over the glass but nothing that a water+car shampoo mix couldn't handle. Just sprayed it and wiped it off, the glass is as good as new.

With plans of taking the car out this weekend, I guess its time to remove the film on my car also.
Old 9th May 2012, 10:30   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please read one or two page back, NO SUNFILMS, thats what is the ruling by the court.
I am aware that No sunfilm is permitted and accordingly, I removed mine last week.

Then,

why this?

"Traffic police will set up consultation camps at a few places in the city where vehicle owners can even get their dark glasses removed and put the permissible density tinted one in place.Camps will be organized at Kanteerava Stadium,BRV Grounds,Indiranagar (near the RTO office),among other places,from May 10"

A separate rule for Bangalore?
Old 9th May 2012, 10:37   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Rebut to rebut by petitioner:

3. Ok, so we endure a little inconvenience for the larger cause (cause: cops siesta). What if faceplates of audio system comes loose after regular snapping in and out? Well, who cares, if you can afford a car, you can buy new head-units on a quarterly basis. Who says accessories shops will run out of business? Aint it so, Mr.Petitioner?
OK for those systems, having this facility. What about the double din system? Are we supposed to pull the complete system out everytime we lock the car in public places.
This all decision is like, you are getting tired after full day or work then don't work. No one is trying to find the solution for the real problem.
Seems Pune police is taking calls only for complete black film. Hope they will continue doing that , only problem is when i drive to mumbai.

Last edited by aditya@pune : 9th May 2012 at 10:46.
Old 9th May 2012, 10:41   #1108
BHPian

If this rule is implemented only in bangalore to help sunfilm manufacturers then it will be a contempt of court. When I last heard bangalore police was not above supreme court.

I will file a case if you could provide me more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am aware that No sunfilm is permitted and accordingly, I removed mine last week.

Then,

why this?

"Traffic police will set up consultation camps at a few places in the city where vehicle owners can even get their dark glasses removed and put the permissible density tinted one in place.Camps will be organized at Kanteerava Stadium,BRV Grounds,Indiranagar (near the RTO office),among other places,from May 10"

A separate rule for Bangalore?
Old 9th May 2012, 10:43   #1109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Rebut by petitioner ... Must read

RESPECTED SIRS,

THIS IS TO DRAW YOUR VALUABLE ATTENTION, TOWARDS THE UNFOUNDED FEARS AMONG SOME OF CAR OWNERS, REGARDING THE VEHICLE BEING HEATED DUE TO ABSENCE OF BLACK FILMS AND OTHER APPREHENSIONS TOO AND HENCE I AM EXTENDING SOME NOTEWORTHY POINTS WHICH CAN EFFECTIVELY COUNTER THE APPREHENSIONS BEING EXPRESSED AGAINST THE MOVE TO BAN BLACK FILMS ON VEHICLE GLASSES AND THE SAME CAN BE SHARED IN THE FACEBOOK PAGES OF THE RESPECTIVE POLICE AUTHORITIES !!

*****BLACK FILM BAN - CLARIFICATIONS (PLEASE SHARE TO EDUCATE OTHERS) !!
1)) BLACK FILMS CONTRIBUTE TO COOLING OF VEHICLES - but firstly only those who use air conditioning, do pull up the glasses & air conditioning provides cooling any ways & further if cooling was an issue, then only silver & white cars would have sold, since they not only absorb the least heat and also increase night visibility of vehicles, hence making them least prone to accidents !! Further black films on glasses have been banned, but coloured glasses complying to (70%) front & (50%) side visibility are allowed.
2)) PRIVACY IS HAMPERED - privacy is about private places like homes & hotels, but not public places like roads.
3)) LAP TOPS & STEREO SYSTEMS ARE VISIBLE - both are portable devices & either can be carried at ease, to home or office or hidden beneath the car seats. It will also prevent the thief from opening the car out of curiosity as happens in case of heavy tinted glasses.
4)) WOMEN ARE UNSAFE WHILE DRIVING AT NIGHT - safety in public places is hampered because of factors which prevent public glare & not because of factors which ensure transparency. Only when there is absence of public glare - mobile phone conversation//drinking//immoral activity//movement of criminals//movement of illegal material//rape//molestation//k
idnapping - is facilitated. Any illegal activity happening in presence of transparency, is an exception hence not universally followed.
Measures are adopted keeping the universal norms in mind & not exceptions. Just because (1) person survived a free fall from a high rise, others too do not make a bee line.
5)) CAR DECOR SHOPS WILL FACE DROP IN PROFITS - business will flow from selling coloured glasses instead of black films ... tomorrow if shops selling adulterated milk are shut will we protest ?? If these shops would not have mushroomed and sold illegal films in threatening proportions - the need of invoking a ban on black films, would not have arised.

Your’s Faithfully,
Avishek Goenka
(Petitioner).
This Gentleman really needs to experience a car with good sunfilms, and possibly needs to be educated on its merits. By his writing the above, it is amply clear he has no technical knowledge whatsoever and is coming up with silly alternatives to the concerns most people have.

1) Of course sunfilms contribute to the cooling of vehicles. Infact now white and silver will sell more with the sunfilm ban. Black film on glasses is banned, and he wants people to put colour glasses. Its only a matter of time before illegal black glasses reach the market.
2) Nonsense.
3) I've never heard of a thief opening a car out of curiosity. Rather letting everything be visible will invite more trouble. What a vivid imagination this chap has.
4) I don't understand what he is saying here. But because a handful of crimes were committed behind tinted windows it certainly does to mean everyone in a country of 2 billion will be doing something illegal behind tinted windows.
5) Didn't the SC ruling say it has to be tinted from the manufacturer and cannot be tinting afterwards. So how will accessories shops selling colour glasses be legal? It just shows how much thought has gone into this petition.

OT - But the next petition you all shall see filed by Mr. Avishek is to ban alcohol in the country to reduce drinking and driving accidents.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 10:58   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

To me it seems that this Supreme Court rulling will create problems for us for sometime. One by one every RTO will try to implement this ban on Sunfilms, fine the offenders & fulfill their Revenue Target for the month / Year.

After a couple of months, everyone will forget everything & Car Owners (who were unlucky this time to get thier Sun-Film removed) will slowly start re-applying light color Sunfilms on their Cars, which will not be opposed by Traffic Police.

Thus everyone will be happy - Sunfilms Manufacturers (as they will get new business), RTO offices (as their Revenue Targets are met), etc.. Only person to be unhappy & frustrated will be common man (in this case Car Owner)

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed